PDA

View Full Version : ATV / Utility Trailer

Duk Dog
02-29-2008, 07:54 PM
Well I am saving up to buy an ATV/utility trailer here one of these days. I am waffling between an open trailer, and one of the fully enclosed trailers. I am leaning towards an open trailer with the sides on it and tie down rails, likely around 6' x 10'. Currently I have one ATV, but I guess it is always possible at some point I might do a trip with someone else that also has an ATV, so I might consider the need for a trailer big enough for two quads. Besides the ATV I'd be carting around your usual gear that you take on hunting trips. My pickups always have a canopy on them, so it is always possible to leave gear in the truck bed and lock the canopy.
I am sure there are people on the board that have, or have had, one or both of these trailer styles. Any thoughts on advantages / disadvantages of one style over another? What about size suggestions? Obviously some considerations are the trailer cost, and an enclosed one maybe gives some piece of mind from a security stand point in that your quad is locked up and out of sight. Any other thoughts?
Thanks.

canadianbigbuck
02-29-2008, 11:23 PM
I myself, am lookin for a quad trailer. I think duk dog, an open flat deck would be better option, just my opinion though. I myself have one quad but would like to have a trailer for at least 2quads plus a moose or elk. I did the math and found for the quad i have (plus another one) a 6.5 X 12 would be perfect, and this would give you room for an animal if so desire. We measured everything up before i started the hunt for this size of trailer, i also pondered an enclosed one, but always came back to a flat deck style. I also have a canopy on my truck, but a flat deck in my opinion would be a better option, just my opion though. Just to put it out there, if anyone has a flat deck at least 6.5X12 with 15" tire trailer and wants to sell, i would be interested.

Brady
03-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Duk, I would definately go with a two position trailer. Even if you don't haul a second ATV, that extra room will work for gear, animals, tub trailers whatever. I have a 8 X 12 flatdeck V-nose, and witha little bit of creativity, we can load two fullsize quads, 6 foot tub trailer, ladders, stands, and even a wheelborrow, all at once. Shoulda took a pic, of that, but never got one, musta been the jag.....:sick: :sick:

Duk Dog
03-01-2008, 09:54 PM
You are making me nervous Brady. The bigger the trailer, the more stuff I will feel obligated to buy in order to fill it. :lol:

Brady
03-01-2008, 10:04 PM
LOL. I hear ya. I was out there for 4 weeks, and every time I came home to restock the cabinets, there was something that I figured I needed out at camp, wheelborrow, two extention ladders, ALL my treestands.......etc, etc. When it was time to break camp, all I could say was never again.....:lol:

You are making me nervous Brady. The bigger the trailer, the more stuff I will feel obligated to buy in order to fill it. :lol:

jrs
03-01-2008, 10:41 PM
We bought a big horse trailer for our ATV's and it was a great investment. We transport the quad at the front and the argo at the back, can fit in more gear than you'll ever use as well. Great for security when we're out by Edson or Hinton where lots of things seem to disappear if in plain view. Just thought I'd throw that option out there, prevents rocks and mud from damaging quads and gear as well which is a bonus. We looked at lots of enclosed atv trailers and most looked like they would rattle apart on the forestry trunk road after a year or two, stock trailers are a bit more heavy duty. I'd go plain jane flat deck trailer before enclosed light duty type unit.

gramps73
03-02-2008, 08:00 AM
I bought one of these trailers last year, love it. Model 638lw fits 2 quads and the axles are rated to 3000lbs.
www.alumaklm.com

G

nicholal
03-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Darren open ones are nice cheaper. But I think the enclosed ones have ther place as well. Quadding in summer or fall can double as sleeping quarter (high and dry). It can lock and used as storage space?....See where I'm going with this??

AL

Duk Dog
03-02-2008, 09:33 PM
I bought one of these trailers last year, love it. Model 638lw fits 2 quads and the axles are rated to 3000lbs.
www.alumaklm.com

G

Which dealer did you deal with? I've been meaning to go check out both Factory Outlet Trailers (Okotoks) and Airdrie Trailer Sales - and they are both listed as dealers on that web link you provided. Based on their web site FOT has lots of choices. Thanks for the feedback so far everyone.

Tuc
03-03-2008, 02:34 AM
Hey Duk, I'm sure I seen them at ATS.

Rackmastr
03-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Darren,
Look at is this way.....you want room to put a full moose and a quad on the trailer when the time comes. I think if you can get one long enough to fit a moose in front or along side your machine you'll be laughing. By the time you add in a treestand or two, the quad, and any animals, you'll want the extra room.

I'd personally lean on the open trailer side....a nice flat-deck with small walls (2ft max would be fine) and good lashing points to strap things down, etc. I dont like the idea of beating the snot out of an enclosed trailer down a trail or a mucky road in the fall, and I dont like the idea of loading/unloading a quad from the enclosed trailer 5-7 times in a day if you are doing some running around. Blood, mud, snow, etc is much better handled with an open trailer and I just could see the enclosed trailer hindering you from going where you want....

Brady
03-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Darren,
Look at is this way.....you want room to put a full moose and a quad on the trailer when the time comes. I think if you can get one long enough to fit a moose in front or along side your machine you'll be laughing. By the time you add in a treestand or two, the quad, and any animals, you'll want the extra room.

A big ditto to that.
I sure wish I had my trailer with me here.

gramps73
03-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Duk
FOT buy far are the cheapest, the service is okay and like you said they have a lot of inventory.
Gramps

Duk Dog
03-03-2008, 11:54 PM
Thanks again for all the replies. My next step will be to get out to FOT and Airdire Trailer Sales etc one of these weekends and look around.

sparky660
03-04-2008, 10:39 AM
For a hunter an open trailer is the way to go. The enclosed trailers are built tough enought to handle the contant pounding they take from lousy roads. If you can swing it get a 8X12 v-nose with the front ramps. It portects the quads and gives you lots of room for your gear and game. I bought a Yacht Club trailer and it has been awesome.

Doc Holiday
03-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Duk, check out Alberta Trailers at Innisfail also. I purchaced an 8 x 16 tandem axle there last spring. I was only gonna go 14ft, but changed my mind and went 16. For was it was worth fer 2 more ft... it was peanuts. I"m glad that I did. I found the pricing was better than Airdrie also.