PDA

View Full Version : Coyote attack!

Boulderman
03-01-2008, 08:51 AM
I live on an acerage east of Okotoks, last night I let my dog out to do his thing and a coyote attacked him right in front of my house on the driveway. He is just a little lasso appso, he got bit in the neck twice. He got away and made it to the front door and we let him in. We were in shock I ran and got my shotgun it was gone by the time i got back. I had lights turned on I would'nt think that they would come that close to the house. Will it be back again? Is there a way to keep them away from the house? My dog is still at the hospital and part of me hates coyotes and on the otherhand they are preditors and I did build my house right where they hunted before. So if there are any suggestions on keeping them away it would be appreciated.

catnthehat
03-01-2008, 09:01 AM
I live on an acerage east of Okotoks, last night I let my dog out to do his thing and a coyote attacked him right in front of my house on the driveway. He is just a little lasso appso, he got bit in the neck twice. He got away and made it to the front door and we let him in. We were in shock I ran and got my shotgun it was gone by the time i got back. I had lights turned on I would'nt think that they would come that close to the house. Will it be back again? Is there a way to keep them away from the house? My dog is still at the hospital and part of me hates coyotes and on the otherhand they are preditors and I did build my house right where they hunted before. So if there are any suggestions on keeping them away it would be appreciated.

We have coyotes all over the city, and they are a constant bain for small animal lovers.

A few years back my brother's girlfriend lost her min/pin to coyotes.
He let all three out ( he lives in the bush) and right away Timmy ( his Kouvoss guard dog) went nuts with a 'yote in the yard.
All three gave chase to the bush edge, with Timmy and Jasper ( his lab) hitting the brakes when they got to the edge of the bush.
The Min/Pin, being all balls and know brains, went right in after it.
You know the rest of the story - da boyz had "schnitzell" for supper that night!!
Short of shooting them in your yard whenever you see them, I am not sure there is an answer.
They roam our streets at night, our cross country trails, and our areas where pet owners walk their dogs.

many cats have not come home after being let out in the evening.

Cat

BlueNorther
03-01-2008, 09:07 AM
A freind of mine has a place east of Crossfeild and there are tons of song dogs out there.He had a couple in his yard all the time trying to get his wifes foo foo dogs.Anyways he killed one and took the hide and put it on the fence,hasn't seen a yote or a track of one in his yard since.

Versatile
03-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Why not buy a real dog? A pyrenese would keep coyotes at bay. A family member has one out on his acreage and he is right on the coullee. Lots of deer and shelter so there are lots of coyotes and the pyrenese doesnt have a problem.

Bushmaster
03-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Will it be back again?

Quite likely....he almost had a good meal.

catnthehat
03-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Why not buy a real dog? A pyrenese would keep coyotes at bay. A family member has one out on his acreage and he is right on the coullee. Lots of deer and shelter so there are lots of coyotes and the pyrenese doesnt have a problem.
There is nothing small or timid about a Kouvoss, Ryan!

This dog regularly kills coyotes, and is fast enough to stay out of the way of a bear's claws, and puts the run to them in the summer.
I agree with you,I think the whole deal would be to get a bigger dog as a companion to the smaller one however.
if the little guy is out in the yard with the big one, he should be safe enough.
The instance we were given, it was one coyote, and a bigger dog , as you you suggested would be more than enough .
In my example ( I just realized!) it was a lot different, as the coyote was trying to lure one dog away.
Cat

Versatile
03-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Cat I wasnt talking about the Kouvoss I was talking about Bouldermans Lasa Apso

gunman300
03-01-2008, 01:15 PM
A few years back, I was working down by Brooks. I went to this guys house to let hime know we were there and saw he had a big Rottweiler all bandaged up. I asked him what happend and he said a coyote beat the crap out of him. The Rotty must have been over 100 pounds. Looked like he tried to take on a chainsaw.

packhuntr
03-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Im happy to see no posts about killem all, bla bla bla. They are a vital part of the ecosystem no matter what part of the province you live in. Where i live down southern way, everyone of these acreage owners that hear their dog bark at night has whined and cryed claiming we have too many coyotes. Historically farmers and ranchers in the south have claimed they see huge losses to coyotes with livestock. I grew up farming and ranching, and im here to tell you, 99.9% of claims due to coyote predation are BS. If a rancher finds a calf during calving season and its been partially eaten, its blamed on the coyotes and there being too many. This is false, and like i said, a full 99.9% are nothing more than still born that the coyotes found and have scavenged. They are doing their job, something theyve been doing for years and years. The problem now is that the county has introduced this bounty in the county of Newell, and every tom dick and harry has been for quite afew years been knocking the p*ss out of them cause they can get another 10 dollars on top of the fur price. I enjoy afew called dogs every winter, but its to the point that ive had to give up shooting them. There just arent enough dogs around anymore. No doubt they are very prolific, and thank goodness for that, or we would be in big trouble here in this open country. I can only speak of what i see in the county of Newell. If i were to go dog hunting right now, i would have a very hard time showing you coyotes. I could show you a pair over in this section out to the west of here, and another pair over in that section, etc etc, you get my drift. That is no sh*t. Bottom line is that these acreage owners especially, need to realize that they are no longer living in town. If they dont want to see and have wildlife around, they need to go back to town. This is an issue ive been very mad about for a quite afew years. This bounty has done our coyotes no favors around my area, and there just arent enough of them running around to do their job. Ive been in a couple very heated debates with a couple folks near home about this, and theyve even said shoot all the deer. They are wrecking my newly planted shrubs and trees. i have no room in my heart for these dummies.

keep a strain on er.

Versatile
03-01-2008, 01:20 PM
Problem with coyotes is you only see the 1 but over the hill or around the bend there are 5 more. So you really got to be careful.

theduke
03-01-2008, 01:40 PM
there getting so bad even in the city of calgary, everynight when i take the pups out, i gotta search the yard, every night u can hear them going off like 1 block away,and on regular i see them running around almost tempeted to get the bow and go after them, damn laws

shootermcgavin
03-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Next time you see coyotes in your yard or in the city make the interaction beween humans and coyotes a bad one. Throw a rock, scream, sling shot... you could kill them but then another coyote is going to come along and do the same thing.... its when they are used to being around humans with no bad experiences when they attack.... and for your dogs i guess thats part of living in the country and having small animals...

catnthehat
03-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Cat I wasnt talking about the Kouvoss I was talking about Bouldermans Lasa Apso

Now THAT is a tiny dawg!!:lol:
Packhuntr, I seen them kill lambs and calves where I hunt coyotes, and I've seen the edamage they can do to a chicken coop.

The worst however, are the new breed of "coy/dog" the hybred crosses that are bigger , stronger , and smarter than a pure coyote.
My friend downeast who runs hounds told me that the coydogs will not eat anything they do not kill themselves, are harder to trap than a wolf, and will not try to evade hounds with evasive tactics - instead they will run straight, then turn and fight.
this more often than not turns out with a dead hound.

That being said,I hold no malice towards coyotes or any other animal for that matter, even that bears that used to rip up my trapline cabins and tents.

Cat

TreeGuy
03-01-2008, 03:07 PM
I live about a block away from a golf course that funnels down to the Bow River and we have a wack of 'em around. The course superintendant told a friend of mine that they picked up 49 cat collars last spring alone!

Other than them figuring out EXACTLY when garbage day is up our alley, I like 'em! Pretty cool to listen to them sing away almost every night when you are stuck in the subburbs.

As for the lost pets, I have zero sympathy for these urban folks who let their pets run loose.

Tree

Walleyes
03-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Shoot I found 2 cat collars in my yard last spring,, seems my old lab don't like cats either,, looks like I taught him something after all :wave: :wave:

lazy ike
03-01-2008, 03:35 PM

I saw 3 yotes make short work of a 120 lbs Pyrenese. The dog survived but could never walk properly again.

lazy ike
03-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Im happy to see no posts about killem all, bla bla bla. They are a vital part of the ecosystem no matter what part of the province you live in. Where i live down southern way, everyone of these acreage owners that hear their dog bark at night has whined and cryed claiming we have too many coyotes. Historically farmers and ranchers in the south have claimed they see huge losses to coyotes with livestock. I grew up farming and ranching, and im here to tell you, 99.9% of claims due to coyote predation are BS. If a rancher finds a calf during calving season and its been partially eaten, its blamed on the coyotes and there being too many. This is false, and like i said, a full 99.9% are nothing more than still born that the coyotes found and have scavenged. They are doing their job, something theyve been doing for years and years. The problem now is that the county has introduced this bounty in the county of Newell, and every tom dick and harry has been for quite afew years been knocking the p*ss out of them cause they can get another 10 dollars on top of the fur price. I enjoy afew called dogs every winter, but its to the point that ive had to give up shooting them. There just arent enough dogs around anymore. No doubt they are very prolific, and thank goodness for that, or we would be in big trouble here in this open country. I can only speak of what i see in the county of Newell. If i were to go dog hunting right now, i would have a very hard time showing you coyotes. I could show you a pair over in this section out to the west of here, and another pair over in that section, etc etc, you get my drift. That is no sh*t. Bottom line is that these acreage owners especially, need to realize that they are no longer living in town. If they dont want to see and have wildlife around, they need to go back to town. This is an issue ive been very mad about for a quite afew years. This bounty has done our coyotes no favors around my area, and there just arent enough of them running around to do their job. Ive been in a couple very heated debates with a couple folks near home about this, and theyve even said shoot all the deer. They are wrecking my newly planted shrubs and trees. i have no room in my heart for these dummies.

keep a strain on er.

Good post.

On the Ranches I hunt down South, yotes are OFF limits to hunters. For the "shoot dogs on sight crowd", the short answer is: They would rather loose a few barn cats and chickens and have yotes eating the afterbirth and gut piles, than keeping the chickens and cats and have Grizz cleaning up the gut piles.

catnthehat
03-01-2008, 04:55 PM
I agree, here's the rub - try to decimate the coyote, and he only gets stronger!!:sick:
He is the perfect predator/scavenger.

keeping him in check does not mean shooting every coyote you see.
They will control their own numbers.

I hunt them for the fun of hunting them, not because I have a vengeful attitude towards them.
Some of the land owners whose land I hunt on have different opinions however.

One thing for sure, at one time around the Westlock area you could see a coyote at 200 yards , stop, and take a look ( or shoot at him).
Now? They are like heavily hunted white tails - stop the truck and they are outta there!:lol: They learn REAL quick....

Cat

Versatile
03-01-2008, 05:15 PM
3 vs 1 isnt a fair fight. I would wage 2 pyrs against 3 or even 4 coyotes and the yotes are not going to stand a chance. This si what those dogs are bred to do. Take down and kill wolves and coyotes protecting sheep.

Walleyes
03-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Don't forget boys these breeds may have been originally bred to do such jobs but they hardly live the life now.. And as such evaluation is taking place in reverse to what they were bred for.. You can not compare a hand fed coddled pet to a wild animal that fights daily for survival... Don't care how big they are its just more to eat...

Versatile
03-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Thats why you buy one from working lines :rolleye2: :rolleye2:

You dont go to a dog show looking for a hunting dog.

packhuntr
03-01-2008, 06:02 PM
RyanGSP, i would put any ranch raised blue heeler dog up against any corn fed hound you could strap a pair of balls to, and that heelers gonna work im like hes rented. The example i used there would say that a dog thats just plain tough and was raised tough will perservere, (personality dictated though) If you match your high dollar, high and mighty bred dog up against a yipper in even odds, 1 on 1, youd best have the gun ready, and it wont be for putting the coyote out of its misery. I watched a cow dog we had when i was a kid run down and kill a coyote in the yard. When that yipper turned to fight it got froggy. That coyote wasnt a big dog, i remember it being young for what the old man said, but that coyote was good with the tools. Our Australian Shepard won, but it was a fight.

keep a strain on er.

Versatile
03-01-2008, 06:31 PM
What high and might dog are we talking about here? Are we still talking about the Pyrenese or have you started to single out my shorthair.

You want a dog fight I know where theres a few pittys that would love to get a hold of your heeler. Catch dogs for boars and coyote killers to the bone.

As for the shorthair, he takes them down when he needs too but I wouldnt recommend buying one to kill coyotes, nor would I unleash him on a coyote.

packhuntr
03-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Its gettin crazy now....I was just saying that coyotes are tough hombres. I wouldnt wanna stand toe to toe with one if i was a dog, no matter how much i was to like fighting. But...I happen to know where there is a heeler stud dog thats always looking for that sort of thing....Town dog snacks that is.:lol: :lol:

keep a strain on er.

Canuck44
03-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Coyotes are also smart little buggers, back in sask it was pretty common for them to use a female in heat to lure farm dogs away from the yard and then gang up on them and kill them. They wouldn't eat them, just kill em and leave em. This happened to some pretty big dogs too that were outside farm dogs that should know better.

Smart and tough, they aren't going anywhere.

Grizzly Adams
03-01-2008, 09:31 PM

keep a strain on er.

Easy enough to say that coyotes are a natural partof the eco system, but unfortunately, acreage country is not part oft he natural eco system. Coyotes, being as adaptive as they are, have learned to make the best of the situation and the people squatting there have to be willing to live with their idiosyncracies or put the fear of man back in them. That means we may have to kill a few, bla, bla, bla.:D
As for your opinion about coyote being benign scavengers, my neighbors would beg to differ.
Grizz

Rugersingle
03-01-2008, 09:48 PM
I've lost two dogs over the years to yote packs. Both were farm dogs. First was a 2 year old "sled dog", shipped south from the Arctic. Lasted one winter, was a heck of a fight by the mess in the snow but he still lost. Got a bigger dog, cross between a rotti and a dobermen..., lasted 2 winters. Both dogs were lost just outside my fenced yard and where the yard lights wouldnt reach. Finally I got smarter and got a "smarter" dog, cross between a pit bull and a border collie. Stiched her up once the second winter, when she was two and after that she wouldnt leave the yard, no matter what. My neighbor shot 75 yotes that winter I lost the first dog, just between my quarter , the next adjacent one and his. When attacked by a pack of six or more, no single dog has much of a chance.
I have a lot of respect for coyotes, they live in your neighborhood ,they live in your yard and they live in the city. Their smart ,aggressive, learn fast and they eat anything...dogs and cats included.
No matter how many get shot, trapped, hit by cars etc..they are always there in a population number that still manages to be the "clean up" squad. As a kid in Saskatchewan they were something we could "hunt" anytime. Back then you could get quite a few with a 22, now, like Cat said, they see a vehicle stop and they are moving. I built a hvy bbl 6mm just to reach out and touch the really "cheeeky" ones :evilgrin:

packhuntr
03-01-2008, 10:00 PM
I know exactly what it is you speak of Grizz. But i believe that in my area, we are way below what would be considered a healthy poulation, due to a severe overharvest. Im only speaking of what i see in the county of Newell and surrounding area. Hit the rivers to the north and the south, and your back into sufficient habitat to keep them in healthy numbers. I realize there are issues in this province with major centers and predators. Thats due to no gun hunting bylaws. That makes sence, weve overpopulated certain geographic areas. Its about safety. What i am speaking of here is the completely oposite end of the spectrum. Im only saying that these bountys should be a thing of the past. We have plenty of hunters in the province who are always seeking to get out and enjoy some of the seasonal hunting opportunities we have. In an area the size of southern Alberta, i dont think we have a shortage of man power to accomplish our management goals. Why do we have to harvest them to the point that there arent capable of contolling rabbit populations and the likes?????????I know they can be hard on upland birds and all, but that is just something we are going to have to deal with. Pheasants are not native, and without restocking, have largely been a failure. Thats not the coyotes fault, though you will hear from many upland hunters that we have to kill as many coyotes and fox as possible. I just dont know how good of a thing it is to see our coyotes persecuted like this....Bla bla bla.

keep a strain on er.

willy
03-01-2008, 10:06 PM
We shoot at any coyote we see around the yard tends to keep them away some. Our 2 labs like to chase them also sometimes think they are playin. Theres lots around here.

Pioneer2
03-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Could be worse in Kananaskis it's cougars eating dogs off the leash and in S.A. Brazil Sao Paulo jaguars in the city alleys................The coyotes need to meet a real dog........pitbull [3 coyotes foreplay]...........Harold

Reddog
03-02-2008, 09:48 AM
[QUOTE=catnthehat;118075]Now THAT is a tiny dawg!!:lol:
Packhuntr, I seen them kill lambs and calves where I hunt coyotes, and I've seen the edamage they can do to a chicken coop.

The worst however, are the new breed of "coy/dog" the hybred crosses that are bigger , stronger , and smarter than a pure coyote.
My friend downeast who runs hounds told me that the coydogs will not eat anything they do not kill themselves, are harder to trap than a wolf, and will not try to evade hounds with evasive tactics - instead they will run straight, then turn and fight.

That being said,I hold no malice towards coyotes or any other animal for that matter, even that bears that used to rip up my trapline cabins and tents.

Cat[/QUOT

So your saying that you've actually seen a coyote kill a calf? They have been known to preditate on sheep but bovine I don't believe it. I still live and work on the ranch and have not seen it once. I also trap them all through the winter so I know my coyotes better then the average weekend warrior drive around and shoot them type. The coy/dog is rare and do you actually think that the pampered domestic side of this cross is going to offer smarter brains to the coyote side which has been living survival of the smartest well for ever. The only thing that makes them menacing is the fact that may have some smaller fear of humans.
As far as your acreage dogs if a coyote is accustomed to something the only way to reverse is to get rid of it. Or get a pyrennes like has been mentioned. Wether they can kill a coyote I couldn't really say for sure but it will keep them out of your yard.

catnthehat
03-02-2008, 09:58 AM
[QUOTE=catnthehat;118075]Now THAT is a tiny dawg!!:lol:

Cat[/QUOT

So your saying that you've actually seen a coyote kill a calf? They have been known to preditate on sheep but bovine I don't believe it. I still live and work on the ranch and have not seen it once. I also trap them all through the winter so I know my coyotes better then the average weekend warrior drive around and shoot them type. The coy/dog is rare and do you actually think that the pampered domestic side of this cross is going to offer smarter brains to the coyote side which has been living survival of the smartest well for ever. The only thing that makes them menacing is the fact that may have some smaller fear of humans.
As far as your acreage dogs if a coyote is accustomed to something the only way to reverse is to get rid of it. Or get a pyrennes like has been mentioned. Wether they can kill a coyote I couldn't really say for sure but it will keep them out of your yard.
Well, you've just crossed the line, becuase I am ANYTHING but a "weekend warrior, and I take offense to you even insinuating that by answering as you have.
And no, the coydogs I am talking about in the area of Canada where they are found are not that rare.

Yes, I have seen them kill lambs, but maybe I should have been absolutly specific, no not I but my friend has seen them kill a new born calf.

This is the last I am going to say about this.

Vindalbakken
03-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Anyone who does not believe that coyotes can, have and will continue to predate on calves is foolish. Ask any rancher out east why they have Pyrenees, Kuvasz and Anatolian Sheperd dogs on the ranch. The heelers are not herd protection dogs. 15 years ago herd protection dogs were not a consideration. The coyote population is changing - adapting as they always do to a new feed source. Without some controls this change will become more and more widespread till it is throughout the population of coyotes.

Reddog
03-02-2008, 10:44 AM
I do apologize Cat I should have worded that more carefully. I didn't meen to direct that insinuation directly at you. In fact I probably shouldn't be using insinuations at all.

Perhaps I don't know much about the east but on ranchs out west here the predetation on bovine by coyotes is extremely rare. True coyotes are very capable of killing a newborn calf if the cow lets it get close enough. Anyone that has calved before knows what I'm talking about. No coyote could run off a cow. It is just extremely rare thats all. There is just to many easy meals around for them to try and sneak in past momma cow and grab that bellering calf. Like it has been said before most of the times if there is a calf found eaten then mostly likely it died of natural causes and then got eaten.

catnthehat
03-02-2008, 10:58 AM
I do apologize Cat I should have worded that more carefully. I didn't meen to direct that insinuation directly at you. In fact I probably shouldn't be using insinuations at all.

Perhaps I don't know much about the east but on ranchs out west here the predetation on bovine by coyotes is extremely rare. True coyotes are very capable of killing a newborn calf if the cow lets it get close enough. Anyone that has calved before knows what I'm talking about. No coyote could run off a cow. It is just extremely rare thats all. There is just to many easy meals around for them to try and sneak in past momma cow and grab that bellering calf. Like it has been said before most of the times if there is a calf found eaten then mostly likely it died of natural causes and then got eaten.

Well, I can accept your appolgy as a misunderstanding .:cool:

FWIW, I hunted and trapped actively for many years , guiding my first hunting clients in Northern Alberta before I was 21 years old.
2 months alone trapping for me was not uncommon.
I am basicly a "has been" however, as I do not get out as much these days as i used to , but I am very far from a " never was"!
I also worked calving operations when I was a kid, and also know that coyotes will hang around and eat the afterbirth of calves.
When I am hunting them with calls or over a bait I rarely see one however, as the time of year I am hunting generally they are paired up.
Cat

Reddog
03-02-2008, 11:09 AM
I only hope that one day I can be a has been. Better to be a has been then a never was. Has beens are the best to learn from. While doing night checks I always see the coyotes in close with the herd eating the yellow calf poops "we call them calf cheese for the coyotes" and after birth but they never get up to any funny business.

catnthehat
03-02-2008, 11:20 AM
I only hope that one day I can be a has been. Better to be a has been then a never was. Has beens are the best to learn from. While doing night checks I always see the coyotes in close with the herd eating the yellow calf poops "we call them calf cheese for the coyotes" and after birth but they never get up to any funny business.
Nuthin' wrong with being a "has been".
heck , sullijr was a "has been" before many of us were born!!!:lol:
Most times I would suspect they won't if they know you are around.
Anytime I have seen them and their " monkey business" it's been from a blind and from distance....
Cat

birdhunter99
03-02-2008, 11:23 AM
As far as bouldermans original question, you should build a chain link dog run for your little dog to use if you aren't around to watch him. That will give him room to stretch his legs and also keep the yotes from getting him. Taking steps to coexist with wildlife instead of killing it all off is what everyone needs to do.

I spend time in the County of Newell and see lots of coyotes, and numbers around Medicine Hat are also high. I don't think the bounty has had an effect. If it has it won't last long as coyotes produce more pups if populations are lowered.

One guy I know hunts them not with a rabbit call but by bellering like a domestic calf in distress. He did this on a ranch south of the Hat last year and had five dogs come in immediately and got 2. It would seem they must know what that sound means?

I agree that they get blamed for way more livestock than they take, but do not underestimate their ability to take down bigger animals, especially in winter when they are weakened or in deep snow.

catnthehat
03-02-2008, 11:28 AM
One guy I know hunts them not with a rabbit call but by bellering like a domestic calf in distress. He did this on a ranch south of the Hat last year and had five dogs come in immediately and got 2. It would seem they must know what that sound means?
Just as a slight hi-jack, i've used a sheepskin draped over the lower part of a fence, and a does skin as well, with the appropriate calls.

Cat

brownbomber
03-02-2008, 11:33 AM
gotta say never saw a coyote take down a calf, had more trouble from stray dogs. rememer a particulairly mean, but probably just desperate german shepard taking a couple of calves and injuring a colt badly he led a pack of other smaller dogs, i think i was 14 or 15 and my dad was working in camp so i was in charge and had to take a couple of them out with my dad's 30.06.
i used to really have it in for coyotes they got one of our cats and fought our dogs constantly, my parents house is right on their travel lane right next to the lake and between wooded areas and fields so the dogs were fighting almost all winter. they had a chesapeake that did really well for herself, only got in trouble once when one lured her out and there were 4 around the corner and it got pretty wild, but a big strong dog raised farm style can handle itself fairly well. even the bordie collie did okay a lot smaller than the chessie but still held her own, being quicker and still fairly strong and really smart has to help though.

the yotes are still bold though, my old dad has thinned them out considerably but still this winter they are getting braver the old chessie has passed on and the border collie too, now they have a border collie/blue heeler mix and the yotes jumped her on the deck and even when my mom was going for a walk with the dog one jumped out of the bushes on the side of the road and attacked the dog only a few feet from my mom. pretty wild and shows how brave the yotes can be i guess.

sullijr
03-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Nuthin' wrong with being a "has been".
heck , sullijr was a "has been" before many of us were born!!!:lol:
Most times I would suspect they won't if they know you are around.
Anytime I have seen them and their " monkey business" it's been from a blind and from distance....
Cat

Thanks I think!

packhuntr
03-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Birdhunter99, howdy there. Hey, you mention lots of coyotes around brooks area. How many coyotes did you see, and what time of the year was it. Was it before hides are prime and just getting cold??? I can show you a quite afew dogs then as well. There are pups running all over the place, but these pups of the year are what is getting shot and trapped through out the winter. Thats awesome, i enjoy afew myself as well. I just am not sure of the validity of the bounty here.....Would love to speak with someone in the know about coyotes and this changing ecosytem we share with these animals. Id love to be wrong, but i am in belief that we are taking WAY too many. I agree coyotes are very prolific, but where did you get your information that when coyote #s are down, they will have larger litters of pups. I heard that from one other guy this year and shrugged my shoulders:huh: . Ive never before heard of that and am unsure if its true???

keep a strain on er.

Tuc
03-02-2008, 12:12 PM
I know of a situation where a coyote chewed the face off a calf while being born. They had to put the calf down because he couldn't suck.

packhuntr
03-02-2008, 12:23 PM
TUC, thats too bad to be sure. Though i think its a very rare occurence, no doubt they are capable and it has happened. Once again, i have never in my life seen proof of coyotes dragging down calves in this country. Thats not to say it hasnt happened, but its EXTREMELY RARE, and its not NEARLY as frequent as guys are claiming....Thats a fact. In that breath, i think we have to accept that these animals are here and have to accept the fact that the odd occurence is going to take place. These coyotes were here a long time ago, and no doubt there were a pile more even 100 years ago than there are now. They have been eating the afterbirth of Buffalo and other plains game here for centuries, as well as controlling other small animal populations. They dont know they just ate a dead calf that someone owns.....To coyotes, these are wild animals, and they are a source of food in certain times of the year. Its very simple. Its like any other animal keying in on a seasonal food source. To think that a cull is needed and we need to basically eradicate them from certain areas, is insanity. They are a vital part of the prairie ecosystem.

keep a strain on er.

sullijr
03-02-2008, 12:28 PM
In retrospect I rather be known as a used to could.

catnthehat
03-02-2008, 12:43 PM
To think that a cull is needed and we need to basically eradicate them from certain areas, is insanity. They are a vital part of the prairie ecosystem.

I agree with that statement 100%!
cull them or eradicate them?
Anyone who knows anything about coyotes knows that that is an impossibility!!
That just ain't gonna happen for a few reasons, one, the fact that they will reproduce as their carrying capacity will allow.
They've been poisoneed, shot from planes, gunned by everybody that sees them, controlled drives, and hunted with hounds, all to no avail.
better off just to learn to live with them as best we can, because that is one critter that mankind will not decimate to extinction!!

Cat

Tuc
03-02-2008, 01:09 PM
TUC, thats too bad to be sure.

Pack, I didn't see this with my own eyes but I believe it to be true. I was then living on a acreage outside of Caroline and my next door neighbour was a farmer. Any of you's in that area might know the Farr's, Anyrate, Robbie was in the custom of dropping by for a coffee most early mornings when he would see my lights on. It was the calving season and he just came in from a run after checking his cows. He told me the story how he had come across 4 or 5 coyotes harrassing one of his cows. He was able to shoot one yote and drive the others off. After getting a closer look at the situation, he could see the newly born calf had no face. He figured the yotes got at the calf while the ole cow was giving birth. He had to finish off the calf with the 22.
After coffee we went out to the back of the truck and he showed me the calf. I don't know a thing about cows, yotes or the farming business but I can vouch for one thing, this calf only had a half of face.

birdhunter99
03-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Packhunter,

The areas I have seen lots of coyotes were Tide Lake (fall) and Cassils (fall and winter). I spend some time on a ranch west of Brooks and they have been dealing with lots of yotes all year, and did have a healthy month old calf eaten last spring.

It is my understanding that compensatory reproduction is fairly well understood in canines. Certainly many predator control strategies have seen rapid rebound of populations after control measures are stopped. I believe a study of this nature was done in Arizona to bolster pronghorn populations and it only resulted in increased productivity for a year or two before the coyotes were right back where they started. I did a quick search and found this reference, but I am currently not in possession of a book I own on coyotes that I recall said the same thing.

"Reproductive rates fluctuate as functions of the proportion of females that ovulate, the average number of ova shed, and in utero viabilities. Average litter sizes of 4.3 to 6.9 seemed to be inversely related to population density."

Preliminary Interpretations of Coyote Population Mechanics with Some Management Implications Frederick F. Knowlton The Journal of Wildlife Management, Vol. 36, No. 2 (Apr., 1972), pp. 369-382

Additionally you are wrong in stating that there were many more coyotes in the days of the bison, there were less. Wolves were king of the pile in those days and kept coyote numbers down. This is happening again around Yellowstone. As wolf numbers have recovered, coyote densities have declined and less packing of coyotes being documented. They are declining back into their place as second fiddle.

thumper
03-02-2008, 04:23 PM
I'll second that observation Birdhunter,

Years ago it wasn't unusual to see coyotes running in larger packs. The largest I've seen is 15 in one pack during the winter months on the Vermilion Lakes outside of Banff. But since wolves have repopulated our valley in good numbers, it's very rare now to see more than a couple of coyotes at a time.

In this past winter, well inside the town of Canmore, coyotes have bitten two children - one on her front lawn and one at a busy skating festival. They've taken lots of pets and have taken down 2 deer on the town golf course.

Despite the objections of the 'coyotes were here first' crowd, Fish and Wildlife shot 2 coyotes that seemed to be the boldest ones, the others seemed to get the lesson pretty quick, and although the odd cat still gets 'Missing' posters up around town ..... I haven't heard of any other episodes of coyotes getting into trouble.

Also, in my limited experience, in wide open country where an aggressive, heavy dog can use his weight to his advantage, I think a lot of different breeds can take down a coyote (like on a golf course where I've seen it) - but once the coyote is in broken country, brush or woods and can use his manuevrability to his advantage, the table turns on many domestic dogs.
My 90 pound pointer quickly learned to give up the chase at the edge of the fairway!

And as far as what eats dead coyotes ....I don't know why, but ravens seem to love gobbling them up, and with glee like a kitten on catnip. Even when there's a dead roadkilled deer available, I've noted that the poor coyote that got schmucked by a car trying to eat venison - is cleaned up 1st by the ravens. Don't know why - but I've wondered why many times.

packhuntr
03-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Thanks birdhunter99 for the information. This is just something ive had bouncing around in my head for a quite a while, and i have been bothered in the past by some folk's comments regarding these predators. I have taken what ive seen and interpreted it as best as could, and formed uneducated theories on some of the things that have been taking place. I would enjoy reading some on the theories of "compensatory reproduction", if indeed it is theory, it may be fact i might guess,,,, now.
I didnt account for the wolf as i was thinking and typing, but no doubt would stand to reason, that they did help keep coyote numbers in check before we started to influence this continent. Makes sence, as with relatively high birth rates in the canine family, and not being at the top of the chain, there is going to be a larger regulatory predator doing the job that we are now. I only still would wonder, if the idea of "compensatory reproduction" is accurate, are we indeed removing too many coyotes from certain areas.
Like i say though, im not college educated, and surely am not educated in what we are talking about, but it is very interesting stuff. There are no doubt people who know what they are talking about with this stuff. I would be interested to read a post on this from some of the SRD folks that are around and about or anyone else that is in the know on some of the things mentioned the last little while.

Thanks for your post there birdhntr99. Definately promotes though this stuff hey. Keep a strain on er.

birdhunter99
03-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Packhunter,

There is no reliable estimates for coyote populations to know if there are too many being taken in your area. However one thing about coyotes is they have large home ranges, and can disperse long distances so you can be certain more will come if there is a void to be filled, and you will not be without dogs to hunt. :)

A couple of the coyotes I shot this winter had mange, which tends to flare up when there are a lot of song dogs around, so lower densities are not always a bad thing.

Here is an interesting study looking at coyotes and wolves in yellowstone showing the effects of wolves on coyotes.

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1365-2656.2007.01287.x?cookieSet=1&journalCode=jae

To me the most redeeming feature of the coyote has been mentioned already, the fact that they kill cats. Free ranging cats do more damage to bird populations than coyotes ever will!!

Boulderman
03-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Some intresting reading boys. The little guy is tough he has a bunch if stiches staples and tubes hanging out of him right now. his spirits are good I think he will be fine as long as it does not get infected. I feel at fault I know he is not a large farm dog but still a great loyal family companion. I guess you get complacent. He is not a dog that needs to be kept on a leash he listens never goes far away so you trust him and loosen the reigns. Stupid me I'm totaly at fault. I guess I also never thought that they would come so close to the house it was 20 feet away from my front door with the lights on. Any way I will be building a run for him.
Thanks

Vindalbakken
03-02-2008, 07:26 PM
To me the most redeeming feature of the coyote has been mentioned already, the fact that they kill cats. Free ranging cats do more damage to bird populations than coyotes ever will!!

Not to mention the fact that the coyote helps keep fox populations suppressed in an area which is big factor in reducing nest predation for grouse and duck populations.