PDA

View Full Version : ***Official Badger Lake Derby Update Thread***

MoFugger21
02-23-2012, 05:31 PM
It's getting to be about that time!! :47b20s0:

Not sure if, or how many, guys will be able to update out there this weekend, but just in case.... Would be nice to hear how the other AO forumers are making out at the derby.

Good luck (but not THAT much luck, as I at least want a chance.... lol) out there fellow forumers!!

So feel free to post your pics, updates, stories, etc, in here!

harrydude
02-23-2012, 06:14 PM
We are here in the south east corner

MoFugger21
02-23-2012, 08:41 PM
We're heading out tomorrow morning. Hope to leave Vulcan 6:30am or before... Just depends what time I get to town. :) Though I'm sure our crew won't hesitate to leave me if I happen to sleep in, haha.

Hopefully we'll be registered and fishing tomorrow before the winning fish is already weighed in.... Lol.

lovich12
02-23-2012, 11:07 PM
Good luck to everyone. Everyone be careful on the ice. A few pressure ridges hangin around!

If anyone is looking for some entertainment, on Saturday night (around 8:30 or so), come to the Lomond arena across from the bar. Senior A playoff action. Lomond Lakers vs. Nanton Palomino's.

Joe
02-24-2012, 07:23 PM
Any updates. What winning?

MoFugger21
02-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Last I heard, which was around 130, the biggest was 24 and a guy needed 19 or 20 to get into the top 5. That may have changed since then though.

Pretty slow day for us, 2 on the ice, with a few a misses, the biggest was around 6 or 7 lbs.

And so far the score is: Giant Ice Heave/Breaker- 1 People in vehicles- 0

This morning we watched a dude on a quad try to cross the breaker, and the quad tried to take a nose dive thru. Luckily the quad didn't go all the way, and he was able to hop off unharmed.

Was interesting watching all the people drive up and contemplate trying to cross it...

vital shok
02-24-2012, 08:15 PM
On ice right know slow say 6 to seven under 5 pounds toO tall says suck it Lol good luck to everybody

Rudegger
02-24-2012, 08:40 PM
Caught one five pounder and saw several come check out my smelts on the camera but no takers. Guys beside us pulled up a decent size pike and some others by us pulled in a nice big perch. I'll get the thirty pounder tomorrow. :)

harrydude
02-25-2012, 05:52 AM
Do we call this a snow day or what ?

Were are the perch ?

Everone stay warm.....

Rudegger
02-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Here are the standings as of 12:30pm Saturday
#1 24.87
#2 24.06
#3 20.75
#4 20.62
#5 19.93

MoFugger21
02-25-2012, 01:03 PM
Well... Been beyond slow for us, and this wind and snow could **** off any time now.

And for those you keeping tabs, Giant Ice Heave/Breaker- 2 People in vehicles- 0

This time a truck tried to nose dive thru the breaker...

harrydude
02-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Snow is ok but the wind can **** off

Rudegger
02-25-2012, 01:59 PM
This wind is starting to get a little frightening... I must say the ice cube tent my wife bought me few years ago is holding up well in this crazy wind. Pretty slow day fishing wise. I have seen more perch and whitefish the same place there were tonnes of pike coming through yesterday.

Rudegger
02-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Derby is officially over at 6pm today due to weather and bad ice conditions. :(

MoFugger21
02-25-2012, 04:18 PM
Derby is officially over at 6pm today due to weather and bad ice conditions. :(

By 'bad ice conditions' do you mean 'too many stupid people trying to dump their trucks in the lake by driving over or around pressure ridges and ice heaves'? :)

Too bad we didn't know earlier, would have made more of an effort in this crap weather to move around and do more hunting for the big one. Oh well... maybe one of us won a door prize, lol

SIMPS
02-25-2012, 06:55 PM
A total joke cancelle the derby cause of lack of brains the organizers should of put up signs warning people and put up some stakes.people that try to go over a ridge really how dumb r u? Our group is staying on the lake tonight were we going we have the hockey games on beer lots of propane and gas to stay warm just a shame a few bad decisions by some stupid people wrecked the weekend for the rest of us oh well we will make the best of the night !!!!!

harrydude
02-25-2012, 07:08 PM
It is not cause of stupid people... It is cause the ice is moving with the wind

eggy
02-25-2012, 07:11 PM
28lbs won my buddy got 2nd with a 24.87lbs. I caught a 18.8 but got knocked off board when buddy got his.

SIMPS
02-25-2012, 07:16 PM
28lbs won my buddy got 2nd with a 24.87lbs. I caught a 18.8 but got knocked off board when buddy got his.

All vehicles went down at the pressure ridge what does that tell you?

harrydude
02-25-2012, 07:19 PM
That is what fish and wild life co said about the ice

Hurd a 2011 Ford in the bottom now

eggy
02-25-2012, 07:45 PM
I cant beleive people are that stupid to drive anywhere near pressure ridges, but as the saying goes you cant fix stupid

eggy
02-25-2012, 08:08 PM
http://http://s1090.photobucket.com/albums/i370/eggy10/

MoFugger21
02-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Pics from the north east corner pressure ridge

First one- Quad- 0 Giant Ice Heave- 1

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx61/MoFugger21/IMG043.jpg

Second one- Truck- 0 Giant Ice Heave- 2
Took 2 F&W trucks and the better part of an hour to pull out. I didn't get any pictures with my phone on this one.

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx61/MoFugger21/IMG045.jpg

eggy
02-25-2012, 08:51 PM
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i370/eggy10/006.jpghttp://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i370/eggy10/005.jpghttp://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i370/eggy10/001.jpg

SIMPS
02-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Is that the 28 pounder when was it caught we checked the weights at 3 u must have just beat it by a whisker since the derby ended at 6 good for you guys it's a nice fish!

Fishtracker
02-25-2012, 09:08 PM
So how many vehicles went through today?

eggy
02-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Is that the 28 pounder when was it caught we checked the weights at 3 u must have just beat it by a whisker since the derby ended at 6 good for you guys it's a nice fish!

the first two pics are the second place winner 24.87lbs and the last one is 18.8. I heard the 28 was caught at 3:30

gordfishing
02-25-2012, 09:38 PM
did a truck or two go throughout the ice ???????

rielbowhunter
02-25-2012, 10:35 PM
I would want some of my entrance fee money back. I don't think they should have closed the derby. I have saw a car go through the ice before, but you dont close the lake. going to read the rules again.

npauls
02-25-2012, 11:11 PM
I would want some of my entrance fee money back. I don't think they should have closed the derby. I have saw a car go through the ice before, but you dont close the lake. going to read the rules again.

They probably have some kind of clause written on the tickets about possible cancellation due to weather or ice conditions.

It is the same with open water tourneys. If it gets called off then that is the end of it. The organizers obviously thought competitors were at risk. I don't think any tourney would give any of the fees back if they canceled half way through.

HunterDave
02-25-2012, 11:28 PM
Is this the same Badger Lake that some members have been complaining about that there are no big pike left in? Are you kidding me.........LOOK at those fish for goodness sakes!!!!

Too bad about the derby getting shutdown but I'm sure that the organizers were worried about the safety/liability side of things.

Alpine Archer
02-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Hey Eggy, CONGRATS on the HOG!!! Kid looks proud :)

SIMPS
02-25-2012, 11:49 PM
The people running the derby should of had a sign at the headquarter everyone has to go there and register before fishing u could see it plane as day thur,fri,only later on sat the wind and snow made it hard to see.if they warned people about it this would habs never happened!the whole lake is safe except the pressure ridge lots of solid ice out there.its just a shame a lack of warnings and stupidity shut down a good derby.

HunterDave
02-26-2012, 12:06 AM
Honest question and I'm not trying to be a smart azz, I really want to know. I'm from out east and to me a pressure ridge involves ice that is pushed upwards. I've heard them called, what I think out here as the same thing, called ice heaves. Where I'm from pressure ridges aren't something that is hidden under the snow and you can see them. What is different out here? Do people not know what they are or what? :confused:

lovich12
02-26-2012, 04:38 AM
Well... Been beyond slow for us, and this wind and snow could **** off any time now.

And for those you keeping tabs, Giant Ice Heave/Breaker- 2 People in vehicles- 0

This time a truck tried to nose dive thru the breaker...

Check that Mo. Ice breaker-5 Vehicles 0. Just talked to a buddy who's close with the organizers and that was the final verdict. After today i don't blame them. You couldn't see much of anything and if you didn't know it was there you would have gone thru...as we found out. We managed to save one guy and his mini van from going thru. Thank God for rear view mirrors!!!

burbotman
02-26-2012, 08:46 AM
Is this the same Badger Lake that some members have been complaining about that there are no big pike left in? Are you kidding me.........LOOK at those fish for goodness sakes!!!!

Too bad about the derby getting shutdown but I'm sure that the organizers were worried about the safety/liability side of things.

Agreed, this must be proof positive that the fishery is as good as it has ever been.
I heard a 20lb came out of clear last year so I don't know why they are planning changes on that lake......

packhuntr
02-26-2012, 08:59 AM
Agreed, this must be proof positive that the fishery is as good as it has ever been.
I heard a 20lb came out of clear last year so I don't know why they are planning changes on that lake......

LOL no doubt eh LOLOL! Hey HunterDave, someone saw a whooping crane last year, man whats everyone so worked up about, theres lots

harrydude
02-26-2012, 09:26 AM
Any up to date pics of the ice

Gators
02-26-2012, 09:53 AM
HunterDave, If you read our post on Badger you would realize this is the size of fish we are trying to keep in the fishery. Does a lake always have to collapse before something gets done about it.

bucktaker
02-26-2012, 10:08 AM
I think cancelling the derby was a good idea. We went out thursday morning and the weekend before. If you did not know what was going on with that heave you could get in serious trouble. People see big fifth wheels and campers out on ice they think it is safe and go barrelling across. It was in a bad location right by the boat launch. Kudos on event staff for putting on the derby again. We will be back next year again and if you cant afford the $40.00 for a ticket chances are you should stay home and watch the weather channel. You are paying for the experience, fun and memories of the event with friends. Think of the stories those that fell threw will have to tell for years. Plus I won the 50/50 :sHa_shakeshout:

Lefty-Canuck
02-26-2012, 10:21 AM
Is this a catch and release tourney? or a catch, weigh, and keep if you want tourney?

Just curious. I have fished badger in the spring and its the place that got me hooked on "pike on the fly"

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd460/lefty-canuck/IMG-20120226-00253.jpg

LC

npauls
02-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Is this a catch and release tourney? or a catch, weigh, and keep if you want tourney?

Just curious. I have fished badger in the spring and its the place that got me hooked on "pike on the fly"

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd460/lefty-canuck/IMG-20120226-00253.jpg

LC

All legal tournaments/derbys in Alberta are catch and release.

I think the problem some people have with the derby is that it draws a ton of attention to that lake for the rest of the year and it sees quite a bit of traffic.

Lefty-Canuck
02-26-2012, 10:29 AM
All legal tournaments/derbys in Alberta are catch and release.

I think the problem some people have with the derby is that it draws a ton of attention to that lake for the rest of the year and it sees quite a bit of traffic.

OK gotcha! Thanks for the clarification as you can tell I don't tourney fish hardly at all :). Thats what I thought.... it must be C&R or why bother with tubs/coolers full of water.

LC

Who Da Fisherman
02-26-2012, 10:49 AM
LOL no doubt eh LOLOL! Hey HunterDave, someone saw a whooping crane last year, man whats everyone so worked up about, theres lots

x2. Hundreds of lines out there and only 1 28lber and couple of low 20's. Ya she's doing great!

Gators
02-26-2012, 11:09 AM
When the derby first started the winning fish was 28-30lbs, first, second, third place etc. were always just a few ounces less. Lately seems like there is getting to be a bigger gap between the winning fish. Maybe this means there are fewer big fish in there? I don't know. Maybe F&W could test net the lake to check the overall fish population and size.

Buck Krazy
02-26-2012, 11:42 AM
How do they weigh the fish that are caught and released at the derbys ie newell and badger. I know at crawling its by the gills. If they weigh these big fish like that I would have to say its kinda pointless having a c and r derby because these fish are most likely damaged.

icefever
02-26-2012, 11:51 AM
At newell they place them in a sling and weigh them

tightlines
02-26-2012, 03:06 PM
They use the sling for the monsters out there at Badger as well. I also heard there was an rv that broke through the ice close to shore last night around 7pm, and someone at the commercial hotel said someone also fell through the ice on foot. Dont know if theres any truth to that last one, but there were many smart people out there racing along the east end of the lake from the north to the south in there trucks and others trying to cross the breaker, so i guess anything is possible!

Mr Slu Shark
02-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Other then the crazy wind storm it was a great weekend! I caught the 24.06:sHa_shakeshout:, It was the first fish of the day for us!! The three of us managed to pull out about 10 fish and lost a bunch as well. My dad brother and I had a blast! I agree they should have not ended the tourny early (although I can see why they did) thursday and friday you could see the heave pretty well but by sat it was snowed right in and was hard too see in some places. Even though most of us know not to drive over stuff like that the organizers should have warned everyone as they registered, posted signs or markers on the lake or somthing! There was no mention of the heave at all!! I feal bad for those of you that broke through, what a way to ruin the weekend!!!

My only complaint is with the weigh in procedures. I noticed when we were leaving they had a different scale set up at the office where you register. Instead of a sling they had a trough and a nice industrial scale. This is what all the weigh in stations should of had instead of weighing the fish in a sling and watching the numbers jump all over the place in the wind and then trying to weigh the empty sling after to minus it's weight.... some years it comes down to an oz or two differnce for a winning fish... just my .02 and they should be taking pics of the winning fish like they do at crawling valley.

I don't think theres any shortage of big fish in this lake.... if you look at the previous derby winners on the badger lake website 28lbs is the biggest fish caught in the derby as far as it goes back on the site (since 2005!!!) Congrats to the winner that was sure a hog!

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t372/Mrslushark/P1010184.jpg
HOME SWEET HOME!
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t372/Mrslushark/P1010186.jpg
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t372/Mrslushark/P1010188.jpg
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t372/Mrslushark/P1010191.jpg
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t372/Mrslushark/P1010190.jpg
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t372/Mrslushark/P1010189.jpg
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t372/Mrslushark/P1010193.jpg

canadiantdi
02-26-2012, 03:43 PM
x2. Hundreds of lines out there and only 1 28lber and couple of low 20's. Ya she's doing great!

That's not bad.. you'd only have to go out hundreds of times to catch a big one! Let's see, I get out maybe 10-15 times per winter. I should be able to catch one big one sometime within the next 10-20 years. And that's only if the hogs get put back!

lovich12
02-26-2012, 04:54 PM
As i've stated before (in a previous thread) just cause people aren't catching them doesn't mean they aren't there. There is a **** load of lake that isn't even being fished.

mongo
02-26-2012, 09:00 PM
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i370/eggy10/006.jpghttp://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i370/eggy10/005.jpghttp://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i370/eggy10/001.jpg

hope your not still ****ed about getting bumped ...lol....have to give ya credit on location 24.8 its the biggest fish ive pulled through the ice.

HunterDave
02-26-2012, 09:19 PM

You are comparing the number and size of the pike caught on Saturday at Badger to seeing a whooping crane? Put the pipe down son.............:bad_boys_20:

canadiantdi
02-26-2012, 09:23 PM
You are comparing the number and size of the pike caught on Saturday at Badger to seeing a whooping crane? Put the pipe down son.............:bad_boys_20:

Please tell me that you can understand the point he was trying to make.. Please.

HunterDave
02-26-2012, 09:44 PM
That's not bad.. you'd only have to go out hundreds of times to catch a big one! Let's see, I get out maybe 10-15 times per winter. I should be able to catch one big one sometime within the next 10-20 years. And that's only if the hogs get put back!

Holy me oh my! :rolleye2: That's why they call it fishing and not catching! :snapoutofit:

I think that you and some of the other guys that are complaining about not being able to catch bigger pike ought to have a good look in the mirror. LOOK at the pike that these guys caught on Saturday for goodness sakes! They weren't there for a year, a month or a week..........they were there for one day of fishing for goodness sakes!

I'm thinking that, with this sense of entitlement that some of you guys feel, you are pretty young. Here's a newsflash for you.........If you want something you are going to have to work for it, no one is going to give it to you!

There are guys on this forum that have been fishing +20 years and they are posting pictures of their personal best 24lb pike. I'm sure that there are other people that have been fishing longer that are still trying to catch a 24 lber. For some reason you think that you should be able to go out a couple of times and catch a 30 lber. What the heck is wrong with you?

canadiantdi
02-26-2012, 10:25 PM
Holy me oh my! :rolleye2: That's why they call it fishing and not catching! :snapoutofit:

I think that you and some of the other guys that are complaining about not being able to catch bigger pike ought to have a good look in the mirror. LOOK at the pike that these guys caught on Saturday for goodness sakes! They weren't there for a year, a month or a week..........they were there for one day of fishing for goodness sakes!

wow, this was only their first time fishing??? come on. My comment was pointing out that big fish like that are rare, and it's only going to get worse. Look at the increased fishing pressure, look at people keeping them. Do you really think it's going to get better?

I'm thinking that, with this sense of entitlement that some of you guys feel, you are pretty young. Here's a newsflash for you.........If you want something you are going to have to work for it, no one is going to give it to you!

I am obviously not saying that you shouldn't have to put the work in to catch the fish. The people with the sense of entitlement that you are talking about just want a strong fishery. People can see some fisheries in Alberta declining. Are there still big fish in these lakes?? Sure! But are there as many as before?? Get real, you know exactly what we're saying.

There are guys on this forum that have been fishing +20 years and they are posting pictures of their personal best 24lb pike. I'm sure that there are other people that have been fishing longer that are still trying to catch a 24 lber. For some reason you think that you should be able to go out a couple of times and catch a 30 lber. What the heck is wrong with you?

I am trying to explain myself to someone who is refusing to understand.

v

packhuntr
02-27-2012, 06:36 AM

LOL. Educate yourself for goodness sake... When you can "cut the mustard" on ANY level and not just talk about what you think you know, come on back. Your rant a couple posts above is showing your level of incompetence AGAIN HunterDave.

buckhunter270
02-27-2012, 07:15 AM
Fishing was the best its ever been for our group in the last 12 yrs of the derby.We caught lots in the 5-8 lb range and a 12 and 16 pounder.And missed lots of good hits. Thank you to the derby volunteers for the tough decision on calling the derby early due to safety concerns.:fighting0030:

Dr.D
02-27-2012, 08:12 AM

How many days have u spent on badger lake?

TyreeUM
02-27-2012, 09:48 AM

Did you ever think that your the reason you aren't catching big fish and it really has nothing to do with the lake and the fish that are in it?

canadiantdi
02-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Did you ever think that your the reason you aren't catching big fish and it really has nothing to do with the lake and the fish that are in it?

It was a sarcastic post lol...

I was pointing out that just because there were a couple big fish caught during a derby with hundreds of people fishing, doesn't mean that the big ones are plentiful.

klow
02-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Big fish don't get that big by being stupid,lol.

DeereTrucker
02-27-2012, 09:27 PM
How do they weigh the fish that are caught and released at the derbys ie newell and badger. I know at crawling its by the gills. If they weigh these big fish like that I would have to say its kinda pointless having a c and r derby because these fish are most likely damaged.

You haven't been to the Crawling Valley Derby for a few years have you. They have been using a net for quite a while.

Mr Slu Shark
02-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Yes at crawling valley they use a sling.... been going for the last three years and they always had a sling. IMO crawling valley seems like the most legit tourny i've ever entered. There is only one weigh station at the center of the lake, so same scale, same guy using the scale etc. Usualy theres a conservation officer at the weigh in for the duration of the tourny helping record weights and overseeing everything.....

WayneChristie
02-28-2012, 05:55 PM
I have heard that 5 trucks and 1 quad went through the ice, and one is in 30 feet of water, any truth to that story?

MoFugger21
02-28-2012, 06:35 PM
I have heard that 5 trucks and 1 quad went through the ice, and one is in 30 feet of water, any truth to that story?

More or less what I heard. 5 trucks, a quad and a motor-home broke thru with one of trucks showing nothing but its tailgate when it was all said and done.

We about 200 yards away from where the quad(Friday) and a truck(Saturday) broke thru on the NE side (pretty close to the same spot). And then had a van go whizzing by us, heading straight for the breaker, right towards where the 2 F&W trucks and the truck they just got finished pulling out were sitting ... It had gotten by us before we could stop it, so a couple of us started yelling and waving our arms, and so did the people on the other side of the break... Luckily the van got stopped and turned around before heading down 30ft. Came over to us to find out what was going on, and had no idea about the breaker, nor could you see it by this time. The blowing snow made it very hard to see...

Rough weekend for some folks and their vehicles though.

harrydude
02-28-2012, 08:44 PM
Anyone down on badger this week?

WayneChristie
02-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Anyone down on badger this week?

yah 5 trucks and a quad :bad_boys_20:

B.Hoppe
02-29-2012, 07:42 AM
2 quads went, and 2 cars also. we pulled 1 car out friday evening.

Steve51
02-22-2014, 09:51 AM
Hey guys I know this is a little past the last post. Lol are you allowed to stay the night on the ice during the badger derby?

gramps73
02-22-2014, 05:52 PM
Yes

Steve51
02-22-2014, 09:45 PM
Awesome thanks