PDA

View Full Version : Good place for Cisco (Tullibee)?

Albertafisher
02-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Does anyone know a good place to fish for these guys? I've heard good things about this species (great fighter, numbers, and great tablefare). Does anyone know any lakes that are good for them?
Thanks in advance! :wave:

TROLLER
02-26-2012, 04:03 PM
Never heard of anyone fishing for em. Frankly i would not even know how
to fish for em.

There are Tulaby in Crawling Valley Res. by Bassano and the only reason I know that is because you see em floating after they die. CO told me they have a certain live expectancy then they go tits up. It's also my understanding that they are primary vegatarian.

Never seen anyone fishing for them.

Good luck

BeeGuy
02-26-2012, 04:06 PM
I could be wrong but I thought Cisco were primarily plankton eaters.

No idea where to find them in these parts.

Albertafisher
02-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Thanks you two! The are insectivores and plankton eaters, so it would be like fishing for whitefish. I appreciate the information!

pikergolf
02-26-2012, 04:39 PM
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/science/publications/uww-msm/articles/tullibee-hareng-eng.htm
From what I remember reading about them years ago in eastern publications they seem to need deeper water than whites. I googled it and one of the Slave lakes came up, I would think Cold Lake would have a population as well.

BeeGuy
02-26-2012, 04:58 PM
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/science/publications/uww-msm/articles/tullibee-hareng-eng.htm
From what I remember reading about them years ago in eastern publications they seem to need deeper water than whites. I googled it and one of the Slave lakes came up, I would think Cold Lake would have a population as well.

x2

They are a staple for lakers.

Speckle55
02-26-2012, 05:12 PM
search on here as in 2009 there was a post Cisco/Tullibee.. the gov has info on which lakes have them.. i have read lots on them but you can Google Tullibee and read.. also most library have info on or can get from others.. also the World Record book IGFA(International Game Fish Assoc) have a read on all spiecies.. Lesser Slave Lake has lots and lots of other lakes in Alberta.. if you want to call 310-0000 and ask for your fishery Bio and he will help with info in your area

Food for Thought
David

fish farmer
02-26-2012, 05:16 PM
If they're vegetarians/only eat plankton, then why do they catch thousands of them in the quapelle chain of lakes northeast of Regina in the winter? I believe their diet is very similar to whitefish. Also cisco are a more cool water fish that's why for the most part you only find them in big deep lakes and in the north.

BeeGuy
02-26-2012, 05:28 PM
If they're vegetarians/only eat plankton, then why do they catch thousands of them in the quapelle chain of lakes northeast of Regina in the winter? I believe their diet is very similar to whitefish. Also cisco are a more cool water fish that's why for the most part you only find them in big deep lakes and in the north.

That's right. Whitefish eat plankton too.

Not all plankton is plant-based.

fish farmer
02-26-2012, 05:31 PM
That's right. Whitefish eat plankton too.

Not all plankton is plant-based.

I'd like to see a plankton imitation lure though. Whitefish eat minnows and bugs as well. I'm not saying cisco et minnows but I do know the guys targeting them use setups very similar to perch and whitefish with maggots for bait. So why would they hit these hooks if they only ate plankton?

fish farmer
02-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Back to the original topic, the closest place to catch them/where people target them is the quapelle chain northeast of regina

drifter
02-26-2012, 06:05 PM
Back to the original topic, the closest place to catch them/where people target them is the quapelle chain northeast of regina

Lots in the lakes of the Qu'Appelle Valley.

huntin'fool
02-26-2012, 06:25 PM
calling lake is FULL of tullibees

trampywinter
02-26-2012, 06:25 PM
I have caught them out of Goodfish Lake about 5 years ago. I haven't fished there since but at that time we would fish over by the NorthEast part of the lake where there is a shelf. If they are not there the go to the middle of the lake and place your hook in about 5-10 feet of water. Fish them just as you would like a white fish.

CantThinkOfAName
02-26-2012, 07:39 PM
Do a search on Fishing Sask.ca. It will yield some results.
http://www.fishingsaskatchewan.ca/new/forum/index.php/topic?f=18&t=243&hilit=Cisco
http://www.fishingsaskatchewan.ca/new/forum/index.php/topic?f=10&t=4189&hilit=Cisco
Hopefully that helps a bit.

Sooner
02-27-2012, 02:20 PM
I was always told the lake beside Carson Lake has Cisco/Tulibee. Check with Whitecourt F&W. I heard that from a friend.

TROLLER
02-27-2012, 03:36 PM

Don't think that is the closest place to Edmonton. As I posted above they are in Crawling Valley at Bassano.

davegrant
03-01-2012, 07:18 AM
Caught one at Baptiste years ago and thought it was a whitefish but it has small scales. Tried to eat it tons of bones and tasted like mud. Terrible taste not worth keeping.

Jwood 456
03-01-2012, 10:57 AM
I would see massive schools of tullibee swim by the camera near the Canyon creek area of Lesser Slave Lake. My fishing partner tried dropping a weighted fly down but no luck though.

Albertafisher
03-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Caught one at Baptiste years ago and thought it was a whitefish but it has small scales. Tried to eat it tons of bones and tasted like mud. Terrible taste not worth keeping.

I go to Baptiste quite a lot. I'm not surprised that the Cisco's taste like but, because of all the blue-green.

Jwood 456
03-01-2012, 11:02 AM
I was always told the lake beside Carson Lake has Cisco/Tulibee. Check with Whitecourt F&W. I heard that from a friend.

Yeah that's Pegasus (little McLeod) lake. That lake gets to 75ft deep so I think Cisco could easilly live in there. I was fishing there one time and saw this large school of what looked to be small whitefish swimming by my wire worm.

Alberta Redneck
03-01-2012, 11:12 AM
You can also catch them at Utikima

Okotokian
03-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Does anyone know a good place to fish for these guys? I've heard good things about this species (great fighter, numbers, and great tablefare). Does anyone know any lakes that are good for them?

Somebody's been reading the most recent issue of "Outdoor Life". ;)

More Ciscoe = More Walleye

gube
03-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Slave is full of tulibees. Use a small spoon tipped with meal worm or maggots. Use of a flasher is ideal to catch them at different depths. The only issue I have found with them, is they usually have parasitic worms in the meat.

Dark Horn
03-01-2012, 09:58 PM
I catch them every year. Tiny jig with maggots. I get them and whites together in say about 6 fow. They are not great fighters, maybe compared to other 12" fish they are They are basically small whitefish and are commonly parasitic so not sure about good table fare either.

Albertafisher
03-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Somebody's been reading the most recent issue of "Outdoor Life". ;)

More Ciscoe = More Walleye

Actually I haven't! I just was watching some YouTube clip about them and thought I would ask, because they seem like an interesting species to catch :reading:

SNAPFisher
03-01-2012, 10:26 PM

Hey there, not really sure why you would want to catch them??? First, they are small, most around the 10-12 inch mark. Second, they are very wormy.

However, if your really interested you've missed the best season as they spawn in January. Next year, try Marie Lake up by Cold Lake in mid-Jan. They run around there by the hundreds. I get them going with a spoon and then the whites follow them in to see what is up. Then you catch white, after white, after white, repeat, repeat....Crazy place!!

Dark Horn
03-01-2012, 10:31 PM
[QUOTE=SNAPFisher;1327539]Hey there, not really sure why you would want to catch them??? First, they are small, most around the 10-12 inch mark. Second, they are very wormy.

However, if your really interested you've missed the best season as they spawn in January. Next year, try Marie Lake up by Cold Lake in mid-Jan. They run around there by the hundreds. I get them going with a spoon and then the whites follow them in to see what is up. Then you catch white, after white, after white, repeat, repeat....Crazy place!![/QUOTE

You do catch white after white but everyone I have caught is also wormy. Not huge whites either

SNAPFisher
03-01-2012, 10:42 PM
You do catch white after white but everyone I have caught is also wormy. Not huge whites either

Agreed, but they are huge compared to the small tullibee.

TyreeUM
03-02-2012, 04:42 AM
Actually I haven't! I just was watching some YouTube clip about them and thought I would ask, because they seem like an interesting species to catch :reading:

Why do you want to catch these - they are great bait but are they not illegal to use in Alberta?

packhuntr
03-02-2012, 06:46 AM
TyreeUM, If a guy wanted to make sure he caught the Ab slam he'd likely need to be putting an X beside them too? Im only afew fish shy, but will decievingly declare myself finished without that species LOL:acigar:

Shmag
03-02-2012, 06:49 AM
Alot of the posts are mentioning slave lk. Quick story, about ten yrs ago i was fishing out in the faust bay area. A native came by that just pulled a net off the far point past driftpile creek. He had some nice pike and walleye so after talking with him we thought we would follow his tracks and try fish around where he had his net. We got there and there was about 100 tulibee left on the ice. I have heard that they can get wormy, so we cut one open, split it like an open book. Sure enough, you could see maggot type worms all through the meat, at least 10 on each side. Maybe they aren't wormy on other lakes, but they were on slave that long ago.

Not sure about table fare for this guy but knock yourself out,lol. Also heard they were alot more greasier than whites.

echo
03-02-2012, 07:35 AM
Marie Lake

topgun
03-02-2012, 07:44 AM
Redneck is right Utik is full of em!