PDA

View Full Version : is earthworm not good for ice fishing?

coyotezh
02-27-2012, 07:17 PM
watched lots of video and asked many people on sites. not a single one used earthworm for ice fishing. most of them used minnow or maggots or even plastic jigs. Is the earthworm really not the one for ice fishing?

deepfried
02-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Good question! Been ice fishing lots and never even thought of worms

nicemustang
02-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Personally I've never seen them available to buy in stores in winter. Plus they freeze and die really easily.

BeeGuy
02-27-2012, 07:23 PM
caught whites and perch on them this winter, but dont use them a lot.

I only use a very small piece when I do use them, fish love the taste.

Caught a 2.5lb brookie on a whole one this winter as well.

Pikecrazed
02-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Ice fished bonavista this year with them but it was better for catching the suckers than trout had 6 pounds of sucker and 1 pound of trout

TROLLER
02-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Use em all the time. All ya gotta do is make sure you keep em in your jacket then they won't freeze.

fish gunner
02-27-2012, 07:51 PM
perch love worms,walleye eat them.trout to.

Kevwood
02-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Worms are tied for the top 3 perch baits for me...pink maggots, worms & bacon...just use a small chunk of worm, 1cm long max...good luck!

BobLoblaw
02-27-2012, 08:31 PM
Personally I've never seen them available to buy in stores in winter. Plus they freeze and die really easily.

Just keep a couple in your mouth to keep them from freezing...:)
(I actually tucked a few maggots inside my bottom lip once while icefishing. I told my BIL that's how we kept them from freezing. He thought I was kidding until I showed him; then he nearly lost his lunch.:sHa_sarcasticlol:)

horsetrader
02-27-2012, 08:34 PM
(I actually tucked a few maggots inside my bottom lip once while icefishing. I told my BIL that's how we kept them from freezing. He thought I was kidding until I showed him; then he nearly lost his lunch.:sHa_sarcasticlol:)

hahahahahahahahahahah...

horsetrader
02-27-2012, 08:35 PM
I use worms for perch in winter no problem

Dewey Cox
02-27-2012, 08:46 PM
The worms are kind of hard to dig up this time of year.

Guitarplayingfish
02-27-2012, 08:46 PM
I don't use them in winter, but thats mainly because I can't dig them up in my backyard... or Im not willing to in the cold! haha.

Dewey Cox
02-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Is there an echo in here?

kevinhits
02-27-2012, 08:50 PM

Just the goofer I met this weekend... Does not suprise me after chatting with you Steve..LOL..

Seriously, I was fishing in montana using worms and> maggots( for kokes) and i had non stop action on worms for perch. Cut the dew worms at least in half and great action. It was warm enough in Montana so the worms would not freeze and I kept the maggots in my pocket to keep them warm and snuggly for the Kokanee..LOL

Guitarplayingfish
02-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Is there an echo in here?

We posted at exactly the same time, give us a break :sign0176:

Cal
02-27-2012, 09:25 PM
I've used them lots for trout and caught a few perch in the process. I usualy jig a lure tipped with magots and deadstick half a dew worm on a #6 hook. The deadsticked dew worm usualy catches more trout while the teardrop takes more perch but either way the dew worms work.

deepfried
02-27-2012, 10:32 PM
Hmmm may have to give them a whirl now for ice fishing

HunterDave
02-27-2012, 11:09 PM
Last year I was using shrimp for ice fishing trout. The first time out this year I forgot them so I picked up a small tub of dew worms. I had great luck all winter with them for both perch and trout so I didn't bother changing back.

I usually keep my tub of worms in a ziplock bag in the fridge. Last week the lid popped and I didn't have the bag zipped. When my wife opened the fridge in the morning she wasn't very impressed to see that numerous worm were "exploring" the inside of the fridge........I probably shouldn't have laughed so hard when she told me about it either........women have no sense of Ha Ha. :)

Oh, and the tub of worms are now in the garage frozen solid. :(

Speckle55
02-27-2012, 11:17 PM
I use them Dew Worms for Brook Trout on a jig head/ half worm the tail .and the Cutthroats in the same lake love them too. ice fishing Nov 1 to Dec 15 use a green jig head
David

TyreeUM
02-28-2012, 06:40 AM
I use worms on tipups for brookies and they work great.

Geezle
02-28-2012, 08:07 AM
1" long chunk of dew worm on a 1/32oz jig head is pretty much my go-to for early season trout :)

Drewski Canuck
02-28-2012, 08:48 AM
Chain Lakes near Athabasca, 30 FOW, mid day, non stop action. trout love the small trout worms on a jig head in the winter. Keep the bag inside your coat, and what you take out you use.

Drewski

TROLLER
02-28-2012, 05:03 PM
The worms are kind of hard to dig up this time of year.

Wall Mart and Can Tire sell em year round.

claystone
02-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Dew worm and a piece of powerbait always works for bows.

czoom
02-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Sure it will work for perch and other fish. Try it out!!!

fishingmaster2097
02-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Last year I was using shrimp for ice fishing trout. The first time out this year I forgot them so I picked up a small tub of dew worms. I had great luck all winter with them for both perch and trout so I didn't bother changing back.

I usually keep my tub of worms in a ziplock bag in the fridge. Last week the lid popped and I didn't have the bag zipped. When my wife opened the fridge in the morning she wasn't very impressed to see that numerous worm were "exploring" the inside of the fridge........I probably shouldn't have laughed so hard when she told me about it either........women have no sense of Ha Ha. :)

Oh, and the tub of worms are now in the garage frozen solid. :(

I used them in the summer for perch, literally as soon as I threw my line out and the bobber set on the water, it was under. I have a similar story:

I had a whole tub of dew worms kept in my fridge, and I left the lid open a bit so they wouldn't suffocate in their, and the gap between the lid and the tub was to small for a worm to crawl out, but the next day, I opened the fridge and the lid was on the next shelf. I guess it got pushed off, by a worm, and I found one worm exploring the fridge like Christopher Columbus trying to find America, and then a month later I found a dead soldier (worm) under a pop can....Mom found it actually and screamed and was yelling at me for not putting the lid on fully:sign0068:...I kind of felt sorry for her, for scaring her but...It was kinda funny because after she started laughing at herself for screaming so loud:sHa_sarcasticlol: So ya.

HunterDave
02-29-2012, 05:14 PM
I had a whole tub of dew worms kept in my fridge, and I left the lid open a bit so they wouldn't suffocate in their, and the gap between the lid and the tub was to small for a worm to crawl out, but the next day, I opened the fridge and the lid was on the next shelf. I guess it got pushed off, by a worm........

:lol: Yes, they will pop the lid by themselves. I believe that is exactly what happened to me. I had 2 half tubs of worms and my wife hinted that I should put the worms in one tub so, the next time that I went fishing that's what I did. Too many worms for the size of the container and they will get organized enough to escape. Lesson learned. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

EDIT........I'm pretty sure that my wife has already done it but I think that I'd better go check under the pop cans. :)

Jwood 456
02-29-2012, 05:35 PM
I swear by using worms whenever trout fishing, whether it's summer or winter. When the fish get picky during the winter, I'll just add a chartreuse marshmallow to hide the hook point and to give it a slower more wounded looking action.

fishingmaster2097
02-29-2012, 06:55 PM
:lol: Yes, they will pop the lid by themselves. I believe that is exactly what happened to me. I had 2 half tubs of worms and my wife hinted that I should put the worms in one tub so, the next time that I went fishing that's what I did. Too many worms for the size of the container and they will get organized enough to escape. Lesson learned. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

EDIT........I'm pretty sure that my wife has already done it but I think that I'd better go check under the pop cans. :)

Ya, It's pretty funny how they push the lid off:sHa_sarcasticlol: