PDA

View Full Version : smoked fish recipe

pikekalk
03-02-2008, 03:48 PM
anyone have a fav and good smoked fish recipe they are willing to share?

lippy
03-02-2008, 06:30 PM
anyone have a fav and good smoked fish recipe they are willing to share?

1 Cup Pickling Salt
1 Medium Onion minced
2 Garlic Cloves Crushed
1 Tablespoon Pepper
4 ounces Lemon juice
4 ounces Brown Sugar
1 Gallon Water
Add first 6 ingredients to the gallon of water in a Crock or Glass container. Add fish - Brine frozen for 24 hours or fresh fish for 12 hours. Stir it up 2 or 3 times. Drain pat/air dry fish and smoke. Your choice of smoking chip flavour.:)

German
03-02-2008, 09:36 PM
How long do you smoke it for? Can you eat after smoking it, or do you have to boil it or bake it?

lippy
03-23-2008, 03:32 PM
How long do you smoke it for? Can you eat after smoking it, or do you have to boil it or bake it?

We used to smoke the fish at about 150 - 160 degrees F for about 5-6 hours as I recall( unless it is really cold outside ):) . We left the skin on and smoked the fish on the racks-skin side down -otherwise the flesh stuck and made a mess! I used to start the smoke process with a pan of hickory smoke chips( I know it is supposed to be for red meat but with this brine it was tasty) I would fill up the pan at least twice during the process( 3 times altogether ). There is no need to cook it after - in fact if you have a few friends over and some beer you'll be lucky to have any fish left over by the time the process is done :lol: :lol: :lol:
The thicker the fish the longer you'll need in the smoker.:)

OutwardBound
03-25-2008, 01:00 PM
1 1/2 cups - Kikkoman Soy Sauce
1 cup - White Wine
1 cup - Water
1/4 cup - Coarse Salt
1/3 cup - Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp - Onion Salt
1/2 tsp - Ground Black Pepper
2 tsp - Franks Red Hot
3 - 4 - Minced Garlic Cloves

Put brine in fridge for 24 hours
Marinade on fish for 24 hours (ziploc bag in fridge)
Smoke with maple wood for 1.5 hours @ 200 F preheated

The Fisherman Guy
04-01-2008, 03:29 PM
I tried a scaled down version of your recipe CRBHunter, and heck yes it was good.I used it on some nice rainbows, that I caught last week. The only thing I did extra was place the smoked fish in a ziploc bag with a 1/4 cup of brown sugar and shook it all over the fish once it was in the bag. Left it in the fridge overnight, and the next day it had a tasty sticky coating. Compliments the dryness of well smoked fish. Wow, damn it was good,REALLY REAALLY GOOD RECIPE!!!!!:D :D :D

owlhoot
04-01-2008, 07:03 PM
A fisherman I know dry brines his trout in Lawreys seasoning salt in the fridge for a couple days before smoking, They are better than any wet brines I've tried.