PDA

View Full Version : How to rabbit hunt?

Comstar
02-29-2012, 05:40 PM
I have never been rabbit hunting but I am interested.
Could you tell me some of the basics please, like were to go, what gun,ect

Thanks

nof60
02-29-2012, 06:04 PM

Thanks

How do you catch a unique rabbit???????

Unique up on him

How do you catch a tame rabbit???????

The tame way

nof60
02-29-2012, 06:12 PM
Minimum 416 Rigby

fish gunner
02-29-2012, 06:23 PM
flannel hat with ear flaps, flannel jacket. largest shot gun you can afford,10ga should do.drive to the forest .walk vewy vewy quyiet. you are hunting wabbits.

mudbug
02-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Use a marshmellow gun, the rabbit will thank you for it ;)

Comstar
02-29-2012, 06:27 PM
You guys are not helping me to much...:sign0176:

mudbug
02-29-2012, 06:31 PM

Sorry about that. I have a soft spot for rabbits and don't hunt them at all. After keeping and raising them for over 35 years they manage to get a free
" get out of being hunted card" from me :)

If you do a thread search you will find that there has a been a bunch of threads on the topic that will give you lots of great info.

Comstar
02-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Sorry about that. I have a soft spot for rabbits and don't hunt them at all. After keeping and raising them for over 35 years they manage to get a free
" get out of being hunted card" from me :)

If you do a thread search you will find that there has a been a bunch of threads on the topic that will give you lots of great info.

Thank you for a serious answer,

I also think of rabbits as more pets then varmints, just thought a should toss out the question, I will probably just end up waiting for gophers anyway but I felt the need to ask.

fish gunner
02-29-2012, 06:36 PM
sorry man could not help my self. lmao. a.22lr or shot gun 12ga works but a higher gauge is better suited to small game. get a map of your county, find a spot you feel may contain rabbits. find the land owner ask permission. go kill bunnys. south west of rocky mountain house is where my wabbit hunting friend has good luck.

nof60
02-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Sorry dude, couldn't resist

.22 or shotgun, I have the most luck around creeks

nof60
02-29-2012, 06:46 PM
Oh and I might add they are really good to eat, look up a recipe for jugged hare or rabbit stew. I'm not kidding, if you get a couple cook em up.

Grizzly Adams
02-29-2012, 07:41 PM

Best rabbit hunt I ever went on, involved half a dozen guys and some Beagles. :D

Grizz

Comstar
02-29-2012, 09:21 PM
Oh and I might add they are really good to eat, look up a recipe for jugged hare or rabbit stew. I'm not kidding, if you get a couple cook em up.

That's what ive heard, my dad said when he was young they used to eat them once and a while.

Jamie Black R/T
03-01-2012, 10:13 AM
That's what ive heard, my dad said when he was young they used to eat them once and a while.

rabbits are fantastic eating for sure.

you just need to find a quarter of land that is mostly bush and get in there....move slow and stop often to watch for movement....fresh snow helps to see where they are most active.

22 rimfire to the head or neck will minimize meat damage....12 gauge could make a mess of them.

I would head south east of town if i were you.....knock on some doors and talk to people..you will find some...and you may find someone with a gopher patch to offer in the spring as well.

Could you tell me some of the basics please, like were to go

outdoors will be a start

7mm08
03-01-2012, 05:11 PM
I have hunting permission a quarter section of land in a river valley south of here. Lots of willow and scrub. Excellent rabbit hunting. I carry my 10/22 and walk slowly through the thick stuff...because thats the only option in the thick stuff...looking under every bush and blowdown. Occasionally I will see an eye, or catch a glimpse of one moving to another hide-e-hole. Head shots make quick work and ruin no meat.

As for eating them...YES..I soak them in a brine for about 6 to 10 hours...then boil them for 20 mins in water with sugar, bay leaves, onion and celery. Remove the rabbit, take the meat off the bone. Throw in a pan with a drizzle of olive oil, red and yellow peppers, spanish onion, garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Sautee this until the veg is tender. Then deglaze with 1/4 cup of white wine. Serve over linguini or spaghetti. yummy.

insurgus
03-01-2012, 05:23 PM
I have hunting permission a quarter section of land in a river valley south of here. Lots of willow and scrub. Excellent rabbit hunting. I carry my 10/22 and walk slowly through the thick stuff...because thats the only option in the thick stuff...looking under every bush and blowdown. Occasionally I will see an eye, or catch a glimpse of one moving to another hide-e-hole. Head shots make quick work and ruin no meat.

As for eating them...YES..I soak them in a brine for about 6 to 10 hours...then boil them for 20 mins in water with sugar, bay leaves, onion and celery. Remove the rabbit, take the meat off the bone. Throw in a pan with a drizzle of olive oil, red and yellow peppers, spanish onion, garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Sautee this until the veg is tender. Then deglaze with 1/4 cup of white wine. Serve over linguini or spaghetti. yummy.

My stomach just growled at me. Thanks....

IHUNT
03-01-2012, 05:29 PM
My stomach just growled at me. Thanks....

X2!!!! Man that sounds super tasty!

Speckle55
03-01-2012, 05:31 PM
i agree with the Jamie and 7mm posts.. here is mine from the other day 22 LR .. fun fun fun48000

Rovin
03-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Best rabbit hunt I ever went on, involved half a dozen guys and some Beagles. :D

Grizz

I agree, nothing better than hearing the bay of a beagle tracking a hare!

Lefty-Canuck
03-01-2012, 06:54 PM

Thanks

Find rabbit...aim....shoot, a pellet gun might do it but I would prefer a .22lr.

Hope this helps! :)

LC :)

Alberta Bigbore
03-02-2012, 03:38 PM
with this snow....I look under deadfall and under bushes... Best to concentrate on looking for the rabbits "eye." I like to use a .22 lr or a 12 gauge.

Earlier this year when there was no snow on the ground, It was like looking for a Safeway grocery bag on the yellow/brown ground. So fun.

Rather Be Hunting
03-02-2012, 04:02 PM
flannel hat with ear flaps, flannel jacket. largest shot gun you can afford,10ga should do.drive to the forest .walk vewy vewy quyiet. you are hunting wabbits.

Now that's funny!:)

Rovin
03-02-2012, 07:08 PM

Thanks

If you planning on working the bush for snowshoe hare, 22lr is usless, you'll need a shot gun for a moving target. My choice would be a 12 guage.

Erik
03-07-2012, 10:19 PM
I recommend a shotgun because you will probably be shooting in thick cover most of the time. I find a 12 ga a bit big for the job, but it will do if that's all you have. Frankly I find a 20ga to be about the perfect shotgun for rabbit, but I typically use my 16 ga. A 410 would work as well but is on the lighter side and with the 20ga you get the versatility of a shotgun that can be used for upland birds and perhaps even ducks if you choose. I use a #6 shot due to the fact that I am shooting around my dogs, but a #4 shot would work just as well, if not better. If you have the opportunity to hunt rabbits with Beagles I highly recommend the experience. Good luck and happy rabbit hunting!

marlin1
03-07-2012, 10:53 PM
22lr or 16 for us , jacks are out there , just got to find them

a little redneck
03-07-2012, 11:25 PM
Use a 22lr. Used to hunt them as a teenager. Just don't hunt them during tick season or else you'll have ticks everywhere. Look for rabbit droppings / tracks in the bushes and the rabbits are not far away. Best time to learn is the first snowfall or when the snow is going away, you'll see them better. Tons of them in Calgary, even saw a coyote a month ago walking on the sidewalk.

sinawalli
03-09-2012, 08:26 AM
When I was a kid, my friend would hunt them with his beagle. Butch (short for Butcher, cause he always brought home the meat), would pick up on a rabbit, chase him, we would wait, the dog would would always seem to run a big circle, and when he would be coming back around in front of us, the dog would back off, and allow us to shoot the rabbit as he ran by. Awesome fun! Dog was amazing! If you use a .22, your shooting skills will improve big time!! Have fun!!