PDA

View Full Version : House Reno's Exterior

Rudy198
03-02-2008, 07:59 PM
not again reno's.....was wondering if anyone out there know's of a good company or someone who they can trust to do some reno's on the exterior of the house..
Currently we have stucco with that ugly looking smashed beer bottle look and was thinking of getting siding.As well we want new windows and maybe doors.

If anyone know's someone or is interested let me know

Tuc
03-03-2008, 02:41 AM
Rudy, I hired Greg Martineau Projects (out of Calgary) last fall to do my windows, doors and siding.
They too are caught in the work shortage crunch. The carpenter was a competent and knowledgable guy but I wouldn't give two cents for his helper.

Overall, not bad, I'd give them a 8 out of 10.

Jamie
03-03-2008, 08:14 AM
Rudy, you can paint that stuff.

Throw up a picture of the outside and lets see what ideas we can come up with.

Jamie

gopherslayer
03-03-2008, 12:20 PM

Rudy198
03-03-2008, 05:23 PM
this isn't my house but it's the one right across the road for sale,same year,same style.If you want a better pic or something more specific let me know

Grizzly Adams
03-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Rudy, you can paint that stuff.

Jamie
Don't think it will work too well with that "beer bottle" stucco. Shell, it's just that easy:D , recommends some kind of elastometric ? stuff My plan would be to knock it off and start over, maybe installing some extra insulation. Makes window installation much easier too.
Grizz

Jamie
03-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Yes you can paint it.. I had the exact same stuff on our Reno house. It came out nice. Obviously stuff that is crumbling needs to be replaced.
DO NOT rip this stuff off.. You are much better to insulate then put on siding.
I will try and find a pic showing exactly how nice it comes out. Our house was very similar.

Jamie

junior009
03-04-2008, 05:47 AM
Did a reno on a house very close to that one a number of years ago (been doing siding for 11 years) and I agree dont rip the stuff off leave it on and add extra insulation to the outside. You can build out the windows and put a nice metal cladding on them in the front or all the way around would look pretty good. I would come have a look but that would be a bit far from Grande Prairie.
Mike

gopherslayer
03-04-2008, 06:25 AM
DO NOT rip this stuff off.. You are much better to insulate then put on siding.
I will try and find a pic showing exactly how nice it comes out. Our house was very similar.

Jamie

Exactly why? You sell them, what are your construction credentials? The fact that you did paint your "turn over" house does not mean it was the right thing to do. Did you seal every crack around every window or door? Stick to getting your 7% on sales. God you are an expert of Freaking everything :rolleye2:

Did a reno on a house very close to that one a number of years ago (been doing siding for 11 years) and I agree dont rip the stuff off leave it on and add extra insulation to the outside. You can build out the windows and put a nice metal cladding on them in the front or all the way around would look pretty good. I would come have a look but that would be a bit far from Grande Prairie.

I disagree. First I have never seen any medal cladding that looked nice after 2 or 3 years. Caulking goes, metal fades and it looks like crap. Second, if you leave the stucco on and put in new windows, the 3/4 to an inch that sticks out past the windows and doors looks terrible. Not to mention that if the stucco wasn't put on with the correct air space behind it all it is doing is conducting the cold from the siding to the insulation to the stucco through the studs, into the house. With all the added costs going this way, I would still choose to do the job right the first time.

Good luck Rudy...Think this was my last post here :wave:

Grizzly Adams
03-04-2008, 08:09 AM
All the siding I've ever ripped off, over stucco, was put on with concrete nails.:D

Grizz

lazy ike
03-04-2008, 08:45 AM
I owned my own Paitning co for a few years and yes you can paint that stuff.

I would HIGHLY recommend you foolow this routine.

1. Wait until the ambient exterior temp is consistanly above 13C

2. Wash your house down with a garden hose. Do not use a pressure washer as the higher pressure can actually impregnate the stucco and remain their for a couple of weeks , even if there is little humidity.

3. Use a decent airless and spray the body of the house down with a highend latex exterior primer(you can tint the primer). The various materials used for those old stucco houses will bleed through paint giving it a chalky appearence.

4. Spray it out in 2 coats of 100% acylic latex paint.

A bungalo like yours, takes 4 days to do properly.

Jamie
03-04-2008, 09:47 AM
[QUOTE=gopherslayer;119177]Exactly why? You sell them, what are your construction credentials? The fact that you did paint your "turn over" house does not mean it was the right thing to do. Did you seal every crack around every window or door? Stick to getting your 7% on sales. God you are an expert of Freaking everything :rolleye2:

And gopher.. what are your credentials?
I grew up in construction. I grew up with my whole family associated with Keith Construction.
I grew up with my Father as General manager of a Lumber Yard
In my teens Dad owned and ran a successful Home building company. (Of course that is where I worked)
Through my 20's, it was all about selling different construction products
For the last 10 years I have sold homes. I have seen literally 10 of thousands of homes.. I know what works
Housing has been in my Blood since I was born.
But more importantly I had the good sense to talk with experienced people before we did this project and others like it. They all said the same thing. Go ahead.. Paint it, but do it right. You see, its not about being a expert, its about getting the proper information for the most informed sources.
As for my 7%, once again you don't know what YOU are talking about. Only the first $100,000 of a house is at 7% the remainder is at 4% and of all that, it is divided in half with the selling Realtor. So in essence I get 3.5% and 2%.
Not near the number you are suggesting.
I would suggest you do a bit more research before shooting off your mouth.

Jamie

OH and BTW.. This was not a "Turn Over" house. This project was about doing a job, and doing it right. How many other Reno projects have you seen with a warranty?? This project was over built and done correctly. Don't ever question my ethics. If you cant do it right.. DON'T DO IT. Housing is the biggest investment most people will ever make. I take great pride in the fact that any dealings we do in Real Estate are done with the ut most thought and consideration to that fact. Can you say you have the same thought process.
I implore that anyone doing anything with a house get the proper advice and deal with professionals.

Grizzly Adams
03-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Ok Jamie, now you have 40 + year old, painted stucco. Four to five years from now, you'll have to paint it again and it will still be a weathered,dated exterior, probably cracked and admitting water. That broken glass is nothing to cosy up to either.I guess we're getting sidetracked here.:D You must be Bud's youngest son, the one who used to cleanup the sites, when I worked there.
Grizz

junior009
03-04-2008, 06:18 PM
To quote Gopher "I disagree. First I have never seen any medal cladding that looked nice after 2 or 3 years. Caulking goes, metal fades and it looks like crap. Second, if you leave the stucco on and put in new windows, the 3/4 to an inch that sticks out past the windows and doors looks terrible. Not to mention that if the stucco wasn't put on with the correct air space behind it all it is doing is conducting the cold from the siding to the insulation to the stucco through the studs, into the house."

HE is right on some of it I was assuming that the stucco was put on right in the first place. The house we did hasnt had a problem and that was 8 or 9 years ago ( I was learning at the time) We used 1" blue insulation straped with 1x2s to the stucco (did by someone else) and seemed to work fine made doing the sidding a little more fun as we had to mark the straps. Thumb still hurts when I think about it and missing. As for caulking done right (it is hard to do and caulking does have its place) I agree it looks like crap, but is not needed if you do the cladding right in the first place. Fadding does happen bubbleing does happen as well. Thats where colours come into play some will fade or bubble more than otheres as will sidding colours 2 that I would stay away from unless you want to hit the expencive sidding ( I still dont trust that stuff) is blue or yellow fade is nasty on those colours. I will try and get some pics of my yellow house of the sun walls and the shaddy wall 2 different colours. O one more ting if you do go with yellow dont do a burgandy door looks bad to say the least.
Mike

Jamie
03-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Ok Jamie, now you have 40 + year old, painted stucco. Four to five years from now, you'll have to paint it again and it will still be a weathered,dated exterior, probably cracked and admitting water. That broken glass is nothing to cosy up to either.I guess we're getting sidetracked here.:D You must be Bud's youngest son, the one who used to cleanup the sites, when I worked there.
Grizz

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Grizzly.. Close, but no Cigar. I am Linda's Son. Linda was Bud's (Grampa to me) oldest child. You are speaking of Evert, he is approx 8 years older than I am. Grampa is gone now. I wish I would have known him better. But I was only 11 when he retired from Keith. That company sure did accomplish a bunch.
What was your job? Dad (Jim Hunt) guessed you worked finishing.
Small world.
BTW X2 on that glass.

Jamie

LongDraw
03-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Paint it, you'll be fine.

Rudy198
03-04-2008, 09:16 PM
wow i didn't expect to get this much response.....I've got a tough decision on what to do...Some of you guys say paint other siding.I'm not doing this to sell my house i wanna do it for ourselves.If i do paint or siding it does anyone wanna make some extra cash...Let me know

Thanks for all the responses

Jamie
03-04-2008, 10:24 PM
Rudy, here is a pic of how it comes out.

If you keep clicking on the pics, they will get bigger
(hold on it didnt work)

Jamie

Jamie
03-04-2008, 11:03 PM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=2695&d=1197997694

This was before

Jamie
03-04-2008, 11:04 PM
This was after.

Jamie

BUD
03-05-2008, 01:29 AM
Stucco is by far wayyyyyyyy superior to any kind of siding , hail dont hurt it , insulation value high , lasts for a lifetime ,the cheap siding nowadays bends and dents by just looking at it , HAVE IT PAINTED , l paint mine every 15 years , looks great , just dont use cheap paint , or you,ll be painting every 3 years , l use top of the line Bengie moore stucco coat.

209x50
03-05-2008, 07:37 AM
Stucco is by far wayyyyyyyy superior to any kind of siding , hail dont hurt it , insulation value high , lasts for a lifetime ,the cheap siding nowadays bends and dents by just looking at it , HAVE IT PAINTED , l paint mine every 15 years , looks great , just dont use cheap paint , or you,ll be painting every 3 years , l use top of the line Bengie moore stucco coat.

8 inches of concrete - the thickness of your basement wall, has the same R value or insulation as 1/2" of plywood. Conventional stucco - the actual cement mortar holding that crushed beer bottle has next to nothing for insulation values.
Today's acrylic stucco systems usually include 1/2" of rigid foam that increases the R value of the wall by 5 on average.

Rudy198
03-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Jamie...is does look alot better that before no offence...lol

I know that stucco is alot durable than siding,but i think painting might be the way to go......Jamie you want a painting job....lol

Jamie
03-05-2008, 10:44 PM
Thanks Rudy, but I leave that up to the Pro's
I can and will run to Totem for supplies and have been know to stop and get guys Beer.. Other than that I am kind of useless.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks though, we put a bunch of effort into that house. Its sold now and I am going to look at doing another this summer.

Let me know if you want to see the interior shots.. Good stuff!

Jamie

Gramps.257
03-05-2008, 11:57 PM
Old stonedash (glass embedded stucco) can be refinished after windows are installed and is the best solution to your situation. After the windows are installed they have to be resealed to exterior walls.A peel and stick membrane with a window flashing should be used, and to do it properly the stucco should be chipped away to expose the wall substrate to achieve a proper seal with the new window flange. 30 minute building paper is used as an air barrier and stucco lathe used to repair where the stucco was chipped out. A scratch coat is then used to fill in the void and after curing a finish coat can be applied in your choice of colors.
Paint is only a temporary solution and fades with time and can never be re stuccoed over. A better choice to color stucco is a fog coat.
Acrylic stucco can be used on either a portland cement base or applied over Type 1 virgin Styrofoam bead board of no less than 1 inch (1.5 inches is the thinnest i would ever recommend) but the cost is 3 times that of conventional stucco.
Refinishing the stone dash would be your best bet and can really up the appeal of your house and will pay itself back if you sell in the near future.

Choices of stucco colors
http://www.imascominerals.com/stucco/stucco-colours.html#Premix

Fog coating
http://www.imascominerals.com//product-details.asp?productID=22

Refinish textures
http://www.imascominerals.com//stucco/textures.html

I see some asking for credentials so here's mine in case someone thinks I'm talking out my pie hole; 25 years in the stucco industry and owner of one of the largest commercial Acrylic stucco companies in Edmonton.

Be warned there are many poor tradesmen showing up in the area so if you take the lowest bidder you get what you pay for. Dont deal with anyone that wants money upfront.Any contractor worth can carry the cost of a small job like this and if he cant...DONT DEAL WITH THEM.If you would like any more info let me know.

PS im not trolling for a job :) i deal with big projects

Gramps.257
03-06-2008, 12:17 AM
I also see alot of people saying to paint but the problem in this is now you can never resurface the old stucco. The only option is to continue to repaint every 5 to 10 years and after a few coats it looks like a mess or rip the old stucco off and start again at the sub-straight. If you must paint use a elastomeric paint but fog coating is the best low cost solution and can be re stuccoed over in the future. Those that have painted stucco have done a disservice to the homeowner down the road and i would never recommend it unless you plan to tear down the exterior in 10 years.
If you want siding go out to one of the new siding only subdivisions after a good wind and there will be enough of it blowing around to do 2 houses :)

lazy ike
03-06-2008, 07:49 AM
!00% Acrylic stucco is amazing stuff but it is has little integrity when it's sitting on styrofoam. In other words a stray baseball or carelessly parked bike and you have repairs. On the last couple of projects I've worked on, the stucco guys skinned the house in cement board before putting on the stucco, more expense but a effective solution. And it's still just 100% acrylic, I'm seeing fading due to UV on a 4 year old house.

Gramps.257
03-06-2008, 06:03 PM
!00% Acrylic stucco is amazing stuff but it is has little integrity when it's sitting on styrofoam. In other words a stray baseball or carelessly parked bike and you have repairs. On the last couple of projects I've worked on, the stucco guys skinned the house in cement board before putting on the stucco, more expense but a effective solution. And it's still just 100% acrylic, I'm seeing fading due to UV on a 4 year old house.

If done correctly a baseball will never damage acrylic stucco. In high use areas a thick panzer mesh (fiberglass reinforcing mesh) is applied with a polymer base coat. After drying 24 hours a second coat of polymer base mud is applied with a 2nd lighter mesh embedded. Then the finish is then applied.Many think because its Styrofoam backed its damages easily but this just isnt true.Ill give you 100$ if you could punch a hole in my work and i guarantee you come away with a broken hand and the wall will only have blood and skin damage.If you are seeing UV damage after only 4 years then im sorry to say you were sold an inferior product(many on the market).The acrylic stucco produces i use have a UV inhibitor mixed in the product and the only time you will see any fading is when a very dark color is used eg:black and even then its only very minor after many years.
Again this trade is filled with guys that use the cheapest produces and cut corners during installation ever chance they get.Take the lowest bidder and you get what you paid for. I get phone calls daily dealing with situations just like this and they always ask what they can do...same response ever time get a lawyer and sue because they didnt follow code for the installation. Alot of guys out there want to get rich at your expense and what an expense it will be if done poorly

MindOfChaos
01-23-2017, 10:01 AM
Don't rip off the stucco! Ripping the stucco, which is generally just a Portland cement mix, can damage the structure below it. It adheres very well and will rip bricks apart during removal, which it was used most commonly to cover. You can paint it but it looks awful if you don't do a proper job of fixing the bottle dash before you do. It is a job that takes a lot of long tedious hours but it's something a competent person with a good understanding of construction can do themselves if they have the patience. Every repair to the stucco will take a 3 step coating but if, in the end, you want something that looks good and will last and be safe you will want to spend the extra time and repair the existing bottle dash stucco. Keep in mind painting should be redone every 2 years and on bottle dash is an annoying and tedious process. You also can't jusy recoat it with a new bottle or pebble dash parge because this will cause the wall load to be double what it was and will require an engineers sign off to ensure the structural safety of the house with the added load. I would personally reccomend to go with a lightweight, preferably spray on, coating. There are many companies that do these specific types of coatings and there are many different types of these coatings ranging from another lightweight parge coat to a Mastic waterproofing spray on. All of these coverings should be done by a well renowned professional who is very knowledgeable specifically in dash type sidings and the covering option they bring to the table. When doing any kind of covering over the stucco it is important to be certain the existing stucco has been well repaired or the covering will trap in any moisture and debris, including any mold spores, and fungus, and can cause more structural issues in the future. Hope this helps you make a more informed decision.