PDA

View Full Version : Living in Fort Sask..

therealj
03-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Hey guys, for those that do or have lived in Fort Sask how do you like it. My job has me travelling from Red Deer to Grande Prairie with the Edmonton area being a large part of my job as well. I'd like to move my wife away from the city and Fort Sask seems like a nice safe community to raise a family....thanks in advance

Alberta Bigbore
03-02-2008, 08:37 PM
was raised there from 1 years old to 18, then i moved out and in 2 or 3 times after that. Would move back in a heartbeat. great place to raise a family. and they practically have everything now, including walmart and extra foods. PLus tonnes of good fishing holes on the NSR close by, that im sure you can find once you settle in and do some foot work.;)

Kanonfodder
03-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Love the place grew up thee from 1 to 20, Like Big I would move back in a heartbeat. Kinda place where neighbours help out and you don't have to worry if you forget to lock your doors......

therealj
03-02-2008, 11:55 PM
Thanks guys...that's exactly what I'm after. I have a verbal agreement on a place right now, which I'll be going forward with this week. I can't believe how different Edmonton is from the city I grew up in during the 80's....I left to BC for 15 years and can't stand this city now, which pains me to say as I've always considered myself an Edmontonian

Alberta Bigbore
03-03-2008, 12:01 AM
lots of good bike/walk paths in the fort. Lots of parks for kids, and believe it or not, four 7-11's :lol: :lol: :lol: in that small city ( unless one of them closed since i been visiting my folks last).

therealj
03-03-2008, 12:18 AM
lots of good bike/walk paths in the fort. Lots of parks for kids, and believe it or not, four 7-11's :lol: :lol: :lol: in that small city ( unless one of them closed since i been visiting my folks last).

Well easy access to a slush and a magazine is never a bad thing :lol:

lakewalker
03-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Word is we are even getting our own Home Depot!

I enjoy it here and hardly ever even go to Edmonton anymore. My wife wouldn't even consider moving anywhere else...

Kanonfodder
03-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Is D&E drive in still in biz I used to sweep the lot when I was a kid for store credit lol I loved the malts there, and the burgers lol you get the idea

lakewalker
03-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Is D&E drive in still in biz I used to sweep the lot when I was a kid for store credit lol I loved the malts there, and the burgers lol you get the idea

Those were great malts...unfortunately it's been gone for awhile now... I think it's condo's there now. The Downtown is pretty much dead. Most of the businesses have moved to the highway now. If you haven't been to the Fort in awhile... well, the south side of the highway is mostly built up with what land is left over being built on right now.

therealj
03-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Is there a gun range around there?

Kanonfodder
03-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Lol Im not sure if there is we used gophers to sight in everything.....

Alberta Bigbore
03-04-2008, 03:56 AM

OMG !!!! used to hit that place up alot during lunch hours at Junior and high school!! those malts were the best:D

Anybody that grew up there............... what was your graduation year?? mine was 1995. ( ah man, im an old fart :cry: )

lakewalker
03-04-2008, 07:18 AM
OMG !!!! used to hit that place up alot during lunch hours at Junior and high school!! those malts were the best:D

Anybody that grew up there............... what was your graduation year?? mine was 1995. ( ah man, im an old fart :cry: )

94...and I'm not old I'm just hitting my prime

lakewalker
03-04-2008, 08:01 AM
Is there a gun range around there?

Sherwood Park Fish and Game has a Range out by Tofield

(53.323475°N, 112.855025°W

cut-and-paste above coordinates into Google Earth, or Google Maps...this was copied from CGN forum)

http://www.spfga.org/

I've read good things about the Genessee Range run by the Canadian Historical Society. I've not read anything about the Ledec range they mention on their website, but it may be as close to the same drive as the Tofield Range

http://www.chas.ab.ca

( 53 22'12.23" N 114 23'25.10" W

cut-and-paste above coordinates into Google Earth, or Google Maps...this was copied from CGN forum)

I've never been to any of these ranges so this is just info not an endorsement of either club.

I'm not sure of any closer, I just e-mailed Alberta Fish and Game to find out the contact info for the Forts local club, maybe they'll know of a closer one...hopefully.

winged1
03-04-2008, 08:05 AM
Don't know about the Fort, lived in Sherwood Park for 10 years. I do know that some of my best hunting was had NE of the Fort though.

Nomad
03-04-2008, 08:06 AM
Lived here since '75, graduated in '88.

Alberta Bigbore
03-04-2008, 12:51 PM
94...and I'm not old I'm just hitting my prime

Fort Senior High?

lakewalker
03-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Fort Senior High?

No, JPII. I did take a few physics classes at FSSH as they weren't offered in a good time slot for me at JP.

Kanonfodder
03-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Lived here since '75, graduated in '88.

Which High school Nomad??? I am the oldest grad 86 Fort High, my grad year we burnt half the school down....:evilgrin:

lmtada
03-04-2008, 07:42 PM
The town definetly grows on you. I use to play hockey here in the 80's and I did not think much of fort sask. I have lived here for 9 years and like it. You are only 20 minutes to downtown edmonton. They have the fort sask fish and game association with 700+ members. The town is growing like a weed. Has all the amenities. If you work at shell or agrium only a couple minutes to work. good luck:) :) :) :cool: :cool: :cool:

Alberta Bigbore
03-05-2008, 04:21 AM
Which High school Nomad??? I am the oldest grad 86 Fort High, my grad year we burnt half the school down....:evilgrin:

thats awsome, we heard so many stories about that accident. At least I got to go to school with all the upgrades :p

Was "Slick" teaching there?? ***an? Axleson? Packer? what about Chetek.

Nomad
03-05-2008, 05:19 AM
"Which High school Nomad??? I am the oldest grad 86 Fort High, my grad year we burnt half the school down...."

Fort high in '86 than switched to JP2 for the rest. Switched because of the fire. Got sick of the smell, crowds, having to walk to the old jail for gym class every day.

"thats awsome, we heard so many stories about that accident. At least I got to go to school with all the upgrades"

We had no school for about a week. Me and some friends broke in and 'borrowed' the old water soaked wrestling mat. It was huge and heavy. Cut it up and put it in our basements. Also went into library and 'recovered' many good sets of encyclopedias for resale.:evilgrin: