PDA

View Full Version : Trout Bait

Off in the Bushes
03-03-2008, 01:04 AM
I have a few general question.
Have any of you used corn for trout bait?
I heard that they can not digest it, is that true?
Does it kill them or do they puke it up, can they puke?
Can stainless hook eventually come out of thier mouths?

Lethalconnection
03-03-2008, 04:51 PM
I have used corn for bait before, not sure if they can digest it or not, have heard alot about them not being able to but never read or seen any conclusive evidence proving this. Im not sure if fish can puke, i know they can burp to release air out of their swim blatter so i would imagine they can puke, and if the stainless hook is barbless i would imagine it would eventually work itself free of the fish's mouth but it wouldnt breakdown.

Versatile
03-03-2008, 05:08 PM
I use corn as well and have never heard or seen any proof of corn not being able to be digested. Its not my first choice of bait but I do use it.

matt1984
03-03-2008, 05:16 PM
I can personally say I have opened a trout that was packed from mouth to ******* with corn. Can't say it looked very digested. I'm sure one or two pieces wouldn't be a big problem but by how much was in these couple fish, it looked like someone was maybe chumming with it.

Lethalconnection
03-03-2008, 05:21 PM
well im sure if the F&W do some research and find out that it does do harm maybe they will outlaw it but i havent heard of anywhere outlawing corn as being used as bait. But once again that would cost money:rolleye2:

Versatile
03-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Whos to say that fish didnt just eat all of that corn off somones hooks or if they were chumming for it.

jrs
03-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Lots of guys do chum with it. As for digestion, even if they can't fully digest it, it won't necessarily kill them, just passes through. Hate to draw this picture in your mind but how well do people digest it?
I use corn for trout ice fishing more than any other bait (normally i just use a bare spoon to be completely honest but bait wise corn is tops), i have reported guys chumming with it and also caught trout packed full of it. I guarantee there would be lakes with hardly any fish if it killed those that ate it. I remember seeing it addressed in a magazine once but can't remember which or when for you.

TundraBuck
03-03-2008, 05:47 PM
From my 45+ years of fishing experience, I have to agree with jrs. Trout digest corn about as well as people. We all know about it.

Off in the Bushes
03-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Thanks guys, my friend talked to a fish biologist about it, and they think that it doesn't hurt them.