PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Boots/ Packs

Off in the Bushes
03-03-2008, 01:15 AM
I am looking for a good pair of rigid, insulated hunting/ backpacking boots for next season. I am also looking for a decent pack to load all you gear in when heading out hunting/ trail, preferably something that will take a water bladder.
What are you using?
Would you recommend them?

Duk Dog
03-03-2008, 06:40 AM
Pack wise for a day type pack I use the Badlands 2200 and am very happy with it. Boot wise obviously there are all sorts of different levels of quality boots, and the biggest factor will be finding one that fits you best. The last season or two I have worn a pair of Asolo boots and they have worked well for me. There will be a lot of people with more experience than me that hopefully will chime in, but this was my 2 cents.

http://www.badlandspacks.com/

huntinggr81
03-03-2008, 06:50 AM
I wear Irish Setter Elk Tracker boots, and after 3 hard seasons absolutely swear by them. I don't wear a backpack - just a waist pack, and it's nothing fancy.

mountainmike
03-03-2008, 07:58 AM
1st of all, what kind of pack you looking for, day pack or a pack to haul alot of gear with, and game out with?

I purchased an Eberlestock Just One pack last year and Highly recommend it. The pack is so versatile for all my needs and is the most comfortable I've to date even with a heavy load. Mine is the J104, concidered a daypack, it's bigger then your average day pack. However it compresses smaller with the outter compression straps or vise versa if you need MORE space. The outter conpartment unzips allowing you lots more room. There's a pic on the website of a guy packing out a hind Quarter of an Elk in it. With the outter compression straps snugged tight keeps it all tight to your body.

The Beauty of this pack is the add on's that the pack is compatible with. You can attach another bag that zips right to the the intergraded System for more capacity, you can turn it from 2900 cu. in. daypack into a 7900 cu. in. backpack by adding the spike duffel bag to it. Or there is just a zip in pannel you can get to zip in it, so many options.

I'd check out the webite and take a peek at it. www.eberlestock.com . Actually there was a post on here lil while ago that the pic you see in the website is a guy that comes on here. GREAT PHOTO. His was even the bigger pack J107 I beleive. Anyways great pack IMO.

Mike

guidehunt
03-03-2008, 09:21 AM
try MEINDL canada pro boot expensive but the best boot i have used in 25yrs of hunting from caribou in artic to antlope they should last ,also look at badlands 2200 back pack got one this year and it looks like it should do anything i would want to hunt .guidehunt

Rackmastr
03-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Lowa Sheephunter GTX are my boot of choice....have owned Meindl and for my feet the Lowa's cant be beat....

Badlands makes some of the best daypacks around, and for a bigger pack I'm carrying a Mystery Ranch this year.....for a pack choice, it really depends what you need out of it.....just a day pack or the ability to pack out an elk after a day of hunting?

ABDUKNUT
03-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Best advice I can give ya is visit somewhere that has a broad selection and try a few on. What matters most is how they fit your feet.
I like Lowa's Tibet and Treviso- the Meindl's look good too but I havent tried them so I won't comment. Danner seems to have a good variety of boots, and they are a little cheaper than the European made boots.
Lowa's might be expensive- but I remember years ago I'd buy a new pair of $150 boots each year and trash them, having to buy yet another pair each year.

RUM
03-03-2008, 12:18 PM
I wear Irish Setter Elk Tracker boots, and after 3 hard seasons absolutely swear by them.

I have been using the same pair for 4 years now and I'll be using them again for this entire year at least, great boot.

Redfrog
03-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Meindl since late 70's. Everything I want from a serious hunting boot.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/Redfrog/cabelaboot.jpg

Thickhorn
03-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Lowa Sheephunter GTX are my boot of choice....have owned Meindl and for my feet the Lowa's cant be beat....

Same here... have used the same pair of Meindls for the past 6 years, am now trying Lowa Sheephunters. The Meindls were excellent, but my pair had no insulation (often cold toes - especially when laced up tight), and the rubber eventually separated from the leather along the sides, allowing water to get in. So far, the (stiffer and slightly insulated) Lowas seem to be great.

My last pack was a Cabela's Alaskan Extreme Outfitter (ext frame). It was very comfortable, and carried heavy loads well. What I didn't like was that it has few separate pockets / compartments, and whatever I needed was always at the bottom of the bag. Now use a Mystery Ranch 5000 / NICE frame. It's little on the heavy side, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Edit: The Cabela's pack has a separate pocket built in for a CamelBack bladder - it holds the bladder against your back (helps with keeping the water as a liquid when its cold out). The MR pack has no designated camelback pocket.

TundraBuck
03-03-2008, 12:55 PM
I will never hunt or ice fish without my Irish Setters.

sheephunter
03-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Kenetrek boots are definitely worth checking out. They didn't fit my feet that well but I know lots who swear by them. I second the Lowa Sheephunter vote! IMHO...if you want a serious insulated mountain hunting boot, there are only three choices...Meindle, Lowa and Kenetrek.

Mintaka
03-03-2008, 02:36 PM

sheephunter
03-03-2008, 02:42 PM
The Lowa GTX are gortex but not insulated. They work great for backpacking but not comfortable for pheasant hunting or hunting prairies. I think any boot made European should be a good bet.

The Sheephunter GTX Extreme are insulated.

Hunter GTX Extreme (aka The Sheep Hunter)

Handcrafted in Germany.
LOWA's classic backpacking boots are made for on- and off-trail use with heavy 50- to 60- pound packs for extended trips in the backcountry. Handcrafted construction, the finest leathers, Vibram outsoles, and SPS (Supination, Pronation, Support) midsole technology, are just some of the reasons why LOWA is the boot of choice for rugged, off-trail adventure.

Ultimate field boot. Provides excellent ankle support for climbing steep hillsides and traversing rugged terrain. GORE-TEX® waterproof lining keeps feet warm and dry. The Hunter is a taller, 10" version of the Tibet GTX.

2.5mm water-repellent Nubuck leather
GORE-TEX® waterproof lining with Primaloft insulation
'C4' Comfort Tongue
High rubber rand for durability and protection
Climate Control System
Lightweight alloy lace loops with sprung lace hooks
Plastic stiffener midsole component
New Vibram® 'Tsavo' sole unit with specialized PU midsole

Off in the Bushes
03-03-2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks for all of the info I am going to check them out.
I tried on a pair of Irish Setter Elk Trackers but I was not sold on the leather they used on the boots. I thought that the quality was poor, I tried on two different pair, one pair had something in the heal that was diggin just putting them on, and the other the leather on the toe where you would see most of the movement was really thin, I understand that they have to be thin to bend and be flexible but this was ultra thin. I thought for the $ they where not worth it.

How much Thinslate is in your boots and are your feet staing warm.

mountainmike
03-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing? how much thinsulate should one be looking for in a boot?

sheephunter
03-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Really depends on how cold you will be hiking in. There really is no thing as an all-season hiking boot. Too much insulation and your feet will sweat and end up colder than if you didn't have insulation. I personally never use an insulated hiking boot in the mountains...even in late October. I'd consider the amount of insulation found in the Meindles, Lowas or Kenetreks to be the maximum amount you'd want in a backpacking boot as was asked about here. I know some guides that swear by Schnee felt packs for later season stuff and I will wear mine on late-season elk hunts but not on a backpack trip.

Thickhorn
03-03-2008, 04:44 PM
The Lowa (Schnees) GTX Sheephunter's I own say they have primaloft insulation equivalent to 200 grams (of thinsulate). As sheep was alluding to, your feet will pretty much stay warm as long as you keep hiking. I also put some miles on the quad during hunting season; toes get cold faster with the cold air blowing over them.

Pathfinder76
03-03-2008, 05:00 PM
I use HanWags (worth their weight in gold) and the J105.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/ChuckNelson/P1040055.jpg

lakewalker
03-03-2008, 09:01 PM
double post

lakewalker
03-03-2008, 09:05 PM
I live in the Edmonton area and was wondering where would someone get them?

The only place I can seem to find them are online stores and thought I'd like to try them on to compare them with the Irish Setters which I found at the Redwing Store. I've found a few stores that might carry one boot or another from either company (Danner Stryker at Iseco, a combat boot or Danner Ft Lewis at WSS) but never a good selection of boots or even the boots recommended on the forum.

Off in the Bushes
03-03-2008, 09:33 PM
I use HanWags (worth their weight in gold) and the J105.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/ChuckNelson/P1040055.jpg

Where did you purchase them, I was looking online, are they a military boot.
I think that I am going to have a look at Mountain Equipment Coop for boots next time I am in Calgary
I don't think that Lethbridge has a huge selection of hiking/ back packing boots, other then WSS and I didn't like the selection.

sheephunter
03-03-2008, 09:36 PM
MEC's selection of hunting boots is non-existent.

Off in the Bushes
03-03-2008, 09:39 PM
So where is the best place to try on some boots that has a large selection.
Like all the boots that all of you have been talking about?

sheephunter
03-03-2008, 09:57 PM
So where is the best place to try on some boots that has a large selection.
Like all the boots that all of you have been talking about?

Russell's had Meindles but not sure where you'd find Lowa or Kenetrek. Kenetrek had a booth at Calgary Sportsmen Show......maybe try some web sites to see if they list retailers in Alberta.

Rackmastr
03-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Lowa is carried by Camper's Village, but not the Sheephunter GTX....I bought mine from Baker Shoe in Oregon and they would allow me to return them if they didnt fit....they fit like a glove on the first try though!!

Pathfinder76
03-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Where did you purchase them, I was looking online, are they a military boot.

http://lathropandsons.com/catalog/index.php

Rust
03-03-2008, 10:11 PM
I had a pair of Danners and I did not like them for mountains at all!! Got a pair of Meindle Canada Pro's. They were great the first yr, but the second yr they were to soft and I got a hole in the leather by one of the lace loops. I am thinking about either getting the Lowa sheephunters or a pair of Asolo's for this season.
As for purchase, I know that Russell sports carries the Meindles, but are crazy expensive. (You would be way better of to order them from Cabela's). As for Lowa's I really don't know who sells them.
Good Luck, let us know what you get

the wall
03-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Hanwags are by far the best boot I have ever worn.Easy to break in and are suitable for all conditions.Bought them at Track & Trail Edmonton.I bought a pair of Danners a few yrs ago,but not at all impressed with them,maybe some models are better than others.Good for fire starter i reckon.

COYDOG
03-04-2008, 07:51 PM
lowa boots can be bought at Valhala Purea in Red Deer.

raised by wolves
03-04-2008, 08:03 PM
RE: Boots
Danner Acadias - For even terrain in moderate weather.
Lowa Mountain GTX or Tibet - Moderate weather, hill country.
Kayland Titan-Rock - For moderate weather, mountain and rough terrain.
Scarpa Summit GTX - Cold weather, big mountain.

RE: Pack
Lowe Alpine, Contour 60L for fast and light travel.
Serratus 80L one pocket for hauling a bit of gear with a goat or a ram.

You can always get an adequate pack for cheap. Invest your dollars in a couple pairs of good boots. Keep your eye on www.sierratradingpost.com for a good deal on gear.

heiner39
03-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Hanwags are by far the best boot I have ever worn.Easy to break in and are suitable for all conditions.Bought them at Track & Trail Edmonton.I bought a pair of Danners a few yrs ago,but not at all impressed with them,maybe some models are better than others.Good for fire starter i reckon.

I have to throw out a second for the Hanwags. I bought mine from Track and Trail in Edmonton and I have worn them A LOT. Great boot...well worth the $.

billybob_1967
03-05-2008, 07:25 AM
Kenetrek boots are available at Cheekah Outdoorwear:

http://www.cheekahoutdoorwear.com/