PDA

View Full Version : Virus Scan

Tuc
03-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Any of you computer buffs out there?

Last year I bought a new computer with Windows Vista installed and was told by the computer techs that "Windows Live One Care" was very compatible to use for a virus protection, firewall, popups, etc. I will admit it is has been very compatible and fast with Vista but in order to install the software you have to select an ID through hotmail or MSN messenger. Why, I have no idea but I don't like this method. When ever I go in and change things it tells me I have the wrong sign in ID or password....which I don't and I'm there forever trying to get into my Live care. Time consuming!

Anyrate, I have run 'Norton Internet Securities' for several years and find it also to be good but I find it slows down my system and takes forever to load on startup.
My Windows Live Care runs out in a couple of days and I'm thinking about installing McAfee. Have any of you guys/gals used this brand of software to protect your PC's and why would you recommend it over another?
Thanx in advance!

therealj
03-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Easy....here you go. www.avast.com

ibyers
03-03-2008, 12:38 PM
I am a big fan of Win live one care. I have tried almost all virus apps avail out there.

you don't have to use a hotmail address. you can use your own home e-mail address (@shaw.ca, @ telus.net) but have to register it at www.passport.com and select "Use an e-mail address you already have"

sheephunter
03-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Personally I think McAffee is the most user unfriendly software there is. If you are going aftermarket....Norton is hard to beat. I've got it on al of my computers and never had an issue.

CNP
03-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Who is your internet service provider? Most have their own security software..........best of all, it's free. I use Telus (DSL) and use their security software. They use it on their own systems.........so it's good to go with me.

GrandSlam
03-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Same with Shaw. They provide free antivirus software called Shaw Secure. You couldn't pay me enough to install Norton or McAfee on any of my systems :tongue2:

ricky
03-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Howdy,

Shaw and TELUS supplied antivirus slows down your pc significantly and also tend to create more problems then they solve with all their extra "features". I would recommend Trend Micro PC-Cillin (Internet Security 2008) You get three licenses for the price of one and can be purchased from their website directly. www.trendmicro.com They have a free 30 day demo and I recommend trying it before you purchase it to ensure a good fit in your computing environment. Norton and McAffee aren't what they used to be and usually are at the bottom of any top 10 list. I used to use Norton until I did a free online scan at the Trend Micro website called Housecall. It found some virus's that Norton didn't and that was enough reason for me to switch :)

ricky
03-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Who is your internet service provider? Most have their own security software..........best of all, it's free. I use Telus (DSL) and use their security software. They use it on their own systems.........so it's good to go with me.

I worked at TELUS and they use Trend Micro, that was back in 2004. They may have switched since then but I can't tell you how many support calls I took because of issues related to Ecare (Telus antivirus).

cooper
03-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Same with Shaw. They provide free antivirus software called Shaw Secure. You couldn't pay me enough to install Norton or McAfee on any of my systems :tongue2:
I totally agree McAfee and nortons are to bloated way slow .TRY AVG free antivirus from grisoft.com.used it free for 6 months worked great so I paid for the pro version. not one virus and no speed loss. PLUS it is a totally safe download and no bullshot.

dmartinez
03-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Having worked in the IT industry for many years. I can safely say "GET RID OF NORTON!" It sucks and is a resource hog. You can use Mcafee, as they are best for network security against viruses, however if it is your home computer, I would use avast (link was pointed to earlier) As well, get a copy of spybot S&D and Google toolbar, as well one other for backup would be adaware. The combination of these software suites has never let me down.

Since you are running vista (god knows you had no choice right???right??? Please tell me you did'nt!) Check to make sure they have a compatible program for it.

Any other questions go ahead and ask. I live and work this crap.

elnino54
03-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Try AVG Free edition. I used to use Norton, but found I was having to many problems, including slowing my old pc down....never mind the year after year expense.........

Tuc
03-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Thanx for the advise everyone.

I used telus security for awhile and as someone mentioned it was more of a pain than it was good.
I will not use the free stuff. They don't stay ontop of new virus's and scanware like Norton or McAfee. This is a multi-million dollar business for them and I'm under the belief, you only get what you pay for. I think they are researching everyday and stay on top of the latest threats. OMO

I did like Norton when I used it but it took forever to log on.....Ibyers, thanx for the heads up on that. I wasn't aware you could use your own email address...still, I don't like that system and won't be buying WLOC anymore.
My brother is a computer tech and has McAfee installed on a network of 200+ PC's. He swears by this company so I will likely give them a try.

Thx again for all your input!

Bear
03-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Tuc don't buy in to that not wanting a free scanner. I have used AVG free for a couple years on my computer, my folks computer, my in-laws computer, my sisters computer, etc etc etc.

Works very well if you use your noodle. Updates are frequent and I have never had a problem. Like was mentioned use the google toolbar or better yet dump Internet Explorer and use Firefox. Most virus and spyware come thru IE. Do yourself a favor and use Firefox.

If you insist on paying money, NOD32 is one of the best. http://www.eset.com/

elnino54
03-03-2008, 10:40 PM
With AVG you can use the 'somewhat limited' free version or if feel the need to pay, they have diff versions with diff options if your so inclined, ie firewalls etc......lol

ibyers
03-03-2008, 10:46 PM
I personally don't like McAfee and I stay away from Norton (like dmartinez said earlier it is a system hog). AVG is a great free antivirus program. The downside you need to install separate Spyware/malware scanners. to be honest they all do the same thing (some a little better then others), its more of a personal preference and comes down to what you are comfortable with.

Tuc, I think you hit the nail on the head when you said

"I will not use the free stuff. They don't stay ontop of new virus's and scanware like Norton or McAfee. This is a multi-million dollar business for them and I'm under the belief, you only get what you pay for. I think they are researching everyday and stay on top of the latest threats. OMO"

slopeshunter
03-03-2008, 11:21 PM
X2 for AVG. The free version works just fine.

Tuc
03-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Well I talked to my internet provider and they said Shaw Secure was every bit as good as Norton or McAfee. It's a free service for Shaw subscriber's and suggested I'd give it a try. Told me I wouldn't be disapppointed. They said they had no major problems with the software and complaints from other users were few.. Warned me about trying to download it with other virus scans on their systems and to delete first.

Well, I decided to take there advice and give it a try. I subscribe to Shaw digital phone, cable TV and DSL internet connection so in a way, I guess I am paying for it.