PDA

View Full Version : Sable Island, Grave Yard of the Atlantic

Tuc
03-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Sable Island is a sand bar - 42 km long and roughly 1.5 km wide - located far offshore, approximately 160 km southeast of Canso, Nova Scotia, the nearest landfall. The island has been the focus of human activities, imagination and speculation for roughly 500 years. Shipwrecks, wild horses, seabirds and seals, and inaccessibility have endowed this narrow wind-swept sliver of sand with a special mystique. The island is the subject of extensive scientific research and of numerous documentary films, books and magazine articles.

Due to it's sandy composition the island's crescent shape is constantly shifting with the wind. Sandbars as long as 17 miles lie hidden beneath the water's surface at either end of the island. When the wind blows, as it often does at Sable, the sandbars are almost impossible for ships to avoid.
Shifting sand dunes, rough seas and heavy fog claimed over 400 ships and the lives of many a sailor off the shorelines of Sable Island.

Today, access to the island is restricted by the Canadian government, because of the number of attempts to plunder the shipwrecks that still lie off the island's coast. Periodically pieces of these ancient wrecks wash ashore but they are soon pulled back into the ocean. The lighthouses are now automated, the shelters are no longer needed and there are only six permanent residents on the island, however, scientists do visit for short periods to study the island's wildlife once they have gained the government's permission. Quite a change from the days when many sailors made unexpected visits to the island.

Click on the link below to view some wonderfull pictures of Sable Island.

http://www.paulillsley.com/sableisland/index.html (mhtml:{E6EBFD72-E7C7-4F03-B13C-828D993827CC}mid://00000021/!x-usc:http://www.paulillsley.com/sableisland/index.html)

Timberj
03-03-2008, 10:06 PM
My older brother worked on a rig on the island along time ago. recall some of his pictures and stories of the shetlands and the quick fog.....

brownbomber
03-04-2008, 01:34 AM
i watched a really good program on tv about sable island, it talked about the history and the horses and lighthouses and lots of other cool little things about the place how they bring in supplies and such and such. it was very interesting and was on clt about a month ago. a beautiful place and i can see why you're interested in it tuc.

Waxy
03-04-2008, 07:36 AM
I remember being fascinated with the tales of Sable Island - the shipwrecks and horses - when I was a kid. I watched any show and read any book I could find on it.

It's still a place that I would love to go and see with my own eyes.

I'll have to keep an eye out for that documentary.

Waxy

Tuc
03-04-2008, 10:34 AM
a beautiful place and i can see why you're interested in it tuc.
Ya I got a map of Sable Island hanging on my garage wall. It shows the name, date, info and location of every ship wreck that happened up to 1985. I'm going to see if I can get an updated version. I don't expect there were a whole lot more ship wrecks after 85 because of modern technology but I'm sure there were a few.

An interesting place!

TheClash
03-04-2008, 10:41 AM
was there a movie called misty or something like that about sable island?? i seem to remember it from my childhood haha

brownbomber
03-04-2008, 10:46 AM
i think it was a similar place but i'm sure my sister had that book and it was a island of new england or something and it was misty of chincoteauge or something similar to that, like a horse roundup and making them swim to shore or from shore to the island??? right and ponies right??

TheClash
03-04-2008, 10:47 AM
haha ya that was it!!! man i must have watched that show a million times!!...always wanted to find myself a "free" pony that i could take care of.

Tuc
03-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Clash,

Misty of Chincoteauge.....

From Marguerite Henry's award winning novel, Misty of Chincoteauge. A warm-hearted tale of two children on an island off the Virginia coast who fall in love with a beautiful wild horse, and raise money to buy her.

Not sable.

Young Eldon
03-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Tuc,
Thanks for this post.
I was a Hydrographic Surveyor back in 1963 and spent part of the summer surveying on Sable Is. We actually updated it's location, as I recall we updated it's position on the nautical charts by over a mile. They were just starting to do seismic work out there at that time. Certainly a unique spot in Canada!

Tuc
03-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Your welcome Eldon! S.I. is one of my places to visit. I will probably have to go it alone , my wife is afraid of water and boats.

Kev
03-04-2008, 05:42 PM
I think I have the same map as Tuc in my basement, picked up from my honeymoon in the maritimes. It sure seems steeped in some history, including if my memory serves, as a refueling base during WWII?

TreeGuy
03-04-2008, 08:52 PM
I just tried to post a pic of the map, but it didn't work. Yeah though, I wish I bought one of 'em last time I was back in Halifax. I haven't been there, but a friend of mine spent a full year on the island as a researcher. Very cool spot with some amazing history.

Hey Tuc, tell 'em about Oak Island. Now THAT is a story!:lol:

Tree

Map Link: http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mnh/nature/sableisland/english_en/history_hi/graveyard_gr/Shipwreck_Map.htm

Some History Link:http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mma/AtoZ/Sable.html

Tuc
03-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Tree, I drank a good many beer sitting in the Pirates Lure, (in Western Shore) looking out those east windows directly at Oak Island. Until I got too drunk and couldn't see it anymore! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember one night when a buddy and I (we were young and full of pi$$ and vinegar) were going to swim out and find Captain Kidd's treasure. This was before they put the causeway in....crazy buggars, we probably would have drown. lol....Oh the good times inthe Maritimes! :wave:

http://www.mysteriesofcanada.com/Nova_Scotia/oakisland.htm

TreeGuy
03-04-2008, 11:29 PM
Ahhh, cold beers, salt air and swimming for buried treasure. You haven't lived until that becomes part of your weekly schedual!:lol:

Yeah, Oak Island has to be one of the most fascinating places and stories in Canada's history. It certainly one of my favourites! Thanks for the link!

Tree

mudkid
03-04-2008, 11:42 PM
The foggiest place on earth especially in the spring. I worked on an offshore drilling rig there for over 3 years and spent many extra days on the rig because the chopper couldn't land because of fog or freezing rain. An awesome place though.