PDA

View Full Version : just got sent this article..whatcha think?

TheClash
03-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Winnipeg Free Press

Air-rifle shot killed Cody, police reveal
Gun stolen from West End garage; youth, 17, faces negligence charge

By: James Turner

Updated: March 2, 2008 at 12:40 AM CST

A loaded pellet rifle stolen from a Home Street garage was the weapon that killed 13-year-old Cody Shuya last Saturday, police said yesterday.

Police came forward with more details of their investigation into the boy's death and announced that an arrest had been made in what they call "a tragic incident."

On the morning Cody was shot, police allege he and a 17-year-old youth broke into a garage and stole the pellet rifle. While passing the gun between them, it fired and struck Cody high in the upper body, police say.

They wouldn't say exactly where the pellet struck him, but said it was in an area "above the shoulders" which injured him severely.

"Pellet guns can be as dangerous as a regular firearm can," said police spokeswoman Const. Jacqueline Chaput.

Police said there's no evidence there was a struggle between the two for control of the weapon.

The 17-year-old then fled the area, leaving Cody bleeding in the Home Street back lane where police found him after a neighbour called 911.

Police arrested a youth Friday, four days after Cody died in hospital from the gunshot, and two days after his funeral. He's charged with criminal negligence causing death and break and enter. Police said the shooting didn't appear deliberate, but refused to call it accidental.

The youth was also charged with violating his probation. He is now in the Manitoba Youth Centre and is to appear in court this week.

"Now we'll find out exactly what went on and why my son was shot," said Cody's father, James Grant, 32. He recalled going on long walks with his son and said the boy had no gang connections.

Grant said he had no idea what Cody and the other youth were doing in that back lane that morning, but said whatever they were up to, his son's behaviour was that of a normal teenager.

"My son was not a bad person at all. He was your typical 13-year-old boy," Grant said, adding that all kids Cody's age get into trouble sometimes.

"You see a sign saying don't go somewhere, and of course you're going to check it out," he said.

Grant said if the 17-year-old now charged in the shooting is found guilty, he'd like him to do jail time.

"He took the life of an innocent person. He should face the consequences," he said.

In a recent interview, Cody's grandmother, Shelly Grant, echoed the view that Cody was a typical teen in pretty much every way.

He played pranks, liked junk food and being outdoors hanging out with his friends, she said.

The lanky boy had two younger brothers and a half-sister that he loved, Grant said.

He was born and raised in the city and attended area schools.

It's believed the 17-year-old youth dumped the gun between two garages on Home Street as he fled. Witnesses described the recovered gun as a long-barreled rifle with a scope on top.

As part of the investigation, police will test the gun recovered at the scene. They have yet to confirm if it was the one that caused Cody's death.

Chaput said there's no indication the gun was stored improperly.

"There's no real provisions for storing pellet guns," she said.

However, Chaput did urge people to use care in how any firearms are stored.

"They should be hidden. They should be stored unloaded," she said.

It's the third incident in just more than a month involving teens using pellet guns with tragic or near-tragic outcomes.

On Jan. 27, police were shot at on Logan Avenue by a 17-year-old brandishing an air rifle. The incident caused a prolonged standoff in the freezing cold and the use of the heavily armed SWAT team to clear the area. The youth was charged with a number of firearms offences.

On Feb. 20, police were called to Nelson McIntyre Collegiate on St. Mary's Road in response to reports that a student had brought an air gun to school and was overheard saying he wanted to harm another student.

The school went into immediate lockdown for more than an hour. A 15-year-old boy was arrested off the school grounds and charged with possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose and uttering threats.

Brady
03-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Well as someone who was shot, deliberately might I add, in the head with a bb gun when I was 4, all I can do is painfully recall that day, and thank my lucky stars that I am still here today. Doctors said one or two cm's closer to my temple, and she would have been a different ballgame. The SOB, got a good beatin from his dad, but nothing more then that, if I recall correctly.
Now nearly 30 years later, I keep a very watchfull eye on my kids when thay are shootin their bb guns, and they know damn good and well, they are not to be touched when I am not around. Also the guns are not readily available to them, nor others.
I feel bad for the parents of the poor kid, but what was he doing breaking into a garage in the first place??

Sad story either way.

Walleyes
03-04-2008, 09:30 AM
It is sad for sure.. I wonder where in the heck you could get shot near the shoulder with a pellet gun and die from it ???

This kid was already on probation,, sounds like he missed his beatings early on in life and now like many other little sh!ts in our society the rest of us will have to carry and support him for the rest of his life...

rugatika
03-04-2008, 09:33 AM
Hard lesson to learn for both boys.

Karma can be a real mother******. So don't mess with it.

7 REM MAG
03-04-2008, 09:38 AM
above the shoulder means neck(carotid artery, Wind pipe) or head face(temples, eyes etc.) Sad for sure and could have been prevented.

TheClash
03-04-2008, 09:39 AM
It is sad for sure.. I wonder where in the heck you could get shot near the shoulder with a pellet gun and die from it ???

This kid was already on probation,, sounds like he missed his beatings early on in life and now like many other little sh!ts in our society the rest of us will have to carry and support him for the rest of his life...

there are some large arteries near your "shoulder" that if hit you could bleed out easily and quickly......

but like others have said....sad event...but B&E's at that age..and already on probation....yikes.

and i do agree that pellet guns/bb guns should be trated like any other gun...and kids should be taught proper handling and storage of them.

Tuc
03-04-2008, 10:24 AM

Wall, you are a man of wise words!
(Spare the rod and spoil the child)

CaberTosser
03-04-2008, 10:43 AM
I think another aspect of this tragedy is that the younger kid who died may have just been there due to the influence of the older teen, yet he was the one who paid the ultimate price. I recall a few bad things I reluctantly did as a kid due to peer pressure, ones where I figured out not to do things that made me feel guilty; because my conscience is a fairly strong one. Don't get me wrong, I did some bad things on my own as a kid, but none were particularly serious. We know kids are curious and test their spirit of adventure, this one just picked the wrong activity and the wrong playmate.

Separately, I recall shooting a 50 gallon steel drum at quite close range with my Daisy bb gun as a 12-13 year old, and catching a ricochet in my eyebrow. I kept a much safer distance from then on, the velocity was low enough you could see the bb in flight.

LB 270
03-04-2008, 01:47 PM
I agree Caber, we all did stuff when we were young. He's was 13. Nobody says 13 year olds are smart. Hanging with a "bad" 17 year old made this kid make bad choices. He probably knew it was wrong to b&e the garage but at 13 he went along with the peer group and tragedy struck. I hope that I am instilling into my kids the backbone to make the right decision when they face this instance. I know they will have to because the majority of us have been faced with this decision. My 10 year old had better be more scared to come home and tell me than to be arrested. I hope that's enough to deter him from this behavior.
Lb

geezer55
03-04-2008, 01:49 PM
One of my dad's favorite sayings was . . . " the board of education should have been applied to the seat of learning."

Rusty P. Bucket
03-04-2008, 02:12 PM
I don't have much sympathy myself. Sure, kids do stupid things but theft? Break and enter? Even we were smarter than that. I have no patience or sympathy for the criminal element regardless of their age.

Walleyes
03-04-2008, 02:15 PM
I don't have much sympathy myself. Sure, kids do stupid things but theft? Break and enter? Even we were smarter than that. I have no patience or sympathy for the criminal element regardless of their age.
X2

raised by wolves
03-04-2008, 08:15 PM
What I find scary is the number of teens that are carrying BB guns and other assorted air rifles and pistols. In law enforcement I never experienced a single firearms case involving minors. Now as a teacher, I have taken numerous weapons off students, primarily knives, but I had 3 BB gun incidents in the last year. All 3 were carried concealed and the kids had the intent of causing harm to other students.

Every couple of years there is another story of some kid dying as the result of a BB gun. Too many people underestimate the dangers posed by BBs. Too many teens want to play gangster.

Rusty P. Bucket
03-05-2008, 07:17 AM
That is why the principal is supposed to give such kids the strap, Wolves. And once the little darlings get home, Pop should give it to them again.

When I went to school (back in the days of the cave-man) I always had a knife. We all had jack knives but never abused them. We never took BB guns or 22's to school to jack around with because that would have landed us in jail.

I am just disgusted with today's parents and teachers. They won't discipline the kids, and then they wonder why all these terrible things happen with them. It's like they are more concerned with being 'buddies' with the kids rather than teaching them.

At some point in their lives, all kids need the discipline of a parent and the leadership of a teacher - and all they have to coach them today are PC morons that think spankings are lethal. These same morons have turned the shooting sports into a cultural taboo by demonizing guns as being harmful to children. When I was a kid shooting was a wholesome sport and a great way to spend time with Dad. A day on the range was a great reward for good behaviour too.

Bah. I am gonna shut this off now before it turns into a windy rant.:wave: