PDA

View Full Version : Magnets and children

FishingMOM
03-06-2012, 04:34 PM
A good reminder for parents to watch kids with magnets.
They can be deadly when swallowed and rip holes in the intestines and stomach.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/toddler-swallows-magnets-in-oregon-28513358.html

huntinstuff
03-06-2012, 04:38 PM
I think my oldest son swallowed magnets

He is stuck to the fridge 24/7

FishingMOM
03-06-2012, 04:40 PM

Thanks for the laugh.

300savage
03-06-2012, 04:43 PM

Way to go wise ass. I just choked on my coffee!

Lefty-Canuck
03-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the heads up FM....

.....I will have to take Junior off his steady diet of "Norths and Souths"

LC :)

FishingMOM
03-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the heads up FM....

.....I will have to take Junior off his steady diet of "Norths and Souths"

LC :)

It happens more than most people realize.

redranger15
03-06-2012, 05:35 PM
One's not a problem, two is.

covey ridge
03-06-2012, 07:49 PM
I thought farmers fed their cows magnets to keep all the metal from moving through intestines? My x brother in law worked in a packing plant and gave me a whole bunch. If those cows had not met the knife, those magnets would probably still be in place. I had an old pointer who was a rock eater and lived to about 14 with a handful of gravel in her innards. I am not suggesting that kids eating magnets is a good thing, but more that eating anything non food is not really advised. I think that is good advice for adults as well.

lyallpeder
03-06-2012, 07:56 PM
I thought farmers fed their cows magnets to keep all the metal from moving through intestines? My x brother in law worked in a packing plant and gave me a whole bunch. If those cows had not met the knife, those magnets would probably still be in place. I had an old pointer who was a rock eater and lived to about 14 with a handful of gravel in her innards. I am not suggesting that kids eating magnets is a good thing, but more that eating anything non food is not really advised. I think that is good advice for adults as well.

Yes they have special ones you can put down the cows throat and it keeps the metal in their gut so it won't kill them.

darius
03-06-2012, 08:16 PM
A good reminder for parents to watch kids with magnets.
They can be deadly when swallowed and rip holes in the intestines and stomach.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/toddler-swallows-magnets-in-oregon-28513358.html

prayers sent

Alberta Bigbore
03-06-2012, 09:00 PM
I think Kids armed with magnets are more Dangerous!

I remember taking some big magnet to my parents big box style TV when i was maybe 5 years old. It was destroyed. I got such an ***** tanning lol.

darius
03-06-2012, 09:06 PM
rat poison , also deadly when injested .

please be careful parents ., the box may look like captain crunch , but that sure aint whats inside !!

although it seems to be an acceptable risk " !?:confused:

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2011/12/06/383108/alec-deems-kids-eating-rat-poison-an-acceptable-risk/

CamoDerrick
03-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Yes they have special ones you can put down the cows throat and it keeps the metal in their gut so it won't kill them.

These magnets rest in the cow's second "stomach" called the rumen to gather all small bits of metal that the cow has eaten along with the grain they are fed. This is common among dairy cows, less so for beef cattle (because they are out eating in the field and not eating grain in barn).
The magnets prevent small bits of metal from breaking through the stomach wall and getting into the heart. I believe it is called "Hard wire disease" if this occurs.

But yes, this is only one magnet.

Squeeker
03-07-2012, 02:32 AM
Not the type to correct, but it's called "Hardware Disease".