PDA

View Full Version : Elk hunt - newbie

a little redneck
03-06-2012, 08:10 PM
I've had a fair amount of experience hunting whitetail deer and am interested in hunting elk this fall. Not looking for a trophy hunt, but am interested in a meat hunt, most likely a 3 pt general tag or a draw with a high applicant/draw ratio without waiting to get to priority 3 or 4 to start hunting.

My question is where is a good place to hunt (rifle hunting) with a good probability of success (early season and late season)?

Thinking of WMU's close to Grand Prairie, or something west of Sundre/Red Deer area? Figure Canmore/Kananaskis or near Calgary/Edmonton would be a zoo with week-end hunters chasing all the animals away.

looking forward to your input.

thanks

leo
03-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Unless you know land owners in Northern Alberta you will have to stick to Crown land. Start by getting a county map of the WMU that you want to hunt. It will show deeded land , lease land(that you need permission to access) and crown land, as well as the roads to access them.

Leo

SteveY66
03-07-2012, 08:27 AM
This forum has hit rock bottom when it comes to people giving information about hunting elk or any other big game.

98% will not even reply to these threads while the odd 2% will.

If you are hunting northern alberta do you homework first and head up there and get access way before you start hunting. Some areas are heavily pressured and some are more quiet. Best thing i find is spending time out there and scouting then gaining access.

Speckle55
03-07-2012, 08:34 AM
phone 310-0000 and ask for the local SRD Bio for the area you want to hunt and he will try to put you into productive areas they have done aerial surveys of the whole province but in the end it takes us all time to connect some get it down faster and spend more time and effort to learn .. hope this helps :)

Food for Thought
David

Okotokian
03-07-2012, 08:35 AM
This forum has hit rock bottom when it comes to people giving information about hunting elk or any other big game.

I'm not sure what you are complaining about (or if you actually are). You didn't give him any specific info about where to go.

So where are you from? The areas you mentioned are pretty far apart. There is some pressure around Calgary but still certainly herds you can get at, especially if you draw a late season cow tag. If I can do it, anyone can. ;) LOL

leo
03-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Further to your question. Any place you decide upon, remember, hunt the cows and you'll find the bulls. The cows will be where there is sufficient feed(Alfalfa, Oats, etc) and good bedding cover.

Leo

a little redneck
03-07-2012, 04:22 PM
I'm not sure what you are complaining about (or if you actually are). You didn't give him any specific info about where to go.

So where are you from? The areas you mentioned are pretty far apart. There is some pressure around Calgary but still certainly herds you can get at, especially if you draw a late season cow tag. If I can do it, anyone can. ;) LOL

I'm from Calgary. I'm not looking for one spot in particular just a good WMU that I can hunt reliably for quite a few years. I do not mind driving. If it's closer I'd most likely do day trips during the week.

Maptown.com has maps of all the areas (includes crown land, and 1/4 section owners), and yes I've already been driving around. I found some areas where Moose would hang out, but I'm not interested in hunting them at this time. I've even seen Moose when I've been camping from about 25 feet away.

I'd rather not be following a crowd of hunters around and would feel safer hunting in more remote areas.

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Hunting/HuntingDraws/HuntingDrawsReports/DrawsSummaryReport/Default.aspx

This link lists the draws and success rates.

It does not take a genius to figure this stuff out, not sure why some people figure it's a big secret when there are over 30,000 elk in this province.... not that I've counted them personally... lol.

elkman1
03-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Any of the areas you mentioned are good but the thing to remember is you need to know the area very well to be successful. Scouting then more scouting is the key. It would be best to hunt close to home so as you can get out as often as possible. Best of luck.

a little redneck
03-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Thanks for your replies.

slough shark
03-07-2012, 05:49 PM
FYI west of sundre and red deer are some of the hardest hit areas in the province by hunters, in fact around calgary and k-country are some of the areas in southern AB that have less pressure as everything is limited entry either through private land restrictions or draw. Also west of Sundre/red deer has been hit hard by wolves as they are at an all time high around there, there still are elk but a lot fewer in recent years. It's fairly easy to research that the highest elk populations in alberta are in a few select areas, peace country, far sw ab, just sw of calgary, as well cfb suffield (mostly on the base). just my 2 cents.

a little redneck
03-07-2012, 07:18 PM
My thoughts of around Calgary is it would be tough to hunt because of all the little parcels of land, wide open areas and many small acreages. I'm thinking crown land is the way to go or farmers that have numerous sections of land that permit hunting. I've got a number of months to figure out what will work for me.

bb356
03-07-2012, 08:34 PM
358 or 359 are pretty good ........... lot's of crown land and good people !!!

Dennisg
03-08-2012, 01:25 AM

If you are hunting northern alberta do you homework first and head up there and get access way before you start hunting. Some areas are heavily pressured and some are more quiet. Best thing i find is spending time out there and scouting then gaining access.

What is wrong with you? So what if people gives info? the guy is asking general question about WMU not your honey hole.

Shaggy
03-08-2012, 08:25 AM
What is wrong with you? So what if people gives info? the guy is asking general question about WMU not your honey hole.

I think the point he was trying to make is that people tend to NOT help a guy out, and they should.

I do my elk hunting in 305. Crown land, private and leased land. There are some decent elk numbers in there. No giant bulls, but it is general rifle for 3 point or better. I don't hunt the rifle season there so I don't know how busy it gets, but during archery season I don't see too many other bowhunters.

PM me if you want a little more specific direction.

winger7mm
03-08-2012, 11:08 AM
I think the point he was trying to make is that people tend to NOT help a guy out, and they should.

I do my elk hunting in 305. Crown land, private and leased land. There are some decent elk numbers in there. No giant bulls, but it is general rifle for 3 point or better. I don't hunt the rifle season there so I don't know how busy it gets, but during archery season I don't see too many other bowhunters.

PM me if you want a little more specific direction.

Hey dont help him out with his first elk, thats crazy. May as well just be a jerk and when he pm's you tell him to shove it. Lots of guys dont like helping out a fellow hunter :( I hope you can sense the sarcasm lol. Good on you for your willingness to give info. :)

Shaggy
03-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Hey dont help him out with his first elk, thats crazy. May as well just be a jerk and when he pm's you tell him to shove it. Lots of guys dont like helping out a fellow hunter :( I hope you can sense the sarcasm lol. Good on you for your willingness to give info. :)

I PM'ed him with specific GPS coordinates. They will take him right to the meat section of Safeway where he can buy his steaks where no animals were harmed.

Those are MY elk. Everyone stay away. I am John Q. Public. Those are Public lands. = MY land. Stay off. I don't want to have to write a strongly worded letter, but I will. Goshdarnit!!! :fighting0030:

winger7mm
03-08-2012, 01:00 PM
I PM'ed him with specific GPS coordinates. They will take him right to the meat section of Safeway where he can buy his steaks where no animals were harmed.

Those are MY elk. Everyone stay away. I am John Q. Public. Those are Public lands. = MY land. Stay off. I don't want to have to write a strongly worded letter, but I will. Goshdarnit!!! :fighting0030:

Hahah well we may just have too as I hunt 305 and Have my eyes on 217 head so :fighting0030: ill see you in the field, but if I share a celebratory beer with you after stealing your 5x6 bull from you dont be hating ;)

Shaggy
03-08-2012, 01:21 PM
ill see you in the field,

No you won't. I am a master.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g317/Goldbkle/Camocouch.jpg

winger7mm
03-08-2012, 01:53 PM
No you won't. I am a master.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g317/Goldbkle/Camocouch.jpg

Must have a hard time shooting anything laying face down on a couch ;)

Shaggy
03-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Must have a hard time shooting anything laying face down on a couch ;)

What are you talking about? There is nothing on the couch. Nothing at all.

winger7mm
03-08-2012, 02:31 PM
What are you talking about? There is nothing on the couch. Nothing at all.

Bahaha :)