PDA

View Full Version : Ever tried calling Black Bears?

timsesink
03-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Hey Guys
I'm pumped to do some Spring Spot and Stalk for Black Bears, I also thought of throwing in some calling, there's some vid's on Youtube as well as a few sites about guys who do it, however has it ever worked here in AB? Worked for you? I'm thinking either Nordegg, Grand Cache or Whitecourt/Fox Creek area.

dale7637
03-07-2012, 01:45 PM
I have brought in a few, but it really seems hit and miss.

I don't think that they have very good hearing. I also noticed that you have to call almost constantly or they lose interest.

Could just be a couple of bum bears that I called though.

Redfrog
03-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Calling black bears is a hoot. Sometimes they come in like they have a purpose and sometimes they come in like a clown trying to find the circus.

I only ever call in the spring as I'm busy with other stuff in the fall.
Fawn distress works well and you do need to call loud and long

Sledhead71
03-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Couple years back I had the opportunity to get caught between a sow and her cubs... I called out "holy *****, holy ... " a few times as I fled the area, they never followed, so I figured calling never worked... Actually got lost for a few hours.. :)

HyperMOA
03-07-2012, 02:38 PM
In the Robb/ Cadomin area a buddy and I were calling black bears but ended up with a cougar stocking our brush pile we were perched on. A little intense for a few minutes.

KegRiver
03-07-2012, 02:39 PM
I played around a bit with trying to call them with a rabbit in distress call.

Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, and sometimes they came at a run, other times they ran just as hard, in the opposite direction.

In the end I came to the conclusion, it was good for a chuckle but not a serious tool for hunting them.

Now that I have the means to try some other calls, fawn in distress, distressed cub, ext. I think I'll give it another try, for photography, from a elevated stand, for photography. Maybe.

I'll have to check the regs though. I'm not use it is legal to use a electronic call, even for photography.

timsesink
03-07-2012, 02:40 PM
LOL, that's quite the calling. Doesn't seem too common though i these parts, might be something to pass the time if I'm not seeing anything though.

just_dave
03-07-2012, 02:45 PM
There's a vid on YouTube of a guy and his dad calling in a black bear and her cubs. After a while, it was more harrasing momma bear than anything but it shows how responsive she was to the call.

timsesink
03-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Yeh i saw that one too. could be a lot of fun!

H380
03-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Calling black bears is a hoot. Sometimes they come in like they have a purpose and sometimes they come in like a clown trying to find the circus.

I only ever call in the spring as I'm busy with other stuff in the fall.
Fawn distress works well and you do need to call loud and long

X2 here .. closest I had one was 10 yds and that is too close ! Like calling anything set up where you have good field of view and be ready for ANY predator .. Oh , and watch your back ..cats are hard to discourage when they lock on to you .

bearbuster
03-07-2012, 08:43 PM
I have called Blacks in with excellent results. It has worked awesome when I spotted the bear first and called them in, and when they came they came FAST! They are either running hard or completely ignore you. I have never been able to call one in from a random setup.

Alberta Bigbore
03-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Im interested in dropping a Black Bear this Spring. Any brands or models of calls that people have had success with?

just_dave
03-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Im interested in dropping a Black Bear this Spring. Any brands or models of calls that people have had success with?

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/49/t4xvzs.jpg

DNORTHERNSNIPER
03-08-2012, 12:41 AM
I have done it about 5-6 times.
You must keep calling constantly though, when you stop they stop coming in.
I use a Primos coyote bear buster call and a Sceery cottontail distress.

Trust me ....don't try it alone.
Here is an eye opener story for you.
I had 1 bear come running in like a racehorse over a hill.
When we went down this cutline/clear cut edge the Black bear must of just been there like 5 minutes before we arrived.
I saw fresh scat in a pile so I decided to try to call.

We were on a down hill slope, my pal Dave was above me about 25 yards.
Well normally I call for a while but as soon as I started I could hear something running right at me from the backside of the hill I was on.
I turned my gun to face the incoming bear...
He was so excited he was panting and drooling....He stopped at 10 yards.
I was sitting on my butt with my 300wm on my bipod pointing at him.
At that close all I could see was black inside my scope.
He was not too big, maybe 5ft so I was not gonna shoot him unless he noticed me and charged.
The Black bear looked right past me as he scanned for the distressed prey...
I couldn't move..I just sat frozen aiming at him.
It seemed like a 10 minute stand off.
From above then I heard a HOLY S**t!! From my pal who was covering the other direction. He said he glanced over to see why I stopped calling so soon and seen the bear right in front of me.
He asked do you want me to drop him??
Im clear. I then said nope he's a bit small.
The Bear heard me and then stood up on his hind legs right in front of me.
Then he turned and quickly went back over the hill.
I had time to stand up and see his retreat.

You want adrenalin.......Try this.
But bring fresh under wear !
I was shaking for like 3 hours after, it was awesome and made our day.
I had full Predator spring green camo, facemask and gloves.
This was in May that this happened.

:)

ambush
03-08-2012, 07:18 AM
Not sure if they still sell them, but find a Carlton Bear Call, there is a cool video that goes along with it where the caller is playing ring around the tree with a big bear.... Work's great on bears that you have spotted and want to get a bit closer...

catnthehat
03-08-2012, 08:00 AM
When I used to bow hunt bears ( before baiting was allowed) I used a cub
distress call.
It gets pretty crazy at times, because you are either going to bring in a sow looking to kick butt or a boar looking for an easy meal!
It does work however.....
Cat

Billy Goat
03-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Ask Just Dave he could probably tell you! haha:bad_boys_20: