PDA

View Full Version : UFC in Calgary?

JohnB
03-07-2012, 03:06 PM
I heard that the UFC is going to be in Calgary July 21. I can't see the event on UFC.com. Anyone heard about this?

Found a link.

http://mobile.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/3/6/2849957/ufc-event-in-calgary-not-finalized-but-dana-white-confident-itll

KWO
03-07-2012, 03:31 PM
I heard the same, but haven't seen proof of it yet.

Bushmaster
03-07-2012, 03:59 PM
I know they have KFC in Calgary.....:D

Nester
03-07-2012, 04:00 PM
http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/3/6/2849957/ufc-event-in-calgary-not-finalized-but-dana-white-confident-itll

By Mike Chiappetta - Senior Writer

Follow @MMAFighting on Twitter, and Like MMA Fighting on Facebook.

Mar 6, 2012 - NEW YORK -- A rumored summertime UFC event in Calgary is still under consideration and yet to be finalized, but UFC president Dana White on Tuesday told MMA Fighting that he's confident a deal will get done.

"It's not done but it's going to happen," White said on Tuesday after a press conference to announce another event, the UFC on FOX 3 show in East Rutherford, New Jersey.

Other sources told MMA Fighting that several details still need to be worked out before the date can be officially added to the UFC's calendar. The projected date and site for the event, which would be UFC 149, is July 21 at the Scotiabank Saddledome, the home arena of the NHL's Calgary Flames.

The possibility of the event was first reported by Canada's Sportsnet. Just yesterday, however, Sportsnet reported that the Canadian Medical Association is mounting opposition to a possible event in the Calgary, even though other events have previously been sanctioned in the city's home province of Alberta.

Canada has been a major market for the UFC over the last few years, with the promotion's largest-ever gate, $11 million, coming from a Rogers Centre event in Toronto. Other successful events have been held in Montreal and Vancouver, but a planned March show in Montreal was scrapped after the UFC couldn't secure a worthy main event, and Vancouver seems to have fallen off the UFC's radar after regulatory changes, insurance concerns and other issues.

That's left Edmonton and Calgary as the two Canadian cities most likely to get a UFC event, and for now it seems that the latter is more likely to get one first.

The Scotiabank Saddledome's seating capacity is 19,289 for hockey, with other configurations including floor seats possibly boosting that total higher.

CaberTosser
03-07-2012, 05:06 PM
I would love to see an event in person! Let's hope the busy body medical association learn to STFU; I recall that the same highly degreed neanderthals also get vocal behind gun control causes; odd that they don't spend their spare time healing the sick instead of these fruitless endeavors.

darius
03-07-2012, 05:09 PM
I would love to see an event in person! Let's hope the busy body medical association learn to STFU; I recall that the same highly degreed neanderthals also get vocal behind gun control causes; odd that they don't spend their spare time healing the sick intend of these fruitless endeavors.

ive been and it 's better on tv , unless you wanna pay the big buck for floor seatign

roger
03-07-2012, 05:20 PM
totally correct Cabertosser!

ive been and it 's better on tv

i got free front row tickets to a hockey game once and it sucked, left in the second period. people screaming, loud, didnt know what was happening...horrible experience. it was the first time mark messier played against edmonton after being traded to some other team. turned me from a 10% hockey fan into a zero% fan.

as much as i would like to see one, i would imagine that would be the same for UFC.
I like the commentary and the replays. Joe Rogan and those announcers help identify the chess match that it really is, rather than two guys leaking blood.

Bigdad013
03-07-2012, 05:58 PM
If you need commentary, then you don't have a true grasp of the sport, and should probably watch it on TV. Saw it live in Vegas and what a show. Floor seats for sure, you really get a feel for how hard these guys hit and kick when you hear it in person, TV doesn't capture it at all. If it comes, I know I will be on the floor cheering. Bring it on

spinerfisher
03-07-2012, 06:20 PM
If it sells out i would be suprised!!BORING:fighting0030:

Donkey Oatey
03-07-2012, 06:23 PM
If it sells out i would be suprised!!BORING:fighting0030:

If it doesn't sell out in less than a day I will be surprised. Look at Toronto, 57000 tickets in less then an hour.

cougarhunter
03-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Anyone know when tickets are supposed to go on sale?

darius
03-07-2012, 06:34 PM
totally correct Cabertosser!

i got free front row tickets to a hockey game once and it sucked, left in the second period. people screaming, loud, didnt know what was happening...horrible experience. it was the first time mark messier played against edmonton after being traded to some other team. turned me from a 10% hockey fan into a zero% fan.

as much as i would like to see one, i would imagine that would be the same for UFC.
I like the commentary and the replays. Joe Rogan and those announcers help identify the chess match that it really is, rather than two guys leaking blood.

i know what you mean about a hockey game and the front row , totaly different for a fight !

roger
03-07-2012, 06:35 PM
If you need commentary, then you don't have a true grasp of the sport, and should probably watch it on TV. Saw it live in Vegas and what a show TV doesn't capture it at all. If it comes, I know I will be on the floor cheering. Bring it on

im sure we have all been to concerts that were better than the album and vice versa.:)
because i (might) not like it live or know the name of every single move, doesnt mean I dont have a grasp of it. there is no denying these guys are machines.
no doubt! i would be an adventure like no other, the ambience would be incredible and that the show is about.
been supporting mma since ufc2, back when 'No rules' was cool!:sHa_shakeshout:
Alberta and Albertans deserve this!!
hope it works out

riden
03-07-2012, 07:08 PM
If it doesn't sell out in less than a day I will be surprised. Look at Toronto, 57000 tickets in less then an hour.

I hate how they allow scalpers to buy these.

Anyone got a rough guess on prices?

CaberTosser
03-07-2012, 07:09 PM
I think a lot of the experience of the event would also be drawing from the energy and intensity of the crowd, that can often really add a lot in many situations, from concerts to hockey games to parades and I'm sure to fights as well. If tour companies can sell packages flying people to Vegas from here for fights, you can bet plenty will ante in for one held locally. My brother-in-law and his wife went to Vegas for a GSP fight a year or so ago that was packaged.