PDA

View Full Version : Best Restaurants/Take Out in Calgary

bloopbloob
03-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Been eating out a lot lately in Calgary by necessity. Wondering what everyones favorite places are. Preferably near 16th ave central, but will travel a ways for good eats.
I like any kind of food. Bbq'd meats, Chinese, and Mexican are probably my favorites but open to anything.
Some great spots I've found: Gaucho (Latin, pretty pricey), Holy Smoke (BBQ), Emerald Garden (Chinese), Sedar Grove Pizza (Pizza's great, donairs ok...) Pho Phuong Vi (Vietnamese with the best service I've ever received in Calgary), Boogies Burgers, Koryo (bulgogi beef bun mmm).
I recommend these places to anyone.
And lots and lots of Subway... good stuff but sick of it :(

Anyone care to share some good places they've found? Doesn't have to be fancy, usually a table for 1 or just take-out, so its all about the food for me.

CaberTosser
03-07-2012, 04:36 PM
There's a Thai place on 17th Ave SW at 36th Street called Chili Club that we really like, they also do take out but it's not inexpensive; the takeout bags look worthy of Park Avenue, NY. Chianti is always a good bet for Italian and they have numerous locations and some deal nights for the frugal.

darius
03-07-2012, 04:48 PM
2 hot dogs and a pop $ 2 at ikea

bigdaddy37
03-07-2012, 04:49 PM
BBQ: Big T's by McMahon
Chinese: Silver Dragon down town (I usually go there for Dim Sum), Silver Inn on Centre and 25th is good. Cherry Inn is also an option but a bit north.
Pizza: Stavro's is were we get ours from. Still looking for something better.
Thai: Thai Boat over on 32.

Thi Thi for vietnamese subs... I've only gone to the one by Harry Hayes, but I hear there's another somewhere.

Boogies is good burgers. CB's is an option, on Northmount. My buddy say Angel's in Bowness is good, but I've not been. I also like Five Guys but isnt near to 16th.

Fish and Chips: The Halibut House on Edmonton Trail (near to Boogies).

Shwarma/donair: Jimmy's on 20th Ave. Bring a bib and an empty stomach!

S-in-Cochrane
03-07-2012, 05:29 PM
A little ways off but Matador Pizza & Steakhouse in Varsity is awesome.

Bigdad013
03-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Van goghs in Valley ridge, good prices, good food, if you don't mind a little garlic, and you can have kids in the bar. If you want some good fine dining, The Bears Den on 1A. Expensive, but well worth it, great service as well

nick0danger
03-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Bears den over rated in my opinion eat there a few times a year. la trattoria d'italia really good Italian go during the week and the prices will be better but good value either way.

FishingMOM
03-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Glenmore inn for their brunch and buffet on weekends
the vietnamese place on 64th ne by the canadian tire/kfc and deerfoot.

There is a lebanese place on edmonton trail right near 16th ave ne
They have great stuff.

DarkAisling
03-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Tops Pizza and Sports Bar does delivery and makes a great Greek pizza! 56th St and 4th ave NW (I think?)

walleyechaser
03-07-2012, 07:04 PM
gaucho is a brazilian rodizio good food, but i agree its pricey.

If you want a little drive longview steakhouse makes the best steak around the area. Stavros makes good pizza

bloopbloob
03-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Thanks all! Keep em coming!

Just thought I'd add another to my list after eating there tonight.
Tropical Corner (Latin-mexican/cuban) was delicious. Very nice people, authentic. Tried a few things, but highly recommend the shredded beef burrito!

cougarhunter
03-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Had the best steak i've ever eaten at a restaurant the other night at Ric's grill on 17th

lucky_magic_stick
03-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Keith's deli across from chinook center the large keith's special is great here's the link http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/1418937/restaurant/Macleod-Trail/Keiths-Deli-Calgary great place.Cheers Andy

justsomeguy
03-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Hut 14, corner fairmont and franklin see. Good Indian food.

NoKlu
03-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Double post?

NoKlu
03-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Nick's across from McMahon stadium has good pizza. Jimmy's A&A Deli has great Donairs and his Chicken Shawarma's are incredible. 1401 20 Ave NW.

pottymouth
03-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Tops Pizza and Sports Bar does delivery and makes a great Greek pizza! 56th St and 4th ave NW (I think?)

Tops Pizza and Sports Bar, 5602 4th St NW

Rancid Crabtree
03-07-2012, 09:14 PM
The prime rib at smugglers inn on McLeod trail is the best meal I have found in Calgary

a little redneck
03-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Been eating out a lot lately in Calgary by necessity. Wondering what everyones favorite places are. Preferably near 16th ave central, but will travel a ways for good eats.
I like any kind of food. Bbq'd meats, Chinese, and Mexican are probably my favorites but open to anything.
Some great spots I've found: Gaucho (Latin, pretty pricey), Holy Smoke (BBQ), Emerald Garden (Chinese), Sedar Grove Pizza (Pizza's great, donairs ok...) Pho Phuong Vi (Vietnamese with the best service I've ever received in Calgary), Boogies Burgers, Koryo (bulgogi beef bun mmm).
I recommend these places to anyone.
And lots and lots of Subway... good stuff but sick of it :(

Anyone care to share some good places they've found? Doesn't have to be fancy, usually a table for 1 or just take-out, so its all about the food for me.

Try Notable for Dining

Spoonful has pretty tasty food for take-out

a little redneck
03-07-2012, 09:18 PM
The Place has good pizza

Erik
03-07-2012, 10:45 PM
my favourite when I visit Calgary is to go to Spolumbos get a sandwich and then fish the Bow and have a picnic...great times, great river, great city

Dentye
03-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Boleros down on McLeod and Glen more trail-ish is great but a bit pricy.

Jamie
03-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Boleros down on McLeod and Glen more trail-ish is great but a bit pricy.

Personally, I would take smugglers in the same building. Best prime rib in the world. Love the salad bar and steak soup as well.
Make the trip down south.
Jamie

hassihand
03-08-2012, 03:06 AM
Can't rule out Korean BBQ Sushi Inn across from SAIT. Surprisingly good sushi and every table has a hibachi (sp?) that you can grill a variety of meat on while waiting on your sashimi. Think its around $24 for all you can eat.

bloopbloob
03-08-2012, 03:28 AM
Can't rule out Korean BBQ Sushi Inn across from SAIT. Surprisingly good sushi and every table has a hibachi (sp?) that you can grill a variety of meat on while waiting on your sashimi. Think its around $24 for all you can eat.

I've heard nothing but bad things about that place...

Chomack
03-08-2012, 08:14 AM
My favorite place for Steak is Vintage on 11th Ave. Pricey but worth it a few times a year.
I eat at Caesars downtown quite a bit, which has incredible steaks with a unique atmosphere.
Favorite Pizza place is Odyssey Pizza on Bow Trail and 37th St SW. Pickup discount is 20% which makes the Pizza even tastier. But I would recommend Nick's by McMahon for something closer to you.

Best BBQ place I have found is Palomino on 7th Ave across from the Hyatt.

For Mexican - I'd stay away from Julios Barrio. The food is ok, but everytime I leave there, I feel like I paid $100 for a $40 meal.

DarkAisling
03-08-2012, 08:30 AM

Oops! Screwed that one right up, didn't I? Thanks for clarifying. :)

(That was an embarrassing mistake for a cartographer to make :o)

walking buffalo
03-08-2012, 11:27 AM

Are you sure that's the correct address? :lol:

And why are there always more single women there than guys?

It's getting hard to find a really good pizza in Calgary. I go to Tops.

sheephunter
03-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Spicy Hut on Edmonton Trail south near Memorial. Best Thai food in Calgary!

marlin1
03-08-2012, 12:27 PM
viet sub place across from Harry Hays building . Always lined up for lunch so go early . Tom's house of Pizza if you like thin crust on centre and mcknight

Coulee
03-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Al's Pizza in Ranchlands. Great pizza and Greek food. Someone also mentioned Keith's Deli off MacLeod at 61st ave.

DiabeticKripple
03-08-2012, 04:06 PM
I love bow river restaurant for thai, ginger beef for Chinese, for pizza I like Sammy's and BBQ is big t's

fajita123
03-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Anyone know a good place for a po'boy? I've only been to Bookers Crab Shack and it was just ok. I hear Big Fish is supposed to be good, but haven't made it yet.

I like Falafel King on Stephen Ave for shawarmasm Chachi's in TD for sandwiches (they have a couple locations). Spolumbo's is good too, but their sandwiches get tiring. Still love their sausage.

hassihand
03-09-2012, 12:22 AM
I've heard nothing but bad things about that place...

Fair enough, stay away...it sucks big time! Maybe I won't have to wait for a table next time I go (because it is lined up every night of the week by those looking to spend $ on another terrible meal.)

As per Tommy Boy..."You can get a helluva good look at a T-Bone by sticking your head up a Bull's *****, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it?"

My $0.02

DarkAisling
03-09-2012, 08:01 AM
Are you sure that's the correct address? :lol:

And why are there always more single women there than guys?

It's getting hard to find a really good pizza in Calgary. I go to Tops.

I guess all the single guys on the forum are going to have to run over to Tops and find out.

Maybe they'll have a great meal . . . and a nice dessert. ;)

FishingMOM
03-09-2012, 08:16 AM
But I would recommend Nick's by McMahon for something closer to you.

Nick's Sucks big time.

Al's pizza in ranchlands is good. Anyone from Ontario would appreciate their pizza. Sunday is 50% off eat in.

marlin1
03-09-2012, 08:21 AM
I guess all the single guys on the forum are going to have to run over to Tops and find out.

I've been there , was pretty good . Am I missing something ?

pottymouth
03-09-2012, 10:55 AM

Nope! Walking buffalo picks up all his private sandwich makers at Tops!

marlin1
03-09-2012, 11:00 AM
figures :) we should all meet up again sometime , it was good

walleyechaser
03-09-2012, 11:02 AM

I bet there will be a lot of single guys there tonight, just from that comment. you might just have made tops record sales in one little comment

FallAirFever
03-09-2012, 02:24 PM

I heard the guy who runs Tops is a pretty good dude who is pretty big into the outdoors. Its pretty far out of my way but need to make it there.

DarkAisling
03-09-2012, 02:58 PM
I heard the guy who runs Tops is a pretty good dude who is pretty big into the outdoors. Its pretty far out of my way but need to make it there.

I heard that he occasionally comps a drink for AOFers, too. Must be a good guy!

Sadly, I haven't eaten in there in around five years. We've only had delivery from there since our little guy was born. I've yet to shake the hand of the man in person, but rumour has it that he's top-notch.

Razor 49
03-09-2012, 03:35 PM
X2 for Keith's Deli across from the Chinook Center and Notables in Bowness. The have some great take out at Notables as well. There is the Schnitzel House about half a block away from Notables but haven't tried it yet.

Kingfisher
03-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Wings chineese food in Silver springs. Man do they make some of the best ever chineese food. I get hungry just thinking about it.

http://www.wingstakeout.com/

It doesn't get any better than that.
Rob

marlin1
03-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Wings chineese food in Silver springs. Man do they make some of the best ever chineese food. I get hungry just thinking about it.

http://www.wingstakeout.com/

It doesn't get any better than that.
Rob

have you tried 'wok with dave' in ranchlands been our fav for years in the NW

AvayaAce
03-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Vietnamese - MeeKong 17th Ave and 25 St SE

Chinese - Leo Fu's Mcleod Trail

Pizza & Greek - Oddessey Piza Bow Trail and 37 Street SW

Italian - Il Galo Nero 17 ave and centre st

blackmamba
03-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Nope! Walking buffalo picks up all his private sandwich makers at Tops!

great place to go and eat !!! everything on the menu is stellar , especially the sandwhich servers ...

nrsmatth
03-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Take a look at our favorite picks - http://calgaryfoodies.com

Toirtis
03-16-2012, 07:35 PM
BBQ: Big T's by McMahon

Silver Inn on Centre and 25th is good.

Cherry Inn is also an option but a bit north.

Fish and Chips: The Halibut House on Edmonton Trail (near to Boogies).

Shwarma/donair: Jimmy's on 20th Ave. Bring a bib and an empty stomach!

Hear, hear.

Also, Puspa on Northmount for Bengalese, Spicy Hut on Edmonton Trail, and the Jamaican Place beside the dry cleaners on Center at 21st....oh, and Holy Smoke on 16th by the Coop....and the best Mexican (although a bit distant) is Salt & Pepper on MacLeod.

bloopbloob
03-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Well since this thread is back...

I have eaten out, every single day, breakfast lunch and dinner for approx 3 weeks now. No kitchen. Getting very tiresome! Was kinda fun trying all these places out, for a bit, but not any more! I've tried a lot of the suggestions, some were enjoyable, some, not so much. But i love to hear peoples reviews and I'll keep trying new places

Neil Waugh
03-16-2012, 07:53 PM
When I'm down in Cowtown visiting my med school stud I'm pretty well welded to the Kensington Pub. Walking distance from the condo. Staggering distance on the way back. Works for me. Nelly's hits the spot for breakfast. There's a darn good Indian in the nabe too.

Commander B
03-16-2012, 11:44 PM
Pepinos Italian deli. Kensinton road, The Da Nicos sub is the best sandwich i have ever eaten. Home made meatballs fresh sliced meats and go double on the homemade sauce, skip the banana peppers.

Super authentic Thai. Ruan Thai. 10thave SW aprox 1 block east of 14th st.

B.