PDA

View Full Version : Speeding up immigration

great white whaler
03-07-2012, 08:38 PM
I have no problems with people who move here from other countrys ,but is our government gone mad ? www. immigration of canada

Arachnodisiac
03-07-2012, 08:45 PM
What do you mean, exactly?

And, having dealt with Immigration Canada for my ex-husband, I assure you it was every bit a complete nightmare, and took a full two years once the application was submitted.

great white whaler
03-07-2012, 08:56 PM
minister of immigration what to speed things up for immigrates,,at around 150,000 heads per year till we reach 1.5 million ,is this good or bad for lower payed canadians ?

CaberTosser
03-07-2012, 09:57 PM
minister of immigration what to speed things up for immigrates,,at around 150,000 heads per year till we reach 1.5 million ,is this good or bad for lower payed canadians ?

Does it matter? Do you see thousands of Canadians madly scrambling for the entry-level jobs that are typically filled by new immigrants? The Tim Hortons jobs, the janitorial positions and the general labor positions? No? Because there's always one of those jobs available. The only people I ever see out of work are either those who are too lazy, too stupid, too mentally ill or too full of themselves. Then there's thieves and the illegal types like drug dealers. The only people out of work are in that position for a reason; usually it's self induced. The skilled immigrant workers we generally don't see complaints about bringing in, such as the doctors, the engineers, the university professors. Our South African family physician would be a prime example. I'm all for us bringing in skilled workers we are short of.

Lower income Canadians can either buck up to the level of their competition or sink, just like anyone else in any industry or occupation. You get what you give. Ain't capitalism great?

Bushrat
03-07-2012, 10:12 PM
but is our government gone mad ?

Were you somehow under the impression that it wasn't??

gitrdone
03-07-2012, 10:19 PM
I think Canada should adopt a system more like the Australian one. Have immigration based on a point system, if you meet the # of points required to get citizenship "Welcome!" and when your here embrace the Canadian culture (national languages-English and French and speak one of them, national anthem, religious freedoms and our Pride for this great country! And
DON'T DARE TRY AND CHANGE IT!!! Or your *** will be on the first boat back!)
Simple isn't it!?

Vote gitrdone!:sHa_shakeshout:

Bushrat
03-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Does it matter? Do you see thousands of Canadians madly scrambling for the entry-level jobs that are typically filled by new immigrants? The Tim Hortons jobs, the janitorial positions and the general labor positions? No? Because there's always one of those jobs available.

Depends on what part of the country you live in. I was in the Maritimes this past spring and saw no immigrants working in any of the Tim Hortons I went to, it was all locals who do the minimium wage jobs, the jobs are so few the immigrants are at the back of the employment line. When a place advertises a minimum wage job opening there are 40 locals fighting over it.

CaberTosser
03-07-2012, 10:36 PM
Depends on what part of the country you live in. I was in the Maritimes this past spring and saw no immigrants working in any of the Tim Hortons I went to, it was all locals who do the minimium wage jobs, the jobs are so few the immigrants are at the back of the employment line. When a place advertises a minimum wage job opening there are 40 locals fighting over it.

Thats likely due to the powers that be steering them to the areas with employment; or it could be simple common sense on their part, who'd want to move to an economically depressed area? Or stay in one for that matter?

Hun-Ter
03-07-2012, 10:42 PM
I think Canada should adopt a system more like the Australian one. Have immigration based on a point system, if you meet the # of points required to get citizenship "Welcome!" and when your here embrace the Canadian culture (national languages-English and French and speak one of them, national anthem, religious freedoms and our Pride for this great country! And
Simple isn't it!?

The Canadian immigration system is a point based system in many years now. The applicants has to proove their English/French language proficiency, education, work experience, etc., even age matters. In the final step they have to pass a medical exham. You can look it up on the CIC web site.

riden
03-07-2012, 10:47 PM

2 things:

1--What is best for lower paid Canadians, may not be what is best for Canada or Alberta. Ensuring low income workers have jobs at a higher wage than they deserve, by decreasing immigration, will not promote economic development, more likely stifle it.

2--Lets not confuse temporary workers with immigrants. 60 % of immigrants are economic or families of economic immigrants. I saw a stat very recently that 3 years after moving to Canada, economic immigrants averaged $75-80k year.

They aren't getting that at Timmies.

riden
03-07-2012, 10:49 PM
The Canadian immigration system is a point based system in many years now. The applicants has to proove their English/French language proficiency, education, work experience, etc., even age matters. In the final step they have to pass a medical exham. You can look it up on the CIC web site.

I am tempted to say this has been around at least 20 years now.

Mhunter51
03-08-2012, 07:52 AM
Sorry Ridden but I disagree. Went to Home Depot the other day. Looking for some 1/2'' treated plywood for a project at the lake. No luck so I spot three fellows setting up a shower enclosure display. Walk over and say " Excuse me ". Nothing, not even a look up. Maybe they didn't hear me. I say it louder and two of the three look up with their hands open upwards and then to the ears and shake their heads saying something in a foreign language. Third guy says something in broken english about isle four over there. Explain I've been there. He walks me back and I tell him what I want. He pulls out a 4x8 PEGBOARD. No I want treated plywood. He walks away saying '' I du nott nooo''. I walk out and by " customer service". Guy at the door asks how its going. I relay my encounter and he looks around ( for other empoyees ) and says in a low voice " I know. Ever since we got the manager from that other country he is hiring only his fellow country-men as much as he can".
I look back at customer service and the have a huge sign complimenting themselves for great customer service to everyone with a caption that reads " We speak your language". I told them they should maybe take it down before I left the store. These imigrants did not pass the 'english' test. On to Co-op.

CanuckShooter
03-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Simple isn't it!?

I think we shoud cut a deal with the countries that immigrants come from. We should have the host country take a paid contract to incarcerate 1 of our criminals in exchange for us allowing 1 immigrant from their country!!

Where Canada spends $100,000 a year to hold a prisoner, one of these other countries probably spends $1,500 a year...think of the savings that could be achieved with a deal like that?

CS

JB_AOL
03-08-2012, 08:59 AM
I think we shoud cut a deal with the countries that immigrants come from. We should have the host country take a paid contract to incarcerate 1 of our criminals in exchange for us allowing 1 immigrant from their country!!

I like that idea..

GOPHERSPLAT
03-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Like Hun-Ter says, its a points based system and its quite tough to accrue the level of points needed for entry,and like Arach says it takes a good while to get it done,I think it took us 3 years+ to get it sorted.
We're English,I'm a Journeyman Machinist and the wife is a Senior Systems Analyst and we just scraped in as points required for entry had been raised,its since been lowered because it was so high that even skilled workers could not get in.
Just to clarify,if you qualify with enough points you will become a Landed Immigrant,not a Canadian Citizen,thats another hurdle to jump.
I hope that Canada doesnt ever go for an open door policy like the UK,a "come in everythings free" attitude has resulted in, I'm sorry to say, a country thats fast going down the tubes.
We love it here,we're staying!!

Okotokian
03-08-2012, 09:29 AM
I have no problems with people who move here from other countrys ,but is our government gone mad ? www. immigration of canada

They are trying to address a ridiculous backlog of applications that will take years to wade through. The proposals are to put more emphasis on needed skills, education, language skills. I'm all for it. More needed workers, less bringing grandma and grandpa over.

I have to admit though, I'm starting to have more concerns about large scale immigration. I'm not concerned about cultural issues, but environmental ones. I can't get my head around how it will be a better place to live when Canada has 100 million people and 5 million of them live in Calgary... navigating weekend traffic jams along highway 40 trying to get into Kananaskis....

CanuckShooter
03-08-2012, 09:36 AM
They are trying to address a ridiculous backlog of applications that will take years to wade through. The proposals are to put more emphasis on needed skills, education, language skills. I'm all for it. More needed workers, less bringing grandma and grandpa over.

I have to admit though, I'm starting to have more concerns about large scale immigration. I'm not concerned about cultural issues, but environmental ones. I can't get my head around how it will be a better place to live when Canada has 100 million people and 5 million of them live in Calgary... navigating weekend traffic jams along highway 40 trying to get into Kananaskis....

Just think what that will do for real estate values...:thinking-006:

Rocky7
03-08-2012, 09:53 AM
There's a lot of very good research and thinking here:

http://immigrationreform.ca/english/view.asp?x=1

Send them a few bucks - or stop complaining.

Redfrog
03-08-2012, 10:03 AM
I'm all for skilled medical professionals getting certified to practice here.
A 10 minute visit to my South African doc takes at least 20 while we work through the language difficulties. Language proficiency:snapoutofit::snapoutofit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ol-RyYnTD4

We could use a few more dentists. Maybe a filling wouldn't cost $400 then.

chasingtail
03-08-2012, 10:06 AM
I was hoping when the Conservatives got in there would be less immigration, seems it's increasing kind of like when mulroney was in, 400,000 a year is way to many. Foriegn workers is nothing but a subsidy for big business. No way a foriegn worker pays enough in taxes to cover all of Canadas social programs. We make up the difference while big business gets cheap labour.

hunterbobthebuilder
03-08-2012, 10:08 AM
[QUOTE=Bushrat;1336412]Depends on what part of the country you live in. I was in the Maritimes this past spring and saw no immigrants working in any of the Tim Hortons I went to, it was all locals who do the minimium wage jobs, the jobs are so few the immigrants are at the back of the employment line. When a place advertises a minimum wage job opening there are 40 locals fighting over it.[

East coast still has a set of balls. Where I grew up a east indian family moved in and took over the burger king they were pretty much run outta town and a local bought it back . East coast people usually have to much pride to let immigrants walk all over them.

Okotokian
03-08-2012, 10:09 AM

And, having dealt with Immigration Canada for my ex-husband, I assure you it was every bit a complete nightmare, and took a full two years once the application was submitted.

Maybe they should have made it even more difficult. Then you wouldn't have to deal with an "ex" Mr. Arachnodisiac ;)

walleyechaser
03-08-2012, 10:10 AM
I'm all for skilled medical professionals getting certified to practice here.
A 10 minute visit to my South African doc takes at least 20 while we work through the language difficulties. Language proficiency

Very interesting, South Africans speak English, without South African doctors many rural albertan cities would be tanked.

No wonder the Canadian government scouts down there all the time..

Redfrog
03-08-2012, 10:14 AM
I have nothing against South African doctors. This is the second one I've had. The first was very fluent. This guy not so much. As a linguist he barely gets a pass, as a doctor I have no complaints.

uglyelk
03-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Does it matter? Do you see thousands of Canadians madly scrambling for the entry-level jobs that are typically filled by new immigrants? The Tim Hortons jobs, the janitorial positions and the general labor positions? No? Because there's always one of those jobs available. The only people I ever see out of work are either those who are too lazy, too stupid, too mentally ill or too full of themselves. Then there's thieves and the illegal types like drug dealers. The only people out of work are in that position for a reason; usually it's self induced. The skilled immigrant workers we generally don't see complaints about bringing in, such as the doctors, the engineers, the university professors. Our South African family physician would be a prime example. I'm all for us bringing in skilled workers we are short of.

Lower income Canadians can either buck up to the level of their competition or sink, just like anyone else in any industry or occupation. You get what you give. Ain't capitalism great?

Tough for school kids in town to score entry level jobs at the hotels and restaurants when all those positions are already filled by temporary workers and new Canadians. And yes they tend to hire there own as soon as they get in a position too. Was hoping my kid could save some money for his education by scoring one of these jobs that are "always available". But there's no room at the inn....looks like I'm paying for 100% of his education.

Thanks immigration, nice to see my tax dollars helping me out once again!

Caber, my son is not fat lazy or mentally ill. He is however getting screwed by his government.

Doesn't make any sense to me to open the flood gates and bring in all these skilled tradesmen. We should be developing our own skilled work force not importing it. For decades we have had problems with youth unemployment in this nation. Instead of training them we are filling the need offshore with non canadians . With trades filling up with off shore folks and entry level crap jobs filling up with off shore folks what are Canadian kids supose to do?

I guess Canada is a land for skilled folks and rich folks and if your not trained or got a silver spoon in your yap you best get out. You know all that military service turns out to be a waste I've time....we were pointing our weapons in the wrong direction. We should have had them pointed at Ottawa, that's were the biggest threat to this country resides.

Canada should be for Canadians. Instead of out sourcing work we just imported the off shore workers. End result is the same.

Starting to look like you need to speak Filipino or Mexican to get a job around here. Local stone works company imported all mexican stone masons....I suspect we will not see any local folks getting hired to apprentice.

Calgary airport is an interesting place...all the drivers are from?
Janitors are all from? Strange how only one race or nation applies for a job????

Or are they hiring to the exclusion of all other peoples. Welcome to imigration coming soon to a work force near you! Canadians need not apply!

jimbo1
03-08-2012, 10:20 AM
i can vouch that canadian immigration is ridiculouly slow!!!:angry3: im a year into the process ans still only halfway!! im an electrician so one would think the skilled trades would get in a little quicker:thinking-006:

Okotokian
03-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Doesn't make any sense to me to open the flood gates and bring in all these skilled tradesmen. We should be developing our own skilled work force not importing it.

x2 We are going tens of billions of dollars into debt each year to fund "Canada's Economic Action Plan" to keep people from losing their jobs yet apparently crying for more workers and bringing them in. Major wasteful disconnect going on here. Spend the billions retraining those who have lost their jobs, or are about to, for real jobs we need in the future.

Jimboy
03-08-2012, 11:03 AM

Yea , your right , its people like you that want us all back to the days of slave labour , the imigrants are brought over here for one thing and one purpose only , and thats to have cheap labour for big business , scab labour to bust unions and more profits for big business , it lowers our quality of life as we know it , so yea keepum coming , and we,ll all soon be eatin off the ground like they do.

airbornedeerhunter
03-08-2012, 11:04 AM
We are a nation of immigrants, only problem is that the new generation of immigrant by and large wants to do nothing to improve Canada and make it part of their life. Early settlers came here, whether they landed in Newfoundland or Alberta and busted their butt to build a life, a community, a Country. They maintained their culture and traditions without infringing on the beliefs and traditions of another. They fought in wars to defend Canada, built a democratic society and assimilated! Stand an Irish immigrant next to a Ukrainian one and you could'nt tell the difference until they opened their mouths. Today is a vastly different immigrant situation. Most are unskilled, uneducated, unable to fully grasp the language, refuse to assimilate, insist they be given everything for nothing and demand that our laws be amended to accommodate them. Most will never work for more than minimum wage, and try to bring their elderly and infirmed relatives to live with them who have not earned or spent a dime in this country but will be entitled to free healthcare and become a burden on our system. Most urban centers are now overrun with immigrant gang activity from ratholes like Somalia and South East Asia and honour killings are now becoming the norm within family groups with a Muslim background. It is reprehensible that educated,skilled and civilized persons wishing to immigrate to this country get pushed to the back of the line despite the fact that they would be an asset to our country, but if you arrive on a listing garbage scow, packed in like cordwood with not a word of english in your vocabulary and your only skill is having a pulse and scratching your arse, you are welcomed with open arms at huge expense to the taxpayer and are pushed to the front of the line because you are a refugee. Absolutely shameful. My great grandparents were Irish immigrants and I'm sure they are rolling in their graves at what this place has sunk to!

doetracks
03-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Well, thankfully, hubby had a pretty easy time coming from the U.S. I believe applications started in February and he had permanent residency by October (same year).

That's by marriage, though.

My attempt at getting a U.S. green card, though, was ridiculous. I almost had it 9 years later, but by that time I had enough BS.

Okotokian
03-08-2012, 11:20 AM
honour killings are now becoming the norm within family groups with a Muslim background. !

We've had one highly publicized case in the past year. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't represent "the norm".

And you do also realize that immigrant support for transit, training, granting of land, and other encouragements has been part of government policy since the 1800's, right? I'm not saying a lot of modification of our immigration policy isn't required, but let's start the discussion with facts and a historical perspective rather than wild unsubstantiated rhetoric.

Zulu9er
03-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Tough for school kids in town to score entry level jobs at the hotels and restaurants when all those positions are already filled by temporary workers and new Canadians. And yes they tend to hire there own as soon as they get in a position too. Was hoping my kid could save some money for his education by scoring one of these jobs that are "always available". But there's no room at the inn....looks like I'm paying for 100% of his education.

Thanks immigration, nice to see my tax dollars helping me out once again!

Caber, my son is not fat lazy or mentally ill. He is however getting screwed by his government.

Doesn't make any sense to me to open the flood gates and bring in all these skilled tradesmen. We should be developing our own skilled work force not importing it. For decades we have had problems with youth unemployment in this nation. Instead of training them we are filling the need offshore with non canadians . With trades filling up with off shore folks and entry level crap jobs filling up with off shore folks what are Canadian kids supose to do?

I guess Canada is a land for skilled folks and rich folks and if your not trained or got a silver spoon in your yap you best get out. You know all that military service turns out to be a waste I've time....we were pointing our weapons in the wrong direction. We should have had them pointed at Ottawa, that's were the biggest threat to this country resides.

Canada should be for Canadians. Instead of out sourcing work we just imported the off shore workers. End result is the same.

Starting to look like you need to speak Filipino or Mexican to get a job around here. Local stone works company imported all mexican stone masons....I suspect we will not see any local folks getting hired to apprentice.

Calgary airport is an interesting place...all the drivers are from?
Janitors are all from? Strange how only one race or nation applies for a job????

Or are they hiring to the exclusion of all other peoples. Welcome to imigration coming soon to a work force near you! Canadians need not apply!

I have never been comfortable with them working at our airports,, a TOTAL security threat once one of "the believers" cons them into wearing a vest prior to going thru security. I'll duck now as some of you righteous folks will want to sling back at me.

NSRfishing
03-08-2012, 11:46 AM
[QUOTE=chasingtail;1336911]I was hoping when the Conservatives got in there would be less immigration, seems it's increasing kind of like when mulroney was in, 400,000 a year is way to many. Foriegn workers is nothing but a subsidy for big business. No way a foriegn worker pays enough in taxes to cover all of Canadas social programs. We make up the difference while big business gets cheap labour.[/QUOTE
Yup that's what it's all about cheap labour

NSRfishing
03-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Ralph klein closing all the trade schools in edmonton remember that he said alberta would never need so much skilled labour

darius
03-08-2012, 11:54 AM
there are a bunch of ingorant dufuses posting here !

the gov wants to stream line specialized workers , with trades to fill the shortage . they work , join union and make what everyone else makes . how you see this a business getting cheap labor is a stretch !!

i guess its a shot to the ego when someone that lived in a mud house and road a donkey to work comes here and makes as much and more than you do because he is a harder worker with better work ethic !!!!

Redfrog
03-08-2012, 11:59 AM
there are a bunch of ingorant dufuses posting here !

the gov wants to stream line specialized workers , with trades to fill the shortage . they work , join union and make what everyone else makes . how you see this a business getting cheap labor is a stretch !!

i guess its a shot to the ego when someone that lived in a mud house and road a donkey to work comes here and makes as much and more than you do because he is a harder worker with better work ethic !!!!

This is getting old. Wonder why they don't improve conditions in their own country. Some come here and try to turn Canada into Canuckistan , take the benefits and bitch non stop about the the "dufuses" and how poorly they are treated.

JB_AOL
03-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by CaberTosser

Yea , your right , its people like you that want us all back to the days of slave labour , the imigrants are brought over here for one thing and one purpose only , and thats to have cheap labour for big business , scab labour to bust unions and more profits for big business , it lowers our quality of life as we know it , so yea keepum coming , and we,ll all soon be eatin off the ground like they do.

YES, they are brought here for "cheap labour".

Everyone here (just like the US) feels they are entitled to 6 figure jobs, even with no high school diploma. Yes, even those people that work at McD's, etc, why do you think unions are overtaking everything (unions have their place, just not in today's economy). So like any smart business person, you look for cheaper labor. Not only cheaper, but better labor. As an example. Here at my office building we have a security company 24-7, who is about 50/50 canadian/new immigrants. Guess who says hi to EVERYONE as they come in the door, guess who is actually at the front desk (instead of sleeping in the back room, (yes, they get really mad when wake them to ask for maintenance issues), guess who attempts to have a conversation with us. Guess who's not sitting on the smartphone updating facebook status'. I'll tell you one thing. It's not the "Canadians". AND you can bet your dollar, that the canadians are making more. I know who I'd hire.

darius
03-08-2012, 12:04 PM
This is getting old. Wonder why they don't improve conditions in their own country. Some come here and try to turn Canada into Canuckistan , take the benefits and bitch non stop about the the "dufuses" and how poorly they are treated.

oh jeesus !

this has nothing to do with there country , its about ours !

we are the ones with a labor shortage and they are fillling it !!

oh- and look at the loewer paying jobs ...

been to a tim horton with the useless white trash workin the store ..?

the tim horton by my pace is run / staffed by 'new canadians " and it is a model in how an efficeint busines is run .

I bet if you owned a business youd be singing a different tune mr. !!~

petew
03-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Lets bring in Temp foreign politicians. They are Qualified to squander, steal, lie, and take bribes & kickbacks even better than Canadian. They will work cheaper, complain less, and bow to the large companys as long as the money flows.

darius
03-08-2012, 12:08 PM
some of you need to be reminded that if not your grand parents , then for sure there parents were not born here .

our country was built , and still being built on imigration .!

Bigdad013
03-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Tough for school kids in town to score entry level jobs at the hotels and restaurants when all those positions are already filled by temporary workers and new Canadians. And yes they tend to hire there own as soon as they get in a position too. Was hoping my kid could save some money for his education by scoring one of these jobs that are "always available". But there's no room at the inn....looks like I'm paying for 100% of his educatio

Is that the only job your kid can do? I'm sure there are other employment jobs he/she could do

Redfrog
03-08-2012, 12:20 PM
some of you need to be reminded that if not your grand parents , then for sure there parents were not born here .

our country was built , and still being built on imigration .!

Different time, place and immigrants.

And you can knock off the 'white trash ' comments. Pretty convenient for you be indignant and outraged about Canada's immigration policies and the frustration many feel with them, but YOU are Always the first to make any argument into insults on color.
I'm done with you and your intolerant ignorant racist remarks.

Mhunter51
03-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Only problem is darius is that our grandparents wanted to build a NEW life and country, not REBUILD an old one -- OVER HERE !!!!!! Very little comunity involment and any excess monies sent " home ".

Rocky7
03-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Calgary airport is an interesting place...all the drivers are from? Janitors are all from? Strange how only one race or nation applies for a job?

We have two choices:

1. Continue to let in too many unskilled, uneducated immigrants from medieval countries to take decent, but not glorious, jobs that Canadian entry level workers don't want; OR

2. Reduce and cancel the endless "safety net" of welfare "programs" for a large segment of society that believes they are entitled to start at the top until the unemployment rate drops to 4% because they therefore become motivated to take such entry level, but not glorious, jobs.

My first job was running a jackhammer for just less than minimum wage (I was under 18). My second job was swabbing the floors as a night janitor (I was still under 18 but got lucky). I don't recall ever feeling resentful because I was owed more or because I had to break a sweat at those and other jobs.

Over many years, my education and experience improved.

I never thought I was entitled to start with a new vehicle, a flat screen TV or toys or union job conditions. I have all of those now, but I earned them. The Canadian taxpayer did not pay for any of it.

WTF happened?

JB_AOL
03-08-2012, 12:32 PM
rocky for PM...lol

HunterDave
03-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Help Wanted

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/business/oilsands+activity+heats+Alberta+employers+brace+so aring+costs/6259508/story.html

“Over the next 10 years we think that, apart from the Albertans and Canadians who will take on new jobs in the energy industry, we are probably looking to fill about 100,000 jobs that we won’t have enough people” for, says Alberta Premier Alison Redford, who was in Chicago last week to meet with business and labour groups.

rwm1273
03-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Lets bring in Temp foreign politicians. They are Qualified to squander, steal, lie, and take bribes & kickbacks even better than Canadian. They will work cheaper, complain less, and bow to the large companys as long as the money flows.

Most of the politicians I have seen in third world countries drive the biggest cars, live in the biggest house, and have enough money to send their kids to the best schools in France, USA, Canada, and the UK.

There is one local politician in Nigeria that just bought a palace in Austria for $2.2 million. I don't see too many of our politicians able to do that on their salary.

Third world countries are corrupt. Those who complain about it, end up missing, and that is why third world countries rarely change for the better.

Oh and the agencies that work in these third world countries are more screwed up than the corrupt governments they are trying to help.

Redfrog
03-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Most of the politicians I have seen in third world countries drive the biggest cars, live in the biggest house, and have enough money to send their kids to the best schools in France, USA, Canada, and the UK.

There is one local politician in Nigeria that just bought a palace in Austria for $2.2 million. I don't see too many of our politicians able to do that on their salary.

Third world countries are corrupt. Those who complain about it, end up missing, and that is why third world countries rarely change for the better.

Oh and the agencies that work in these third world countries are more screwed up than the corrupt governments they are trying to help.

Not quite the utopia some people try to make them out to be.:thinking-006:

Okotokian
03-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Not quite the utopia some people try to make them out to be.:thinking-006:
But thankfully, horrid third world conditions make for motivated mail-order brides, right Red? ;) :47b20s0: LOL

rwm1273
03-08-2012, 02:37 PM
My issue with immigration in Canada is how I was prevented from being able to sponsor my wife to live in Canada, because I was paying child support. MEP put a writ against me despite not being in arrears, and this prevented me from being eligible to sponsor my wife. Once I got custody of my kids, MEP refused to remove the writ, claiming in a letter they sent me that they would maintain the writ against me "in-case I ever need to pay child support in the future" They then wrote that they had no knowledge of the immigration laws, and therefore could not comment on the issue. It cost me many thousands more dollars to get back into court to finally get a judge to order MEP to close their file on me, and remove the writ.

I have very little love of Canada's court system. I served this country, only to be screwed by it. And it was not just me that got screwed, but my kids, and my wife. I am very angry that immigration would not look into my situation, and that once I was able to apply, that it still took so long to get documents for my wife to be able to stay in Canada.

And I don't like Somalis. (very long story) Too many are let in without being vetted. In fact one immigration lawyer we spoke with suggested my wife goes to Somalia, gets false birth certificate, and apply for immigration from there. It would have sped up the process drastically.

Redfrog
03-08-2012, 02:45 PM
But thankfully, horrid third world conditions make for motivated mail-order brides, right Red? ;) :47b20s0: LOL

And who told you I was a mail order bride??? Some people just don't kow when to dummy their squash.:thinking-006:

great white whaler
03-08-2012, 10:59 PM
Help Wanted

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/business/oilsands+activity+heats+Alberta+employers+brace+so aring+costs/6259508/story.html

“Over the next 10 years we think that, apart from the Albertans and Canadians who will take on new jobs in the energy industry, we are probably looking to fill about 100,000 jobs that we won’t have enough people” for, says Alberta Premier Alison Redford, who was in Chicago last week to meet with business and labour groups.

250,000 people immigrate to canada every year,I wonder were they spend there money ?

Jimboy
03-13-2012, 10:57 PM
250,000 people immigrate to canada every year,I wonder were they spend there money ?

They dont have to , we give them free money and health care.

Big Daddy Badger
03-13-2012, 11:02 PM

If it took longer....you might have been able to return him....lol:scared0018:

Arachnodisiac
03-13-2012, 11:06 PM
If it took longer....you might have been able to return him....lol:scared0018:

I know, right?

And in fact, that's almost precisely what I say.

"Didn't work, so I returned him."

It's just a bloody shame I can't get all my money back, too!

(Should have bought a toaster instead. NOT from Ikea.)

Big Daddy Badger
03-13-2012, 11:23 PM
I know, right?

Sorry no refunds on used or worn items...

I have mixed feelings about it.

First...some people crawl through mine fields to come here.
And that takes heart.

Most of my neighbours are immigrants...from all over.
They work hard..are friendly...their kids are polite and well behaved.
Had some problems with a guy poking round my place and damaging stuff.
I ended up taking him down and calling the cops.
It was a bit of a scene.
Every curtain on the street moved but guess who came out to see if I needed help.
Guess who called the cops just to make sure they showed up.

It wasn't my born and bred Canadian neighbors....it was the muslims down the road...the folks from central Africa across the way and the couple from China.

The only trouble we've had with neighbours has been with the fat lazy Canadians that let the TV and Nintendo raise their kids.

I do resent the imported labour sometimes though and birth tourism needs to be shut down.
That isn't a new issue by the way.
I remember feeling pretty po'd when it was learned that the same Somali war lords that were giving our guys a hard time... had managed to get their wives set up in Canada where they gave birth... applied for citizenship and started to export money to help finance hubby. When you consider that most had multiple wives...it was a pretty good haul.

great white whaler
03-14-2012, 12:52 AM
I know, right?

Now that there is funny.he he haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,start the car,,,start theeee carrr.

great white whaler
03-14-2012, 01:00 AM

I didn't no this **** was going on...is it really ?

eastcoast
03-14-2012, 01:01 AM

yeah 160 acres don't go as far as they used to.

:scared0018:

immigrant children arguing about how good the current crop of immigrants have it is a never ending argument.

great white whaler
03-14-2012, 01:07 AM

immigrant children arguing about how good the current crop of immigrants have it is a never ending argument.

Now that worries me...its not the people 'that comes this way,,, its the great house of goberment that plays with our minds ,that worries me..

Big Daddy Badger
03-14-2012, 03:30 AM
I didn't no this **** was going on...is it really ?

Well...its typically more of a grub stake for start up.
It's not like years and years of handouts... and not everyone gets funded.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/facts/index.asp

762Russian
03-14-2012, 04:07 AM

:happy0180:

rhuntley12
03-14-2012, 07:22 AM

Took almost a full year for my residency papers to get approved. It was such a nightmare and pain in the butt. I'm a skilled worker and came from the states. I had to file visitor extension every 3 months(Maybe 6 months) which had to prove I had money and a means of living here without a job.

I don't know why it seemed like a such a pain for me to get residency status here when others I work with seemed to have such an easy time coming from a poorer country.