PDA

View Full Version : Legislature Pays $261,000 for Committee That Doesn't Meet

Rocky7
03-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Just when you thought you'd heard it all....

EDMONTON — Alberta is spending hundreds of thousands of dollars for a quarter of its politicians to sit on a committee that never meets, the Canadian Taxpayers Federation reported Wednesday.

The federation, announcing its annual tongue-in-cheek Teddy Waste Awards for extravagant waste of taxpayers’ dollars, singled out Alberta’s standing committee on privileges and elections, standing orders and printing.

Each of the committee’s 21 members have been receiving $1,000 a month for work on the panel, even though it hasn’t met in over three years.

It’s the largest committee in the legislature and includes representatives from the governing Progressive Conservatives, all four opposition parties and even independent Lloyd Snelgrove.

Committee chairman Ray Prins, a Tory backbencher, makes $18,000 a year for his added responsibilities. He defended the committee.

“We’re always on standby to meet at a moment’s notice,” he said.

The committee meets when the legislature asks it to review an issue. The meetings that were held in 2008 lasted under 15 minutes.

“What were you meeting for?” a reporter asked him.

“Those were probably meetings I wasn’t at because I don’t remember,” Prins replied...........

Read more: http://www.reddeeradvocate.com/news/provincial/Alberta_legislature_pays_261000_a_year_for_committ ee_that_doesnt_meet_141781353.html

Twisted Canuck
03-07-2012, 10:03 PM
Seems like a real bargain........I will probably sleep much better knowing these public servants are on call year round to meet in case something or another comes up. Well worth the hundreds of thousands spent so that we can all feel a bit more secure. Or something. :rolleye2:

leeaspell
03-07-2012, 10:03 PM
I knew I should have listened to my grandma when she told me to be a politician. She said its the only job where the more full of it you are the more you make for knowing nothing.

I love the part about I don't know I wasn't there. Lol.

Rocky7
03-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Should'a saved all the money I put into buying lottery tickets and put it into an election campaign instead. Winning an election has become a licence to print money for yourself and your friends. You don't even have to pretend to work anymore.

I guess you could point out that the 2 Wild Rose MLA's swilling at this trough are PC defectors, but they bring the stink to a party that offered more. Liberal and NDP MLA's are on the gravy train, too, btw.

Pretty disgusted.....I had hoped for better from the WRA.

mudbug
03-07-2012, 10:54 PM
I think on the Journal website they say $870,000.00 have already been paid out to the MLA's that haven't had one meeting yet :thinking-006: actually they haven't had a meeting since 2008, my oops on my earlier comment

Rocky7
03-07-2012, 10:56 PM
No kidding. The stink gets worse.

Can you post a link to that story for the lazy like me? :)

ps: I donate to a few things; the CTF is one of them. It's money very well spent, IMO.

mudbug
03-07-2012, 11:01 PM
No kidding. The stink gets worse.

Can you post a link to that story for the lazy like me? :)

ps: I donate to a few things; the CTF is one of them. It's money very well spent, IMO.

Here's the link, apparently they haven't had a meeting since 2008
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/rising+Alberta+legislature+committee+that+hasn+sin ce+2008/6267563/story.html

bobalong
03-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Should charge the useless POS's with theft, it just never ceases to amaze me how low politicians character can go.

Sooner
03-07-2012, 11:12 PM
I saw this on the news as well. Looks like quite a mix of all parties lined up for the free meal. The best is the I dont know's and the woman MLA who kept saying no comment. Caught red handed. What a joke. I guess the opposition parties cant say anything as they were feeding too.

Rocky7
03-07-2012, 11:54 PM
How come this crap isn't white collar crime? Is there some exemption from the law of the land when you hold a high public office? Does theft become something else when you steal public tax money? Where is that written...

Seriously.

I knew there was a reason I had a particular dislike for that POS Snelgrove.:mad0100:

Yeah, it looks like every party is on the take. Makes me wonder whether a revolution every so often is a healthy thing.

Our elected government should only be allowed to meet every second year for 90 days. Like Montana.

Kim473
03-08-2012, 05:33 AM
Make them pay the money back. I like the comment that one made, " I don't look at my pay check" LOL. Fire all of them on that commitee.

LeonH
03-08-2012, 06:39 AM
This is a theft but since it is in a name of the government, I guess it must be OK.

What a joke.

pophouseman
03-08-2012, 07:43 AM
couldn't we put that money towards edmonton's new arena...............

:sHa_shakeshout:

Big Daddy Badger
03-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Time to start voting with our heads instead of by habit.
Yes...the committee has members from all parties on it but there's nothing like the death of a dynasty to refocus those elected and remind them that they are supposed to working for us.
Freaking guys seem to be treating voters more and more like a bunch of peasants...

LeonH
03-08-2012, 08:32 AM
couldn't we put that money towards edmonton's new arena...............

:sHa_shakeshout:

It would have been a better alternative as you would actually see where the money went, but this money is already gone and we will never see it back.

Remember those names during election time. They should all be fired regardless of the party they represent.

super7mag
03-08-2012, 08:38 AM
Oh Rocky, your not going to like it then that he showed up last Monday at the wra supper in Lloyd minster to throw his support behind the "alleged crook" Danny HoseSack of snit.

Rocky7
03-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Too many PC defectors have already jumped to the WR. I wish they hadn't. SOSOS.

Gust
03-08-2012, 12:25 PM
nice work if you can get it,,,

and if you get it?

won't
you
tell
me
how!

great song