PDA

View Full Version : I put an ad on kijiji looking for a place to hunt coyotes, need some.help answering this reply.

leeaspell
03-07-2012, 10:14 PM
So as title says, I tossed an ad on kijiji asking if anyone was having problems with coyotes and other predators on there land. Figured maybe some farmer might want to let me shoot some coyotes or wolves on there land. I didn't offer to do it for money and i didn't offer money to hunt on the land. I was very limited on details as I figured I would offer that info in email to who ever replied. Anyway, here is a response I got tonight.

Hello,

My name is Michelle xxxxxxx and I'm a freelance journalist currently doing some work for the Whitecourt Press. I'm interested in learning more about your services. Is there a number where you could be reached at.
Thanks, Michelle

What should I do.

Lefty-Canuck
03-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Give her the service she is looking for.... :)

LC :)

lone wolf
03-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Was the ad for coyotes .............. or cougars :sHa_shakeshout:

HunterRed
03-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Ask her what she wants to learn. Maybe you get a hunting partner.

leeaspell
03-07-2012, 10:19 PM
I'm just wondering if.I go ahead if.it will end up as some anti hunter, cute cuddley coyote killer article in the paper lol

BANG
03-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Sounds like a good opportunity to get some free advertising for your newly founded predator control company;)

wwbirds
03-07-2012, 10:22 PM
The journalist could slant the story as she wants to see it or very realistically and unbiased. I have been interviewed by journalist who took a routine meeting at city council and turned it into a controversial inaccurate story.
She could be completely unbiased and do a great job representing the facts.
You could come off as the troll who lives under the bridge and kills bambi (wile coyote)
What controls do you have in place that can correct anything she says is a quote from you??
Written questions and answers eliminates the risk but you can wing it over phone if you feel lucky.

leeaspell
03-07-2012, 10:22 PM
If this turns into a buisness I may need some employees. Pro bono of course and you must supply own equipment. Plus ammo for the boss lol

leeaspell
03-07-2012, 10:24 PM
The journalist could slant the story as she wants to see it or very realistically and unbiased. I have been interviewed by journalist who took a routine meeting at city council and turned it into a controversial inaccurate story.
You could come off as the troll who lives under the bridge and kills bambi (wile coyote)
What controls do you have in place that can correct anything she says is a quote from you??
Written questions and answers eliminates the risk but you can wing it over phone if you feel lucky.

This my concern. I have no idea who this gal is or what side of the fence she is on.

CaberTosser
03-07-2012, 10:25 PM
If she's working for a rural paper such as the Whitecourt Press she's less likely to be rabidly lefty. Those reporters have to cover all kinds of farming, forestry and ranching issues so they tend to be more sensible/down to earth ( not a guarantee though) Perhaps contact Arachnidisiac; she's a journalist working for some smaller publication that I don't believe she's previously named. Heck, maybe that is Arachnodisiac?

Google her name and see what her other articles seem themed like.

just_dave
03-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Have you done a search on Michelle xxxxxx? Look for some of her articles.

CT just ninja'd me with an edit.

leeaspell
03-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Just looked over her stuff from the paper. Maybe 10 articles, nothing really of interest. A motocross article was about the only thing relayed to outdoors.

I guess if she is already on the web I can post this. Herr are her stories

http://www.whitecourtpress.com/category/columns/michelle-thompson/

Popcan
03-07-2012, 10:38 PM
Do yourself a favour & pass on that. Don't worry, she'll find something else to write about.

Twisted Canuck
03-07-2012, 10:42 PM
First off, is she hot?............:scared0018:

leeaspell
03-07-2012, 10:42 PM
No idea lol

a little redneck
03-07-2012, 10:43 PM
So as title says, I tossed an ad on kijiji asking if anyone was having problems with coyotes and other predators on there land. Figured maybe some farmer might want to let me shoot some coyotes or wolves on there land. I didn't offer to do it for money and i didn't offer money to hunt on the land. I was very limited on details as I figured I would offer that info in email to who ever replied. Anyway, here is a response I got tonight.

Hello,

My name is Michelle xxxxxxx and I'm a freelance journalist currently doing some work for the Whitecourt Press. I'm interested in learning more about your services. Is there a number where you could be reached at.
Thanks, Michelle

What should I do.

Whatever you do, if you agree, you could get more attention than you'd like and once you're in the paper you're out there forever.

If the article is good you may get all the critter control you want.

Redfrog
03-07-2012, 10:54 PM
This is how they got rid of hound hunting for coyotes.

leeaspell
03-07-2012, 10:56 PM
This is how they got rid of hound hunting for coyotes.

From a kijiji ad?

CaberTosser
03-07-2012, 10:57 PM
Michelle XXXXXXX :thinking-006: I'm wondering how a woman gets four more X's than a comparatively mundane Michelle XXX? I'm just going to assume there's a woman by that name somewhere on the internet........

rugatika
03-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Google her. She's from Ryerson. Journalism. Playing the odds I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess she's a lefty looking to stir the pot. Very little good can come from it. If it were me...I'd politely pass.

http://www.writekindagal.com/

krthegunslinger
03-07-2012, 11:04 PM
That is a tough one, on one hand you may get enough publicity to start a predator hunting career (MY DREAM) Or it could blow right out of proportion with all kinds of publicity both bad and good.?? Tough Call.

leeaspell
03-07-2012, 11:09 PM
What are my options if she twists everything I say around? It's all in how she uses what i say right.

Like if i said " there are lots of coyote hunters in Alberta"

And she turns in in to " the.slaughtering of coyotes runs.rampant in Alberta as expressed by...."

just_dave
03-07-2012, 11:13 PM
Reading about her just now, I'd be like, umm... no.

leeaspell
03-07-2012, 11:19 PM
After reading up on her a little more. If this is the same person. My question is, why would she leave being an editor for the Edmonton sun to working for the.whitecourt press. The press isn't even the main local paper. I only seen it for the first time about 2 months ago.

Redfrog
03-07-2012, 11:21 PM
Not from Kijiji.

A hound guy unknowingly took out an anti who wanted to "learn about coyote hunting". It took no time at all after the story hit the media. Dogs were not allowed for coyote hunting after that. Of course the hunter didn't know it ws an anti at the time.

darius
03-07-2012, 11:24 PM
What are my options if she twists everything I say around? It's all in how she uses what i say right.

And she turns in in to " the.slaughtering of coyotes runs.rampant in Alberta as expressed by...."

reading your questions you should not take this gal coyote hunting .! :)

ishootbambi
03-07-2012, 11:26 PM

absolutely the truth!!! i had a journalist take my words and twist them ever so slightly for sensationalism. thats what sells papers.

."

very little you can really do. i tried writing a letter to the paper explaining the way things really went, but that was too mundane for print. mundane does not sell papers, so it was scrapped.

if you choose to do this, record things yourself and let her know it. if something isnt reported in the right light you can make a bunch of noise to refute.......or just pass on the potential headache. depends what kind of time you have on your hands.

leeaspell
03-07-2012, 11:29 PM
If i did do it I was planning on recording it on my phone. And I have lots of time if it will benfit, if not I'm to busy. I will ask her straight out, will this be used as an anti hunting article. I expect her to say no, whether she is lying or not who knows. I will try to feel her out before i do anything on the record.

Arachnodisiac
03-07-2012, 11:29 PM
Tell her to contact me.

Say I am your press agent.

:D

That would scare her off, or keep her honest.

As for myself, I work for a provincial newspaper, agriculture-focused, 50,000 circ.

That's why I have the option of working from home, since I theoretically cover the entire province, and also why I was given the choice of where to relocate to.

darius
03-07-2012, 11:31 PM
and to ad to this most journalists now a days seem to editorialise things , trying to make a name for themselves . she already knows how she wants to represent you in the story . take note of the word 'story "

dont be the gunea pig for this !

leeaspell
03-07-2012, 11:31 PM
Look ay me go. I got a predator control company and a press agent lol

rugatika
03-07-2012, 11:33 PM
I think you're just opening yourself up to a whole bunch of bad press and headaches galore. Definitely not worth it. I'm not saying she is for sure a lefty...but the left are notorious for telling all sorts of lies as long as the means justify the ends so to speak. Just the fact that she graduated in journalism, and from Ryerson no less....speaks volumes about her political leanings.

I think you'd be better off poking a bear with a stick.

a little redneck
03-07-2012, 11:34 PM
I'd never post anything about hunting on facebook or put up a hunting picture there. Most people on here like hunting... probably some lurkers and others out there that would love to take the rights of hunters away.

Good luck getting the rights back once they are gone... so I'd say nay on the interview.

Arachnodisiac
03-07-2012, 11:36 PM
If i did do it I was planning on recording it on my phone. And I have lots of time if it will benfit, if not I'm to busy. I will ask her straight out, will this be used as an anti hunting article. I expect her to say no, whether she is lying or not who knows. I will try to feel her out before i do anything on the record.

As your press agent, I must advise you against believing in such a state as "off-the-record". I honour that when I conduct interviews, but not all do. Assume everything is on the record, all the time. Recording it is a good idea. Ask her if she is recording it – she should be. If she's not, decline the interview. If she is, thank her, and inform her you are recording it as well.

Use words like "conserve, sustainable, management, responsible, harmonious, balance."
Emphasize how hunters work with SRD to encourage healthy populations and wildlife diversity and how pressure from any one very successful species can harm those at risk.
You can use the example of the largely failed swift fox reintroduction. That failure is largely attributed to coyote populations. The only swift fox surviving in this province from that reintroduction are in Cypress County, south of the hills. (I believe only south of the hills, but perhaps there are a couple north of the hills, I am not certain).

And don't listen to Rugatika's paranoia... unless she is researching for an op-ed, the article shouldn't have any slant. There is plenty of balanced coverage in the rural areas, and even in the cities – at least in Alberta.

If she does a good job, she will talk to a conservation group, or address some opposing viewpoints. That is called balance...

I would also mention how many MDs struggle with predation, and that hunting is much better for the environment than poison baiting, for instance. And, you can reference the rising monies spent on compensating agricultural producers for livestock predation. More is being spent each year on this, and she can certainly get the numbers to back that up. Predation compensation, by the way, is funded by hunters through licence purchases.

leeaspell
03-07-2012, 11:39 PM
As your press agent, I must advise you against believing in such a state as "off-the-record". I honour that when I conduct interviews, but not all do. Assume everything is on the record, all the time. Recording it is a good idea. Ask her if she is recording it – she should be. If she's not, decline the interview. If she is, thank her, and inform her you are recording it as well.

Use words like "conserve, sustainable, management, responsible, harmonious, balance."
Emphasize how hunters work with SRD to encourage healthy populations and wildlife diversity and how pressure from any one very successful species can harm those at risk.
You can use the example of the largely failed swift fox reintroduction. That failure is largely attributed to coyote populations. The only swift fox surviving in this province from that reintroduction are in Cypress County, south of the hills. (I believe only south of the hills, but perhaps there are a couple north of the hills, I am not certain).

Your not coming to whitecourt any time soon are ya lol.

Arachnodisiac
03-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Your not coming to whitecourt any time soon are ya lol.

I don't even know where Whitecourt is... that's how new I am here. ;)

leeaspell
03-07-2012, 11:45 PM
Head to Edmonton, then go another 2 hours north west lol . Keep heading northwest on 43 until.you see the hazr from the mill lol

Arachnodisiac
03-07-2012, 11:47 PM
Head to Edmonton, then go another 2 hours north west lol . Keep heading northwest on 43 until.you see the hazr from the mill lol

I'm afraid the closest I'm going to get is Red Deer later this month.

You'll be fine, I'm sure. It won't turn out exactly as you wish, because she is writing a news article, not a television commercial, but I honestly can't imagine that there would be an agenda against coyotes of all critters.

Talk to her and feel her out and perhaps the most important question will be how she found the ad.

leeaspell
03-07-2012, 11:49 PM
Good question. How did she find it. It's back on like page 8. I think ill meet her and feel it out and go from there.

Arachnodisiac
03-07-2012, 11:58 PM
Yes, do find that out for me, ask her by email before you speak with her.

She will not want to meet... well, probably not. Usually, we're in a rush to get things done by deadline, and most interviews are conducted over the phone.

If you decide to do it, suggest having a three-way call with a conservation officer on the line as well. That will give you an air of being official and most likely prevent any agendas or bias from coming forward in the unlikely event there are any.

Talk to the sheep federation in this province too - they will have stats regarding coyote predation. It wouldn't hurt either to mention how Saskatchewan had a province-wide bounty on coyotes in the 2009-2010 season. A quick refresher on the number of coyote attacks on people isn't a bad idea.

If you decide to do the interview, write down bullet points of the most important topics you want to cover.

leeaspell
03-08-2012, 12:06 AM
Good idea on the co. I'll make some.visits in the am. And what's the difference in netting in person for an interview vs on the phone. You can get anywhere.in wct within 5 minutes. That's from one end of town to another. The paper only comes out once a week so I'm sure time won't be an issue lol.

Arachnodisiac
03-08-2012, 12:12 AM
Good idea on the co. I'll make some.visits in the am. And what's the difference in netting in person for an interview vs on the phone. You can get anywhere.in wct within 5 minutes. That's from one end of town to another. The paper only comes out once a week so I'm sure time won't be an issue lol.

Small papers often run their staff ragged in comparison to the dailies, 60-70 hours a week is common.

Flesh interviews tend to take at least two-three times longer than a phoner, and they involve having to be more social which I hate, but who knows, maybe others are different. I prefer the phone because people also aren't as nervous. When they see a recorder on the table, they tend speak less freely, and less precisely.

If I interview someone in person, it's because I also need the photo op, I happen to have a passion for the topic, it's an investigative report and I want as much detail and depth as possible, I suspect the person is lying and therefore body language becomes very important OR I have an interest in the interviewee. ;)

finsnfeathers
03-08-2012, 12:14 AM
I think you'd be better off poking a bear with a stick.

Is there a video of this, cuz i just can't visualize such with a "happily ever after" ending.....? Pffffttttt......!

Whipper Billy
03-08-2012, 01:17 AM
This was on her site that was posted earlier:

I'm a Jill of all trades and am starting up a freelance writing company. I write business reports, newsletters, resumes, cover letters, and more. I can edit your school assignments, websites, and anything else you may need help with. I can help promote your company through social multimedia and multimedia too.

My prices are reasonable and below the standard industry rate. And I'm happy to work with you to stay within budget.

She may just want to sell her promotion services.

leeaspell
03-08-2012, 01:23 AM
I never read that on my searches. So is that good or bad?

Ruger1022
03-08-2012, 01:35 AM
I never read that on my searches. So is that good or bad?

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/image.php?u=17514&dateline=1294979342

Tread carefully my friend :thinking-006:

Whipper Billy
03-08-2012, 01:39 AM
If she is just offering you her promotion services and as you don't have a coyote business, it could be a short conversation. Although once turned down and as she's freelancing & looking for work, she might consider turning it into an article.

AMisler
03-08-2012, 05:21 AM
I had a similar add on kijiji once, only got one response from a young women. She was really not impressed by the fact that I offered to shoot gophers, coyotes and even cougars. Something along the lines of your sick, I should put you in a forest with all these animals..blah blah, I hug trees.

If I were you, id pass on the opportunity.

And also, if I were you, I would steer away from an add like that on kijiji. You'd have better results finding a farmers field out of city limits and knocking on a door or two.

Lornce
03-08-2012, 07:02 AM
This my concern. I have no idea who this gal is or what side of the fence she is on.

Ask her

Fisherpeak
03-08-2012, 07:39 AM
First and foremost I would need to see a photo of her before I would invest any time in this.

Grizzly Adams
03-08-2012, 07:46 AM
If she's working for a rural paper such as the Whitecourt Press she's less likely to be rabidly lefty. Those reporters have to cover all kinds of farming, forestry and ranching issues so they tend to be more sensible/down to earth ( not a guarantee though) Perhaps contact Arachnidisiac; she's a journalist working for some smaller publication that I don't believe she's previously named. Heck, maybe that is Arachnodisiac?

Google her name and see what her other articles seem themed like.

Says she's a Freelancer, which means she's not employed by the paper, just sends them stuff she hopes they'll publish. Doesn't matter what she writes, you'll become famous, probably get some nasty calls, death threats, that kind of thing. :D. I'd ignore her.

Grizz

Big Daddy Badger
03-08-2012, 07:51 AM
Sounds like she wants to go hunting... guess what the target species will be.
Hmmmm
Main stream media...the easiest thing to do is pander to the masses of special interest groups that are anti. Even if that isn't her intent... no doubt someone from that camp will find a way of turning it into a trail of tears and regret.

I quit trusting almost anyone in the media when I saw first hand how neatly they cut and pasted answers to questions during a live interview of a friend for a later broadcast. By the time they were done he appeared to be saying exactly the opposite to what he had really said.

colin455
03-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Sorry. I'd take a Pass. Sounds like that little voice in your head is telling you that It's very likely to be a bad idea and you are trying to convince it that it could be good.
Ususlly the little voice (subconscious) is right. It registers nuances that the conscious brain misses. The decision is up to you; however the damage a slanted-misquoted article can do for you far outweighs the good that can come from it.
Just look at retractions they are FORCED to print. Page 30, under a used car sales ad, just before an article about missionary work in the third world.

Bound2Fish
03-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Just sounds like too much work to me. I say just go out on your own and bag some coyotes like you originally wanted to.

Yéil
03-08-2012, 09:00 AM
If you do go ahead with this interview make sure you can cite the regs by chapter and verse on how everything you are doing is legal. That may prevent any misunderstanding of a non-hunter type trying to interpret the regs themselves.

Redfrog
03-08-2012, 10:11 AM
This is kind of a no brainer. Go for it.
If you don't, we've run out of stuff to talk about. If you do we should get another 5 or 6 pages from this.:)

Okotokian
03-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Don't even bother answering. The chances you are going to be set up and look bad are 99.99%. In any event, how can cooperating help YOU? It can't.

You did call the newspaper to check she actually works there, right?

Arachnodisiac
03-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Don't even bother answering. The chances you are going to be set up and look bad are 99.99%. In any event, how can cooperating help YOU? It can't.

You did call the newspaper to check she actually works there, right?

Took your paranoid pill again, hey?

Okotokian
03-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Took your paranoid pill again, hey?

LOL Not paranoid, suspicious. ;) All I'm saying is, what's the upside for him?

And yes, check people's stories.

Fisherpeak
03-08-2012, 11:15 AM
LOL Not paranoid, suspicious. ;) All I'm saying is, what's the upside for him?

And yes, check people's stories.

Maybe she`s smokin` hot and he wins her over and rides off into the sunset with a babe and 4 dead yotes.Maybe.

Okotokian
03-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Maybe she`s smokin` hot and he wins her over and rides off into the sunset with a babe and 4 dead yotes.Maybe.
Yeah, that could happen. ;)

Those smokin' hot rural journalists..... :scared0018: LOL

Sneeze
03-08-2012, 01:53 PM
I am not sure what the debate is about.

You have absolutely nothing to gain by speaking with her. There is only downside risk... nothing on the upside to justify exposing yourself to the risk.

Tell her to pound salt and go coyote hunting.

Arachnodisiac
03-08-2012, 05:39 PM

You betcha! :)

donabb
03-08-2012, 06:21 PM
I would do it if she agreed to let you have final say before it went to print. If it was a positive article she would agree to this... if not forget it,
it's a set up.

Arachnodisiac
03-08-2012, 06:22 PM
No, not true at all.

No journalist allows their work to be previewed before it is printed...

no journalist worth her salt, anyway.

justsomeguy
03-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Have to agree with the majority here...run away as fast as you can.

A couple points:

Ryerson.......about as left leaning as you can get, particularly journalism.

Freelance: translation....I want to write a really controversial article on hunting while the fire is hot on the LRG, maybe get it published in the Globe and Mail. Who cares if it ticks off a few redneck hicks in this hellhole of Whitecourt as long as it gets me some street cred back in the big smoke.

Run, fast, and never look back.

wildcat111
03-08-2012, 07:40 PM
whats the chance that she may have a coyote problem , and wants more info.

pikeslayer22
03-08-2012, 07:49 PM
You can still hunt coyotes with hounds..just have to get a permit from F&W..usually on land owned but also where problem yotes exist...

deanmc
03-08-2012, 08:07 PM
She likely did not see your ad. Someone probably put her on to it.

I would talk to her. I doubt she will be out to get you. If she is out to make you look bad she can do it without your help anyway.

And it would give me a reason to waste a dollar on that paper. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Jimboy
03-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Might be one of a group of anti hunting nuts , once they get your address you may be in for a night time surprise and find your garage on fire .
l would either ignore her , or ask to meet her at her place , but never give out your address , not yet anyway , till you feel her out.
lf she wants to learn about coyotes , all she has to do is google it , l,d be cautious.

Big Daddy Badger
03-08-2012, 10:36 PM
This is kind of a no brainer. Go for it.
If you don't, we've run out of stuff to talk about. If you do we should get another 5 or 6 pages from this.:)

RF has a point there.

Yup...throw yourself on that sword dude... you'll be an AO legend in no time.

Oh...it might help if you are driving a "Black Duelly" when you meet her.

marlin1
03-09-2012, 09:38 AM

you've seen arachno's avatar right ?

Okotokian
03-09-2012, 10:51 AM
you've seen arachno's avatar right ?

Yes. Please expand on your thoughts. :party0052:

marlin1
03-09-2012, 10:55 AM
:scared0018:

TBark
03-09-2012, 11:35 AM
At least make contact and see what the deal is.
Maybe it will be over a Timmys in Whitecourt.
But be careful driving in that town.
Radar at the north and south ends of that town almost continually.
Ya, I've been burnt a few times, Welcome to Whitecourt.

TBark.

tommyguitar
03-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Arachnodisiac looks good to me!
:)

marlin1
03-09-2012, 12:06 PM
Arachnodisiac looks good to me!
:)

X2

Okotokian
03-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Friday.... school's obviously out early. :acigar:LOL

Salavee
03-09-2012, 02:45 PM
.I don't think you should be intimidated. What you offer is a valuable service that will be of interest to many of the local cattlemen.
I ran ads in some regional papers for the same service for many years. .. (Coyotes & Crow)s. On only two occassions was there a negative letter to the editor and one cranky 'phone call to me that was quite entertaining. You have nothing to be ashamed of. Why worry about what a journalis may, or may not do ? Give her a call --or put an ad in her paper.

Dacotensis
03-09-2012, 04:48 PM
I would pass on it.
First, did you post your phone # or just ask for Email contact.
If you posted your # and the contact was by email, that would be my first sign that somethings up.
2nd, I have given more than afew interviews for various media-mediums. Print is the worst. It seems a reporter just has a difficult time reporting the truth or the full story. Even upon pointing out and giving them the chance to fix their poor reporting, I have had one lady really screw that up as well.
With radio or Tv, sound bites can be edited to the point that the full point of your interview sounds like a snafu.
Unless you want 15 minutes of fame, I would pass. I would prefer to be non-existent

heronfish
03-09-2012, 06:06 PM
As someone who used to work at a weekly paper, most of the paranoia going on here is complete BS. If she's doing a story - not an opinion - what will likely happen is she will interview you and likely a greenie that hates hunting. Two opinions, two sides - simple. The only way to build a decent story is to find a conflict, the conflict being that coyotes are overpopulated and killing things vs. those who sing kumbaja.

Remember a few things:
Nothing is off the record. It may not be quoted directly, but it's taken as information.
Think before you speak. If you say something like "mangy calf-killing buggers" that's the headline
Shell have the story written in her head before she talks to you, you're just a vehicle for quotes
It won't be written as you wish

Knowing all that it's your call.

leeaspell
03-09-2012, 08:40 PM
So i emailed her back last night and politely stated that if her intentions are to write a anti hunter gun bashing article than I will not be part of that. If it is in relation to the high number of wolves and coyotes i. The area and the struggles faced my farmers and such and how populations need to be managed than i would be happy to participate.

It's pushing 24 hours and still no reply back from her. I'll keep posted if I hear back.

bb356
03-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Thank's for the update !!!

Dog_River
03-17-2012, 05:33 PM
I would ask her for some previous published articels and some references...................or never return the message, smells fishy.

Dog_River