PDA

View Full Version : Big horn Ram question

winger7mm
03-08-2012, 04:49 PM
So I have a question about sheep movements and growth. We seen a herd of sheep a few times in this one valley, there were two nice rams. One was to close to call for a stalk and the other was close enough to tell he was not legal. We are in the 400's so its a full curl ram we need. So what are the chances the same herd of sheep will be there next season, what are the chances they will be in the same valley at generally the same time of year. Will those rams be legal??

Pudelpointer
03-08-2012, 04:56 PM
FYI there are very few Full Curl zones in the "400s" LOL.

If the one ram was a squeaker, then chances are he will be full curl this year. Then again, he may broom a bit and never get there.

Sheep are creatures of habit and will often return to the same slopes at the same time each year. However, you don't know why you found them where they were; did they get pushed into the area because of hunting pressure elsewhere? Wolves? Cougars? Also, the seasons were a little whacky last year. If you saw them there a couple times over a few weeks to months, chances are that is where you will find them this season.

winger7mm
03-08-2012, 05:07 PM

If the one ram was a squeaker, then chances are he will be full curl this year. Then again, he may broom a bit and never get there.

Sheep are creatures of habit and will often return to the same slopes at the same time each year. However, you don't know why you found them where they were; did they get pushed into the area because of hunting pressure elsewhere? Wolves? Cougars? Also, the seasons were a little whacky last year. If you saw them there a couple times over a few weeks to months, chances are that is where you will find them this season.

Well I dont know why I seen them where I did. But I also seen my first goat about 200yrds to the right and above the sheep :) (about 900yrds away) and to top it all off while we had lunch we heard a few rocks fall from behind us and boom 2 more goats only like 170yrds from us. No elk but it was still a great day!!!

winger7mm
03-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Im just debating whether or not to pick up a sheep tag this year, knowing that I wont be in the 400's come middle of october. I know buy one anyways, But im leary towards that as I have only hunted the mountains this season and well I only have 3 spots that are and will make nice hunts. So its hard to decide whether I start a wild goose chase or go to areas I know

gunslinger
03-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Im just debating whether or not to pick up a sheep tag this year, knowing that I wont be in the 400's come middle of october. I know buy one anyways, But im leary towards that as I have only hunted the mountains this season and well I only have 3 spots that are and will make nice hunts. So its hard to decide whether I start a wild goose chase or go to areas I know

Lol you seen a very close ram along with goats in the area you know, You are extremely lucky man, i chased sheep for 4 years without even seeing one. Deffintly without a doubt get back to that spot where the animals are sit there all day every day till rams show. Slowly walk around at a snails pace and learn the area, the hideouts, the glassing spots, the travel trails and i guarantee that you will be holding a ram in your hands eventually. When your 100% sure you either wont have a legal ram there or the sheep are not there then move on, But i would hang tough in your honey hole

Speckle55
03-08-2012, 05:23 PM

Agree:)

winger7mm
03-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Lol you seen a very close ram along with goats in the area you know, You are extremely lucky man, i chased sheep for 4 years without even seeing one. Deffintly without a doubt get back to that spot where the animals are sit there all day every day till rams show. Slowly walk around at a snails pace and learn the area, the hideouts, the glassing spots, the travel trails and i guarantee that you will be holding a ram in your hands eventually. When your 100% sure you either wont have a legal ram there or the sheep are not there then move on, But i would hang tough in your honey hole

I know I was happy about the goats, waited all my life to see them, and the sheep waited all my life to see them in the wild (jasper doesnt count) there are a few crevasses out there. The lone goat went into it and stayed for the afternoon. The sheep just grazed and grazed and grazed, we watched them for about an 1 1/2. To top it all off the valley over the ridge is where I had my closest encounter with a HUGE 6X6 bull elk (under 30yrds, and a cow kept busting me at 5yrds), but could not get a clear shot at the bull. If Sneeze reads this thread, thanks buddy for taking me out there :D and I cant wait till next season to go stalking around out there with you again, besides I will need help packing my elk out ;)

bdub
03-08-2012, 06:46 PM
If you want a good start at learning about what sheep do and why try reading Mountain Sheep, A Study in Behaviour and Evolution by Valerious Geist. Another thing I would recommend is keeping your spots to yourself if you want a crack at that ram again. I wouldn't be posting any hints on locations no matter how vauge you might think they are. Good Luck

winger7mm
03-08-2012, 08:18 PM
If you want a good start at learning about what sheep do and why try reading Mountain Sheep, A Study in Behaviour and Evolution by Valerious Geist. Another thing I would recommend is keeping your spots to yourself if you want a crack at that ram again. I wouldn't be posting any hints on locations no matter how vauge you might think they are. Good Luck

hahaha yup. There are 2 people on this planet that I know know the valleys, me and sneeze. So either me or him get a ram that will be great :D

ishootbambi
03-08-2012, 08:33 PM
hahaha yup. There are 2 people on this planet that I know know the valleys, me and sneeze. So either me or him get a ram that will be great :D

lol....there are no secrets in alberta. no matter how remote you think it is, someone else has been there looking for sheep. there just isnt very much habitat in alberta.

winger7mm
03-08-2012, 08:37 PM
lol....there are no secrets in alberta. no matter how remote you think it is, someone else has been there looking for sheep. there just isnt very much habitat in alberta.

I dont think to many people look for sheep here, I would suspect more people looking for elk ;)

jrs
03-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Definetly no secret valleys or sheep in that zone. Hate to be negative as well but the sheep in there winter on some easy access range and you'll find most of the rams disappear in December during the rut. Post season harvest seems to be significant last year too. It appears as though I couple I was watching "vanished" over the holidays. Access is just too easy.

ishootbambi
03-08-2012, 08:43 PM
^^^ didnt think i was being negative....just honest. the strip of mountains in alberta is pretty thin....more so in the south. there isnt a mountain or valley that doesnt get looked at by hunters. to think otherwise is a little naive.

jrs
03-08-2012, 08:49 PM
^^^ didnt think i was being negative....just honest. the strip of mountains in alberta is pretty thin....more so in the south. there isnt a mountain or valley that doesnt get looked at by hunters. to think otherwise is a little naive.

No, I was being negative though. Tough to accept what happens post season in that thin strip. So many sheep that don't get to really grow up.

ishootbambi
03-08-2012, 08:53 PM
No, I was being negative though. Tough to accept what happens post season in that thin strip. So many sheep that don't get to really grow up.

completely agree. subsistence my hairy arse!

walking buffalo
03-08-2012, 09:00 PM
I dont think to many people look for sheep here, I would suspect more people looking for elk ;)

Cliff, goats, elk, full curl zone....

You narrowed the possible locations down significantly.

Let's not forget your previous posts on elk hunting....

All good advice so far, well worth heeding....

Next year could be a dissapointment for sheep hunters in 400/402. The post Licenced hunting season sheep harvest has been very significant.

winger7mm
03-09-2012, 07:17 AM
Cliff, goats, elk, full curl zone....

You narrowed the possible locations down significantly.

Let's not forget your previous posts on elk hunting....

All good advice so far, well worth heeding....

Next year could be a dissapointment for sheep hunters in 400/402. The post Licenced hunting season sheep harvest has been very significant.

So what do you mean when you say post licensed hunting?? And the continental divide streches pretty far ;)

honda450
03-09-2012, 07:27 AM
So what do you mean when you say post licensed hunting?? And the continental divide streches pretty far ;)

Think he means killin when legal huntin for me and you is over. Get the drift?

winger7mm
03-09-2012, 07:33 AM
Think he means killin when legal huntin for me and you is over. Get the drift?

hmmm, probably the same thing when i seen 7 elk get shot while wolf hunting??

winger7mm
03-09-2012, 07:37 AM
While camping in 402 for my elk and sheep hunt next season, im wondering would it be worth it to bring the flyrod out there too??

flyguyd
03-09-2012, 07:58 AM
While camping in 402 for my elk and sheep hunt next season, im wondering would it be worth it to bring the flyrod out there too??

Most certainly:bad_boys_20:

flyguyd
03-09-2012, 08:01 AM

You need to remember there are only so many places in 400 that have goats:)

Old Hunter
03-09-2012, 08:02 AM

Never thought of snaring elk or sheep with a 5wt and 2# test.

BackPackHunter
03-09-2012, 12:11 PM
while camping in 402 for my elk and sheep hunt next season, im wondering would it be worth it to bring the flyrod out there too??

yes,

upongrassy
03-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Most creeks/rivers in 402 are catch and release come rifle season. Its a great time though,as fishing pressure drops dramatically.

winger7mm
03-10-2012, 07:46 AM
Catch and release is fine, better then a crappy day hunting ;)

kevpack
03-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Catch and release is fine, better then a crappy day hunting ;)

Didn't know there was such a thing:sHa_shakeshout:

Frans
03-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Think Geist was saying something like 75% of rams return to the same summer area. So there you go... :-)

winger7mm
03-13-2012, 07:43 AM
Didn't know there was such a thing:sHa_shakeshout:

Ok you did get me there, lol I should have said an unproductive day :)

kevpack
03-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Way better!