PDA

View Full Version : Maintance Picker Trucks And Work

gunslinger
03-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Me and another fella bought one of these trucks, i have no clue about this industry in the field as ive always been on the rigs, But we bought a ford diesel extended cab 550 with a picker on the back and man have we had trouble with this engine. The fella we bought it off of has payed every penny of repairs but first the cam sensor went out, Then the injector so that shorted out the module. Then today the starter went out of er.

I heard that the fords were kinda bad but jees this is getting carried away, i will be looking for a dodge next time i know that. Does anyone know of any of these trucks for sale anyhwere or what is the best one to buy for this line of work. Oilfield maintance.

winger7mm
03-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Me and another fella bought one of these trucks, i have no clue about this industry in the field as ive always been on the rigs, But we bought a ford diesel extended cab 550 with a picker on the back and man have we had trouble with this engine. The fella we bought it off of has payed every penny of repairs but first the cam sensor went out, Then the injector so that shorted out the module. Then today the starter went out of er.

I heard that the fords were kinda bad but jees this is getting carried away, i will be looking for a dodge next time i know that. Does anyone know of any of these trucks for sale anyhwere or what is the best one to buy for this line of work. Oilfield maintance.

One of the trucks we used to run was a 2002 ford with the 7.3, it was great. the biggest issue we had on that truck was busting the lug bolts off and being stuck 200km off the highway, long day/night/morning that was

NoKlu
03-09-2012, 05:44 AM
You are either making payments on a new rig or your paying for repairs on a used unit. Why would you think a used dodge would be any better? They all got problems,that's why it was for sale.

Zulu9er
03-09-2012, 06:07 AM
We have a Dodge Sterling 5500 series with a 2.5 ton picker. Having said that, new tires all around this dually> $5,000 including spare, Picker certification by an engineer> $4,100, Reinstall Positive Air Shutoff that was removed by seller before purchase> $1,300, outrigger arms had hydraulics replaced> $1,000.
Picker has a 40 foot reach with a lift capability at full extended length of 930 lbs.
We charge $950 day rate c/w operator, and we think thats reasonable, at least the client thinks so

honda450
03-09-2012, 06:32 AM

Sometimes ya just get a bad one. Don't matter which make they are. Next Ford ya buy may be a good one.

gunslinger
03-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Sometimes ya just get a bad one. Don't matter which make they are. Next Ford ya buy may be a good one.

Yea exactly eh, I really like the truck its big and the back seat is very handy.
Man theres a ton of different types to go with,