PDA

View Full Version : a little guidance

triggertrav
03-08-2012, 05:34 PM
hey, i am considering a deer hunt in the your area, and am wondering what/where should a Minnesota resident start with looking for location?

Also, do i need a guide, I do not want a full on guided hunt. I would be looking more for the DIY hunt, but with an understanding that there has to be some rule over the aliens (myself and family).

we are thinking mule/whitetail hunt and not in the mountains.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

god speed.

winger7mm
03-08-2012, 05:46 PM
hey, i am considering a deer hunt in the your area, and am wondering what/where should a Minnesota resident start with looking for location?

Also, do i need a guide, I do not want a full on guided hunt. I would be looking more for the DIY hunt, but with an understanding that there has to be some rule over the aliens (myself and family).

we are thinking mule/whitetail hunt and not in the mountains.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

god speed.

I am unsure of albertas rules on non-resident hunts, in bc its a hunter host system. thats all I know about that lol. Now if you want a chance at both whitetails and mulie, northwest of edmonton will be the place to look, specifically in 349 and 507 WMU they have produced large deer for me few years and years. Not to bash the south, but when I watch hunting shows the guys freak out about the HUGE 140" whitetail they just shot, back home in the 349,507 you pass on 160 class deer all the time. My personal average for the area has been 183. For mulie its I dont hunt for them but I have shot a few 170+" and lost a 210 to wolves. And to top it all off big bodied deer. The last buck I shot was a 179" and I got 97kgs of meat from him. I hope that helps, alberta has great oppertunities for all kinds of big game. If you do come here to hunt I URGE you to pick up a bear tag, expesially if you are in north of edmonton, we have world class blackbears

winger7mm
03-08-2012, 05:48 PM
If you go to http://www.albertaregulations.ca/ and click on the PDF below the hunting regs, it will bring up the regs for 2011, I dont expect big changes for next season so all should be about the same.

Kurt505
03-08-2012, 05:53 PM
As a non resident alien you will need a guide, a DIY hunt is out of the question. The outfitter I guide for has whitetail/mule or whitetail/moose hunt combos available but they are sold out for next season. I think APOS has an outfitter directory. Start there and see which outfitters offer what. Try to get some testimonials from other people who have hunted with them.

silver lab
03-08-2012, 06:01 PM
If iam not mistaken(wich i usely am) If you can find a res to take you you can come.?

CNP
03-08-2012, 06:10 PM
If I am not mistaken (which I usually am) If you can find a res to take you, you can come?

There is a limit on numbers. He is talking himself and his family (nbr unknown).

triggertrav
03-08-2012, 06:14 PM
thanks for all the input....there would likely be four of us (2 brothers, dad and brother in law).

any further thoughts/ideas on locating residents that would host us? It looks like each can host 2 - so a husband wife could host four??

is this something that is possible?

Kurt505
03-08-2012, 06:53 PM
thanks for all the input....there would likely be four of us (2 brothers, dad and brother in law).

any further thoughts/ideas on locating residents that would host us? It looks like each can host 2 - so a husband wife could host four??

is this something that is possible?

A Canadian can only host two if one of the two are relative to the Canadian resident. If you are a host, or being hosted, it can only be done once every three years by both parties. No money or gratituity is allowed to exchange hands. Pretty much all other rules that apply to an outfitted hunt will apply to a hosted hunt.

NewAlbertan
03-08-2012, 07:02 PM
with your group size, a trip of a lifetime could be had for reasonable $. Much better than trying to find your way in a foreign place as it were.
Furthermore, the rules here are decent and should be respected, in principle and practice. IMHO, your plan doesn't quite fit the intent of the host arrangement. wouldn't want anyone to get in trouble...

triggertrav
03-08-2012, 07:11 PM
thanks again....i may just have to talk the rest of the group into dropping the extra cash to make it work.

is the guide/host rule consistent with all big game hunts for aliens in anywhere in canada?

Speckle55
03-08-2012, 09:04 PM
triggertrav you should do the same for each Province just google each ..hunting in Sask etc hope that helps..:) rules a diff for each
David

packhuntr
03-09-2012, 06:07 AM
Youd be better off hiring an outfitter no matter your circumstances. You are paying for scouting. For a resident to efficiently and effectively scout just for him or herself to have opportunity take nice representative of the species, it is alot of work, time and money. You are talking multiple hunters and tags. There are VERY FEW residents, your friends/family or not, with that kind of time, let alone effectively equipped man power (network of buddies) that would have a prayer in scouting and setting up a hunt the magnitude of 8 tags, set with expectations on each one. Again, if a one in a lifetime hunt,,, hire an outfitter and pay for the scouting, it will be worth every penny. She costs money to buy whiskey and talk is cheap, results are what you want.

H380
03-09-2012, 07:09 AM
As a non resident alien you will need a guide, a DIY hunt is out of the question. The outfitter I guide for has whitetail/mule or whitetail/moose hunt combos available but they are sold out for next season. I think APOS has an outfitter directory. Start there and see which outfitters offer what. Try to get some testimonials from other people who have hunted with them.

x2 and check all of their referances..also would be agood idea to check with APOS to see what the outfitters history is if they will give it to you .. On a once in a lifetime hunt you hope to get what you pay for but it doesn't always happen .. Good luck .