PDA

View Full Version : Custom boot maker?

Arachnodisiac
03-08-2012, 10:08 PM
A weird request, I know...

But does anyone know any business in Alberta that will custom design a pair of boots for someone? (Not cowboy boots.) I guess I'm looking for an old fashioned shoemaker... do they even exist these days?

Thanks for any and all suggestions. :)

mudbug
03-08-2012, 10:11 PM
They are few and far between now. The last one I used to deal with retired years ago. There's still a few shoe repair places that I know of but I think your looking for someone to custom make footware :thinking-006:

rwm1273
03-08-2012, 10:11 PM
I think you can still get boots made at Diablo boots in Edmonton. Most of their boots are the cowboy style, but I am sure they would be willing to do other styles.

Arachnodisiac
03-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Thank you!

I am emailing Diablo now, but I am only seeing mens' boots as an option for custom work.

Maybe they'll be intrigued by my request and will agree to try it. :)

mudbug
03-08-2012, 10:15 PM
This is the only place I can think of here in Alberta

http://www.wallaceshoemaking.com/

Arachnodisiac
03-08-2012, 10:22 PM
This is the only place I can think of here in Alberta

http://www.wallaceshoemaking.com/

Emailed him, too!

Sort of excited now! Thanks!

mudbug
03-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Emailed him, too!

Your quite welcome :)

bb356
03-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Planing to put the boot's to oko ??? :)

CaberTosser
03-08-2012, 10:47 PM
I know you stated boots that aren't western, but perhaps a call to Alberta Boot in Calgary would answer if they have non-western patterns, or wish to work with you on something unique.

http://www.albertaboot.com/custom_western_boots.htm

I've bought a 3 pairs from them and hold them in high regard. Two pairs were for myself and one pair a gift to my brother.

Arachnodisiac
03-08-2012, 11:15 PM
Planing to put the boot's to oko ??? :)

I don't think I would need a custom pair to deal with Oko... ;)

Caber, yes! Great idea. I will email them as well.

Thanks!

I just hope I can find someone and they'll be ready for the start of herping season! :)

DeNomad
03-09-2012, 07:12 AM
The Boot Wizard in Canmore is the best in the custom footwear fitting industry so I hear. He adjusts all kinds of boots, dunno about footwear from scratch.

http://shoplocalcanmore.com/bootwiz.html (http://shoplocalcanmore.com/bootwiz.html)

sinawalli
03-09-2012, 07:22 AM
Try this guy! www.hikingbootshandcrafted.com

Arachnodisiac
03-09-2012, 07:30 AM
Try this guy! www.hikingbootshandcrafted.com

Pricey! ($1600) And a 3-4 month wait! And I don't think he does the kind of boots I want... but I have emailed him anyway. Although, that would be my birthday and christmas present to myself for the next several years...

The Boot Wizard in Canmore is the best in the custom footwear fitting industry so I hear. He adjusts all kinds of boots, dunno about footwear from scratch.

http://shoplocalcanmore.com/bootwiz.html (http://shoplocalcanmore.com/bootwiz.html)

I am pretty sure he just does fittings, but I will keep that link in the event I ever need it, thanks!

braggadoe
03-09-2012, 07:34 AM
danner makes great, light weight snake boots. in case you can't find a local maker..........you probably allready know this??

Arachnodisiac
03-09-2012, 07:39 AM
Yes, but I am after a certain look, and fit.

Basically, knee-high, bull hide up to the ankles, sleek-fitting, with a very thick rubber sole, with an English riding look, in chocolate brown colour.

Very difficult to find English riding boots that are great for hiking and climbing, and keeping out snake fangs and cacti thorns and that I could actually wear out on a date or with a skirt.

:D

sunsetrider2011
03-09-2012, 07:43 AM

Basically, knee-high, bull hide up to the ankles, sleek-fitting, with a very thick rubber sole, with an English riding look, in chocolate brown colour.

Very difficult to find English riding boots that are great for hiking and climbing, and keeping out snake fangs and cacti thorns and that I could actually wear out on a date or with a skirt.

Now there we go snake boots and a skirt,, I tell you Canadian Girls Are the best, none tougher id say and look good doing it. ;)

Arachnodisiac
03-09-2012, 07:48 AM
Now there we go snake boots and a skirt,, I tell you Canadian Girls Are the best, none tougher id say and look good doing it. ;)

Canadian girls DO rock, you're absolutely correct!

And thank you! :)

braggadoe
03-09-2012, 07:48 AM

WOW...That's HOT!!

sunsetrider2011
03-09-2012, 07:54 AM
Canadian girls DO rock, you're absolutely correct!

And thank you! :)

Your quite Welcome miss ;)

Yéil
03-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Have you considered a surplus pair of the mountie's dress boots? My mom wore her old ones when we went up to the fish camp, she just got a new vibram sole put on them.

If you don't wear the yellow striped jodpurs with them, they look quite trendy... well sorta...

Arachnodisiac
03-09-2012, 08:43 AM
That's not a bad idea! I'll have to google some images. Where is the surplus sold at?

I heard back from the expensive bootmaker – the project may be too complicated for him.

thunderheart
03-09-2012, 08:48 AM
you a wild child girl ... good for you...

Arachnodisiac
03-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Well, not wild, really...

I just want a long-lasting pair of boots that work for me in the field that also happen to be pretty.

That's all. :)

But thank you! I can tell you I felt pretty young and wild earlier this week when I was ID'd while buying a bottle of wine!

thunderheart
03-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Well, not wild, really...

I just want a long-lasting pair of boots that work for me in the field that also happen to be pretty.

That's all. :)

But thank you! I can tell you I felt pretty young and wild earlier this week when I was ID'd while buying a bottle of wine!

thats great .. had to have made you feel good .. lol

how are you liking pincher creek?... I loved it there... Is the tasty freeze still at the south end of town?

Arachnodisiac
03-09-2012, 09:01 AM
thats great .. had to have made you feel good .. lol

how are you liking pincher creek?... I loved it there... Is the tasty freeze still at the south end of town?

Oh, I felt good. I celebrated, actually, and almost bought myself flowers! :)

I don't think so... south end of town, on the highway on the way to Waterton? I don't think I have seen anything like that around. Was it an ice cream place?

I live out of town, and I don't actually get into Pincher Creek all that often... though I try to go once a week for the mail. But I like the area – it's very pretty. It's been slow getting to know folks though.

Yéil
03-09-2012, 09:06 AM
That's not a bad idea! I'll have to google some images. Where is the surplus sold at?

I heard back from the expensive bootmaker – the project may be too complicated for him.

I noticed Drewz has an RCMP collection, why not drop him a PM? He might know. http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=75495

I know you said Alberta made... have a look here... these guys will fit you for about 600USD http://www.boot.com/bwpatrol.shtml and they make custome too... http://www.boot.com/bdcustomMP.htm

thunderheart
03-09-2012, 09:07 AM
yeah was right on the waterton hiway corner.

I was working for a Bonertz on his farm, cant remember his first name, and for the co-op feed store. Lol i was head over heels for a pretty little gal that worked at the KFC on main street.

saddleup
03-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Try the local hutterite colonies, some of them still make their own shoes, and i am sure you could get a custom made pair of boots like you want. I have had a couple pair of boots made over the years, 10 inch high lace ups for riding, they do an awesome job and the way you want.

Neil Waugh
03-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Alberta Boot has the contract for both the RCMP riding boot (brown) and the Lord Strathcona Horse (black.)
Great, famous and iconic western Canadian boots. But maybe not exactly what you want.

Arachnodisiac
03-09-2012, 09:56 AM
I know you said Alberta made... have a look here... these guys will fit you for about 600USD http://www.boot.com/bwpatrol.shtml and they make custome too... http://www.boot.com/bdcustomMP.htm

I think those look a little too masculine.
I'm thinking more like this look, but modified for my needs.

Try the local hutterite colonies, some of them still make their own shoes, and i am sure you could get a custom made pair of boots like you want. I have had a couple pair of boots made over the years, 10 inch high lace ups for riding, they do an awesome job and the way you want.

I never thought of that!

Thunderheart: That's the second time you have told me about that girl – she must have made quite an impression.

Neil: Thanks for the tip!

Redfrog
03-09-2012, 12:40 PM
"I don't think I would need a custom pair to deal with Oko.."

We're still talking boots here right?:)

http://www.daytonboots.com/

Vancouver.B.C>

Salavee
03-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Google Russell Moccasin Great Footwear of all types

Arachnodisiac
03-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Alberta Boot Company is the only one interested so far, and they assure me they can build exactly what I am looking for.

I can hardly wait!

Google Russell Moccasin Great Footwear of all types

They look pretty neat too, but it'll be nice to go somewhere closer and work with them on the options in person. :)

thunderheart
03-09-2012, 05:22 PM
sorry lol getting old i guess lmao.. yeah was wanting to marry her, lost touch with her and and then after a number of yrs found her again and we sent letters and xmas cards for yrs. then she divorced and found a new man that was DEAD set against her sending me cards so she stopped ,, first loves ya know lol

again sorry

TJG
03-15-2012, 05:15 PM
www.steenwyk.com

Red Deer

Arachnodisiac
03-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Thanks! Checking them out now. :)

Kanonfodder
03-15-2012, 07:52 PM
Id suggest Nightshade Corsets in Edmonton but I am thinking those arent the thigh high boots you were looking for.....:sHa_shakeshout:

My ex she used to shop there :scared0018:

Arachnodisiac
08-29-2012, 09:23 AM
So, these are what I finally decided on, after having no luck with any other option.

I tried riding boots - they were too high and not very comfortable.
The only pair I was interested in having custom built by the Calgary place was over $600, and that wasn't an option. Cowboy boots don't go high enough, and work boots aren't pretty enough to wear with a dress or over a nice pair of jeans.

Why 20-hole Doc Martens didn't occur to me sooner is beyond me!
I bought them five days before my herping trip in Arizona, so I had to break them in as quickly as possible.

I was rather worried as they just weren't softening or molding to me very quickly, but I used a thick pair of wool socks, with a think hiking pair underneath, plus mole skin and band-aids. Incredibly, my feet weren't overly hot, even hiking for hours in +35 heat with all those layers on!

You can see they are scuffed up pretty good around the toe, but I did a lot of hiking and intense climbing, and they held up well overall. I love that they are almost as high as my knees, and the leather is thick enough to offer protection from cacti thorns and (I hope!) rattlesnake strikes.

Anyway, it worked out and now they fit like a second skin and I'm really pleased with them! I'd always wanted a pair in high school... turns out, I just had to wait 15 years or so!

P.S.
I swear that my legs aren't this white in real life.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/Arachnodisiac/boots.jpg

creeky
08-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Had you considered a good pair of paddock boots such as the Blundstones combined with a quality set of half chaps

Arachnodisiac
08-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Had you considered a good pair of paddock boots such as the Blundstones combined with a quality set of half chaps

No, because I wanted a one-piece ensemble and I'm not a fan of chaps.
I really wanted something that I just pull on and then go, and these fit the bill.

vcmm
08-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Emailed him, too!

It only takes boots to get you excited.:evilgrin::party0052:

vcmm
08-29-2012, 10:05 PM
So, these are what I finally decided on, after having no luck with any other option.

I tried riding boots - they were too high and not very comfortable.
The only pair I was interested in having custom built by the Calgary place was over $600, and that wasn't an option. Cowboy boots don't go high enough, and work boots aren't pretty enough to wear with a dress or over a nice pair of jeans.

Why 20-hole Doc Martens didn't occur to me sooner is beyond me!
I bought them five days before my herping trip in Arizona, so I had to break them in as quickly as possible.

I was rather worried as they just weren't softening or molding to me very quickly, but I used a thick pair of wool socks, with a think hiking pair underneath, plus mole skin and band-aids. Incredibly, my feet weren't overly hot, even hiking for hours in +35 heat with all those layers on!

You can see they are scuffed up pretty good around the toe, but I did a lot of hiking and intense climbing, and they held up well overall. I love that they are almost as high as my knees, and the leather is thick enough to offer protection from cacti thorns and (I hope!) rattlesnake strikes.

Anyway, it worked out and now they fit like a second skin and I'm really pleased with them! I'd always wanted a pair in high school... turns out, I just had to wait 15 years or so!

P.S.
I swear that my legs aren't this white in real life.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/Arachnodisiac/boots.jpg

Those legs are not white Casper.lol

Arachnodisiac
08-29-2012, 10:07 PM
It only takes boots to get you excited.:evilgrin::party0052:

Some girls like purses or heels.

I like herping boots. :)

(And I prefer to think of them as off-white.) :D

vcmm
08-29-2012, 10:10 PM
Some girls like purses or heels.

I like herping boots. :)

(And I prefer to think of them as off-white.) :D

:sign0013:Could not resist.:kap:

6.5 shooter
08-29-2012, 10:20 PM
The Pincher Colony had some really nice boots for sale here in the Hat at the last trade show. I know I am a bit late seeing as you already bought your boots but maybe keep them in mind.
The Ice cream place at the end of main street was called the "Bunny Bar" best darn shakes for miles, that and their lonely and twin steer burgers.

Arachnodisiac
08-29-2012, 10:21 PM
The Pincher Colony had some really nice boots for sale here in the Hat at the last trade show. I know I am a bit late seeing as you already bought your boots but maybe keep them in mind.
The Ice cream place at the end of main street was called the "Bunny Bar" best darn shakes for miles, that and their lonely and twin steer burgers.

Wow! I will have to call them and see if they have a pair I can look at - thanks for the tip!
One can never have too many boots!

dty
08-30-2012, 04:13 AM

If you're not to stuck on English styling these sound like Packer boots. I use mine trail riding and what's great is since they lace you can customize the fit. After much looking and trying on I went with a pair of Whites, 10 " uppers, which come to just under my knees (I'm 6'3"). Bought them in High River at Bradley's although come to think of it they might be closed. Looking Whites does have a website
http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=445

sunsetrider2011
08-30-2012, 07:46 AM
Pretty Snazzy boots there Girl,, and as long as they served a purpose and your happy with them. Nothn better than a good pair of boots that when you put your feet in you get all warm and fuzzy inside and your chest puffs out because, hey, These Feel Good. and ya look good in them, :) And the paisty White legs will buff right out no worries ;)

Arachnodisiac
08-30-2012, 07:57 AM
If you're not to stuck on English styling these sound like Packer boots. I use mine trail riding and what's great is since they lace you can customize the fit.

Thanks! I was sort of bent on having a non-western style, although I bet those are pretty comfortable too!

Pretty Snazzy boots there Girl,, and as long as they served a purpose and your happy with them. Nothn better than a good pair of boots that when you put your feet in you get all warm and fuzzy inside and your chest puffs out because, hey, These Feel Good. and ya look good in them, :) And the paisty White legs will buff right out no worries ;)

Buff out? I don't know how, with the exception of paint!
Everything tanned just fine this summer - except my legs. They wouldn't even burn. They're like... indestructible or something. It's almost inhuman.