PDA

View Full Version : Work situation bugging me... Opinions sought (from both men & women)

ÜberFly
03-09-2012, 08:32 AM
Ok so a little background...

I work in an environment where there are about 80% women (no comments please)...

When I 1st started (~4 months ago) I got written up for making a distasteful remark to someone (female) I thought I had a decent relationship with (I accepted the reprimand as that was the appropiate course of action).

Yesterday, our Team Lead (female), did something that could be defineilty constude as offensive, it was not appropriate (for anyone yet alone a 40 something year old). So here's the situation... It was someone's birthday and there were a bunch of balloons around and she happened to put two under her shirt and parade around the office...

Now, at the time she came in to the area I worked at, I did mention something to her while she did this but it wasn't taken seriously and she shrugged it off! I then mentioned something to my coordinator, in private (whom even took a photo of the Team Lead doing this) that if a guy did this or had stuffed a balloon down his pants he would be in some serious trouble, and asked her to mention it to the Team Lead....

I also mentioned something to a few of the people I have good relationships with (one male one female) and both didn't think it was a big deal (Further background, other then the Team Lead there are about 5 of us that are over 40, the rest are mid 20's to early 30's)

Three things:

1) Double standard?!

2) My view is my coordinator is obligated to bring it up to the Team Lead no matter what?! No?!

3) It a matter of principle is it not - that being, me getting in trouble for something that was construde as inappropriate and that she (most likely) will not!!

Unfortunately I can't pursue it further without hurting my status in this job or within the organization in the future?! So damned if I do, damned if I don't!!

Ok.... Go!

Twisted Canuck
03-09-2012, 08:37 AM
What, a double standard for men and women is a surprise to you? Welcome to the Way Things Are. Not very helpful to you, but thems the breaks.

twofifty
03-09-2012, 08:38 AM
Double standards.

If you were a woman, it would have been enough for you to feel uncomfortable and the hypothetical balloon-in-the-pants team leader would be reprimanded.

darius
03-09-2012, 08:41 AM
sounds like you work at the cbc ,
or for sure the government in some capacity ?

oh - and you want no comments on waht is causing the discontent - 80 % women ,

rwm1273
03-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Tell your lead that either something is done, or you will be forced to make a labor complaint. After all equality in the work place should be paramount.

bukwild
03-09-2012, 08:45 AM
Even the indication that you felt uncomfortable is harassment and should be dealt with as such! Also the idea that you feel your position could be affected by bringing it up indicates harassment. Letting it go does nothing for equal rights in the work place I would advise you to take it up with HR officially by introducing it in an e-mail.

darius
03-09-2012, 08:50 AM
Now, at the time she came in to the area I worked at, I did mention something to her while she did this but it wasn't taken seriously and she shrugged it off! I then mentioned something to my coordinator, in private (whom even took a photo of the Team Lead doing this) that if a guy did this or had stuffed a balloon down his pants he would be in some serious trouble, and asked her to mention it to the Team Lead....

i'd shrug it off but re -reading this clearly you don 't want to shrug it off . you have an ax to grind because you got wrote up for something.

sounds like a very immature work place from all !

catnthehat
03-09-2012, 08:56 AM
i'd shrug it off but re -reading this clearly you don 't want to shrug it off . you have an ax to grind because you got wrote up for something.

I don't think it has anyhting to do with "an axe to grind" , but everything to do with the person hav9ng to tread lightly becuase he was written up for something , and yet the team lead can do that and shrug off his complaint.
The bottom line is if he is prepared to make a compalint he had better be ready to fight big, and look for another job at the same time.

Photos, and documented statements weigh heavily in a labour grievence.
Cat

ÜberFly
03-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Yes!! Absolutely!!sounds like a very immature work place from all !

Dona
03-09-2012, 09:08 AM
This type of thing just makes me sad! Make a complaint start looking for a new job. I'm glad i don't work in this type of environment.

ÜberFly
03-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Unfortunately, I have wanted to get back into this organization for a while now (previously had contracts) and accepted this particular position as a "stepping stone" (as it is WAY beneath my education & exp., but after my 6 month probationary period I'm going to applying for something else - which I fully disclosed when being interviewed)

So I don't think I can pursue this in any way, shape of form, because of that...

The purpose of my post was to vent (primarily) ;)

I don't think it has anyhting to do with "an axe to grind" , but everything to do with the person hav9ng to tread lightly becuase he was written up for something , and yet the team lead can do that and shrug off his complaint.
The bottom line is if he is prepared to make a compalint he had better be ready to fight big, and look for another job at the same time.

Photos, and documented statements weigh heavily in a labour grievence.
Cat

Bigdad013
03-09-2012, 09:12 AM
What did you do or say to get reprimanded?

JohninAB
03-09-2012, 09:15 AM
Either deal with it now or pay for it the rest of your time there as it will eat you alive if you don't deal with it. You will never be happy.

Bound2Fish
03-09-2012, 09:16 AM
What did you do or say to get reprimanded?

At a previous party he walked around with one of the free supplied hot dogs, hanging out of his pants hip thrusting in the direction of all of the female party-goers while singing some Journey.

I dont think it really matters what he did, but I do think there is a double standard going on here. And if you really are looking to just use this job as a stepping stone and you wont be in that role for long, put your nose to the ground and grind it out.

DarkAisling
03-09-2012, 09:17 AM
I work in a very male dominated industry. 75% of our office is male (and most of the women are admin staff), and virtually all of our field workers are male.

When being the minority gender in a work environment one sometimes needs to develop a thick skin. Mine is very thick, but every now and then one of the guys will say/do something that leaves me a little speechless. In the event of that, I let him know that while he can get away with that around me, there are other people in the office that would take offence and file a complaint. It is actually kind of funny when they're "reminded" in this way that I'm female, as they tend to forget.

There are things that are in bad taste (which IMO the balloon thing totally was), and there are things that are genuinely and deeply troublesome. There are some people who are quick to react and raise the alarm over things that are merely a little tasteless (we've got one of them in our office . . . and another guy is getting sent to sensitivity training as a result . . . all we can really do is roll our eyes as this crap plays out).

1) Double standard?!

Maybe. How did you feel in this situation? How did the person who filed a complaint against you feel with the situation where a complaint was filed against you? Were you offended while your complainant felt (even unjustly) threatened?

2) My view is my coordinator is obligated to bring it up to the Team Lead no matter what?! No?!

If her behaviour has broken a company policy and you have filed a complaint then she is absolutely obligated to discuss it with the Team Lead.

Otherwise, not really.

3) It a matter of principle is it not - that being, me getting in trouble for something that was construde as inappropriate and that she (most likely) will not!!

Matter of principle? Probably. I'm guessing that the complaint that was filed against you was over something pretty silly, and this is something pretty silly (tasteless, but still silly).

insurgus
03-09-2012, 09:17 AM
This seems pretty simple to me. You made a comment you shouldn’t have, got in ****. Now you’re noticing little things that you feel they should be coming down on others for. Life isn’t fair, and you have a choice to make here.

You wanted to get into this organization. You’re in. Do you want a job, or do you want to fight with people and change corporate culture? You’re going to have to make a choice to either get caught up in this dramatic BS or keep your head down.

They have a saying in the military for guys who go through basic. Be the gray man. Don’t stick out and don’t cause trouble unless you're going to be the absolute best at something. The same applies for the commercial workplace if you expect to have a career that lasts longer than a few years.

It's up to you man. You know best what YOU want to do. Just remember that the advice you get here, if acted on, can and probably will impact the paycheque you get every two weeks. Be careful. Good luck!

colin455
03-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Sorry. The double standard is normal. Your uncomfortability will never be as much as theirs. Shape up, fly straight, watch everything you do and remember it's only for a short duration as you indicated.
A workplace record CAN follow you from job to job and affect future positions.

Arachnodisiac
03-09-2012, 09:19 AM
I am not sure you can fix too much political correctness with more political correctness.

I don't see it as much as a double standard as I do the product of overzealous political correctness.

Also, it's hard to make any comment about a double standard without knowing the precise nature of the incident which resulted in your write-up.

pophouseman
03-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Welcome to Maleville

ÜberFly
03-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Hmmm...

Not sure how to comment on this... No one but whom the incident happened to can determine if something is offensive/inappropriate or not! The whole "in for a penny in for a pound" scenario...

And what I had inadvertantly said to get me reprimanded is totally irrelivant to this situation and was provided for background only - to set a "standard" as to how this environment deals with these types of situations (supposedly) for the same rationale... That person felt it was innapropriate and that's all that mattered (and it was even though it wasn't said in that specific context - and I accept that), even in a room full of people if one person was offended, it was inappropriate (that's what all the training videos state!!)

I am not sure you can fix too much political correctness with more political correctness.

I don't see it as much as a double standard as I do the product of overzealous political correctness.

Also, it's hard to make any comment about a double standard without knowing the precise nature of the incident which resulted in your write-up.

Yéil
03-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Check your work's harassment processes to see how long you have to file a complaint after an incident.

There is usually a statute of limitations so while you may not immediately wish to file a complaint right now, this may not stop you at a future date to file. Most work place harassment polices afford the employee an opportunity to have a period of time to consider their options on filing a complaint - so look into your company's time frame.

If you do have the opportunity to delay your complaint then file it when you feel you can - after probation period, new position, change of supervisory staff etc.

In the meantime, gather up your documentation, photos and other staff comments - write out a very detailed account of the incident - names, dates, other witnesses, comments said and who you reported the incident to when it happened. Be specific, detailed and don't assume others will know what you are referring to when describing the incident. Document every single conversation with this person - times, dates and gist of conversations. Always follow up "official" conversations with a written response - usually along the lines of ... thank you for our meeting of ____, where you asked/required me to do _____. I'd like to just confirm that we are still to go ahead with _____ . Document, document, document.

When you are ready to pursue this, make sure you file in writing. A verbal complaint can be (and sadly) ignored, a paper trail isn't so easy.

What I also tell folks facing this kind of work place crap is to write out a very detailed account and put it in a sealed envelope. Ask your HR person to put it in your PERS file with a time and date stamp. That really helps counter accusations that you changed or made up your complaint - the time between that action and one of actually filing the complaint goes to show you weren't on a revenge kick.

Poison/toxic work places suck.

rugatika
03-09-2012, 09:46 AM
You're a white straight male. The last actual group of people that can lay claim to achieving things on their own without a sympathetic shoulder from HR. Keep your mouth shut, chin up, and soldier on and you will be able to be proud in the knowledge that you did it on your own without whining about every little speed bump. Something not a lot of people can lay claim to anymore.

Whiskey Wish
03-09-2012, 09:51 AM
In big block letters they are telling you that it is time you looked for a different job. If you do not there will be other issues arising until you either take the hint or they collect enough grounds for dismissal.
That is my take on the info provided.
Regards,
Dave.

darius
This seems pretty simple to me. You made a comment you shouldn’t have, got in ****. Now you’re noticing little things that you feel they should be coming down on others for. Life isn’t fair, and you have a choice to make here.

You wanted to get into this organization. You’re in. Do you want a job, or do you want to fight with people and change corporate culture? You’re going to have to make a choice to either get caught up in this dramatic BS or keep your head down.

They have a saying in the military for guys who go through basic. Be the gray man. Don’t stick out and don’t cause trouble unless you're going to be the absolute best at something. The same applies for the commercial workplace if you expect to have a career that lasts longer than a few years.

It's up to you man. You know best what YOU want to do. Just remember that the advice you get here, if acted on, can and probably will impact the paycheque you get every two weeks. Be careful. Good luck!

best response so far !

don 't be 'one of those guy's " :snapoutofit:

Loper
Just keep in mind that complaints like this can cost people their jobs, their chances at advancement and their future prospects. Were you that offended? Do you wish that the person who laid the complaint against you would have given you the consideration of letting you know your behaviour bothered them and giving you a chance to change your behaviour?

pophouseman
03-09-2012, 09:53 AM
you're a white straight male. The last actual group of people that can lay claim to achieving things on their own without a sympathetic shoulder from hr. Keep your mouth shut, chin up, and soldier on and you will be able to be proud in the knowledge that you did it on your own without whining about every little speed bump. Something not a lot of people can lay claim to anymore.

boom!!!!!!

DarkAisling
03-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Hmmm...

Not sure how to comment on this... No one but whom the incident happened to can determine if something is offensive/inappropriate or not! The whole "in for a penny in for a pound" scenario...

I disagree. I do think the shade of grey matters (these things are seldom black and white). While people are sometimes offended by things other people wouldn't be . . . I think most of us have pretty reasonable expectations about what is and isn't appropriate.

I don't think there are too many of us who wouldn't find your co-workers behaviour inappropriate (but I've been wrong before . . . Shh! Don't tell the people who think I'm a "know it all." ;)).

And what I had inadvertantly said to get me reprimanded is totally irrelivant to this situation and was provided for background only - to set a "standard" as to how this environment deals with these types of situations (supposedly) for the same rationale... That person felt it was innapropriate and that's all that mattered (and it was even though it wasn't said in that specific context - and I accept that), even in a room full of people if one person was offended, it was inappropriate (that's what all the training videos state!!)

I think the info you've relayed here is relevant. You "inadvertently" said something that someone found offensive. Your co-worker purposefully did something that you found offensive.

Base on that . . . if you're willing to pursue the same process your co-worker did to indicate her displeasure, and the result is not the same, it is a double standard (as her offence, IMO, is a darker shade of grey).

greylynx
03-09-2012, 09:58 AM
That is what it is like working for the federal goverment.

If you want the all the goodies that go with the job keep your mouth shut and fit into the crowd even though your co workers are a bunch of idiots.

If you don't fit in you will be gone after your probation period.

One does not get ahead in the goverment by being overly productive. You get ahead, by gladhanding, butt kissing, fart catching talking about what a great corporation the cbc is, being pro union, being a Justin Trudeau card carrying liberal...but not womanizing.

With all this partying going on, no wonder the federal government is so darn costly.

doetracks
03-09-2012, 09:59 AM
I'm in the same position as Shelley (mostly male workers). I agree with the thick skin thing, I've always been a tomboy and 99% of questionable comments or actions roll off me pretty easily. On occasion (rarely, I think I've just about heard it all), something will take me by surprise.

I don't think I would stoop to the level of the complainers. Ignore it. Move on. Don't give her (or any others that feel they need to attract attention) the attention they seem to want.

I have to remember what I was told when I started in my career: work hard, do your job, and don't complain.

Arachnodisiac
03-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Same boat as Doetracks and Shelley.

I generally relate better to men than to women anyway, especially as a tomboy all my life.

That said, I have been genuinely creeped out on a few occasions throughout the years, but for the most part, I find the same things funny.

(Except for fart jokes – do men ever grow tired of this?!)

The only thing I find offensive is any habitual slagging of women in general from one offender. Jokes are one thing, but when it's an overall attitude, it can make for a pretty negative working environment.

Bound2Fish
03-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Same boat as Doetracks and Shelley.

I generally relate better to men than to women anyway, especially as a tomboy all my life.

That said, I have been genuinely creeped out on a few occasions throughout the years, but for the most part, I find the same things funny.

(Except for fart jokes – do men ever grow tired of this?!)
The only thing I find offensive is any habitual slagging of women in general from one offender. Jokes are one thing, but when it's an overall attitude, it can make for a pretty negative working environment.

The answer is no, fart jokes are always funny!!

darius
03-09-2012, 10:06 AM
That is what it is like working for the federal goverment.

If you want the all the goodies that go with the job keep your mouth shut and fit into the crowd even though your co workers are a bunch of idiots.

If you don't fit in you will be gone after your probation period.

One does not get ahead in the goverment by being overly productive. You get ahead, by gladhanding, butt kissing, fart catching talking about what a great corporation the cbc is, being pro union, being a Justin Trudeau card carrying liberal...but not womanizing.

With all this partying going on, no wonder the federal government is so darn costly.

this has to be government . all the talk of team leads , cordinators , reeks of public sector squander !!! my bet is the cbc , or the health system ???

who paid for the birthday cake ? I bet we did !!! :mad0100:

S-in-Cochrane
03-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Are you seriously complaining about some balloons under a shirt?

Just want to be clear as to what happened.

ÜberFly
03-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Totally irrelivant to the situation!

this has to be government . all the talk of team leads , cordinators , reeks of public sector squander !!! my bet is the cbc , or the health system ???

who paid for the birthday cake ? I bet we did !!! :mad0100:

darius
03-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Totally irrelivant to the situation!

not at all !

what you describe is the culture within the civil service , sad but true !

i see my hunch was correct !!!

ÜberFly
03-09-2012, 10:28 AM
As well, totally irrelivant to the situation! As (one of) my point(s) was that if a male did something like this (either shirt or pants) they would get into trouble!!

Just want to be clear as to what happened.

darius
03-09-2012, 10:30 AM
As well, totally irrelivant to the situation! As (one of) my point(s) was that if a male did something like this (either shirt or pants) they would get into trouble!!

thats life as a guy buddy , suck it up or turn your man card in .

:bad_boys_20:

ÜberFly
03-09-2012, 10:31 AM
It would be inappropriate in any workplace!!

[QUOTE=darius;1338371]not at all !

it the the culture within the civil service ,

QUOTE]

darius
03-09-2012, 10:35 AM
the difference is at 'most " private companies with 'most' employees it would be water under the bridge, not get a second thought .

you have the nmeans to make this a big deal , so you are !!

sure I could see making a stink if it was more of an issue , but from what you describe nothing more than office haha at a birthday party ,

unless you want to clarify farther , are we missing something ????

Okotokian
03-09-2012, 10:35 AM
And what I had inadvertantly said to get me reprimanded is totally irrelivant to this situation and was provided for background only - to set a "standard" as to how this environment deals with these types of situations

It's very relevant if you are trying to say there is a double standard. How can you say two situations are equal if you won't tell us anything about the first one?

I manage harassment investigations for a major multi-national corporation; one of several hats I wear. PM me if you really want advice. But if the only offence this woman has committed is that she put balloons down her shirt and paraded around, the likely corporate response will be "Sally, not good management behavior. Don't do it again."

beerhunter
03-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Pics or it didn't happen:)

IBTL

BlackHeart
03-09-2012, 10:37 AM
So you have been slammed for something minor or out of context based on somebody's overly sensitive BS feeeelings............and now are contemplating continuing the cycle by doing this to someone else for having a little fun.

Do you really think this makes things better or just perpetuates this environment of overly sensitive whiners. Your not making the work environment better....in fact your contributing to the problem of taking things too far for too little. Before you know it if you look at someone and they dislike your glance, your in trouble.

STOP the BS political correctness and man up.

Redfrog
03-09-2012, 10:39 AM
sounds like you work at the cbc ,
or for sure the government in some capacity ?

oh - and you want no comments on waht is causing the discontent - 80 % women ,

I see there is a difference between sexism and racism for some people.:thinking-006:

Uber. are you really getting your panties in a bunch over this? Would you think the same if you hadn't been reprimanded.

If you want to launch a crusade to save the sensibilities of your fellow workers who don't seem to share your outrage, you may have a steep slope to climb.

Unless they were your balloons, I wouldn't get too upset.

Good Luck. EI is always more fun in the summer.

Zuludog
03-09-2012, 10:42 AM

^^ sounds the same to me too. Were you really offended? REALLY?? :thinking-006: Are you just upset because the Team Lead is getting away with something you can't. Boo Hoo! If this bothers you (a girl with baloon tits).... then man up. You are continuing the cycle of whining & political correctness gone awry.

As others have said fight it and suffer the consequences or shrug it off, keep your head down and get the job you really want when your probation is up. Your choice.

Okotokian
Uber. are you really getting your panties in a bunch over this? Would you think the same if you hadn't been reprimanded.

Another Redfrog bullseye.

It's understandable, no one likes to be reprimanded, but I think a little of this is going on. Only human.

darius
I see there is a difference between sexism and racism for some people.:thinking-006:

keep it in context big fella . :fighting0030:

Lefty-Canuck
03-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Quick question..

If you had not been reprimanded for the other incident would you still feel the same way you do about this one?

Previous experience will cause us to bias subsequent experiences...

LC

ÜberFly
03-09-2012, 11:05 AM
I would have to say yes!

There are a lot of other inappropriate things that go on in this work environment (as previously noted it's a very immature place), and I have brought it up to the TL (and she has agreed) others things I have not...

My point again is the standard was set, and I was reprimanded which I accept.

Her actions were harmless and silly (not desputing that fact), but irrespective of that fact my point was that if a guy did this, they would get into trouble! Double standard, yes! Acceptible, no! But as many of you mentioned, such is life!!

So thanks for all the comments. I'm not going to pursue this for the fact that I want to move on within this organization for the time being and it wouldn't be worth it to "rock the boat"...

Quick question..

If you had not been reprimanded for the other incident would you still feel the same way you do about this one?

Previous experience will cause us to bias subsequent experiences...

LC

keeks
03-09-2012, 11:06 AM

Really? This bugs you? As a guy, this display bugs you? I think it bugs you because you can't get away with doing the same thing. And that my friend is life.

Co-workers are not our friends. We don't get to pick them. We are forced to work in close quarters with people we don't know, and often don't like. It can be difficult, or downright medication inducing. However, we can choose to be in a happy place of employment, or not.

Redfrog
03-09-2012, 11:08 AM
keep it in context big fella . :fighting0030:

So is there a memo on when I should be offended by racism or sexism or is it just when you think it is not OK?

I'm really struggling here.:thinking-006:

PJT
03-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Well guy I hate to be the one but you are hooped! There is nothing you can do that will not be percieved as negative.

It does not matter if you are comfortable or not, simply do not complain and begin looking for a new work enviroment.

Redfrog
03-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Everyone has to decide what their integrity and values are worth. Some turn a blind eye and some do nothing cause they don't want to "rock the boat".

So is it the right thing to do the right thing all the time or only when it's convenient.

Can you stand by with a clear conscience and do nothing while this evil spreads across the land? Think of the children.

Okotokian
03-09-2012, 11:18 AM
My point again is the standard was set, and I was reprimanded which I accept.

There was NO standard set. Organizational response is not the same regardless of severity. We have no idea the severity of your infraction. Your unwillingness to divulge it suggests it was somewhat serious or at least embarassing to you. Perhaps you told some female co-worker you wanted give her a moustache ride, with some illustrative tongue wagging as you said it. Who knows? Unless you put balloons in your shirt or pants you will have a hard time arguing differential treatment.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-09-2012, 11:31 AM
I wonder if this isn't mojito boy , good ole fishnuts.
Wasn't he afraid of a big ole set of knockers to.

Redfrog
03-09-2012, 11:38 AM
"Perhaps you told some female co-worker you wanted give her a moustache ride,"

You can get in trouble for that?????? Who knew???

I was in a bar one time and half the women in there had moustaches.:scared0018:

ÜberFly
03-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Really!! You have to infer something like that!! Really!!

Perhaps you told some female co-worker you wanted give her a moustache ride, with some illustrative tongue wagging as you said it.

Okotokian
03-09-2012, 11:43 AM

Frick I'm glad you don't work here.... LOL

And for the record, I wasn't really suggesting Uber said anythng like that. he's a good guy from what little I know. just poinitng out that not all offenses are the same.

Ok, moving on..... ;)

darius
03-09-2012, 12:04 PM
So is there a memo on when I should be offended by racism or sexism or is it just when you think it is not OK?

I'm really struggling here.:thinking-006:

i' d like to dumb it down for ya , but i'd be wasting my time .

Redfrog
03-09-2012, 12:09 PM
i' d like to dumb it down for ya , but i'd be wasting my time .

I'm afraid if you dumb it down the next level would be a coma.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Zuludog
03-09-2012, 12:25 PM

I was in a bar one time and half the women in there had moustaches.:scared0018:

Those weren't women. :scared0018: lol

nekred
03-09-2012, 01:53 PM
HWF you are back ... does the balloon chested women drive a black dually!...

DarkAisling
03-09-2012, 01:57 PM

While I'm sure he's back somewhere . . . he most certainly isn't ÜberFly.

eastcoast
03-09-2012, 02:02 PM
this is why I am happy I work mostly with other men outside in construction.

Okotokian
03-09-2012, 02:09 PM

So you wear the hardhat, eh? I was wondering. I thought maybe the indian outfit or the motorcycle cop outfit. ;) LOL

sorry, just one of those days east :) LOL

Rancid Crabtree
03-09-2012, 02:10 PM
This is what happens when a work place is lacking work.
What a soap opera I would quit just to get away from the idiots.
Definitely government.
If you want some action forget channels just post videos on u tube of this stuff that identify which branch of the civil service your in. The media loves that kind of stuff.

riden
03-09-2012, 02:28 PM
I have worked with a few people who deal with every petty issue by making formal complaints.I have known others who even run intereference, when they are in the wrong, by making a formal complaint before there mistake comes out. They are always making a moutain of a molehill, because they think they are RIGHT!!!!

Thay are hated, and are a cancer in the workplace.

I think your complaint is petty at best, and you very much run the risk of alienating your co-workers.

bessiedog
03-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Oko.... thanks... i spit coffee and now have the macho man song stuck in my head.

Memo... must wash indian suit.....

Uber...

Are you sure the gigs worth it?

Chalk up the culture to the unfortunate cost of business....
Might wanna thicken up the skin a bit bud.

I'll trade ya.... i gotta walk through a minefield of feminazis pret near daily and do my pc shuffle....

My happiness isnt much from work.

Or.... watch fight club and take some notes on how to deal with upper level supervisors...

Ive always wanted to try that.

just_dave
03-09-2012, 03:06 PM
Set the photo of her with balloons under her shirt as your background.

Austin
03-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Talk to the person that complained to you and ask her what you should do and judge her response... Could make for interesting turn of events or add to some workplace drama.

Kinda also passes the torch to a known whistle blower to run with. Let her alienate herself

eastcoast
03-09-2012, 03:22 PM
So you wear the hardhat, eh? I was wondering. I thought maybe the indian outfit or the motorcycle cop outfit. ;) LOL

only when I am outside on certain sites.

macho macho man

Sneeze
03-09-2012, 03:27 PM
You're a white straight male. The last actual group of people that can lay claim to achieving things on their own without a sympathetic shoulder from HR. Keep your mouth shut, chin up, and soldier on and you will be able to be proud in the knowledge that you did it on your own without whining about every little speed bump. Something not a lot of people can lay claim to anymore.

After Rugitika posted this, the conversation is pretty much wrapped up.

X2

Okotokian
03-09-2012, 03:36 PM
You're a white straight male. The last actual group of people that can lay claim to achieving things on their own without a sympathetic shoulder from HR.
:sHa_sarcasticlol: Hang on, lemme wipe the tears of laughter from my eyes. Then I gotta go tell the Asian guys in IT and engineering that they are frauds and slackers. I'll be right back.

Geez Ruga, I'm truly stunned by some of the *&$#* you type. That's the type of thing I'd expect to hear from the skinhead with the bullhorn during their yearly march downtown. Seriously.....

Sneeze
03-09-2012, 04:31 PM
That's the type of thing I'd expect to hear from the skinhead with the bullhorn during their yearly march downtown. Seriously.....

You forgot to say "Hitler, Fascism, Stephen Harper & Nazi".

You do get points for "skinhead" and "march". "Goosestep" would have scored higher. Overall I would assign a rating of C+ to your attempt at a lefty retort.

Okotokian
03-09-2012, 04:38 PM

You do get points for "skinhead" and "march". "Goosestep" would have scored higher. Overall I would assign a rating of C+ to your attempt at a lefty retort.

If believing that white males aren't the only ones in society that "achieve things" (a statement you wholeheartedly agreed with) makes me a "lefty", then absolutely I'm one... Miles to the "left" of you apparently. "Whites aren't best? that's commie talk!"

Arachnodisiac
03-09-2012, 04:51 PM

Silly Oko! He forgot that in the World of Sneeze, an inconvenient truth means liberalism if it doesn't fit in with your sense of persecution.

darius
03-09-2012, 05:09 PM
i just re read this and it cannot be for real . I think uberfly had the last laugh on us ?!

The Elkster
03-09-2012, 05:14 PM
I think the wording of the original post makes the context of the first incident very relavent. As its written obviously the first incident is a big reason why there is some exception being taken to the second. There may or may not be a gross discrepancy in discipline between people. If the first disciplinary incident was of a similar nature I would certainly be miffed. If the first incident was something a little more harsh such as a harshly sexist remark or crude comment/jesture then I would say you've found their tolerance level....move on.

If you had a video or a picture of the balloon incident I would keep that tucked away. May help your case down the line if something more comes at you. Sometimes people have it out for ya and maybe thats why the first complaint...In such a case having proof that similar or worse behavior of others is being tolerated without incident would certainly help.

jimbos1
03-09-2012, 05:41 PM
your 40 something, seen that when reread it thought it was a kid out for revenge. i cant believe the **** that comes on here sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! life goes on.

Okotokian
03-09-2012, 05:45 PM
I think the wording of the original post makes the context of the first incident very relavent. As its written obviously the first incident is a big reason why there is some exception being taken to the second. There may or may not be a gross discrepancy in discipline between people. If the first disciplinary incident was of a similar nature I would certainly be miffed. If the first incident was something a little more harsh such as a harshly sexist remark or crude comment/jesture then I would say you've found their tolerance level....move on.

If you had a video or a picture of the balloon incident I would keep that tucked away. May help your case down the line if something more comes at you. Sometimes people have it out for ya and maybe thats why the first complaint...In such a case having proof that similar or worse behavior of others is being tolerated without incident would certainly help.

Sounds like as good a last word for this thread as any we've heard.

Sneeze
03-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Silly Oko! He forgot that in the World of Sneeze, an inconvenient truth means liberalism if it doesn't fit in with your sense of persecution.

If dont understand what your trying to tell me here.... I better stay away from the farm report.

BBT
03-09-2012, 08:12 PM
ÜberFly just ask to be moved to the Drive Thru.

PS no more jelly,cream filled or long john jokes.

rugatika
03-09-2012, 09:08 PM
:sHa_sarcasticlol: Hang on, lemme wipe the tears of laughter from my eyes. Then I gotta go tell the Asian guys in IT and engineering that they are frauds and slackers. I'll be right back.

Geez Ruga, I'm truly stunned by some of the *&$#* you type. That's the type of thing I'd expect to hear from the skinhead with the bullhorn during their yearly march downtown. Seriously.....

haha...glad you got a laugh out of that Oko. Just curious what your guffaws are based on? Are you insinuating that companies and government don't preferentially hire minorities?? or have targets that the HR dept's try to meet? I'm sure there are some that don't, but there are also many that do...correct?

covey ridge
03-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Wow! I gotta set this one on subscribe and instant email. I would not want to miss the dramatic conclusion!

roger
03-09-2012, 09:25 PM
uberfly,
i feel your pain. we usta have the Sun girls pasted in the worksite, it was noted by a (female complaintant) and they had to be removed. The samecomplaintant sometime later had the same (inspirational poster of a male model) in her space. It was not racy or provocative, but in the same manner, a complaint was forwarded with almost the exact same wording as hers.

im not sure about the HR relations in your area, but if you do have a document on your personell file, you may have it purged after a length of time...say 16-24 months etc. it may impact your ability to engage in a promotion, that will affect you more.

greylynx
03-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Skinheads in Okotoks?

Not surprised.

Nice to see what a nice little accepting community Okotoks has become.

Emo
03-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Yes double standard. Probably won't do anything worthwhile complaining about it.

My husband had his butt pinched by a fairly high up female manager at a Christmas Party one night held by a very well know institution in Calgary. He was quite upset about it and did complain to his boss, a male as well. His boss just laughed it off and basically told him he should of liked it.

I can guarantee you if he had done that to a woman, any woman in any position there he would of been fired the next work day.

ÜberFly
03-09-2012, 10:08 PM
BBT...

Thanks for outing me buddy!!

Don't bother stopping in any more for your free xl double double and cruller!!

ÜberFly
03-09-2012, 10:17 PM
Interesting! The construction industry has the most immature workers I've experienced (even more then where I'm at)!! As an example, on our site there were guys taking dumps in the middle of the floor b/c they felt there weren't enough port-a-potty's on site! Mind you there was one women (former power lifter) that would tune up any guy that disrespected her (or any other women on site)!! She got written up a ton (but never fired)!

Big Daddy Badger
03-09-2012, 10:19 PM
What, a double standard for men and women is a surprise to you? Welcome to the Way Things Are. Not very helpful to you, but thems the breaks.

Yup.

You stick a salami in your pants...you're a pig.
She sticks balloons in her shirt... she is funny and good for workplace morale.

She flirts and you it is almost seen as politeness... you do that and.. you are harassing.

Maybe we'll level the playing field some day but I wouldn't hold my breath.

My advice is... use your mouth filter...avoid workplace romance and cover your butt.

BBD
03-09-2012, 10:25 PM
It really depends on your situation. If you take the lady to task for what she did, be prepared to accept the consequences that could come with it. If you need the job or a future employment reference you should let it go. It costs you nothing to walk away & take the high road on this. Sometimes when you're right you can still be wrong in some employer's eyes. Pick your battles when it comes to this. If it's a hill worth dying on, file a complaint. If it's not then walk away.

Big Daddy Badger
03-09-2012, 10:31 PM

Sweet...you forgot to ask him how the black duelly is running.....lol

Redfrog
03-09-2012, 10:54 PM

You starting to scare me! I was wondering the same thing.:snapoutofit:

Big Daddy Badger
03-10-2012, 12:03 AM

BWAAAAAAHAHAHA....best one yet!

u_cant_rope_the_wind
03-10-2012, 08:39 AM
whats that saying????
suck it up princess :scared:
wait and pick and choose yer fights that way you will be asured of almost winning them:budo: