PDA

View Full Version : Stupid regulations

airbornedeerhunter
03-09-2012, 11:10 AM
OK, heres the story. I'm planning a moose hunting trip back home to Newfoundland with my old man this September during archery season. I have my NL hunters card and am still considered a resident because I'm in the military, however, because I dont have "B" for bowhunter education stamped on the card technically I'm not allowed to hunt with archery equipment. I've exhausted myself trying to reason with the NL dept. of Fish and Wildlife, even faxing them copies of every bowhunting permit I've bought in Alberta since 1998 and pictures of me with my bow and game taken with it. They are completely unreasonable and say in their eyes I am not qualified to use a bow unless I pay to take a course that i could probably teach myself. I even contacted aheia to see if they could grant me such a card based on my license purchase history here in Alberta- no dice, they want their hundred bucks too! Anybody know of a different avenue that I could take here in AB to get a "education card" that says I'm competant to go in the woods by myself with a bow!

Okotokian
03-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Good luck with that, but it appears as if you are unwittingly trying to play both sides. You are applying as a resident but want to be exempt from resident rules and try to use some sort of status from other jurisdictions.

Perhaps if you applied as a non-resident you would not have to have the stamp... like a non-resident coming to Alberta for a hunt does not have to take Alberta Hunter Education and pass the test for a licene like residents do.

Anyways, good luck!

HunterDave
03-09-2012, 11:25 AM
No option for challenging the course?

Redfrog
03-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Suck it up and take the course/

catnthehat
03-09-2012, 11:49 AM
OK, heres the story. I'm planning a moose hunting trip back home to Newfoundland with my old man this September during archery season. I have my NL hunters card and am still considered a resident because I'm in the military, however, because I dont have "B" for bowhunter education stamped on the card technically I'm not allowed to hunt with archery equipment. I've exhausted myself trying to reason with the NL dept. of Fish and Wildlife, even faxing them copies of every bowhunting permit I've bought in Alberta since 1998 and pictures of me with my bow and game taken with it. They are completely unreasonable and say in their eyes I am not qualified to use a bow unless I pay to take a course that i could probably teach myself. I even contacted aheia to see if they could grant me such a card based on my license purchase history here in Alberta- no dice, they want their hundred bucks too! Anybody know of a different avenue that I could take here in AB to get a "education card" that says I'm competant to go in the woods by myself with a bow!

Your experience elsewhere is of no concern to the privince you are trying to hunt in.
They want you to have thier qualification and that is that.
Same as our range - the RCMP's official RSO and qualifying officer nes to take OUR RSO course before he can run a line at our range even toug he may be totally qulaified.

I really think it's a farce myself, because hunting with a bow may preent challenges, but as far as archery education goes, a hunting permit is only as good as the person who follows the rules that has the permit.
Axreforg says, if you want to bowhunt there , you will have to take their course.
Cat

rugatika
03-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Competent Bow Hunter: I have tons of legitimate, documented experience hunting with a bow. Would I please be able to use this as evidence of competence rather than taking the local course?

Bureaucrat: We have dedicated a lot of time into coming up with ways to tax people without calling them taxes. Give us our hundred bucks!

rwm1273
03-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Competent Bow Hunter: I have tons of legitimate, documented experience hunting with a bow. Would I please be able to use this as evidence of competence rather than taking the local course?

Bureaucrat: We have dedicated a lot of time into coming up with ways to tax people without calling them taxes. Give us our hundred bucks!

That's today's system.

32-40win
03-09-2012, 12:28 PM
You didn't really consider that the gub'mint would miss ANY opportunity to get some loot out of us , did you? :snapoutofit:

Waytec
03-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Skype may be your friend with this one.

Get the books write the test, if you have to on Skype so the instructor and watch you and do the practical over Skype. Send all the papers and certificates everything to your fathers.

You are not going to get around taking the test and spending the $100, like it was said certification is the other term taxing .

nekred
03-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Take the course... I wish the IBEP was mandatory in Alberta for Bowhunting....

Grizzly Adams
03-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Take the course... I wish the IBEP was mandatory in Alberta for Bowhunting....

Yeah, but,:D we're willing to accept other provinces equivalents, when it come to a Hunter training course. It's obviously about the money.

Grizz

airbornedeerhunter
03-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Alls well that ends well, this afternoon I managed to get in touch with the course programmer in NL, once I explained the situation he fully agreed with me and I'm good to go for my moose hunt in September. The new card is in the mail complete with a B for Bowhunter. My 100 bucks is safe!

rwm1273
03-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Alls well that ends well, this afternoon I managed to get in touch with the course programmer in NL, once I explained the situation he fully agreed with me and I'm good to go for my moose hunt in September. The new card is in the mail complete with a B for Bowhunter. My 100 bucks is safe!

Glad it worked out.

GunnerySgtJackson
03-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Bow Hunter Education Course

The Wildlife Division supports and endorses the International Bow Hunter Education Program as a voluntary program for archery hunters. While bow hunter education is not presently mandatory to hunt game in Newfoundland and Labrador, resident and non-resident hunters must still complete a recognized Firearm Safety/Hunter Education Course in order to hunt game with archery equipment.

According to the current NL regulations, you do not require a Bow course ... only a FA/HS course.

Bound2Fish
03-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Nice job on manipulating the system. Glad it worked out for you.

airbornedeerhunter
03-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Nice job on manipulating the system. Glad it worked out for you.

The system is flawed, reason and common sense worked out in the end! And yes as Gunny pointed out, its not yet required for resident hunters. But it will be soon!

Bound2Fish
03-09-2012, 04:58 PM
The system is flawed, reason and common sense worked out in the end! And yes as Gunny pointed out, its not yet required for resident hunters. But it will be soon!

Its still the system with the rules you have to abide by. But you found a way around that.

airbornedeerhunter
03-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Its still the system with the rules you have to abide by. But you found a way around that.

Yeah, I went to the top, the guy that makes the decisions and he sided with me! Wheres the problem with that? I did'nt buy a forged permit in a dark alley from a guy in a trenchcoat!

Bound2Fish
03-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Yeah, I went to the top, the guy that makes the decisions and he sided with me! Wheres the problem with that? I did'nt buy a forged permit in a dark alley from a guy in a trenchcoat!

You also didnt go through the proper steps to aquire one either.

airbornedeerhunter
03-09-2012, 05:28 PM
You also didnt go through the proper steps to aquire one either.

Yeah you're right, 15 years hunting with a bow, 12 treesteps per treestand,6 stands per year, 50+ days in the field every season and a freezer full of venison at the end of it! Thats a lot of steps.

P.S. Get down from your high horse the next time you type something, it affects your spelling, the word acquire has a C!

catnthehat
03-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Yeah you're right, 15 years hunting with a bow, 12 treesteps per treestand,6 stands per year, 50+ days in the field every season and a freezer full of venison at the end of it! Thats a lot of steps.

P.S. Get down from your high horse the next time you type something, it affects your spelling, the word acquire has a C!

Because you protested successfully, hopefully they will change what was obviously an oversight on the people who originally did up the regulations!:)
Cat

Bound2Fish
03-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Yes your right it sure does. So let me ask you this, if I drive for 15 years without a license, then go to the DMV and demand they give me one they should just give it to me? I could even show them pictures of me driving in my car down the street. Does that make me qualified?

catnthehat
03-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Yes your right it sure does. So let me ask you this, if I drive for 15 years without a license, then go to the DMV and demand they give me one they should just give it to me? I could even show them pictures of me driving in my car down the street. Does that make me qualified?

No, but if you drove for 15 years in a different province with that Provinces'
licence they would simply issue you one for the Province you are in, which is what he did.
Cat

airbornedeerhunter
03-09-2012, 05:41 PM
licence they would simply issue you one for the Province you are in, which is what he did.
Cat

Right on Cat, could'nt have said it better myself!

Bound2Fish
03-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Cat

Even if that province would require you to jump through the hoops to be legal there?

rwm1273
03-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Even if that province would require you to jump through the hoops to be legal there?

Every province in Canada has bilateral agreements for driver's licenses. So why would they not accept equal hunting certificates? airborne succeeded the stupidity of a silly policy.

catnthehat
03-09-2012, 05:50 PM

No hoops, just change it.
Cat

GunnerySgtJackson
03-09-2012, 06:14 PM
"While bow hunter education is not presently mandatory to hunt game in Newfoundland and Labrador".....

Once again, Airborne was never required to have a bow course. Sounds like he was dealing with someone who did not know their own regulations. He won, but there should never have been a battle.
This happens often with RCMP officers when dealing with firearms regulations...some do not know the rules but will state categorically that you are wrong/in violation.
Break, Break...Airborne, I hope you and your Dad have a great bow hunt!:)