PDA

View Full Version : Gruene Hall, New Braunfels Texas

Neil Waugh
03-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Anyone ever been to the Gruene Hall in New Braunfels which I think is in the Texas Hill Country? It sounds like a great little venue.
James McMurtry on stage tonight. Emmylou Harris and the Dirt Band also booked later this spring.
Ray Wiley ("snake farm, snake farm") Hubbard too.

Taco
03-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Ain't been to the Hall but I've been to New Braunfels if that helps

I do think Ray Wylie's music is cooler 'n hell though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN0DtywsSW4

NCC
03-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Let us know what you find. I'll be in new Braunfels at the end of March.

Zekeland
03-10-2012, 03:01 AM
Was there last spring...a few days in Austin to visit some family.

Make sure to check out the Continental club as well , in Austin. Caught Mcmurtry there last year. Quite the musician and quite the following as well.

Mr Hubbard...I mean Ray Wylie. Just got into his music the last few years. Caught him at folk festival last summer here in Mb. Great show. I;m sure he has some great stories and some stories he would like to forget.

My sis is currently working for the Hubbard's and has opened a few of his shows recently. He is a real nice guy who has been through a lot.

Dog_River
03-10-2012, 08:24 AM
The wife and I are headed to Austin in May to catch James, Ray Wylie and Dave Alvin. I use to live in Texas for eight years.

I am a huge van of RWH and had the opportunity to buy a 1956 D 18 Martin from him back in 2002 that I still have and cherish.

Should be a great time !

Dog_River

Neil Waugh
03-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Thanx for the info guys. I didn't realize that RWH lives in New Braunfels until I Googled him.
There's another joint close by called John T. Floore Country Store (it's actually a Honky Tonk) that they say is not bad either. He gets it into Screw You We're From Texas.
Hubbard also wrote what could easily be the unofficial anthem for this board.
Up Against the Wall, Redneck Mother. (the" kicking hippies asses and raising hell" part for sure.
Although McMurtry's Choctaw Bingo comes pretty close.
I gotta get down there some day. Maybe get a day or two on the Guadalupe too.
Best Little Trout Stream in Texas they say. Also the only one.

NCC
03-10-2012, 08:44 PM
We saw Reckless Kelly at the Floore's County Store a few years ago and it was great. The place looks like an auction barn but they put on a good show there.

As for fishing in south Texas, my buddies down there say that it's tough to beat fishing the rivers for striped bass when they're running.