PDA

View Full Version : Not available in Canada (VW Amarok)

Rod1960
03-09-2012, 12:40 PM
'Nope, sorry, can't get that up here', and I'm not even talking about firearm related products, hi cap mags etc. I'm talking about small to mid-sized 4x4 trucks with a diesel engine.

The Toyota Hilux http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Hilux and more recently the VW Amarok http://www.volkswagen-commercial-vehicles.com/en/models/amarok.html are of great interest to me.

Why can't we get them, short of importing from off shore? I can only assume that the company's market research says they wouldn't sell and to that I call 'bolshevik'! Emission regulations? Safety regulations?

Any guesses or real answers? Would you buy one?

Redfrog
03-09-2012, 12:41 PM
like the Hilux and probably the only 'toy truck' I'd buy.:)

Albertadiver
03-09-2012, 12:42 PM
like the Hilux and probably the only 'toy truck' I'd buy.:)

Just rode in one for 3 days last week down in Costa Rica. Neat enough little trucks.

rwm1273
03-09-2012, 12:45 PM
I had a 2.8 diesel hilux overseas for a while. It was a great vehicle. However I don't know if it would be good here, as it did not have a heater in it, and even the heater controls did not have a position for it.

It was a LHD, so would not be an issue driving it here. And it had heaps of grunt.

Rod1960
03-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Just rode in one for 3 days last week down in Costa Rica. Neat enough little trucks.

I had a 2.8 diesel hilux overseas for a while. It was a great vehicle. However I don't know if it would be good here, as it did not have a heater in it, and even the heater controls did not have a position for it.

It was a LHD, so would not be an issue driving it here. And it had heaps of grunt.

If built to Canadian standards would you buy one? Assuming you didn't need a full size truck and they would more than suit your needs/wants?

Redfrog
03-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Yep.
Road all over RSA in one for a month. came home and researched getting one. Good in the bush, good on the highway and good on fuel. Other than riding like a Toyota truck what's not to like?

rwm1273
03-09-2012, 12:57 PM
If built to Canadian standards would you buy one? Assuming you didn't need a full size truck and they would more than suit your needs/wants?

Absolutely. Without hesitation. But I would prefer to get a Toyota Land Cruiser or a Nisan Patrol with a diesel. Both are great SUVs. And as large as an Escalade, and come as nicely appointed if not nicer.

Ryry4
03-09-2012, 01:49 PM
You can import them. I had a friend that brought in a few Hilux's into Canada from Japan a few years ago.

rwm1273
03-09-2012, 01:52 PM
You can import them. I had a friend that brought in a few Hilux's into Canada from Japan a few years ago.

Try getting a LHD. To do that you need to find one in Africa.

Snowdog
03-09-2012, 01:59 PM
just spoke to a Mitsubuishi dealer about why they dont sell the Triton pickup in canada, he said the dealers in canada have been pushing the company to to get it to them cos they could sell a ton of them, the prob from what he said was the import taxes put them out of price range with domestic equivalants, they would think only Mitsu/Toyota/Nissan fans would buy them.

In Australia the Toyota Landcruiser cab/chassis is the stock standard for tough relability, has been for decades.

rwm1273
03-09-2012, 02:11 PM
There are several Toyota Land Cruiser models available over seas.

The series 70 is a very utilitarian vehicle available as a Truck, or 4 door wagon or a 2 door troop carrier style that can carry 10 people. Great vehicle.

The 80, 90, 100, and now 200 series are more civil versions that have more in common with a Tahoe than anything else. However the 90 series is about the size of a 4 runner.

All these vehicles are available with a diesel engine ranging from a small 2.4L all the way to a 4.5L as well as numerous gas engines.

catnthehat
03-09-2012, 02:15 PM

There ae more than a few LHD trucks and vans in Ft. Mcmurray, some 4WD, some 2WD, cars, etc.
Cat

rwm1273
03-09-2012, 02:18 PM
There ae more than a few LHD trucks and vans in Ft. Mcmurray, some 4WD, some 2WD, cars, etc.
Cat

Do you know where they imported these from? Or were they converted to LHD? I have thought many times about importing a Hilux, but all the ones I have seen were RHD from Japan.

slingshotz
03-09-2012, 02:48 PM
'Nope, sorry, can't get that up here', and I'm not even talking about firearm related products, hi cap mags etc. I'm talking about small to mid-sized 4x4 trucks with a diesel engine.

It's mainly the mentality of the Americans and small diesels that influences why small diesels are a hard sell here. No matter how many Canadian's want it, car manufacturers typically look at how many they think they can sell in USA first, as the vehicles usually need to be modified to NA standards. And for the longest time diesels were the nastiest engines here so it'll take some time before that perception changes.

I've been wanting a Subaru diesel for the longest time. They've been out overseas for a few years and people just rave about them. Other than big truck diesels, no one other than VW really markets the benefits of small diesels here. I love driving the diesel cars in Europe, it's next to impossible to tell the difference.

The Hilux's and Patrols are awesome vehicles, but here in truck country I think most people want to stick with domestic vehicles. When I win the lottery, I'm importing one of these from Iceland for ice fishing :)

http://www.nissan4x4.co.za/uploads/TheSani/images/2009-03-05_022732_Patrol38_rth2_agust06.jpg

The Fisherman Guy
03-09-2012, 03:07 PM
I would definitely buy a Toyota Hilux if they were stocked here for sale in Canada. Basically it is a Tacoma with a turbo diesel engine, I drove one while I was posted in Peru.

The only problem with owning one currently is replacement parts and Gibson a diesel tech who will produce quality work and knows the motor.

I would also assume the reason they aren't in Canada is because of the emissions regulations.

rwm1273
03-09-2012, 03:33 PM
I would also assume the reason they aren't in Canada is because of the emissions regulations.

Many of these vehicles are operating in countries with strict emissions control. In fact there are lots of diesel engines that meet our current emission standards, but my belief is the domestic brands are scared to have such efficient engines here.

walleyechaser
03-09-2012, 03:43 PM
The Toyota Hilux http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Hilux and more recently the VW Amarok http://www.volkswagen-commercial-vehicles.com/en/models/amarok.html are of great interest to me

The amarok is a great truck, seen them in december in south africa. The hilux can take a bad beating before it gives in.

Isnt the amarok coming to North America in 2014, or a similar vw truck

walleyechaser
03-09-2012, 03:47 PM

Africa is right hand drive as well

rwm1273
03-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Africa is right hand drive as well

Actually most of Africa is LHD unless you are talking about Kenya, or South Africa. I've been to many many places in Africa, and hold 5 different driver's licenses for various countries In Africa.

walleyechaser
03-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Actually most of Africa is LHD unless you are talking about Kenya, or South Africa. I've been to many many places in Africa, and hold 5 different driver's licenses for various countries In Africa.

Good to know only been to the southern countries

Rod1960
03-09-2012, 04:02 PM
The amarok is a great truck, seen them in december in south africa. The hilux can take a bad beating before it gives in.

Isnt the amarok coming to North America in 2014, or a similar vw truck

Haven't heard anything but it would be about time.

A little more digging found this:

Despite some of the lineup having off-road capability, Volkswagens in North America rarely sport off-road tires.

The same isn’t true in Europe where the German automaker sells its Amarok pickup truck which has serious off-road prowess. VW chose the 2012 Geneva Auto Show to debut its Amarok Canyon concept, which is a beefed up version of the pickup.

It sits on Mickey Thompson all-terrain tires and a 1.6-inch lifted suspension that give the truck a total 3.4 inches of extra ground clearance over the standard model. Tough-looking 18-inch wheels painted “Adamantium Dark” add further to the truck’s muscular appearance.

Other accenting features add more to that theme, like the tubular roll bar that runs along the bed and over the cab.

Unlike American pickups, the Amarok drivetrain is influenced by European sensibility with a 180-hp, 2.0-liter four-cylinder twin-turbo-diesel instead of the large engines most North American trucks of similar size have.

The bed is small but functional, with lots of tie-down handles available for securing goods. Realistically, the Amarok Canyon isn’t meant for the same construction site work horse life of an F-150 or the like. It’s crew cab setup and shorter-than-average short box are more designed for ferrying passengers between kayaking trips, which is probably why the concept shown above had that equipment in the bed.

In keeping with the European mentality, the Amarok is available with a six speed manual. That might throw most American truck buyers a curve ball, but it doesn’t matter because this truck isn’t meant for the U.S. market. The Amarok Canyon is still a concept but a more practically oriented version may be available as early as this summer to Europeans

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/03/volkswagen-amarok-canyon-concept-big-tires-and-a-roll-bar-2012-geneva-motor-show.html (pics)

Toyota Hilux

http://www.toyota-europe.com/cars/new_cars/hilux/index.tmex

Tab 4 under 'Highlites' shows a LH drive and under 'Driving' (right below the tabs) it lists 2 diesel options.

(I should quit...I'm just frustrating myself)

rwm1273
03-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Good to know only been to the southern countries

South Africa is a nice place to visit. Been to a few places there. Cape Town is fun, Johanesburg is ok, but I love the area around Bloemfontein.

walleyechaser
03-09-2012, 04:04 PM
ill see if i can dig up something about the NA vw truck, could have sworn i seen info on it somewhere

walleyechaser
03-09-2012, 04:06 PM
South Africa is a nice place to visit. Been to a few places there. Cape Town is fun, Johanesburg is ok, but I love the area around Bloemfontein.

Jo'burg is brutal, always hated it there. I'm originally from Port Elizabeth. Cape Town is nice. Played allot of rugby in Bloemfontein

rwm1273
03-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Jo'burg is brutal, always hated it there. I'm originally from Port Elizabeth. Cape Town is nice. Played allot of rugby in Bloemfontein

I never made it to Port Elizabeth, but one of my good friends is from there. He is a serious gun nut. We used to talk lots about it. Too bad their government has strict laws on guns now.

I dated a girl from Bloemfontein for a short time. Very nice girl. Last white woman I have dated actually.

iliketrout
03-09-2012, 04:09 PM
My bet is that Chevy, Ford, Dodge won't make one because they make all their cash on 1/2 tons and up. If they start making one, it will be in response to Toyota or Nissan bringing one in...but those guys are also experiencing the massive profit margins of large trucks and SUV's so I don't see that happening any time soon.

Since North Americans are completely willing to buy full size trucks, there is no need for a corporation to retool assembly lines and figure out distribution for a product that will only rob their bottom line.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love one as well...just my thoughts on why we don't have them.

colin455
03-09-2012, 04:14 PM
There is a fellow selling a Hilux LHD (looks like a monster Toyota 4runner) up here in Slave Lake. I can grab the number if anyone wants. Even has snorkel on it. Can't get pics till after work though.

rwm1273
03-09-2012, 04:16 PM
I don't have a problem with north american vehicles being large, but why do you only have a choice of a large diesel, or a couple gas engines, one of which is so anemic it is not worth looking at?

It was not that long ago that the average horse power output was just around the 200hp mark. The 2L VW diesel puts out similar figures. I would love to have a truck with one of the smaller diesels such as the Mercedes 3L or a Toyota 3L. Both engines put out good horse power, and good fuel economy.

Rod1960
03-09-2012, 05:18 PM
It's mainly the mentality of the Americans and small diesels that influences why small diesels are a hard sell here. No matter how many Canadian's want it, car manufacturers typically look at how many they think they can sell in USA first, as the vehicles usually need to be modified to NA standards. And for the longest time diesels were the nastiest engines here so it'll take some time before that perception changes.

I've been wanting a Subaru diesel for the longest time. They've been out overseas for a few years and people just rave about them. Other than big truck diesels, no one other than VW really markets the benefits of small diesels here. I love driving the diesel cars in Europe, it's next to impossible to tell the difference.

The Hilux's and Patrols are awesome vehicles, but here in truck country I think most people want to stick with domestic vehicles. When I win the lottery, I'm importing one of these from Iceland for ice fishing :)

http://www.nissan4x4.co.za/uploads/TheSani/images/2009-03-05_022732_Patrol38_rth2_agust06.jpg

A bit dated but I found this: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2010/04/report-subaru-diesel-could-find-its-way-into-north-american-models.html

Subaru is open to the possibility of selling diesel-equipped vehicles in the U.S., but according to Subaru Executive Vice President Tom Doll, several things will have to happen first. In an interview with Ward’s Automotive, Doll commented on emissions regulations and the price of diesel fuel.

“The emissions requirements in the U.S. are significant. And given the price of diesel fuel, where it is right now, it really does not pay to bring the vehicle into the U.S. ,” he said, then giving hope to diesel-lovers by also stating that, “We’re trying to see what happens. As the market sorts itself out, we’ll get ready, and then look at bringing the car (here).”

Currently Subaru sells its 2.0-liter 4-cylinder boxer diesel in Europe where it makes 145-hp and 258 ft-lbs of torque and gets around 34/41 mpg (city/highway) in vehicles like he Forrester 2.0D.

41 mpg in an AWD mid sized SUV, nobody would want that........

darius
03-09-2012, 05:21 PM

south america ?

all lhd there

rwm1273
03-09-2012, 05:22 PM
south america ?

all lhd there

May be an option.

Waytec
03-09-2012, 07:51 PM
There is another issue with our fuel. Toyota has said if NA increases the quality of diesel fuel it would bring the Hilux here. We run so far behind Europe as it comes to diesel vehicles it is not funny. the governments here made the engine manufactures modify there engines to be more clean running for tear 4. Where in Europe they did that 10 years ago and now they have made the fuel company's refine the fuel even more.
Until the oil companies are made to change really cool fuel efficient diesel cars and trucks are not coming.

600twin
03-09-2012, 08:37 PM
A co-worker who lives in New Zealand and a Ford Ranger diesel

http://www.ford.co.nz/servlet/Satellite?c=DFYPage&cid=1248889219792&pagename=wrapper&site=FNZ

I have seen Toyota Hilux diesel LHD while working in Cuba, the Schlumberger guys had one. You may be able to find a Japanese one that was marked for export. I have spent a bit of time working there and you will see alot of lifted land cruisers going around, i have a Japanese type autotrader and there were a ton of them for sale and not that expensive either. I would like to have a Mitsubishi Delica turbo diesel, and they have made some LHD for export.

magnummike
03-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Hey... that's what I was looking into a couple of months ago.
I contacted a bunch of VW dealerships across southern Ontario to try to buy a 2012 VW AMAROK and they all said no....Funny thing was a new 2012 VW Amarok was spotted at a dealership in southern Ontario!!!

The gas companies won't let these vehicles in the country. VW Amarok is available in Mexico!

My 1991 Toyota 4x4 (tacoma style) with 7' box used to get 31 M.P.G.!!!
My 1999 Toyota 4x4 Four runner used to get 25 M.P.G.!!!
Why is my new 2012 Toyota Tundra 4X4 getting 13.5 M.P.G.!!!

Take a good look, vehicles are worse on gas than they were years ago!!

I am buying a 2012 VW GOLF Wagen TDI...40 to 60 M.P.G. before the gas companies put a kibosh on this super fuel efficient vehicle.

As for Toyota Hylux....Toyota refuses to import them to North America because of their huge PRIUS fleet.
The 4x4 HYLUX has the potential to achieve the same gas mileage as a PRIUS....why would you buy a PRIUS when you can get the same mileage with a 4x4 TRUCK!!

GAS COMPANY CONSPIRACY.....gas prices go down in the fall so everyone can afford to heat their homes....then goes up in spring to gouge people driving around......it'll skyrocket this spring because it was an extremely mild winter and they didn't make as much $$$$ as usual!!!

JETDUDE
03-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Do you know where they imported these from? Or were they converted to LHD? I have thought many times about importing a Hilux, but all the ones I have seen were RHD from Japan.

Lhd hilux are sold in Vietnam and Cambodia . Made in Thailand

Rod1960
03-09-2012, 11:24 PM

http://www.ford.co.nz/servlet/Satellite?c=DFYPage&cid=1248889219792&pagename=wrapper&site=FNZ

Good looking truck and another good example of what I'm talking about.

rwm1273
03-10-2012, 09:33 AM

I have seen Toyota Hilux diesel LHD while working in Cuba, the Schlumberger guys had one. You may be able to find a Japanese one that was marked for export. I have spent a bit of time working there and you will see alot of lifted land cruisers going around, i have a Japanese type autotrader and there were a ton of them for sale and not that expensive either. I would like to have a Mitsubishi Delica turbo diesel, and they have made some LHD for export.

From my experience, the Ford Ranger does not stand up as well as the HiLux. In Chad, ESSO has many of the Rangers, as well as the Toyota model 70 and 100, and many HiLux's. The Rangers are always in the shop for repairs, as they don't seem to handle the rough roads as well.

fordtruckin
03-10-2012, 10:10 PM
There is another issue with our fuel. Toyota has said if NA increases the quality of diesel fuel it would bring the Hilux here. We run so far behind Europe as it comes to diesel vehicles it is not funny. the governments here made the engine manufactures modify there engines to be more clean running for tear 4. Where in Europe they did that 10 years ago and now they have made the fuel company's refine the fuel even more.
Until the oil companies are made to change really cool fuel efficient diesel cars and trucks are not coming.

I remember in Europe in the 90s fuel was already $1 Liter. And everyone here complains about it being in the $.90-1.20 range. What is it going for right now in Europe? Just food for thought...

cranky
03-11-2012, 01:17 AM
Actually i know a quirky kinda guy who got someone in the auto business to get him a used Hilux diesel motor and trans from Japan which he put in his long box reg. cab very old ranger. That thing runs for ever on a tank.

My brother up in Alaska had one of the dealerships bring in a used gas engine for a old beater Jap van he had. Cant remember model. That thing now has about 500000 miles on it with second motor. No body left but still running. It was cheaper to do it that way than try to rebuild the existing motor.

Anyway i guess in Japan you can only put so many klms. on your vehicle motor and then have to replace the motor or rebuild. Guess you can pickup all kinds of used motors for cheap if you know someone in the export auto business.

There's an outfit i heard of in either Stoney Plain or the Grove who are in the business of importing fast lil cars from Japan(models we dont get here) if one was really serious im guessing they could get a used Hilux in for who ever was serious about one.

Hjortejeger
03-11-2012, 06:40 AM
@ fordtruckin, the fuel is $2,60 liter.

Rod1960
04-27-2012, 10:33 AM
I was at Southgate VW yesterday getting some service work done and was talking to one of the salesmen there about the Amarok. As fate would have it, the District Sales Manager overheard our conversation and was quite happy to tell me that the 2015 TDI Amarok will be available in Canada. The engines will be built in Mexico and final assembly will be done at one of three new facilities in Tennessee. Price point is expected to be around $40,000.00.

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo106/sigp226rfan/Volkswagen-Amarok-Canyon-concept-photo-3.jpg
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo106/sigp226rfan/Volkswagen-Amarok-2011-1-590x442.jpg

fordtruckin
04-27-2012, 10:51 AM
40K for a small truck is a bit to much imo. Hell I can get a really nice leathered out F150 ecoboost for 40K.

Rod1960
04-27-2012, 01:42 PM
40K for a small truck is a bit to much imo. Hell I can get a really nice leathered out F150 ecoboost for 40K.

What would you pay for a quad cab, diesel, 4x4?

bb356
04-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Those are handsome lookin truck's ........... black would look cool !!!
Thank's for posting 1960 !!!

Rod1960
04-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Those are handsome lookin truck's ........... black would look cool !!!
Thank's for posting 1960 !!!

You're welcome.

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo106/sigp226rfan/2011-Volkswagen-Amarok-Black-Side-800x600.jpg

bb356
04-27-2012, 02:15 PM
You're welcome.

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo106/sigp226rfan/2011-Volkswagen-Amarok-Black-Side-800x600.jpg

Thank's ........... with the light bar package and some cooler rim's and tire's she would look pretty sweet !!!

elnino54
04-27-2012, 05:10 PM
The VW truck is a very nice looking truck and bigger than you might think. I saw a couple in Costa Rica this year and had to do a double take...WTH was that I thought, coulda swore I saw a VW badge on it the first time....not sure on the price down there though.... L200 Mitsubishi is another very nice truck with a diesel to boot....

sewerrat
04-27-2012, 06:59 PM
The VW truck is a very nice looking truck and bigger than you might think. I saw a couple in Costa Rica this year and had to do a double take...WTH was that I thought, coulda swore I saw a VW badge on it the first time....not sure on the price down there though.... L200 Mitsubishi is another very nice truck with a diesel to boot....

Same here saw some in Costa Rica as well they look pretty sweet, and yes those Mitsubishi trucks are good lookers too,I like any truck with a diesel, even the nissan, hyundai, and kia's all come with diesel in Central America.
The best we could do is buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 3.0L diesel, and they get great milage.

Dfreeman
04-27-2012, 07:09 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/19/cummins-developing-four-cylinder-diesel-for-nissan-titan/

Read this a couple weeks ago...

Erik
04-27-2012, 09:33 PM

Doesn't it follow the commonwealth? Sub saharan Africa was largely British and follows left-hand traffic, everywhere else drives on the right with a few conversions here and there.

Erik
04-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Another small-mid size diesel truck is the Ford Ranger. Made in Thailand and found in such places as South Africa, Brazil and, I think, Australia. Again a shame we can't have them here.

Erik
04-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Another small-mid size diesel truck is the Ford Ranger. Made in Thailand and found in such places as South Africa, Brazil and, I think, Australia. Again a shame we can't have them here.

Oops didn't see the discussion on this. Yes, I have been witness to Ford Rangers
with problems.

Rod1960
04-27-2012, 10:42 PM
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/02/ford-ranger-wildtrak-debuts-at-2011-geneva-motor-show.html

The Ranger Wildtrak is Ford's top-of-the-line midsize truck for markets outside North America. It's a stylish version of all-new Ranger "T6" that goes on sale later this year.

There's no official word yet on the Ranger Wildtrak's powertrain, though we expect there's a five-cylinder 3.2-liter diesel with a robust 197 horsepower and 346 pounds-feet of torque under its hood. It's rated to tow up to 7,385 pounds (3,350 kilograms).

Mike_W
04-28-2012, 12:17 AM
Don't know if it has been mentioned but Nissan is coming out with a diesel Titan. Engine is being made by cummins.

hassihand
04-28-2012, 06:45 AM
Took this pic 5 min ago...just a few of our fleet of hundreds. Hilux for light duty and small deliveries, Corollas for office staff and paved roads (in town only), and Land Cruisers for crew trucks and field transport.

All RHD, all diesel, and of course all white, non-descript with very few having any company logos. Some days it's tough picking yours out of the crowd, as every company follows the same pattern...100's and 100's of white toyotas criss crossing and blending together.

Toyota rules the dunes (at least here anyway), but I have seen a few of the VW's kicking around lately. There are still a few Ford Rangers that haven't died yet, but literally every other domestic that has been brought in is now sitting in the scrap pile.

One other that i haven't seen discussed here yet is Mahindra...pretty funky lookin pickups that seem to last forever.