PDA

View Full Version : Wood Question

thirty-30
03-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Anyone have a piece of polished wood that they're not using?

I'm looking for something about 8 inches by 8 inches, and 4 more pieces that are like 3 inches by 8 inches.

I can't seem to find anything that isn't absolutely exorbitant in price, don't really care about the type or color as long as it's polished and 'nice'

riden
03-09-2012, 01:32 PM
How hard is this to do yourself? Windsor Plywood sells hardwood.

Would you not end up having to cut the wood anyway, then you have to re-finish the edge?

Define polished?

project240
03-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Define polished?

What exactly do you mean by this? I've got at least a few offcuts of various species, but no idea what you mean by polished...

project240
03-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Also, how thick? 8"x8"x1"?

splitflame
03-09-2012, 03:05 PM
http://www.blackforestwood.com/

cutthroat666
03-09-2012, 03:14 PM
How hard is this to do yourself?

Are you seriously going to recommend that he go down to the basement and polish his own wood?

:sHa_sarcasticlol:

riden
03-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Are you seriously going to recommend that he go down to the basement and polish his own wood?

:sHa_sarcasticlol:

But it's ok for him to expect me to do it for him????????????????

Pudelpointer
03-09-2012, 03:26 PM
But it's ok for him to expect me to do it for him????????????????

Hahjahahahahhahaha

IBTL!

CaberTosser
03-09-2012, 06:39 PM
You can always try dumpster diving at woodworking shops. Real millwork places, not run of the mill cabinet shops where all you'll get is particleboard. And in referring to 'polished' are you meaning some of the dense and oily hardwoods that polish up naturally, or just something nicely sanded and given a few coats of tung oil or walnut oil?

I have a cabinetmaker making us some custom quartersawn white oak Art's and Craft's bathroom vanities and he's going to save me all his hardwood offcuts for my fireplace :).

4thredneck
03-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Why hasn't this gone totally off the tracks? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

thirty-30
03-09-2012, 07:59 PM
My problem is actually my location.

I'm 150-180 kilometers minimum from the nearest wood supply store, and I only want a little piece, so it is kind of a major trek to go into town just for that. I was sorta hoping someone had scraps from a leftover project I could emt a few bucks to drop in the mail for me :)

As for thickness, not particular, thinner the better, just using it to cover something as long as it meets the diameter/lengths I need.

Seriously, look up Fox Lake on an Alberta map. Fort V/High Level is the closest, and the roads are starting to get pretty bad with today's warmth.

thirty-30
03-09-2012, 08:00 PM
You can always try dumpster diving at woodworking shops. Real millwork places, not run of the mill cabinet shops where all you'll get is particleboard. And in referring to 'polished' are you meaning some of the dense and oily hardwoods that polish up naturally, or just something nicely sanded and given a few coats of tung oil or walnut oil?

I have a cabinetmaker making us some custom quartersawn white oak Art's and Craft's bathroom vanities and he's going to save me all his hardwood offcuts for my fireplace :).

Something nicely sanded and given a few coats. Even some pieces of nice cedar would do it.

If I could get the supplies to do it myself right now, I would, but I figure there might be some scraps out there that fit hte bill :)

prairiecustom
03-09-2012, 08:18 PM
I will have a look in my shop tomorrow.Got lots of scraps from guitar tops.Might even have some flame maple

dale7637
03-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Fire me an email. I can probably round something upfor you.

riden
03-10-2012, 12:04 PM
My problem is actually my location.

I'm 150-180 kilometers minimum from the nearest wood supply store, and I only want a little piece, so it is kind of a major trek to go into town just for that. I was sorta hoping someone had scraps from a leftover project I could emt a few bucks to drop in the mail for me :)

As for thickness, not particular, thinner the better, just using it to cover something as long as it meets the diameter/lengths I need.

Seriously, look up Fox Lake on an Alberta map. Fort V/High Level is the closest, and the roads are starting to get pretty bad with today's warmth.

For what you are looking for, I say you are a hell of a lot farther away than that.

Kurt505
03-10-2012, 12:27 PM
I've got no wood but I'm curious what it is you want it for?

Pudelpointer
03-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Fox Lake is the second most isolated community I have been to. First is Paulatuk.

Good luck, I hope someone can help you out.