PDA

View Full Version : Hanna double murder

Ruger1022
03-09-2012, 06:44 PM
This is what we want to see in the paper,...
http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/03/09/charges-laid-in-hanna-double-murder

Should have offed himself too....

http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1297243038085_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x
http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1331086441192_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x
http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1331086439448_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

airbornedeerhunter
03-09-2012, 06:53 PM
A true ambassador for responsible firearms ownership! What a tool.

Twisted Canuck
03-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Great....just great. :(

More ammunition for the gun haters to use. As if the gun did the deed without the hand on the trigger.

dale7637
03-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Tall tree... Short rope.
Nuff said.

eastcoast
03-09-2012, 08:16 PM
amazing how they can find these pictures so fast.

Ruger1022
03-09-2012, 08:19 PM
amazing how they can find these pictures so fast.

Apparently this was just the tip of the iceberg of pictures on his Facebook for everyone to see....:sign0161:

leeaspell
03-09-2012, 08:19 PM
I read this earlier tonight. A gun fanatic who was known for suicidal thoughts. Someone should have said something earlier.

Lefty-Canuck
03-09-2012, 08:21 PM
...someone screened his application for a license....right??

...people like this give the rest of us responsible folks a REALLY bad rep.....

LC

leeaspell
03-09-2012, 08:22 PM
http://m.edmontonsun.com/2012/03/09/two-dead-in-hanna-shooting

Here's the Edmonton sun version. It's a little more detailed. There we go. posted the wrong one first time
On

HANNA -- A man known for his love of guns is in police custody after two people, including his father, were found dead in this Central Alberta town.

Hanna RCMP on Thursday were called to a residence where they encountered a man who claimed he killed two people in the town 215 km northeast of Calgary.

Cops found two people, a man and a woman, dead inside.

RCMP have not identified the victims or the man accused of killing them, but family members have identified one of the victims as Bruce Rideout and the suspect as Rideout's son, Curtis, 24.

The other victim has been identified only as a female friend of the suspect's father.

Curtis's mother, Geri Seely, was notified Thursday morning by her son's girlfriend, who said Curtis had been drinking with his father and the other victim on Wednesday night when things took a deadly turn.

"We're still in shock, we don't know what's going on," said Seely.

Her son is now in custody for the death of her ex-husband and a woman.

Seely recalled the last conversation she had with her son about two weeks ago, characterizing his demeanour as that of an upbeat kid who was happy to be working closer to home after a stint in the oilpatch.

But recent postings on her son's Facebook account paint a very different picture of a man obsessed with guns and public musings of suicide.

"IF I WAS GONE WHO WOULD MISS ME? I goin downhill," he wrote on Feb. 19.

In a reply to a friend who suggested Jesus would miss him, Curtis wrote: "Jesus don't want me. I'm serious I will be gone soon see u all in hell. Not my mommy tho. Xoxoxoxo to my mom."

Curtis's mother said her son had been going through a rough patch, but said that last conversation suggested he had turned a corner, and was looking forward to an upcoming family reunion.

Dozens of photographs on Curtis's Facebook account reveal a man with an affinity for guns, something Seely said he inherited from his father.

She said her son and ex-husband had a good relationship, and would often hunt gophers together.

Hanna residents were stunned by news of the killings.

Mayor Mark Nikota said in the 15-plus years that he's lived in the community, there's never been an incident of this nature.

"Hanna is a peaceful, quiet community," he said. "It's an isolated incident for us. We have full confidence in the local RCMP to handle this situation and investigation."

RCMP Sgt. Patricia Neely said no names will be officially released until the autopsies are completed.

She indicated that at this time no charges have been laid against the man who turned himself in.

Hanna is 200 km northeast of Calgary.

greylynx
03-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Thanks LS. I changed my post.

prairiecustom
03-09-2012, 08:30 PM
The company he worked for was at my moms place today thawing out her sewer line :scared0018:
I knew the father,never met the kid.I was also told that it was his girl friend who was the other victim.
Was told a few more things but I don't think it would be appropriate to post them on here:scared:

bezner
03-09-2012, 08:45 PM
thats a bit of shock to here for me..i moved to canmore from castor you dont here of stuff like that.....it just dont happen out their...the worst thing to ever happen that way was nickleback

BDL
03-09-2012, 09:18 PM
If you look closely at the picture in the sun of him holding the rifle there is an orange cap on the end of the rifle meaning its air soft or a toy. Also i hate how the front of the paper says "suspect loves guns" especially when at the time when the paper was printed the RCMP had not released any details about the homicides. for all they knew there may not have been any firearms involved.

Big Daddy Badger
03-09-2012, 10:29 PM
So... how long till the whole "black guns" thing gets brought up again?

D-bag wannnabees love em and it makes it really hard for the responsible recreational shooters to defend their ownership when these clowns pose with them then grab headlines by killing someone.

Great.....1 step foreword and 2 steps back.

Albertadiver
03-09-2012, 10:30 PM
I'm not active on CGN, I would imagine he'd have been a member there...

Rocky7
03-09-2012, 11:15 PM
If you look closely at the picture in the sun of him holding the rifle there is an orange cap on the end of the rifle meaning its air soft or a toy. Also i hate how the front of the paper says "suspect loves guns" especially when at the time when the paper was printed the RCMP had not released any details about the homicides. for all they knew there may not have been any firearms involved.

Right.

Funny how they never say "Suspect loves cars" when some dufus wipes out a family on the highway.

Or maybe "Suspect loves knives" after a stabbing.

Well, you get my drift....

...someone screened his application for a license....right??

...people like this give the rest of us responsible folks a REALLY bad rep.....

LC

Why is there a jump to blame anyone else? He was a bad unit. It happens. It'll happen again. Sometimes it can be predicted, maybe, but often it can't. Sometimes the victims could have survived, or some of them, if they were armed themselves. Sometimes not.

He doesn't give anyone a bad rep. Gun Zombies and the MSM try to do that. Why? Because they are Gun Zombies. And we just need to decide whether to bow our heads and go along with it. Reject it! It is dumb and it is irrational.

I own a Dodge dually. When I read about someone who caused a fatality with his Dodge dually, I don't feel bad. I don't ask: "Who sold him the Dodge? Didn't they do a background check?" I don't feel that my reputation as a Dodge owner is affected one iota....because it isn't. So, when some Dodge haters try to throw that in my face to sell restrictions on Dodge duallys, I chuck it right back at them and in no uncertain terms.

We as gun owners have nothing to feel bad about.

Furthermore, to the extent that we think real progress on stupid gun control laws is only possible if killings with a gun never happen again, we might as well give up because that fantasy has not happened since guns were invented. And it's not going to happen. That's just the nature of humans. Some are bad units. If not the gun, then a knife. Or gasoline. Or a hammer. Or whatever. We can't go around trying to regulate or ban everything that can be used by one human to kill another human. We can chase our tails on that one forever and we would make no more sense than when my dog chases his. And while we did that, killings would still happen. Some people are just bad units.

Lefty-Canuck
03-09-2012, 11:59 PM
My comment was mostly "tongue in cheek" Rocky7.....not jumping to blame anyone....the guy was a loose canon with a screw loose no one to blame but him....

LC

sunsetrider2011
03-10-2012, 07:47 AM
The guy definately slipped his cracker and it turned out badly. Just as my buddy north of Consort Slipped his cracker a couple weeks ago and Shot his brother,, Still havent heard the complete story,,you get all kinds of specualtions and rumors, but truly, will all the facts come out? If the guy was slowly slipping his cracker then some one would of noticed and said something ,,however im sure there are a lot of times you just dont know and dont see the signs. peoples reactions to situation will differ in alot of areas to stress or the like. Some react badly some let it slide off their shoulders and move on. I think for the most part peopl have enough rational to deal appropriately with situations, however there is that 1% that react the way this guy did, A bad seed? yup i would agree especially with the postings and grandstanding with weapons on facebook, should have been noticed and then dealt with. How many of these guys slip under the radar? it part of society unfortunately.

Rocky7
03-10-2012, 08:19 AM
My comment was mostly "tongue in cheek" Rocky7.....not jumping to blame anyone....

LC

S'ok; it's the common reflex, even among gun owners. I'm just watching your back.:)

I hear far too many cries of regret, despair and frustration from gun owners who see "their" image being tarnished when a psycho uses a gun.

My honest reaction is quite different. In many of those cases I can see where the victim(s), or maybe one or two of them, might have had a chance if they themselves were allowed to carry a gun in the glove compartment or wherever. Hyenas and psychos will be with us always. The solution is not to disarm or crank down on guns owned by people who did nothing.

We don't know if this could have been headed off or not. From the sounds of it, I'd say not. I certainly don't want anybody reporting me for showing off a gun nor do I want to add to the already deep gun phobias, so we've got to be careful with that.

My guess is that we'll find a history of FAS. And maybe more. The way to reduce those problems requires decisions that are not politically correct and so it is easier to haul out the familiar whipping boy and give him a few lashes. We need to reject that role with absolute determination.

Big Daddy Badger
03-10-2012, 08:57 AM
The guy definately slipped his cracker and it turned out badly. Just as my buddy north of Consort Slipped his cracker a couple weeks ago and Shot his brother,, Still havent heard the complete story,,you get all kinds of specualtions and rumors, but truly, will all the facts come out? If the guy was slowly slipping his cracker then some one would of noticed and said something ,,however im sure there are a lot of times you just dont know and dont see the signs. peoples reactions to situation will differ in alot of areas to stress or the like. Some react badly some let it slide off their shoulders and move on. I think for the most part peopl have enough rational to deal appropriately with situations, however there is that 1% that react the way this guy did, A bad seed? yup i would agree especially with the postings and grandstanding with weapons on facebook, should have been noticed and then dealt with. How many of these guys slip under the radar? it part of society unfortunately.

Happens.
Sometimes folks just seem to make that one bad choice or lose it for just one day or one minute and... you end up with misery all around.

Had a pal go up in front of a judge once... and the judge just looked at him and asked "What happened? You have never been in trouble before but on that one night... in the space of 2 hours you went from being just an ordinary Joe to a guy that had leveled an RCMP officer... assaulted 2 others... wrecked a bar in Canmore... and involved yourself in a high speed chase through downtown Calgary during which you managed to damage 3 cruisers... wreck a light stand and right-off your own vehicle? You have no history of violence... no psychiatric history... you were a boy scout... you are by all accounts a good soldier....you follow the rules... you don't even have any speeding tickets on record... you belong to community organizations and do volunteer work in our spare time... so... what happened?"

Bottom line was... he just couldn't understand it himself... he'd pleaded no contest... and accepted his responsibility. It was a bad moment...a bad decision and then everything had just snowballed from there...

He got a suspended sentence... paid damages...a fine... and hasn't picked up so much as a parking ticket in the 20 years since that... so yeah... sometimes... you just don't know.

You're never going to be able to prevent or predict anomalies and the licensing system wasn't intended to....it was only intended to stop people that we already know are a disaster waiting to happen from legally obtaining a firearm. Even then it can't be expected to filter out anyone unless they have already been in a brush with the law or someone close to them upsets the apple cart and raises objections.

What do you want to bet that the victims themselves might have known he was bad tempered or a bit fantasy prone yet... chose not to rat him out?