PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Towing

OutwardBound
03-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Danni and I are looking at buying a new travel trailer, I have don't have a ton of expirence towing a trailer, but i know a bit any info on my setup would be appriciated.

The trailer is made by Pacific Coachworks, called the Tango Expedition 257BH. They are a pretty new company so i wondering if anyone owns a Tango if they have any likes or dislikes. They look like they are very good quality.

Our truck is a 2005 Chev Silverado 1500 4X4 with the 4.8L and 4:10 rear end. The trailer weighs 5200lbs full of water and propane, so it fits within the owners manual guidelines. Just wondering how the truck will pull the trailer and what kind of fuel milage one can expect.

Our truck does not have the trailer towing package, but it doesn't look like the package comes with an external transmission cooler. Just wondering If guys put an external one in or if the radiator is good enough.

Any comparison to the 4.6 Ford or smaller Dodge could also be useful.

Thanks Dustin

Mike H
03-04-2008, 09:27 PM
A tranny cooler is always a good idea when your pullin anything over a 4x8 dump run trailer lol.

Even though the unit is within the capacity of the factory limits, I always suggest a min. of a 3/4 ton fo pulling anything, or at the very least, throw a set of bags in your 1/2 ton. It makes a world of difference. We chipped our 3/4 ton and put bags in it, and it pulls like pullin nothin at all.

Why **** around.....go buy a dually with a diesel lol

Duk Dog
03-04-2008, 09:37 PM
We went through the same learning curve process last year. We had started off with a Boler so it wasn't much of an issue initially, but we upgraded to a bigger trailer last year. What I learned from talking with various dealers was to try to not exceed 80% of your vehicles towing rating. They also said to allow for approx 1000 extra pounds of odds and ends over and above the dry weight of your trailer. Based on that I paid close attention to weights when deciding on our trailer. Vehicle wise we use a Tacoma and it does have the towing package.

rugatika
03-04-2008, 09:42 PM
You'll likely have to watch on warm days, (keep your rad cleaned out good) and your gas mileage will take a nose dive (2/3 to a half). I would definitely recommend a tranny cooler and trans guage. Those trannies are expensive. Avoid towing very far with full water tanks if you can help it.

mountainman
03-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Hi all,
Not to hijack this post, but in regards to towing. If I was to pull a bumper pull holiday trailer (approx. 7500lbs.) with my Toyota Tundra (rated at over 10,00lbs). Would I need stabilizer bars if pulling in B.C. Also, if a friend of mine had stabilizer bars for a F150, would they fit my Toyota?
Thanks for any info. I've got limited towing info. I didn't have to worry about this with my old truck camper.

Thanks,
MM

Duk Dog
03-04-2008, 10:27 PM
I've got sway bars with our trailer. They snap into your hitch then you lever a chain to snug them up onto a hook on the trailer frame. There are a number of chain links so you can adjust as required. I would think you would need to use them.

mountainman
03-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Hi Duk Dog,
Thanks for the fast reply. In regards to your sway bar, do you think it would fit other trucks? It sounds like a universal type of sway bar that is adjusted as needed (ie: for different trucks and lengths). My truck has a hidden hitch reciever in the back, that I slide a hitch into (like a reese hitch-not sure if that's the brand). I've got a buddy that's may be willing to lend me his trailer for a trip and he mentioned the sway bars to me. I'd sure like to get a trailer for my own, this might be a good time to 'try before you buy'.

Thanks,
MM

Duk Dog
03-05-2008, 06:18 AM
I'm not sure if they are universal or not. I think the bars actually have a weight/load rating, so there may be different ones. Your best bet would be to call one of the trailer or hitch stores to confirm.

bagwan
03-05-2008, 08:56 AM
Dustin, I believe you are at The bare minimum with the 4.8. It is rated to pull that kind of load but long term you may have down the road problems. Trans cooler is indeed necessary and sway bars are a plus. As is a receiver that takes the bars. The brackets on the trailer only take a few minutes to install. You will also need a brake controller in the cab and your truck may not be prewired for one. Service manager can advise. Proper receiver (about $400)
Controller (about 120) Wiring could be a bunch. If its prewired you buy a jumper cord that goes in the fuse box and you just connect the controller wires to the jumper. You may save if the trailer people throw in the hitch, sway bars, controller etc in as a package. Not trying to scare you off but they aren't cheap and safety is paramount. Another option is renting and trying one but you would still need the controller. Don't want to start a Toy -Chev argument but there are some good points on that post if you guys can afford a new truck and get the towing options built in. Gas mileage will suck no matter what you get.

ABwhitetail
03-05-2008, 09:24 AM
A tranny cooler is always a good idea when your pullin anything over a 4x8 dump run trailer lol.

Even though the unit is within the capacity of the factory limits, I always suggest a min. of a 3/4 ton fo pulling anything, or at the very least, throw a set of bags in your 1/2 ton. It makes a world of difference. We chipped our 3/4 ton and put bags in it, and it pulls like pullin nothin at all.

Tranny Coolers are definitely Cheap insurance....especially on those warm summer days....

When considering the towing capacity of a truck...the biggest deciding factors are engine, tranny, and gearing....a 3/4 ton with the same engine, tranny, and gearing as a 1/2 ton will in most cases actually tow less...

If your truck has a soft rear suspension, and your trailer squats it a bit, giving an un level stance, air bags or extra springs definitely help....but won't allow you to "pull" any better or easier...

What I learned from talking with various dealers was to try to not exceed 80% of your vehicles towing rating. They also said to allow for approx 1000 extra pounds of odds and ends over and above the dry weight of your trailer.

I think this is bang on....Just because your rated to pull 10000, shouldn't mean you should buy a 10000lb trailer....you can easily put 1000lb of beer, I mean gear, in there, so I would make sure your well within the specs....(80% is a good #)....that way I think your limiting the excessive wear and tear...besides, its a much better feeling taking the trailer on the road knowing your vehicle is more than capable of passing and handling...vs....just barely capable..

Hi all,
Not to hijack this post, but in regards to towing. If I was to pull a bumper pull holiday trailer (approx. 7500lbs.) with my Toyota Tundra (rated at over 10,00lbs). Would I need stabilizer bars if pulling in B.C. Also, if a friend of mine had stabilizer bars for a F150, would they fit my Toyota?
Thanks for any info. I've got limited towing info. I didn't have to worry about this with my old truck camper.

Thanks,
MM

Stabilizer bars attach to the trailer and the hitch insert. when adjusted properly they transfer weight from the rear axle of the vehicle to the front Axel. This evening out of Axel weights helps in control and breaking. If your going to BC, and have to stay within Axel ratings, stabilizer bars could mean the difference. but realistically if you are within the weight maximums for your vehicle, your rear axle shouldn't be over....but in terms of handling...stabilizer bars are a MUST in my opinion...again, just making your rig that much safer...

In regards to your sway bar, do you think it would fit other trucks? It sounds like a universal type of sway bar that is adjusted as needed (ie: for different trucks and lengths). My truck has a hidden hitch reciever in the back, that I slide a hitch into (like a reese hitch-not sure if that's the brand). I've got a buddy that's may be willing to lend me his trailer for a trip and he mentioned the sway bars to me. I'd sure like to get a trailer for my own, this might be a good time to 'try before you buy'.

Thanks,
MM

Stabilizers bars are only specific to the hitch insert. That being said though, they need to be adjusted specifically for the tow vehicle. If you were to borrow your bud's rig...you would definitely be able to use his hitch insert and stabilizers, but would have to adjust it for your specific vehicle....in terms of adjusting, your basically setting the hitch up so the trailer and truck all sit level, not nose or ass down....

Dustin, Trans cooler is indeed necessary and sway bars are a plus. As is a receiver that takes the bars. The brackets on the trailer only take a few minutes to install. You will also need a brake controller in the cab and your truck may not be prewired for one. Service manager can advise. Proper receiver (about $400)

Gas mileage will suck no matter what you get.

Again I agree, a trans cooler is a cheap investment to protect your vehicle, especially when it is 30 degrees... A brake controller is also a must...all the new holiday trailers have electric brakes, and for safety alone, that's good....but it also is a nice feeling stopping that trailer with ease....they are simple to install, especially if your vehicle is pre-wired....if it isn't, a good hitch shop will put one in quick...

Gas Mileage....unless you got a diesel...its going to suck when you pull....but in my opinion...who cares....trucks suck on gas in the first place...if you're worried about fuel, save the $$$ of a trailer and stay in a tent or hotel.....

I really enjoy my trailer....and have never regretted buying one, and will probably always have one.....

Renegade
03-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Hey CB, I have the exact same truck, same engine & gears, Mine has the trailer pkg that includes the tranny cooler and tow/ haul mode. We have been pulling an older 18' tandem trailer about 3500# and if I am going with the wind, it pulls in o/d fairly well. We have just bought anew 26' that weighs about 4400# dry. I expect I will pull it ok in "drive" but not o/d. Fuel consumption is not a concern when you are towing imho. A tranny cooler is a MUST for your rig, you will definitely overheat the tranny, especially at lower, stop & go speeds. Bagwan is right, the 4.8 is the bare min for towing, however I also use my truck to commute to work 44k one way. The biggest thing with towing a unit like this, is don't get in a hurry & be patient!

Dennis

Mike_W
03-05-2008, 09:48 AM
A 4.8 is a little small but doable. Last year we got a toy hauler with a 100 gallon water tank ....filled her right up and left .....bad choice!!! my suggestion would be to plan ahead and get water at the last possible town or place avalible 5500 lbs aint that much though if you have a 2005 does that have a tran temp guage? I don't know if you will need a tranny cooler.

I agree with the others that said the 3/4 ton diesel would be better but that not whats this is about. I have a 2007 1500 sierra with a 5.3 and it does the job would have got the 2500 diesel but my parkarde is too small and the truck would'nt fit.

Patience is the key take your time and use your drive not overdrive.

Off in the Bushes
03-05-2008, 09:51 AM
I agree with what Renegade said with be patient, I own a Dakota (318) and tow a small lite 5th wheel. I can't pass anything with it not even a gas station. But it does the job I am not the fastest. Towing into the mountains with the wind in southern alberta is a challenge at times, but I always make it.
One more thing that nobody mentioned so far is mirrors, make sure that then you are towing you can see past your trailer you may need to change lanes at some time, even if you are the slowest thing on the road.
I saw a Jimmy towing approx 20" trailer coming from Canmore and there was no way they see behind (no tow mirrors) and they where heading for Calgary, I could not imagine that problems that was going to cause.

crunchiespg
03-05-2008, 10:30 AM
it makes me laugh whenever i see people from canada/usa talking about towing. all saying you need a HUGE truck..

the rest of the world gets by towing big camping trailers with ordinary estate/station wagon type cars..

back in the UK we used to tow a 20 foot trailer with a 1.8l diesel VW passat. no problems at all.

maybe if the Gas in canada wasnt so weak then you could use smaller engines!! i mean premium is 92 octane?? the absolute lowest gas in europe is 95 octane. premium nearer 99..

Redfrog
03-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Lots of good advice here on towing.

The going is doable, tranny cooler , sway bars, take your time {You really won't have a choice here with that engine.}, it's always the stopping that is a big concern for me. Oh you will always stop, but it is important that you stop where you want to stop instead of where the rig decides to stop.:cry:

Brake control is absolutely a necessity.

Towing in B.C. with a half ton and a small engine is not going to be fun.
Someone already suggested renting a trailer and trying it out girst. Very good advice.

I have two 1/2 tons and one has your engine the other next size up.
Neither one is suitable to haul my stock trailer with more than two horses in it for long hauls.

I'm not saying you can't make it work, but everything is at it's max.with little margin for error.

Redfrog
03-05-2008, 10:55 AM
it makes me laugh whenever i see people from canada/usa talking about towing. all saying you need a HUGE truck..

the rest of the world gets by towing big camping trailers with ordinary estate/station wagon type cars..

back in the UK we used to tow a 20 foot trailer with a 1.8l diesel VW passat. no problems at all.

maybe if the Gas in canada wasnt so weak then you could use smaller engines!! i mean premium is 92 octane?? the absolute lowest gas in europe is 95 octane. premium nearer 99..

Cool!!!:D Wish I lived there!!! Of course it would be a long drive to Peace River hauling a trailer and driving a VW ****at. :lol:

How's the hunting in the U.K.? Elk? Antelope? Moose? OH well at least you got strong gas.:D

I'm kidding. You just can't see me smiling.:D

I had two hunters from Sweden here in Feb. for wolves, and they said the same thing you did about towing a trailer with a small vehicle. they di appreciate the extra room in the truck though. I guess it depends on what your requrements are. I loved the small diesel Toyota crew cabs in South Africa. Cheap to run and seemed to have lots of power.

JEHL75
03-05-2008, 01:34 PM
We bought a TT this year as well. The major things to watch for -
Make sure you do not exceed the GVWR of the tow vehicle and GVWR of the trailer.
A general rule of thumb. What ever the dry wieght of your trailer is add 1000 to 1200lbs for gear, propane water ect.That is what you will be towing give or take a few pounds.
Toung wieght.(hitch wieght) Loaded trailer hitch wieght is on average 12% percent of your trailer GVWR. If your trailer gvwr is 7000 lbs your hitch wieght will be around 840lbs using the 12% rule.
A wieght distribution hitch is a must. Also an anti sway divice such as a Reese dual cam anti sway if you dont want to end up all over the road in a good wind or when a smei passes you.
Also look at a decent Proportional Trailer Brake Control such as a prodigy.
Timed controlers are a little iffy depending on your trailer size.
A good web site to look at for trailer towing is http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm
It has alot of good advice from trailer towers around canada and the states.

crunchiespg
03-05-2008, 01:56 PM
Cool!!!:D Wish I lived there!!! Of course it would be a long drive to Peace River hauling a trailer and driving a VW ****at. :lol:

How's the hunting in the U.K.? Elk? Antelope? Moose? OH well at least you got strong gas.:D

I'm kidding. You just can't see me smiling.:D

I had two hunters from Sweden here in Feb. for wolves, and they said the same thing you did about towing a trailer with a small vehicle. they di appreciate the extra room in the truck though. I guess it depends on what your requrements are. I loved the small diesel Toyota crew cabs in South Africa. Cheap to run and seemed to have lots of power.
well thats the thing, toyota do an excellent 3.0l turbo diesel, which seems a lot better than any big gas engine. they have it in their Hilux trucks (which i think might just be the same as Tacomas (or one of the canadian toyotas) just with a different name) top gear the BBC car show drove one to the north pole.
i suppose the next few years will be the start to good diesels here in north america..

my last car was a 1.9 turbo diesel, 180+hp and nearly 300ft/lbs torque in a small hatchback. to get performance like that here id need 5.0L+

Andrzej
03-06-2008, 01:05 PM
My car in Poland was Fiat 126 P. Two cylinder 600 CC 21 HP engine and we went for vacations towing small hard top trailer.Two adults one child and one dog...
So years later moving West from Montreal I rented U-Hall trailer and every body was questioning my towing vehicle...Chev Cavalier with 2.0 l engine Twice as many cylinders..

Now I rather use my Tundra with brake controller, air suspension and stabilizer...

O and my pressure washer has more power then Fiat...:lol:

Andrew

mountainman
03-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Thanks again for the help ABwhitetail and Duk Dog. Looking forward to using a trailer this year. If this didn't pan out I'll be tenting. Which is o.k. with me but the Miss' and my two little Miss' I'm sure would appreciate a warm dry place to sit and pee. Me and boy, we'd be fine either way.

:)
Great to see this kind of helpful tips from fellow outdoorsmen.

MM

Duk Dog
03-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Danni and I are looking at buying a new travel trailer,

Thanks Dustin

Not sure exactly what you are after, but today I saw a Trail Cruiser for sale (private) on the west side of Blackfoot across from Blackfoot Motorsports and the car dealership there. Guessing 17 - 18' with the fold out tent end on the back of the trailer. They make a really nice looking trailer, and you see lots of them around.

http://www.trail-lite.com/trail-cruiser-recreational-vehicles.asp

CrowsnestGuy
03-16-2008, 01:50 PM
Just my 2 cents. I have a 27' Jayco, 4950 dry weight, and we pack light and my 2007 F150 Lariat with a Triton just gets by towing this on hilly terrain. With a head wind i barely make speed limit on the hi-way. So when looking for a trailer to match your truck maybe take into consideration what kind of towing you will be doing. For us we tow it once in the beginning of the season to a season spot and it sits there all year so having a bigger tow vehicle is not needed.

Just my 2 cents