PDA

View Full Version : Cutco Knives

Kelly & Beth
03-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Well we did it, was at the show and picked up a homemaker set +8 and also got the hunting knife with the double d, filleting knife, scissors and cutting board. The price is high but was amazed with the demonstration.

Any one else there purchase these knives and love them?? Now we just wait the 2 weeks to get them.

Any input would be great

Rancid Crabtree
03-11-2012, 07:10 PM
You won't be dissapointed they are great.

Kanonfodder
03-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Well we did it, was at the show and picked up a homemaker set +8 and also got the hunting knife with the double d, filleting knife, scissors and cutting board. The price is high but was amazed with the demonstration.

Any one else there purchase these knives and love them?? Now we just wait the 2 weeks to get them.

Any input would be great

We all carry the hunting knives and have the fillet knife as well

Albertadiver
03-11-2012, 07:22 PM
I have the hunting knife. LOVE IT!

sprinklerdog
03-11-2012, 07:58 PM
We have the complete kitchen set and everyone of those knives get used. I also have hunting and filleting knives as well.
The cheese knife was one we got as a gift and we get a lot of comments on that when it's used while we entertain. We have gifted a few of those to family members, always a big it.
Did you get the pull through sharpener. If not, it's worth getting. It really helps keep the edge on the staright blades.
My only knock on them is I don't like to use the larger knives if the handles or my hands are wet. Other than that, great knives.

Geo

wynyard
03-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Excellent knives and excellent sharpening service as well. I put one knife in a bleach solution (recommended if concerned about chronic wasting) and developed a rust blemish. They replaced the knife, no questions asked.

roger
03-11-2012, 08:14 PM
i got a couple hunter types with the saw tooth pattern..im kinda on the fence with that design.i was thinking it might be 'better' with a half and half sawtooth near the tang and regular blade nearer the tip.

im just gonna ship it off for a resharp.
edit*http://www.cutco.ca/products/product.jsp?itemGroup=5725

i see its done already

Ridgehunter
03-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Used a Cutco on my moose last season. They really hold an edge well.

Alberta Bigbore
03-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Ive always been meaning to buy and try the Cutco knife with the D edge and blaze orange handle....but each time i pick one up at the boat show i look over it and put it down lol

riden
03-11-2012, 08:50 PM
I have heard crazy stories about Cutco, a knife holding in it's edge through several animals, sharpening them years apart, guides using one a whole season.

I find it hard to believe.

Comments...............

thumper
03-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Bigbore - I know what you mean - when you pick one up, the blaze orange hunting knife feels kinda light and cheap, not substantial enough to warrant the price. But when you do get one - there's no turning back!
It certainly isn't a thing of beauty - but they sure get the job done. A great investment.

We have a few of the kitchen knives and the great cheese knife, and I use the little pocket knives. The only problem we've found is that the kitchen knife handles aren't too friendly for seniors and others with arthritic hands. They're roundish, and a little slippery - but they cut real well.

Mickey
03-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Mom got me and the missus a set for Christmas. Excellent knives.

beerhunter
03-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Fillet knife with orange handle, hunting knife with orange handle, hunting knife with pearl handle and double d edge. I think that knife is on its 2nd moose and 5th deer. Have a couple in the kitchen. I'm cheap and they are worth every penny.

Albertadiver
03-11-2012, 09:36 PM
I have heard crazy stories about Cutco, a knife holding in it's edge through several animals, sharpening them years apart, guides using one a whole season.

Comments...............

I did 3 deer last year, and one this year. Hasn't seen a sharpener yet. I have the serrated blade. If I were to do it again, I'd get the standard blade.

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/albertadiver/Fav%20Hunting%20Pics/IMG_0406Large.jpg

Lefty-Canuck
03-11-2012, 09:37 PM
I did 3 deer last year, and one this year. Hasn't seen a sharpener yet. I have the serrated blade. If I were to do it again, I'd get the standard blade.

Nothing a grinder can't fix :)

LC

Kelly & Beth
03-11-2012, 09:45 PM
I got the large cheese knife as well. So if we bought the set we got $350 in free product so we ended up with 3 knives, cutting board and scissors with the holder to put on the wood block so they sit on top. It also comes with a cutting board and the sharpner. I thought good deal

Beth

Kanonfodder
03-11-2012, 09:51 PM

Comments...............

We have broken thru a elk pelvis with one...gone thru several elk...chipped the blade, got sent a new one...well worth it

HunterDave
03-11-2012, 10:14 PM

It might be true with the serrated edged knives but not with the straight edge one that I have. It holds an edge pretty good but after skinning 2 or 3 deer it starts to get dull. The good thing about it is that it sharpens quicker than any knife I've ever had. One you start to feel it getting a little dull, a few slides on a steel and she's as sharp as ever.

The steel is very hard and brittle. I was removing the lower legs off of a deer like I usually do with my Buck.....cut around the leg and give it a couple of wacks to chip the bone and snap it off........and several good chunks of blade chipped. I know someone else that it happened to. Both of us mailed them back with money for the return shipping and we got new replacement knives.

Bottom line for me......if you only take one knife hunting don't chose a Cutco, it's too fragile IMO. It makes a great skinning and de-boning knife but it'd be a poor choice for a general purpose hunting knife. Having to sharpen a knife a little more is better than having one that's going to break.

magoonpointboy
03-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Got a couple in the kitchen. Love them. After reading this string, may just have to order the hunting knife.

dadof5
03-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Great Knives. Got a set in the kitchen and one on my belt. Not disappointed!

omega50
03-12-2012, 03:28 AM
My son was selling them for awhile to earn extra money for university.

I got roped into a sympathy/parent guilt purchase of a kitchen set. Sat in the closet for a year and then I gifted them to my step-daughter who loved getting a knife set that fits her small hands.

I got the folding hunting knife as a gift and will only use it if no one is watching.

Cheap and plastic-y (new word)

roger
03-12-2012, 03:38 AM

Comments...............

yup, i took a new one to africa with us in 09, it was used on nine of ten plains game animals collected. then a couple wt's since.
the DD points are showing some abuse, im just shipping it back for a tune up for 2012 season.

xxclaro
03-12-2012, 08:50 PM
My parents had some cutco knives, and I've had a guy a work try to sell me some repeatedly. I'm not buying. With simple things like knives, a little scientific research goes a long way. There is nothing magical about Cutco knives. They are stamped from 440A stainless, not one of the top of the line steels, and not forged. It is a good enough steel, used in more economy type blades.
As for the double D edge, you can keep sawing away with it even after it is dull, so it seems like it still has an edge. I much prefer a straight edge that I can keep razor sharp.
I've used plenty of cheaper knives, like Buck, that hold a decent edge for a decent time. I don't expect them to perform like a true high quality knife, but I also don't expect to pay the same price either. In my opinion, for the price you can buy a lot more knife than Cutco.
As far as the free sharpening goes, if you know how to sharpen a knife(and really every sportsman should) you've saved yourself maybe 10 minutes often less if you keep it touched up. Not worth the hassle of sending it off and waiting for it back,IMO. In short, I think they're in the same class as most of the stuff door-to-door guys sell. Tons of hype, little substance.

CNP
03-12-2012, 10:58 PM
It might be true with the serrated edged knives but not with the straight edge one that I have. It holds an edge pretty good but after skinning 2 or 3 deer it starts to get dull. The good thing about it is that it sharpens quicker than any knife I've ever had. One you start to feel it getting a little dull, a few slides on a steel and she's as sharp as ever.

The steel is very hard and brittle. I was removing the lower legs off of a deer like I usually do with my Buck.....cut around the leg and give it a couple of wacks to chip the bone and snap it off........and several good chunks of blade chipped. I know someone else that it happened to. Both of us mailed them back with money for the return shipping and we got new replacement knives.

Bottom line for me......if you only take one knife hunting don't chose a Cutco, it's too fragile IMO. It makes a great skinning and de-boning knife but it'd be a poor choice for a general purpose hunting knife. Having to sharpen a knife a little more is better than having one that's going to break.

X 2 on Dave`s bottom line

The Bit Runner.
03-12-2012, 11:17 PM
You get what you pay for, We have the complete set with me having both hunting knives. Love them, I do like the smooth blade over the other one but i did 2 bull elk 1 bull moose and a half dozzen deer in the last 3 years and still have not sparpened it, Sending it in for a sharping this year, Great knives.

mrs
03-12-2012, 11:28 PM
ive had a cutco filet knife. butcher knife and steak knife set for 9 years.
.1 the filet knife is ok but not better than any other filet knife i've ever owned even much cheaper ones.
.2 the steak knives are pretty decent
.3 the butcher knife is garbage, the only reason i have not thrown it out is because i payed so much money for it, it sits in the bottom of a drawer.

the cutco brand of knives are way to expensive for their quality or usefulness
you can buy pretty decent knives for way less and get just as much use from them!

moosemad
03-12-2012, 11:40 PM
I've got the drop point hunting knife with orange handle. Been thru a moose and about 5 or 6 deer, just sent it off two weeks ago for a resharpen. Really like it and would reccommend it to anyone. The orange handle is a bonus, easy to locate when you lay it down when gutting.
Price wise I didn't think was bad either, about $100, if you buy two you get a free one.

Kelly & Beth
03-13-2012, 08:05 AM
We got the whole kitchen set and threw in the hunting and filet ones. None of the ones in the kitchen set you can sharpen on your own. I have read lots of reviews and many people still have them 50 years later. Time will tell I guess.

LOL

Chomack
03-13-2012, 08:31 AM
My parents have had a Cutco kitchen set for about 18 years and we used the steak knives for almost every dinner. I loved how sharp they were and the D edge works really well. Mom just sent the whole set in to be resharpened. They are expensive but work great. The sharpener works great on the straight edge and the bigger chef and butcher knives are excellent.
The scissors cut through ANYTHING. They have a micro serrated edge which is awesome, and as a teenager I cut almost everything with those. I remember looking at the catalog every year and wondering how good the hunting knives were. I guess I will order one.
But definitely look at getting the scissors when you order a hunting knife. It will keep the Boss happy. :sHa_shakeshout:

dwrowell
03-13-2012, 06:07 PM

Comments...............

People do tend to exaggerate. I have several good knives, but my two Cutco hunting knives are by far my favorite, because they are so easy to get back to "sharp" after using them. I go through an elk with two Cutcos and they need a quick sharp up about half way through. I send them away to Cutco to be sharpened for free every year, along with my kitchen Cutco stuff.

An easy-to-keep-sharp knife depends on a good angle and a good mix of steel and carbon. Cutco does it all well. I am still not a Double-D man, though, except for in my kitchen. I love the Double-D for cutting partially thawed elk meat that I am getting ready to grind. Good for cutting tomatoes, too.