PDA

View Full Version : What's the best on Demand Water Heater ?

Springer
03-11-2012, 07:27 PM
OK we are definitely tired with the constant tripping of the Hot Water and trying to maintain this Tekagi on Demand Hot water heater.

Looking for some brands that are reliable and dependable so we can just turn on the tap and get Hot water every time. This would have to run the in floor heating as well.

Oh yeah and maybe a dealer/installer in central Alberta.

Thanks.

flyguyd
03-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Ive got a Rinnai and i like it alot. Had it about a year and a half now and no complaints. I would think you would need a commercial sized unit to run your infloor heating as well as everything else though. Just my 2 cents

ksteed17
03-11-2012, 08:33 PM
None! Ha ha. I hate working on them but they are getting better. If it was me I'd go either rheem or Navien with rheem being my first choice.

jamhead
03-11-2012, 08:38 PM
I have had good results with the Rinnai's I have installed, not so much with Navien's. Can't say anything about any of the other brands, as I have not done much of anything with them. Some manufacturers will reduce their warranty if you are doing space heating with them, so be sure to ask about that when you are making your selection.

What area of central AB are you in?

jamhead
03-11-2012, 08:40 PM
It is probably worth it to install water treatment in front of them, as the heat exchanger tends to plug up with the sediment in the water (even municipal systems) and even with a softener I still tell people to flush them once a year with vinegar.

Best way to tell if you need a softener for sure is to do a water sample if you haven't already.

FCLightning
03-11-2012, 09:41 PM
I know three places that are running Takagi units without a hitch.
I have a Baxi unit (this is the current model http://www.wallhungboilers.com/prod_baxi_condensing_380.html )
It heats 2100 sq. ft plus a double car garage with a combination of radiators and infloor heating as well as supplying domestic hot water for a family of four. The only glitch it has had is frosting on the intake air.
The biggest problem with any brand of this type of unit is not the technology or the mechanical unit, but rather finding someone who actually knows how to install one properly.

Springer
03-11-2012, 10:40 PM
I sure appreciatte your honest knowledge everyone ,Thanks.
If i had the room i think i would go with a new Hot water heater but the venting etc currently would be pretty difficult.
I will check out the brands suggested.

Oh and Jamhead i am in Red Deer.

Ksteed you have offered my advice before on the Takagi and troubleshooting and it seemed to work for awhile but we never know when we will or wont have Hot water. Pretty crappy for a 6 yr old house and dealing with hot water issues still. this is also the second Takagi since living here.

Thanks again and hopefully i get a good honest installer.

roger
03-12-2012, 12:10 AM
i will be putting one in this summer too,
was hoping to hit the red deer home show and scoop a after-show special:sHa_shakeshout:

so i am planning to heat propelyne glycol in this unit and use a plate exchanger to heat domestic water indirectly as required. In theory, i dont have to treat the 'boiler' water. when performance falls off from scaling, I sacrifice a $300 plate exchanger or two, instead of treating a $5K boiler. the plate exchanger I have now transfers about 95% of its value..
might have to have a DCVA backflow preventer.
lets see what the codes or specs agree or disagree with what i want to do.also it is only for supplimental heat in the slab so if it falls behind during the real cold stuff...its no biggy.
hmmm!

CaberTosser
03-12-2012, 12:43 AM
i will be putting one in this summer too,
was hoping to hit the red deer home show and scoop a after-show special:sHa_shakeshout:

so i am planning to heat propelyne glycol in this unit and use a plate exchanger to heat domestic water indirectly as required. In theory, i dont have to treat the 'boiler' water. when performance falls off from scaling, I sacrifice a $300 plate exchanger or two, instead of treating a $5K boiler. the plate exchanger I have now transfers about 95% of its value..
might have to have a DCVA backflow preventer.
lets see what the codes or specs agree or disagree with what i want to do.also it is only for supplimental heat in the slab so if it falls behind during the real cold stuff...its no biggy.
hmmm!

Roger: If you're running glycol it will have to be an RP backflow preventor rather than a DCVA, or simply do what I prefer and use a tank feeder and not have any potable water hookups to risk cross contamination in the first place. Then it doesn't have to be tested annually ( for those in municipalities that register and require it). I'm an AWWA licensed backflow tester. The feeder tanks don't allow for system dilution as does a water hookup, and you can monitor if there has been a leak/or system top-up event by marking the tank level ( I use tape so it doesn't get cluttered with jiffy marker over time)

http://www.axiomind.com/?gclid=CNaju4Lg4K4CFQJdhwodHXESXw

Knownonscents
03-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Roger: If you're running glycol it will have to be an RP backflow preventor rather than a DCVA, or simply do what I prefer and use a tank feeder and not have any potable water hookups to risk cross contamination in the first place. Then it doesn't have to be tested annually ( for those in municipalities that register and require it). I'm an AWWA licensed backflow tester. The feeder tanks don't allow for system dilution as does a water hookup, and you can monitor if there has been a leak/or system top-up event by marking the tank level ( I use tape so it doesn't get cluttered with jiffy marker over time)

http://www.axiomind.com/?gclid=CNaju...FQJdhwodHXESXw

X2...

That being said, IMO to answer original post. Rinaii has been great(venting is costly though. Navien, havent had any issues... Bosch has been a little dissapointing( I like bosch products for the most part, except these). No real comments on other manufacturers. I strongly believe water treatment to be a necessity though. Take a sample.

tibetanpet
03-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Not happy with my Navien of late... I think I've narrowed it down to the igniter... I am assuming it's 'plug and play'...

Can the experts tell me where I can find Navien parts here in Edmonton area?

Springer
03-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Well we have decided were done with on demand Period. Going with a High efficiency hot water heater , 50 gal.
It was advised to put a water conditioner on ahead of the on demand . To many headaches and i dont think we save any money with the on demand especially with the extra parts i have bought for it etc.