PDA

View Full Version : Loaded or not?

Dennisg
03-12-2012, 09:40 AM
I was at the range the other day and I was sighting in my CVA WOLF black powder gun. I put the powder (whitehots) and projectile in the chamber but not the primer. I was going to take a shot but I notice they were waiting for me so they can change the targets. So I decided to wait. At this point I haven't put the primer (shotgun primer) in the seat, so I left the rifle on the bench. All of a sudden this guy start beaking at me saying I shouldnt leave my rifle loaded. I told him its not considered loaded till the primer is in. Anyways I believe I'm right since I ask this thing on this forum before. To avoid confrontation I had to remove the powder and projectile to make him and everyone happy. That's what happen when you're to nice, I should have made them wait.

sheephunter
03-12-2012, 09:43 AM
Legally it's not considered loaded without a cap/primer on. You can drive around with a charged rifle in your truck as long as there's no cap on it. I'd say you just ran into someone that wasn't familiar with muzzleloaders.

Lefty-Canuck
03-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Legally it's not considered loaded without a cap/primer on. You can drive around with a charged rifle in your truck as long as there's no cap on it. I'd say you just ran into someone that wasn't familiar with muzzleloaders.

X2....

Under section 3X of the Wildlife Act of Alberta it defines what "loaded" means....make a copy and put it up on your range bulletin board :)

LC

catnthehat
03-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Range rules are often very different from hunting laws.

Our range rules dicate that all guns must be open and racked while the range is closed, and no loading of fire arms - that means no loading at the bench behind the line as well, which inlcudes muzzle loaders, unless you are loading a detachable magazine.
If you had loaded the rifle at our range , they would have let you shoot it off then closed the range.
Cat