PDA

View Full Version : New Member Here!

K.J.P
03-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Hello, first of all I would like to say outdoorsmenforum.ca appears to be a great community and I am excited to be a part of it. I have been lurking for the past few months doing research on various topics!

Only a few months ago I obtained my PAL and purchased my first shot gun. I have had some exposure previously to rifles and shotguns. I purchased a Browning Maxus Stalker! It so far has been a great semi-automatic shotgun. I have been shooting clays every week now for the last month and have steadily been improving my accuracy. Hopefully my skills will be sharp enough to help me on my first hunting experience! Some friends and I have booked the Wessex Bird Farm late in April to do some pheasant hunting; here is where my questions begin!

What if any suggestions do you have to help me prepare for my first ever pheasant hunt? I have done some research and come to the conclusion that 4 or 5 shot is most commonly used to hunt pheasants and that it is a good idea to pattern my shotgun with and without the various chokes provided. This will give me a better idea of how effective my gun will be at various ranges and with different shells/loads. Does this sound like something that is worth doing? Is there any particular advice you can offer me in terms of shooting pheasants? I understand you have to be quick to take aim and fire; placing your shot just ahead of the bird. This sounds very straight forward but I am sure it is much more difficult than it sounds. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Secondly, I have been down to Wholesale Sports on a few occasions and talked to various gentlemen/women behind the counters. They all appear to have different opinions on what brands are the best. With that said, I am in the market for a .22 rifle and scope combination. This rifle will see heavy use (as I am sure most .22s do) in order to prepare me for hunting season and my eventual purchase of a center fire rifle. With a maximum budget of $1000.00 what do you suggest I purchase? At my last visit it was suggested I purchase a Leupold scope (as they have great warranties and servicing?) and a browning rifle. Unfortunately I can't remember the exact model suggested, it did have a very thick barrel (he mentioned it was a sporting barrel) and was on sale for roughly $4XX.XX. Also it was brought to my attention that the parallax on the Leupold scope (and some other models) can be adjusted so it could be used on other rifles purchased in the future.

I apologize in advance for the wall of text I have typed. :scared:
Thanks for all your input!

Cheers!

pseelk
03-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Welcome,you will get lots of good info on various topics here.

catnthehat
03-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Howdy and welcome!

Mnay hunters use 5 and 6 shot, yes.

Patterning your gun is very important to find out
A: where the gun actually shoots when you are looking at a target and
B: the best pattern that a particular choke will give you.

I tend to run improved cylinder and modifed chokes in my guns, and in a single barrlled sho5gun I would likely use a modified choke if it patterned well.

Pheasants rise, so you have to be in front and above the bird when it flushes, yes.
the best bet would be to get to a skeet or sporting clays club and learn to shoot your gun well before the season starts!

Two things that I stress is to keep the gun moving and concentrate on the beak of the bird only when you are swining, but do NOT aim at it.
if you do that you will surely stop your swing and be behind the bird!
Lots of time behind the gun wit a good coach will go far for you in the field, have fun!
Cat

shakeyleg02
03-12-2012, 12:29 PM
welcome to the forum ..lots of info here have fun

bagwan
03-12-2012, 12:29 PM
You're starting out with some good points. Patterning your chokes is the number 1 thing to do and 5-6 shot is good. You can use lead shot for up land. For a 22 check out the CZ line. Gun recommendations tend to be whatever one shoots but for around $500 there are many that are very good. Savage guys like theirs as well. Now that you're into clays you know the importance of swinging through the target. If you miss its generally tail feathers because you didn't follow through. Welcome to the forum and good luck in your hunting future. Whoops that durn Cat was sitting on his computer again.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-12-2012, 12:32 PM
Howdy And welcome .

fordtruckin
03-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Welcome to the Forum. I ain't a shotgun guy but I can help with the .22. First off are you looking for a Semi auto,bolt,lever? Personally I have a ruger 10/22. IMO one of the best and most popular semi auto .22's made,(once you get rid of the factory mag....lol) I figure they go for about 250-350$now. I've shot bolt action Savage and Marlin and I didn't care for them but their owners didn't mind. Also had a Single shot Coey that couldn't hit a dang thing with...granted it was the FIL's and was beat to hell...

K.J.P
03-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Thanks for all the warm welcomes and advice offered so far.

I will definitely make sure to pattern my gun before I go out. Hopefully Wholesale Sports will get some decent target sheets in before the end of April haha!

Hopefully with some more practice and all of the advice I receive here I will be able to bag a pheasant (or two, or more) my first time out! I am hunting with some other friends that have limited or no experience hunting birds. We are attempting to find someone with lots of experience to join us over the weekend (at a reduced rate, any takers?!) to take part in the weekend and coach us. Hopefully the owner and gentlemen working the dogs will be so kind as to offer some insight. Before I forget would it be worth it to head out to Wessex Farms and purchase a bird or two before our April excursion to see how pheasants actually fly and what we have gotten ourselves into?

As for what kind of .22 I am looking for... I have no real preference. However I am leading towards either semi-automatic or bolt action. I suppose whatever will be the most reliable (I plan to put 1000s of rounds through this gun), durable and accurate. I have no allegiance to any brand yet. How the gun looks is of no concern to me also.

Thanks again!

catnthehat
03-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Wessex or Whitewolf Ranching (wwbirds here) can help you out tremendously , farm birds generally hold a lot tighter than wild ones.
wwbirds can liekly give you some ver good pointers, ad he has a dog he may handle for you as well.

One thing about patterning guns , many people say to shoot them like you would at a bird - off the shoulder and aiming at a dot at 40 yards.
others say to bench the gun to get an accurate idea of just how the shot pattern works.
For me, I prefer the offhand style .
It gives me a better idea of just how the I am shootng the gun in relation to how I am looking at the target, and how I howld the gun .

I have found most guns have a different point of impact when I shoot them from the benc as opposed to me holding them offhand.
Some disagree, but this is what OI found works for me.:)

Cat

Skybuster
03-12-2012, 02:52 PM
catnthehat mentioned to keep the gun swinging or you'll be behind the bird. Good advice. A must. One buddy of mine likes to use the phrase, Butt, belly, beak, bang. Follow that cycle without stopping the swing and you will be far more successful than I, I keep stopping.
If you are going skeet shooting lots, then you are probably past this basic tenet anyway. But good luck, bird hunting is a blast.

Comstar
03-12-2012, 04:54 PM
If you want a semi .22 I'd go for a ruger 10 22, they look good, shot good , and are reliable. I got a new one before winter and have shot 1000-1500 rounds through it with no problems.

NewAlbertan
03-12-2012, 05:39 PM
re: Pheasants. Love the Fez-Fez!
I'd suggest you play some games... trap, skeet, sporting clays. Practice makes perfect, has helped me tremendously, and is a lot of fun, meet fellow shotgunners, etc. Join a club and shoot some clays. I prefer skeet for the multiple angles, and sporting clays is just a blast. But an hour spent shooting trap beats an hour spent...
My dog is recovering from TPLO surgery, but I'm hoping she'll be ready to go by August. Love to visit WW or Wessix with you then if you'd like.
Best of luck. BTW - where abouts are you located?

re: 22 - We like our Ruger 10/22. Solid reliable gun at a good price. A million after market mods and upgrades available if/when you like. Won't be disappointed.

K.J.P
03-13-2012, 08:27 AM
So I need to keep the gun moving and shoot without stopping, I think I can handle that. Butt, belly, beak, bang!

Hey NewAlbertan, I would love to get out with you and your dog whenever she is up for it. What kind of dog is she? I am located in the S.W part of Calgary, very close to Chinook mall actually. If our hunt in April goes well chances are I will be out a few times a year at a farm. Until I meet some people with their own dogs so I don't have to pay $50.00 a hour to rent some! :scared0018:

Thanks for the advice on the .22, I will be sure to check out the 10/22 the next time I am at WSS. Any advice on what kind of glass I should pair with it?

Thanks again?

rugatika
03-13-2012, 08:35 AM
one thing to think about if you're getting a 22 to use as practice for big game season with a rifle, is it wouldn't hurt to get a 22 that has the same action type as your big game rifle. So if you're getting a big game rifle in bolt action, get a 22 in bolt action as well...not necessarily a huge deal but it helps. Someone already recommended the CZ (455 I believe is the 22)...also good, is the ruger 77/22, savages are usually pretty good shooters and good value for your money as well.

Lots of guys seem to be doing really well with their CZ's and I've been thinking about getting one as well. ( I gotta say, I really like the 77/22 flush mount 10rnd magazine better than the rest though).

Welcome to the board, and enjoy shooting.