PDA

View Full Version : Any bear baits for sale?

drake
03-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Can a resident legally sell their bear bait sites to another resident? Im talking "turn key" operations (tree stands, barrels, bait) with established/guaranteed bear activity. If so, what would something like this be worth to you? I dont have any for sale, but im just curious if there is a legal market for this kind of thing. I know its illegal to pay for access, but im talking about public land and resident hunters.

Discuss......

Elkaholic523
03-12-2012, 04:24 PM
I would say that 100% illegal

Icon
03-12-2012, 04:28 PM
I would say that 100% illegal

I would tend to agree. Kinda sounds like guiding, without an actual guide.

Bound2Fish
03-12-2012, 04:29 PM
I think you could sell your stands and barrels for whatever price you want. Locations on the other hand, I think it would be illegal.

darius
03-12-2012, 04:30 PM
some of the stuff i see posted here this would be the last place i' d check to see if something is legal

rammer
03-12-2012, 04:32 PM
If you sell a tree stand, bear bait, and GPS co-ordinates I don't see a problem.

scrapper
03-12-2012, 04:47 PM
No they are not for Sale but you can sure lease one for a few days from any licensed guide, they let people use the ones they have for money all the time. Why buy one, just contact a guideing service.

PGH
03-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Well i suppose you could sell your tree stand, barrels and whatever bait is laid out. but what you can't sell is that part when you mentioned "guaranteed bear action". any guy could set up what looks like a great bait site, sell it, and - what if nothing happens? you can't guarantee anything other than you sold some items that are out in the bush already set-up.

I'm not a fan of this idea. I personally put a lot of hard work into baiting and setting up baits. It takes YEARS to get a good bait site set-up and often times you have bad years and good years. I would hate if someone could just buy up a site without having to do any of the hard-work. However, I would make an exception for elderly or persons with disabilities.

Bait sites take maintenance and time. One of the main arguments in favor of bear baiting is that it ISN'T as easy as it sounds. With this idea you're trying to make it as easy as it sounds.

Just so we are clear, i have nothing against guided hunts or anything like that. But this is about selling a bait site, which is what i'm talking about here.

PGH
03-12-2012, 05:10 PM
ok, so lets say you can sell your bait site to someone, they get up in the tree stand that they just bought and it collapses and they become severely injured. How you gonna win that lawsuit? Because you made a commercial gain off selling the site you will owe a duty of care to some extent. And I know - you're thinking "i'll just say the site is "as-is" to avoid all legal liability. Problem is no one is gonna want to buy an "as-is" bear bait site. lol.

And with tree stands and bait barrels mysteriously going missing - how are you going to secure everything so that someone else doesn't come along and ruin your pre-packaged bait site? If its on public land there is no way you can restrict access to it.

I'm just trying to poke holes in your idea. If you can make it work and make money off it, then I will wish you good luck. But there are way too many variables that you can't control or manage with this scenario...

for it to be a legitimate business you would have to have insurance. I don't think you would be able to get a cheap enough policy for this type of operation to be profitable. Who's gonna insure "guy selling as-is bear bait sites to anyone with cash" ???

walking buffalo
03-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Can a resident legally sell their bear bait sites to another resident? Im talking "turn key" operations (tree stands, barrels, bait) with established/guaranteed bear activity. If so, what would something like this be worth to you? I dont have any for sale, but im just curious if there is a legal market for this kind of thing. I know its illegal to pay for access, but im talking about public land and resident hunters.

Discuss......

Interesting question.

I don't know of any legal precedents....

A person with an Outfitter licence could possibly take the cash, as payment for the service/product.

Without an Outfitter licence, it would be tough to convince the judge your physical efforts do not constitute gaining reward from providing guiding services.

Rantastic
03-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Man, wasn't life alot simpler when fellows didn't have to worry about being sued over someone else bad luck or stupidity? If this was 50 yrs ago a guy would look over a stand to make sure its safe before he climbs in it... nowadays we assume everythign is perfect and then blame and sue whoever else we feel is responsible for our ignorance and negligance....

darius
03-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Man, wasn't life alot simpler when fellows didn't have to worry about being sued over someone else bad luck or stupidity? If this was 50 yrs ago a guy would look over a stand to make sure its safe before he climbs in it... nowadays we assume everythign is perfect and then blame and sue whoever else we feel is responsible for our ignorance and negligance....

i know what you mean .

i slipped on soem ice at my neighbors front porch so i am sueing him .

Rantastic
03-16-2012, 06:15 PM
Exactly... I was a little peeved when I slipped on icy stairs and fell down 8 steps and hurt my legs and back pretty good, at a show home and there had been no attempt to clear them and it was the afternoon already but never did the thought of sueing them ever enter into my mind...

Savage 88
03-21-2012, 05:32 PM
you might be able to get a few bucks for the barrels and stand but as for the site itself if it is on public land you have no ownership to sell and on private land the landowner would reserve that right.