PDA

View Full Version : What do I need?

CanuckShooter
03-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Looking for some friendly advice....

I stopped smoking in november and now I am always craving...food, sweets, drinks, sunshine, old music...every damm thing turns into a craving....is this normal? What do I need to alleviate these cravings????

Any ideas worth their weight in dead wolves will be given consideration. ;-)

Twisted Canuck
03-12-2012, 04:07 PM

I stopped smoking in november and now I am always craving...food, sweets, drinks, sunshine, old music...every damm thing turns into a craving....is this normal? What do I need to alleviate these cravings????

When I quit smoking (22 yrs ago, after being a 1-2 pack a day guy for 7 yrs), I started eating sunflower seeds. Lots of them. Quarterly profits at Spitz were way up that summer......you are essentially replacing a habit with another healthier one. After about 6 months of not smoking, the cravings were essentially done, except when drinking too much beer....I still get the urge for a cigarette when I have too many beers with the boys around the campfire.

Quitting the sunflower seed habit was not difficult at all.

guywiththemule
03-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Maybe try chewing toothpicks ? Worked for me when I had cravings.

Okotokian
03-12-2012, 04:52 PM
1. go with the cravings that don't hurt anything... old music, sunshine, etc.

2. Start doing things like hiking or biking. Take a walk up a hill in your hunting area and see how much easier it is now than when you used to smoke. The point is not to substitute something else for th cigarettes, but to give you a payoff for not smoking. Once you start feeling stronger and doing things you couldn' before, it will strengthen your resolve. I once went on a hike with a bunch of people when I smoked (none of them did). I was bringing up th rear and needing breaks. Went with the same group last year and I had to slow down for them. Felt great, and I sure didn't crave a cigarette.

moosemad
03-13-2012, 12:48 AM

I hear ya brother, quit on Oct 22/11. I think the best thing is to stay away from other smokers and spend lots of time in the outdoors. Don't loose it now, the third and fourth months were my hardest in the past. Find a hobby to keep busy at.
Me, I'm busy making a cattle prod into a cane for the 74 yr old lad in Manitoba. (Public Enemy #1). :scared0018:

CanuckShooter
03-13-2012, 08:38 AM
I hear ya brother, quit on Oct 22/11. I think the best thing is to stay away from other smokers and spend lots of time in the outdoors. Don't loose it now, the third and fourth months were my hardest in the past. Find a hobby to keep busy at.
Me, I'm busy making a cattle prod into a cane for the 74 yr old lad in Manitoba. (Public Enemy #1). :scared0018:

Good to hear I'm not alone in joining the pink lung club. I am doing pretty good with the smoke cravings...it's the other ones that are killing me!!! ;-)

Arachnodisiac
03-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Also having quit, I can relate.

A couple points of advice that may (or may not be) of assistance.

Your brain might be trying to trick you into creating the circumstances it believes may result in a nicotine reward – such as alcohol and old music. It's incredible that we're this clever, and also this stupid all at the same time, but I have no doubt that we are.

Try new tastes – craving beer? Try wine instead. Junk food? Try some five-year-old cheddar, or go for a lobster. Try and satisfy the craving by introducing something new so that the old patterns of association don't have a chance to cement.

More sex and/or orgasms. More exercise. Both activities release pleasurable chemicals into our body that will certainly distract your brain and are much better for us than nicotine (and the myriad of other chemicals that come with it).

CanuckShooter
03-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Just killed off my first bag of spits!! Tried chasing the little woman around the house, she is way too fast for me....at least I got some cardio in!! ;-)

Spidey
03-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Just killed off my first bag of spits!! Tried chasing the little woman around the house, she is way too fast for me....at least I got some cardio in!! ;-)

You conjure up quite the image! Were you chasing your better half around the house while eating spits? If so, that could be your problem..... :)

BobLoblaw
03-15-2012, 09:40 PM
So, you can't catch the missus, eh?
No big deal, that would only keep your mind off smoking for a minute or two, anyhoo...:sHa_sarcasticlol:
You do have the internet; should be able to find enough entertainment on there to keep your hands occupied 'til you get past the nicotine cravings!:scared0018: