PDA

View Full Version : VW trucks, why not here?

sewerrat
03-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Saw one of those in Costa Rica last week and it looks like one sweet ride, comes with a TDI engine, what more do you want, Canada needs to loosen up the safty/emision strings a bit so we can have these nice toys here.

http://www.netcarshow.com/volkswagen/2011-amarok/

CaberTosser
03-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Usually it's not so much the governments particular requirements that keep us from seeing certain models here, as a technological behemoth such as VW could met those requirements in a heartbeat. The holdup is VW guaging our marketplace and judging whether or not they can sell enough of certain models here. Frankly I think they should make available their full line, save perhaps for the compact cars they make for India. Any line of trucks made for third world nations would probably go over really well with AO board members for economical rugged utility.

I've had a lot of VW's, and one fellow I knew had a VW I wanted something fierce, despite all the transmission problems he had with it. It was a Syncro Crew Cab Transporter, basically one of those square VW vans with a flat deck out back. There was a cargo pass-through under the front seats and it was just so unique. Burgundy metallic, Syncro all wheel drive and that neat flat deck.

Pudelpointer
03-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Usually it's not so much the governments particular requirements that keep us from seeing certain models here, as a technological behemoth such as VW could met those requirements in a heartbeat. The holdup is VW guaging our marketplace and judging whether or not they can sell enough of certain models here. Frankly I think they should make available their full line, save perhaps for the compact cars they make for India. Any line of trucks made for third world nations would probably go over really well with AO board members for economical rugged utility.

Have to disagree with you there CT. It IS the government. The safety requirements to get a car approved for the NA market are significant. The VW truck in question would quickly climb from affordable to too damn expensive. They are bare-bones vehicles from what I understand.

No NA vehicle manufacturer makes a plain Jane unit: they all have Air, cruise, 6 airbags, safety crumple zones, daytime running lights, power.... well, everything. I had to special order a truck last year so that I could get it in standard, no power windows or locks, in 4x4. After looking around for a few days they couldn't find a standard 4x4. ? Cost me extra to get less. That is the NA model.

By the time VW got it to pass safety standards here, it would cost as much or more than a domestic truck.

fishnamed
03-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Because nobody normal drives a VW...

schian
03-12-2012, 09:53 PM
the safety standards are no problem at all for VW
but you are correct in the fact that for the truck to get up to the standards that we expect in all the gimmicks and gadgets, it would end up costing over $50 000, and have a lot less horsepower (although much better fuel economy) than a base model f-150 (blegh) :lol:
Just my 2 cents
Schian

rwm1273
03-12-2012, 10:02 PM
I don't see these vehicles being that expensive to meet Canadian standards. There really are not that much hoops for established manufacturers to bring in a new product. The biggest difference between Canadian standards and some of these other countries such as Germany is the daytime running lights.

This VW truck is not built specifically for third world markets. It is available straight across Europe, and most places in Europe have similar safety standards as Canada, and some have more strict emission standards.

I think the reason why these manufacturers don't bring over certain models is because of agreements with other manufacturers. At one time GM and Ford owned or had substantial shares in many car manufacturers other than Toyota and perhaps Nisan and Subaru.

ishootbambi
03-12-2012, 10:22 PM
Because nobody normal drives a VW...

got that straight! they may fly for euro guys that use product in their hair, but here in canada, the men i know wouldnt be caught dead in something like that.

rwm1273
03-12-2012, 10:31 PM
got that straight! they may fly for euro guys that use product in their hair, but here in canada, the men i know wouldnt be caught dead in something like that.

I would love to have a TDI Passat. Nice car, lots of room, great on long drives, and excellent on fuel. However I drive a mini van because of the convenience with kids, and got an old truck for hunting.

I would buy the VW truck tomorrow if it was available here. However it would be a toss up if the Toyota HiLux was available too. I have never driven the VW, but have driven many HiLux's, and owned one over seas, and I know they are good.

mudbug
03-12-2012, 10:58 PM
I saw some of the VW trucks in Mexico last month and thought they were pretty neat. I guess they even made the original VW Bug until 2002 there as well :)

Big Daddy Badger
03-12-2012, 11:31 PM
If I was a betting man I'd say that VW just didn't want to make the safety and emissions changes required for the NA market.
If it's a plain jane truck they probably wouldn't sell enough volume to make it worth their while here.

The one that upsets me is Ford Ranger Diesels...apparently they sell em in the UK and I'd take a second look at one if it was a diesel.

rwm1273
03-13-2012, 07:54 AM
If I was a betting man I'd say that VW just didn't want to make the safety and emissions changes required for the NA market.
If it's a plain jane truck they probably wouldn't sell enough volume to make it worth their while here.

The one that upsets me is Ford Ranger Diesels...apparently they sell em in the UK and I'd take a second look at one if it was a diesel.

My experience with those are they are not very good. And they would take more to bring them up to emission standards as the engine in it is old technology.

The few pictures I have seen of the VW, it is not a plain jane. I just wish they would bring some over and test the market. I bet the first 1000 would sell before they were off the boat.

Pudelpointer
03-13-2012, 08:35 AM
My experience with those are they are not very good. And they would take more to bring them up to emission standards as the engine in it is old technology.

The few pictures I have seen of the VW, it is not a plain jane. I just wish they would bring some over and test the market. I bet the first 1000 would sell before they were off the boat.

If they could keep the 4 door under $30k I would buy one in a minute? I would probably save >5k a year in fuel costs.

Sooner
03-13-2012, 09:01 AM
A few of my friends are VW people. You cant complain with a 60 buck fill up and driving two weeks on a tank of fuel(Tdi). I too would consider it but with two kids who are almost teenagers and growing, a dog and having to haul my mom inlaw and her son around from time to time, you just need something bigger. My VW friends say we dont see some of these products because VW doesnt see a big selling market.

JB_AOL
03-13-2012, 09:05 AM
good article explaining why (http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/alternative-fuel/diesel/4330313) But we are slowly seeing more & More of them.

Rod1960
03-13-2012, 09:28 AM
I was wondering the same thing:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=124853

http://www.volkswagen-commercial-vehicles.com/en/models/amarok.html

I have received some feed back indicating that the import tariffs would make them cost prohibited.

Rod1960
03-13-2012, 09:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7e_SfYsteE

LeonH
03-13-2012, 12:57 PM

Actually, VW Amarok is available on every continent except North America (not just Europe). It is used in severe north of Siberia to the desert climates of Australia with no issues. It is kind of funny that it has been given a name that originates from Canada (Inuit = wolf) and it is not available here.

This truck has just over 6000lbs towing capacity and there is lots of people that this would serve them just fine. In my opinion not too bad for 2.0L turbo diesel. I would for sure consider it for a my smaller truck needs.

Sneeze
03-13-2012, 01:50 PM
I would like to see more information as to what keeps this kind of stuff out of our markets.

A few years back there was a bunch of talk in regards to the big 3 offering a smaller diesel in a 1500 series truck. I was all over that but it never happened.

Not sure I like the VW offering, but I like the idea of a 1/2 ton diesel.

fordtruckin
03-13-2012, 02:06 PM
I would like to see more information as to what keeps this kind of stuff out of our markets.

A few years back there was a bunch of talk in regards to the big 3 offering a smaller diesel in a 1500 series truck. I was all over that but it never happened.

Not sure I like the VW offering, but I like the idea of a 1/2 ton diesel.

Well I found this online concerning the Ford Ranger not sold in NA.(from wikipedia)

Although the T6 Ranger will be offered in 180 markets, it will not be sold in North America, due to the new global platform being too close in size and price to the F-150 and overall declining sales of compact pickups in North America. Ford initially planned a mid-size truck based on a modified F-150 chassis for the North American market named the F-100; however, this was shelved in favour of offering the 3.5 L EcoBoost V6 engine on the F-150. Additionally, American and Canadian safety and emissions standards as well as the long-standing 25% import tariff imposed on non-American built light trucks prevent the T6 Ranger from being imported into North America. Safety and emissions standards in ECE-compliant nations, the need for right-hand drive in certain international markets, and possible import tariffs prevent the F-150 from being exported out of North America.[2][3]

I agree a nice Diesel midsize truck would be nice, or even a plain jane vehicle with manual locks/windows and a 6 spd. But in reality NA is about BIG and luxurious.I know plenty of people who convince themselves they need a big fully loaded truck even if they don't use it. (its for safety apparently) The market in NA is BIG Suv's and Trucks. There wouldn't be the same profit margin selling small trucks here as in other parts of the world.

I don't claim to be a world traveller but I've been to europe and the middle east several times. Look on their roads. They seem to be more about the compact vehicles than large ones. I mean even look at their big rigs. I haven't seen many Pete's or Kenworths hauling dual 53'trailers.

Hell I'd be all about another Ford Ranger or choke,,,,Toyota Tacoma if my wife didn't have horses and I needed to have something able to haul a horse trailer around. Now if Ford would have just updated the Ranger to a crew cab and repowered them I'd be more likely to buy a used one, but they spent their $$ on updating the F150 and higher. Why? because in NA bigger is better.