PDA

View Full Version : Jerky and Sausage Cures

jezzica777
03-13-2012, 10:35 AM
Hi,

Looking for good Jerky and Sausage Cures. Anyone had any luck with Hi Mountain products. I see them at Barbecues Galore. Seem like a reasonable price. We just got a Big Steel Keg and love the way it cooks but want to try out some jerky and sausages, any suggestions?

Thanks

J.

Arrowhead
03-13-2012, 10:51 AM
I've tried a couple of the Hi Mountain jerky cures. They work awesome. I lighten up on the amount called for in their recipee by about 1/4 because I found some of them to be a bit too salty, but two thumbs up. They are great.

Jimboy
03-13-2012, 11:59 AM
[QUOTE=jezzica777;1343869]Hi,

Looking for good Jerky and Sausage Cures. Anyone had any luck with Hi Mountain products. I see them at Barbecues Galore. Seem like a reasonable price. We just got a Big Steel Keg and love the way it cooks but want to try out some jerky and sausages, any suggestions?

Dr seys bin eatin to much a this **** fer years and need ta quit it , so bin lookin around fer a cure me self and cant find one , still eatin the stuff.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

marlin1
03-13-2012, 12:16 PM
CTR supply is where we get ours now . High mountain was a bit too salty . CTR has some great stuff , everyone that tries ours says it's the best they ever had usually

omega50
03-13-2012, 03:37 PM
If you are buying High Mountain-check the box before you leave the store to make sure everything is there. On two occasions I have been gifted jerky cure variety packs and they were missing 2 of the 5 flavors- Either an oversight at the factory or more likely someone grabbed a five-finger discount when no one was looking.

I called High Mountain customer service and they shipped out the missing items no charge, but was still a PITA.

saskwhitey
03-13-2012, 05:13 PM
What Hi mountain flavors do you like the best?

saddleup
03-13-2012, 06:48 PM
I have tried the Hi Mountain and the HI COUNTRY, which is made and available in the Montana. I find the HI COUNTRY to be a bit better, less salt and more flavor. Have tried various different flavors the make and have been very satified with them all. Just a personal preference and available in Sweetgrass MT.

myrtlebrent
03-15-2012, 02:55 PM
I don't buy cures, try my method:

In about a gal. of water mix about 1/2 cup of pickling salt, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, a bit of worchester or soy sauce, spices like pepper, garlic and crushed chilis. stick your finger in and taste the brine for saltiness, should taste quite salty.

soak your jerky meat in this brine overnight then dry off the next day.
For flavours, spread teriyaki, pepper or hot sauce on the meat before drying or just go with the brine flavour.

I use the same brine for smoking trout or salmon. Works for me!