PDA

View Full Version : Free light wood stove...sort of.

Darren57
03-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Hey everyone. I recently had to replace a heat exchanger in a mobile home furnace and i couldnt help but notice what a perfect ice shelter wood stove it could be made into. It would take some work though. I dont have room to store it or build my own shelter but i thought I would at least post it here before throwing it out. I live in Calgary by bowness. I have been having trouble posting pictures lateley but here are the specs:
It is basicaly a 40-50lbs metal box with a 10'' hole in the front and 6 2'' diameter metal tubes coming out of the rear top. The tubes conect to a thin box on top which has a round vent conecter on top for aproximately a 6'' vent pipe. The box portion has a depth and width of about 19'' and a height of 2 feet. The 6 2'' tubes out the rear top extend another 2 feet to the thin vent connecter box. It is all one solid piece and is just over 4' tall.
To make it work it would need:
-non combustable legs\base.
-A section of 26-28 gauge or thicker 6'' single wall vent pipe for a chimney
-a metal roof flashing
-possibly a sheetmetal door with a makeshift combustion air damper
you might want to also make a small combustion air opening in the side of the shelter if it is tightly sealed construction. Or you could get fancy and cut another hole in the side of the box and pipe a metal flex duct right to the box for combustion air and seal the door. I would still strongly recomend a t least a 3'' round combustion air opening in the side of the shelter for ventalation and to avoid improper natural drafting of the smoke/flue gases up the chimney due to negative pressure in the shelter.
I am a plumber/Gasfitter and do a little sheet metal work so this seams like a reasonably easy project for me but i just dont have the room for it. If you want to pick it up, it is yours. I will hold onto it for a month or so until my fiance makes me throw it out.

harrydude
03-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Were are you at?
Can u pm me your details please

WilliamLaurence
06-01-2012, 04:12 AM
I bought one of these from ChimneyHeaters.com . I installed and it works fine. Heats my 2000

square foot house. I have the pump connected to a UPS but I am not sure how long the pump

will run if the electric goes out. I had it installed all winter and did not have to turn on

my Electric heat once which saved me about 200 euro a month here in Romania.

The Electric is not stable here so I had to rush to take out the fire a couple of times

because the water pump had stopped and the pressure valves were going off. The UPS will

solve that but I don't know how long a UPS will keep my central pump going. I will attach a

pic of what chimney heaters are in case you are not familiar with them. The pump is a

Grundfos and has three speeds.