PDA

View Full Version : west twin lake

el sparko
03-06-2008, 08:44 AM
has anyone tried twinlake down by rocky lately?

Brian
03-06-2008, 10:48 AM
I tried west Twin Lake near Rocky last weekend. It was very, very slow. Had a couple nibbles but went home skunked (ouch!). Strubel is a better bet, but the fish are small (about 9 inches). Dixon is producing well, but again, the fish aren't large.......mostly last spring's stocking, but occasionally a larger one.........very occasionally! Good Luck!

TundraBuck
03-06-2008, 05:14 PM
I don't know why you'd fish Twin and expect "large" trout. They are brood stocks. Not my idea of a big trout at all. You must doing something wrong at Struble, I don't think we have even caught a 9 inch fish this year, honestly every fish we have iced has been at least 12. Lots of fish in the 17 - 22 inch range and the occasional one even bigger.

Dickson also frequently produces 16" non-brood stocks and it does also have broods like Twin.

Twin did get illegally stocked with perch, so I'm not too sure what's going in with it. I never fish it anyways, there is a much better brookie lake not 5 minutes from there.

Gordoats26
03-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Isnt twin the place buddy caught that hog of a rainbow in the back of the regs an won third place for it or am i mistaken? I dont know ive never fished there?

TundraBuck
03-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Yes they put him in Angler of the Year. Which is absolutely ridiculous that isn't even a trophy.

ballyboy
03-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Twin did get illegally stocked with perch, so I'm not too sure what's going in with it. I never fish it anyways, there is a much better brookie lake not 5 minutes from there.[/QUOTE]

Would you mind divulging where that lake is?

TundraBuck
03-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Yes I would mind. Lol.

Brian
03-08-2008, 08:08 AM
We take a lot of kids fishing (other people's kids that otherwise couldn't go)and consequently spend quite a lot of time fishing in local lakes around Rocky. Mostly we practice catch & release unless it is a youngster's first fish & he/she really wants to keep it. Statements about never catching small trout in Struble, and also lots of large fish there, as well as statements about a great Brookie Lake within 5 minutes of Twin say absolutely reams about the nature of the information some people post on this site. Anyone that has ever fished the area will understand completely.

mulecrazy
03-08-2008, 08:28 AM
X2 Brian

Never heard of any brookie lakes in the area. I have caught nothing but little ones in struble. I have never seen anything big come out of there.

TundraBuck
03-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Well I don't know you guys. I have put in the time I guess. Maybe it comes down to experience and skill? The brookie spot isn't really a lake in essence it is a pond.

TundraBuck
03-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Brian and Mulecrazy if you PM me we can hook up and go fish there. I don't know how you catch nothing but little ones, every time we go we get at least a couple 16+ inch fish.

duffy4
03-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Just to set the record straight, "west twin lake" is between winfield and battle lake. The twin near Rocky is just twin. And there is another twin north of Manning.

I was at west twin today with the wife and caught one small pike. Then we went to Battle where we got a couple pike and had one big white get off in the hole.

Not sure where I'll try tomorrow.

Robin in Rocky

TundraBuck
03-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Cow Lake is a good bet duffy4. Lots of perch to be caught this time of year.

Mish
03-09-2008, 11:55 AM
We take a lot of kids fishing (other people's kids that otherwise couldn't go)and consequently spend quite a lot of time fishing in local lakes around Rocky.

If that's the case, I think Twin Lake is a great place to take kids. I'm sure they would love to catch a big one, but they'd probably be happy with just non-stop action. Twin Lake by Rocky is what got me really hooked on fishing, because every time I went it was fish after fish after fish.

fishman
03-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Just to set the record straight, "west twin lake" is between winfield and battle lake. The twin near Rocky is just twin. And there is another twin north of Manning.

I was at west twin today with the wife and caught one small pike. Then we went to Battle where we got a couple pike and had one big white get off in the hole.

Not sure where I'll try tomorrow.

Robin in Rocky

I have fished all three of these lakes

West twin by Winfield they use to stock with brooder to, caught some big ugly bows in there and see some biggggggg pike

Twin lake by Rocky has a variety of fish from brooders to lots of small fish but still has bigger fish in the 16-18 inch range just have to fish them diffrently is all.

Twin lakes by manning is a very diffrent lake is right beside the highway with most of the lake producing small fish 12-14 inch but were the spring is there is bigger fish to 20 inch plus.........i have only fished this lake in the summer so were they hang out will be diffrent then winter, that is why i said the spring is the producer for big fish........still is a hard lake to catch the bigger fish over 14 inchs