PDA

View Full Version : Venus and Jupiter In The Western Sky!

trapshooter
03-13-2012, 11:53 PM
If you look out high into the western sky you will see two very very bright stars! They are Venus and Jupiter! Venus is brightest and on the right and Jupiter is dimmer and on the left! They will probably be out again tomorrow but after that we may never see them again! I took these pics and thought I would share! They are pretty bad, but it is hard when you have 40kph wind howling at you!

Shot with:
Nikon D300
70-300mm Nikon Lens
Gitzo Tripod

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z419/Photography_Hunting_Trapshooting/DSC_0465.jpg

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z419/Photography_Hunting_Trapshooting/DSC_0455.jpg

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z419/Photography_Hunting_Trapshooting/DSC_0457.jpg

Nester
03-13-2012, 11:56 PM
Thanks

I was wondering what was up with those 2 bright lights out west.:happy0034:

grunger
03-14-2012, 12:01 AM
I've been looking through my telescope the past few night and you can see 2 moons around Jupiter. I know there are more but my cheap scope can't see the others. Jupiter is the smaller fainter of the two.

backwoods
03-14-2012, 12:01 AM
Thanks trapshooter! -i've been looking at them the last few nights wondering what they were. I'm not much for astrology but I knew that they are not usually there as I would have noticed them before. They are incredibly bright even with all the light polloution. Very cool.

Zip
03-14-2012, 12:04 AM
I am down at Lake Havasu right now on a holiday and both those planets are pretty bright here...awesome to see! Thanks for the heads up as to what they were...i didn't know. Let me know when all the snow is gone from Alberta and i will return...maybe!!! It's beautifull here.

Sooner
03-14-2012, 12:09 AM
I have been watching these two planets for a few weeks as well. Showed my kids and neice and nephew too. would be cool to see them with a telescope. Might have to go down to the old planetarium.(not called that anymore) I think they have telescopes there for the public.

eastcoast
03-14-2012, 12:10 AM
jebus?

trapshooter
03-14-2012, 12:13 AM
no prob guys, I always like to pass on knowledge that will help others! They wont be out for too manymore days though!

Roughneck12
03-14-2012, 01:52 AM
Stars twinkle, planets don't. You can see the moons of Jupiter with binocs on a clear night. And it's astronomy.

762Russian
03-14-2012, 03:18 AM
Mars is high in the sky by 11pm as well; great view of it. Just look for the red star that isn't flashing.

WayneChristie
03-14-2012, 06:57 AM
I've been looking through my telescope the past few night and you can see 2 moons around Jupiter. I know there are more but my cheap scope can't see the others. Jupiter is the smaller fainter of the two.

usually you can see 4 of Jupiters moons, look like 4 tiny stars in a row. sometimes one or two are hidden behind the planet. you should be able to see them with even low powered binoculars. my ex mother in law was so far sighted she could see them with just her eyes alone.

marlin1
03-14-2012, 07:00 AM
is this all to do with the alignment of the planets?

Lefty-Canuck
03-14-2012, 07:01 AM
usually you can see 4 of Jupiters moons, look like 4 tiny stars in a row. sometimes one or two are hidden behind the planet. you should be able to see them with even low powered binoculars. my ex mother in law was so far sighted she could see them with just her eyes alone.

Is that how she found out you were good from far..... but far from good? :)

LC :)

ccmckee
03-14-2012, 07:36 AM
It was really a neat show last week with the full moon and they were a lot closer to the moon.

Redfrog
03-14-2012, 08:23 AM
Thanks Trapshooter.

about 12 years ago I took a buddy on a hunt into the mountains in B.C. He was a dude anda photo.astronomy buff.

He set up my spotting scope the first night. He was excited because we were so high and no light pollution. At one point he got very excite. He has Saturn and Jupiter in the scope at the same time. The moons of Jupiter and the rings of Saturn were very clear. He took lots of pics that night.

Whenever we talk , he still brings up that trip.

keeks
03-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Going out with the kids tonite. Thanks, I was wondering what they were as well.

WayneChristie
03-14-2012, 10:37 AM
Is that how she found out you were good from far..... but far from good? :)

LC :)
certainly helped her find all my faults! even the ones I didnt have :sHa_sarcasticlol:

If you have a proper filter its amazing what you can see even from a city yard, with a decent telescope. Now that I live in the country its hard some nights to even find familiar things in the sky because there is so much visible!

Hunter65
03-14-2012, 11:33 AM
At about 930pm Mars is more or less in the east southeast sky, and Jupiter and Venus are more or less due west. I have 6" telescope, and the moons are more than obvious from Edmonton, as are the 2 red bands, and occasionally (with good seeing) the GRS (great red spot).

Has anybody ever seen the Andromeda Galaxy with your naked eyes? You have to know where to look and have extremely dark skies, but once you see it you will know. I have seen it on several occasions naked eye.

For those keeners out there, Stellarium is a free download.

trapshooter
03-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Going out with the kids tonite. Thanks, I was wondering what they were as well.

Get outside of the city you will see them much better!