PDA

View Full Version : Chip lake

schian
03-14-2012, 10:36 PM
Hey guys, does anyone know how the hunting out in WMU 348 (out by chip lake/ wildwood) is?
Just found out a friend has a quarter section out there so I plan on checking it out soon, but just curious what your thoughts are.
Also, am i right in that the regs say the antlerless elk season goes till January 20? (or it did last year anyway)
Thanks a lot
Schian

schian
03-14-2012, 11:15 PM
i just re-checked the regs and realized the the antlerless elk till january is a draw so that answers that
but still curious about how good the hunting is out there?

u_cant_rope_the_wind
03-14-2012, 11:36 PM
the game numbers are way down, there's allot of cougars and wolves on the north west end, of chip lake, the Elk are almost a species of the past, moose are almost extinct in most area of 348, mule deer and WT numbers are very low, and getting permission to hunt is almost impossible

schian
03-14-2012, 11:40 PM
the game numbers are way down, there's allot of cougars and wolves on the north west end, of chip lake, the Elk are almost a species of the past, moose are almost extinct in most area of 348, mule deer and WT numbers are very low, and getting permission to hunt is almost impossible

hmmm, thats unfortunate, a friend already gave me permission
might get out there in the spring and put out some trail cams for the summer and just see whats out there

houndsmen
03-15-2012, 07:32 AM
He's right, the wolves have about ruined the "Bush Hunting" there compared to what it was. The good news is I think the count is now at 29 dead wolves along the north edge of 348. Only a few hundred more to go!

7magtime
03-15-2012, 08:24 AM

Not sure what area you were in but I hunted out there last Nov. for a few days with a friend who moved out there last year. He got permission to around 40 quarters without much problems. The 1st morning we were out he took me for a tour to show me the area. As I recall we saw 11 moose, 55 mule deer and about 35 whitetail all before 9am! That evening we set up on different fields and I saw 3 elk and he saw 17. Seemed to be good #'s in the area I was in but I know guys in wmu 336 that said the #'s were terrible, just depended on the area I guess.

Elk Hunter17
03-15-2012, 08:44 AM
It's still alright but it used to be alot better, would love to get the predators under control.

schian
03-15-2012, 09:08 AM
Sounds like my mission out there may be to take as many predators out as I can for now.
You can shoot coyotes and wolves etc on private property year round correct?

walking buffalo
03-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Sounds like my mission out there may be to take as many predators out as I can for now.
You can shoot coyotes and wolves etc on private property year round correct?

Correct, With Written permission.

And you can hunt coyotes and wolves year round on public land with written permission from a person authorized to keep livestock on that public land.

Additionally for wolves, you can hunt them year round on any land you can access legally within 5 miles of where you have written permission.

Page 32 of the hunting regs.
Access for Control of Livestock Predation
Black Bear and Coyote*
Any person who is (a) the owner or occupant of privately owned land, or (b)
authorized to keep livestock on public land, or (c) a resident authorized by a
person described in (a) or a resident authorized in writing by a person
described in (b) may, without a licence, hunt (but not trap) black bear or
coyote on such lands, at all times of the year.

Timber Wolf*
Any person who is (a) the owner or occupant of privately owned land, or
(b) authorized to keep livestock on public land, or (c) a resident authorized
by a person described in (a) or a resident authorized in writing by a person
described in (b) may, without a licence and at all times of the year, hunt
(but not trap) timber wolf on such lands, and on any lands within 8 km (5
mi.) of the above lands, provided he or she also has the right of access to
these latter lands.

* It is not legally necessary to salvage pelts of furbearing animals (includes
coyote and wolf) taken in accordance with regulations authorizing
control of problem wildlife. Refer to page 59 for information about
seasons for coyote and wolf.

schian
03-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Correct, With Written permission.

And you can hunt coyotes and wolves year round on public land with written permission from a person authorized to keep livestock on that public land.

Additionally for wolves, you can hunt them year round on any land you can access legally within 5 miles of where you have written permission.

Page 32 of the hunting regs.

thanks a lot!

looking forward to getting out there and setting up some cams to see whats there
any idea if there are any cougars out there?

greylynx
03-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Don't forget Yogi and Boo Boo.

I have seen them working like combines in a couple of oat fields on the north west portion of the lake.

schian
03-15-2012, 05:09 PM
Don't forget Yogi and Boo Boo.

I have seen them working like combines in a couple of oat fields on the north west portion of the lake.

thats pretty much exactly where the quarter that i have permission is.
lots of bears out there?

buffalohunterchalsie
03-15-2012, 08:58 PM
Not sure what area you were in but I hunted out there last Nov. for a few days with a friend who moved out there last year. He got permission to around 40 quarters without much problems. The 1st morning we were out he took me for a tour to show me the area. As I recall we saw 11 moose, 55 mule deer and about 35 whitetail all before 9am! That evening we set up on different fields and I saw 3 elk and he saw 17. Seemed to be good #'s in the area I was in but I know guys in wmu 336 that said the #'s were terrible, just depended on the area I guess.

ya numbers are definatly way down in 348. There is a real problem with predators and it seems that the hunting pressure is climbing as well....