PDA

View Full Version : Bow River Access Denied

Jayhad
03-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Hey everyone,

Some of you may know that there has been a gate put across the 17thAve/Blackfoot boat launch access point. For those drifting from bearspaw down this is the only take out between the city centre and glenmore trail, this would be a very long drift. This also limits those that like a quick evening drift or a longer drift to 22X. This boat launch is public, that has been and can be confirmed by calling 311. Plus with the upcoming opening of Harvey passage you would think a boat launch close down stream would be a benefit.

This is an issue for all of us anglers not just drift boat owners, if access to the Bow river can be just denied with no public consult we open a potential can of worms with other access points.

311 has confirmed that the gate wasn't put in place by the Fire Dept or by the City, there have been a few complaints but this is pretty low on the suits priority list. I ask that every that cares call 311 and complain and then contact your council person
http://www.calgary.ca/General/Pages/Calgar...ty-Council.aspx

thanks

TyreeUM
03-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Hey everyone,

Some of you may know that there has been a gate put across the 17thAve/Blackfoot boat launch access point. For those drifting from bearspaw down this is the only take out between the city centre and glenmore trail, this would be a very long drift. This also limits those that like a quick evening drift or a longer drift to 22X. This boat launch is public, that has been and can be confirmed by calling 311. Plus with the upcoming opening of Harvey passage you would think a boat launch close down stream would be a benefit.

This is an issue for all of us anglers not just drift boat owners, if access to the Bow river can be just denied with no public consult we open a potential can of worms with other access points.

311 has confirmed that the gate wasn't put in place by the Fire Dept or by the City, there have been a few complaints but this is pretty low on the suits priority list. I ask that every that cares call 311 and complain and then contact your council person
http://www.calgary.ca/General/Pages/Calgar...ty-Council.aspx

thanks

tie it to the bumper and rip it out...problem solved.

Jayhad
03-15-2012, 09:47 AM

I'll just break out my trusty universal key....lol, but it doesn't get to the heart of the problem

RayL42
03-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Do you know who put the gate up?

ORV
03-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Do you know who put the gate up?

just a hunch but it seems pretty strange that it went up sometime
after that new pricey apt. unit was built right there.?????????

Jayhad
03-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Ray the city has no record of a gate being put in there so really no I don't know who put the gate up but i have my suspiscions

just a hunch but it seems pretty strange that it went up sometime
after that new pricey apt. unit was built right there.?????????

I think you are right about that one, as they also gated the front entrance to the condos

walking buffalo
03-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Maybe someone will get hurt by bumping into the gate one night....

Nothing like a liability lawsuit to get the city's and developer's attention.

Speckle55
03-15-2012, 12:21 PM
:thinking-006:Request that the city put in a access point as they have allow the developer to close your access point.. go in as a delegation to council chambers with the Calgary Fish and Game Assoc..

Don,t rip out anything roflmao this is redneck Alberta TyreeUm ha ha

Food for Thought
David

Albertadiver
03-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Anyone know the name of the development at this location?

hunter49
03-15-2012, 12:47 PM

If you take this route I'd hook up to the frame or the hitch not the bumper lol.

Kokanee9
03-15-2012, 01:21 PM
The way I understand it is that the launch at that location was for launch access to the river by the Fire Department boat for rescue purposes. That was the closest practical location for easy access downstream of the weir.

I can't see that gate staying for very long once the fire department boat is brought out of storage.

TyreeUM
03-15-2012, 01:41 PM
If you take this route I'd hook up to the frame or the hitch not the bumper lol.

haha you know what I was saying...

Jayhad
03-15-2012, 02:01 PM
The way I understand it is that the launch at that location was for launch access to the river by the Fire Department boat for rescue purposes. That was the closest practical location for easy access downstream of the weir.

I can't see that gate staying for very long once the fire department boat is brought out of storage.

you are correct that the launch's primary usage is for CFD water rescue, the sign states it is for public usage and 311 has stated to me that it considered a public launch.

David good idea, but I assume I would have to be an Calgary Fish and Game member though.

Pudelpointer
03-15-2012, 05:34 PM
you are correct that the launch's primary usage is for CFD water rescue, the sign states it is for public usage and 311 has stated to me that it considered a public launch.

David good idea, but I assume I would have to be an Calgary Fish and Game member though.

Contact Fish Feathers Game (on AO) and see if the Sarcee club will join you.

darius
03-15-2012, 05:41 PM
http://edgeauctions.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/2008_18_Inch_Bolt_Cutters.110141702_std.jpg

commieboy
03-15-2012, 05:56 PM
http://edgeauctions.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/2008_18_Inch_Bolt_Cutters.110141702_std.jpg

Just what I was thinking, actually. Since 311 has confirmed that it was not a move made by the city or the fire department, it doesn't sound as though this is a legal closure..... Just some corporate activist trying to keep people at bay.

My question is what WOULD happen if the fire depot needed emergency access to it? By cutting the thing open, we'd be giving them a hand.

Mr Slu Shark
03-15-2012, 09:59 PM
LOL Who do those developers think they are!!! :snapoutofit:
Im assuming because the city has no record of it they didnt get a permit!!
Here's a link to send an online complaint... I just did!!!
https://311online.calgary.ca/pdcsrweb/ServiceRequest.mvc/SRIntake
(to save you some reading.... at the bottom of the list under service type theres a report a problem not listed part)
Thats such a popular launch Im sure someones cutting the lock this summer if the city doesnt do anything!! So Im not that worried!

Lornce
03-16-2012, 07:58 AM
Good Idea, I used the site also.

turbo mulcher
03-16-2012, 08:09 AM
I will make a call to our dive / surface rescue team and the Dist Chief and see if they are aware

turbo mulcher
03-16-2012, 08:14 AM
Just phoned 6 fire hall and they will check it out today.

Lefty-Canuck
03-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Just phoned 6 fire hall and they will check it out today.

Can you get pics of when they tie a chain to the fence and a chain to a pumper and hit the gas? :)

LC

Lornce
03-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Wonder if a sign stating public boat launch would detour fencing.

Jayhad
03-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Hey everyone thanks for the support on this. Between the AO and FFC forums I am confident they are getting tons of complaints.... keep it up.

Coulee
03-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Outrageous. I would support anyone who tore that gate out. The river is public property, and anglers don't need to be babysat for their own good or protection. I would agree that the condo tennants might be gehind that. To hell with them.

slivers86
03-17-2012, 09:19 PM
although frustrating, there are so many access points to the river by foot you can get almost anywhere with a 5 minute walk. For the floaters though I can see how this is extremely frustrating. Hopefully they clear the problem up before some redneck with a truck... wayne... pulls the posts out or something :)

rielbowhunter
03-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Last fall,I watched the fire deparment put there boat in across the river on the east side, right below the weir. maybe thats public?

Jayhad
03-21-2012, 02:40 PM
OK GOOD NEWS, and thank you everyone for your assistance.

It was not CFD that put up the gate it was a contractor working on the condos.
311 busted thier butts and got Parks Alberta involved. Apparently Parks takes care of these types of issues, Parks had the gate removed yesterday I drove by it this morning and noticed it was gone. Minutes ago I recieved a call from Parks explaining that the contractor has been reported and will be fined for blocking access to a public green space. As well Parks was very unhappy that this had happened especially with the opening of the new Harvey Passage this spring (nice piece of info) and Ron, the area head for Calgary gave me his # and said it could be published.

If you see the gate up call Ron @ 403.255.7535

Thanks everyone, it's nice to get something done

commieboy
03-21-2012, 02:45 PM

311 busted thier butts and got Parks Alberta involved. Apparently Parks takes care of these types of issues, Parks had the gate removed yesterday I drove by it this morning and noticed it was gone. Minutes ago I recieved a call from Parks explaining that the contractor has been reported and will be fined for blocking access to a public green space. As well Parks was very unhappy that this had happened especially with the opening of the new Harvey Passage this spring (nice piece of info) and Ron, the area head for Calgary gave me his # and said it could be published.

Fantastic job! Congratulations to you for getting this taken care of.

Albertadiver
03-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Sweet Deal!

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Id be contacting Fish and Wildlife , How can they block access to a public water body ? Im sure they will gladly look into it .

Along the same lines as someone telling my one of my regular fishing spots they were going to gate it off by the county , but Fish and Wildlife confirmed that they cannot do that .

ORV
03-21-2012, 02:54 PM

excellent!! i have used that access in the past & plan to in the future.

good to know that our complaints made a difference for a change!!

thanks jayhad for seeing it thru.

orv.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-21-2012, 02:55 PM

YAYYYY ITS ABOUT TIME . :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout:

bubba 96
03-21-2012, 03:02 PM
Good work to all!!!!!!!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

thumper
03-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Nice work! Now if we could only get access to the Bearspaw Res again!

DiabeticKripple
03-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Nice work! Now if we could only get access to the Bearspaw Res again!

walk. its about a 10 min walk from the golf course

Albertadiver
03-21-2012, 04:26 PM

Golf course is on the south side.

Best access is from the North.

Grizzly Adams
03-21-2012, 06:59 PM

You've got to wonder, what would make a contractor block it off, in the first place ?

Grizz

thumper
03-21-2012, 07:10 PM

With a boat/inflatable/kayak?

greylynx
03-21-2012, 07:12 PM
The good part is that Parks will be watching.

Parks looks good in the media when they are helping out nice citizens from that big bad land developer.

Best Wishes to you guys.

Don't put up with any crap.

Lornce
03-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Excellent Job guys.

ogre
03-21-2012, 08:38 PM
Way to go Jayhad for taking the initiative to resolve this before it become a big issue. This same goes to all who'd joined in with their input and voice.

On a side note, is Bearspaw access completely blocked off or is it just the dam section? Is the parking area still open or is it parking on the road now?

npauls
03-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Nice work Jayhad and anyone else that was involved.

I know nothing about the area but hope to do a few floats this year and hopefully learn those areas.

ReconWilly
03-21-2012, 08:43 PM
Who the hell do these people think they are? Good job everyone, lets hope the maximum penalties and fines are handed down. To take these sorts of actions is absolutely unacceptable, people over step their boundaries all the time and need to be put in their places(1 way or another) especially corporate low-lifes.

BeeGuy
03-22-2012, 12:07 AM
Way to go Jayhad for taking the initiative to resolve this before it become a big issue. This same goes to all who'd joined in with their input and voice.

On a side note, is Bearspaw access completely blocked off or is it just the dam section? Is the parking area still open or is it parking on the road now?

It is fenced to the road for quite a ways.

Any damn, err dam access will require creativity, a long walk, good friends, or a hang-glider. or of course, so respect for CN private property.

perchie15
03-22-2012, 10:54 AM

Lol x2. Or the bumper could be ripped off also'n :love0025:

bikerman
03-22-2012, 04:17 PM
Dang it!! I just bought bolt cutters and a chain, and now it's resolved. Let me know if there are any more gates put up.

BeeGuy
03-22-2012, 04:53 PM
Dang it!! I just bought bolt cutters and a chain, and now it's resolved. Let me know if there are any more gates put up.

Bearspaw rd access to the dam.

Have at'r.

FishingMOM
08-17-2012, 08:05 AM
This morning (0630) in that same Green Space as reported before (with gate) I observed an elderly woman using hedge clippers and cutting down vegitation and spraying roundup. (not a city employee!)
A quick call to 311, resulted in calgary police being dispatched.

What the heck are people thinking? Why would you go and destroy a natural area?

Kinda reminded me of the incident of people chopping down the trees earlier in the year for a better view.

tysonlazo2
08-17-2012, 08:13 AM
you guys got my hopes down i wanted to come down to calgary and we could of had a AO Attach a chain and rip contest :)

Jayhad
05-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Hey everyone,

Well it's getting to the time of year where we all want to be on the water, but we still have to contend with a locked gate again at 17th/Blackfoot. I am very close to libertaing this gate myself, but I know that may end badly.

So let's all drum up support through our concil members, Tweet the mayor call Ron @ 403.255.7535 and let's get this gate pulled for good.

If there is anything I can do to lead the charge let me know.

Thanks,
Jay

Jayhad
05-06-2013, 02:06 PM
OK don't call RON, that number is no longer for Parks...

Back to square one I guess

Jayhad
05-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Just an update if you are reffering to the area, it is actually Pearce Estates Park and the city states the park has Reconstructed wetland bordering the Bow River. If this is the case as the City Parks website states http://www.cocnmp.com/parks/ why is access being blocked to public.

JReed
05-07-2013, 07:27 AM

Way to stand up for what's right! You've done a lot of fisherman a huge favour, that contractor won't do that again. Cheers:happy0180: With all the BS of Bearspaw access and Glenmore Rez bylaws, the last thing we need is closed boat launches on our beloved Bow

Winch101
05-07-2013, 07:40 AM
This is a good opportunity for a serious protest ,major demonstration ,
Press tv ....

Then chain it up couple of big diesels and pull the sucker out.

Less talk more walk :argue2:

Oooooops didn't read the last post .....nevermind

JReed
05-07-2013, 07:50 AM
This is a good opportunity for a serious protest ,major demonstration ,
Press tv ....

Then chain it up couple of big diesels and pull the sucker out.

Less talk more walk :argue2:

Oooooops didn't read the last post .....nevermind

I didn't read the thread thoroughly enough either LOL. Apparently the fence is back up there, brutal!

Jayhad
05-07-2013, 10:31 AM
I got a call from Parks today and the launch at 17th/Blackfoot is closed. The condo complex doesn't have to provide access anymore. I was told that if they get enough pressure planning will look into another launch, but I wouldn't expect one for a while. We as a Bow river user group have seen access be taken from us at two seperate locations on the Bow in as many seasons. WE all need to call 311 the city will continue to strip our access if we don't become a vocal group.

I'm going to put pressure on my council person and the mayor, please continue to pound away at 311 questioning the launch closure as the guy I spoke to says it does make an impact. He also agreed that this was a major mistake and clearly an over sight when harvie passage was planned...... bummer that upper section is fun.

I may contact the media as well.

dwo
05-07-2013, 02:45 PM
check with the city Planning Dept.. the developer had to get a development permit some time ago. access to the park/river should have been negotiated at that time. the fact that the gate was taken down once suggests to me that the development permit probably required the access to remain open. the developer may not have disclosed that when they were selling the units. as a result the developer may have gone back to the city and pressured them to elliminate the access to keep the unit owners happy.

Sorry, i dont live in Calgary or I would help with the leg work.

Redfrog
05-07-2013, 02:57 PM
Time for a hunger strike.

It worked for Ottawa****cat.:)

pikergolf
05-07-2013, 03:44 PM
check with the city Planning Dept.. the developer had to get a development permit some time ago. access to the park/river should have been negotiated at that time. the fact that the gate was taken down once suggests to me that the development permit probably required the access to remain open. the developer may not have disclosed that when they were selling the units. as a result the developer may have gone back to the city and pressured them to elliminate the access to keep the unit owners happy.

Sorry, i dont live in Calgary or I would help with the leg work.

I would look into this, something funny going on for the city to flip like that. Ask to see some documentation as to when and why the decision was made.

Jayhad
05-07-2013, 03:51 PM
I was told by the city that the developper had to gaurentee access until the third phase was started. Once the third phase was started they have to have access for CFP & CPD Third phase appearantly will have construction encroaching on the access road. The developer has owned that land for almost two decades.

I think the solution is to hammer away at city contacts, 311, Facebook, twitter and emails, the guy from parks said they are actively taking notice of this issue as they feel planning may have screwed up. That said the city planning department won't do anything if they don't get any public push back.

Winch101
05-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Definitely ,register as many complaints as possible

Post email addresses ,of all civic ,people involved ,

Harass your councilman ,till he takes his phone off the

Hook...

Jayhad
05-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Hey everyone if you have a facebook account head to the City of Calgary page and blast them \https://www.facebook...Calgary?fref=ts

Below is what I posted

How come the people of Calgary & Alberta paid bundles in tax dollars to have Harvey Passage made passable only to have the ONLY boat launch with in 5KMs of the passage blocked to public usage? There needs to be more thought put into projects like this. The City of Calgary is blocking our usage of the Bow River.

If we squeak enough we may just get some grease

angrybeaver
05-07-2013, 08:34 PM
The link won't work for me....

I'm behind all you guys....this is crap!!! WE are the ones that protect and preserve the natural habitats...not the greedy developers.

Jayhad
05-09-2013, 12:52 PM
Hey Everyone,
We have had a law firm join our cause, they posted the below on Fly Fish Calgary.

Keep calling 311, put pressure on you council members and keep pressuring the mayor.

Thanks all.
jay

planno0914922.pdf 72.79K 11 downloads

I have attached the plan that contains the boat launch and access road and an aerial photo. , Hopefully you can open it. planno0914922.pdf 72.79K 11 downloads

The boat launch and the access road are owned by the city. The property line on the southern boundary of the condo complex appears to be on the existing fence.

Anyway, what we don't know with certainty is who is putting up the chain. If it is the condo people or their security firm who is doing it then it is likely unlawful unless they have an agreement with the city. I am looking into that. Regards