PDA

View Full Version : Buying new atv

CNP
03-15-2012, 10:00 AM
The search will begin at the Edmonton Sportsmens show tomorrrow. I'm liking the Yamaha Grizzly 550 or 700 with efi and ps but I don't like the price point at Riverside in St. Albert. Price point is very important of course. I'll even consider buying a gently used late model 2010 or 2011. What I won't pay for is......... spending a thousand of my dollars, or more, than I can buy one for in the US. I figure for a night in Montana or Washington plus gas and other stuff I'm willing to put out a thousand. So, I'm looking for a seller to deal with me. Are any of you tracking any deals incentives on ATVs in the 500 - 700cc size?

jryley
03-15-2012, 10:47 AM
The search will begin at the Edmonton Sportsmens show tomorrrow. I'm liking the Yamaha Grizzly 550 or 700 with efi and ps but I don't like the price point at Riverside in St. Albert. Price point is very important of course. I'll even consider buying a gently used late model 2010 or 2011. What I won't pay for is......... spending a thousand of my dollars, or more, than I can buy one for in the US. I figure for a night in Montana or Washington plus gas and other stuff I'm willing to put out a thousand. So, I'm looking for a seller to deal with me. Are any of you tracking any deals incentives on ATVs in the 500 - 700cc size?

Touche my good man! My shopping is starting on thursday at the show around
1 pm. Not gonna bother with argyl motorsports though....seen
Too much attitude.

joeya
03-15-2012, 11:12 AM
I see E&S motorsports is going to be at the Sportsman Show, i would check with them, another to stop by would be Coopers RV and Motorsports if you are interested in a used model, they bring quite a few up from the states and usually have a grizzly or two for sale.

HunterDave
03-15-2012, 11:24 AM
It's been my experience that if you want to find a deal you have to get out of town. I bought my Can Am in Westlock and saved about $1K. Good luck! :)

rob350
03-15-2012, 11:25 AM
I know there are warranty issues buying in the states and bringing them up here. Can't remember if this had to do with vehicles or atv's though.

elkhunter11
03-15-2012, 11:44 AM
I know there are warranty issues buying in the states and bringing them up here. Can't remember if this had to do with vehicles or atv's though.

It depends on the specific brand.

Mulestalker
03-15-2012, 12:35 PM
As far as warranty goes,Honda in Canada only offers 6mth warranty ,when I bought my Honda from Montana of course their was no warranty in Canada ,but you do have the option to take it back to the dealer where purchased...

I figured I would take the chance since it was a Honda....6yrs later not one issue.

BTW , saved enough to purchase a new Swarovski spotter...Buy a Honda and get a free Swarovski!!!!...win,win!!

honda450
03-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Hey pappy, took one of those Yammy 700's for a spin this fall. Dang they are nice. But like ya say the price tag is too. No more of those Canadian Tire ones eh?

That dodge fall apart yet too?

Ice Fishing Maniac
03-15-2012, 02:27 PM
The 550 grizzly is pretty sweet. I'm tempted b/c thats all I need. My old 1999 Honda 450ES pulled its fair share of elk and moose to camp. Still works great....going to sell it to my in-laws as its at the farm and they been using more than me...be good buy for them.

For money difference, I may just step up to the 700. I was also leaning towards a Rhino, as my 2 boys are older now and would like to ride along with dad....just need to sell the rhino part to my wife. No problem on new quad.

My buddy is the local Yamaha dealer. He just got a few (3-5) used 2010 and 2011 and a couple 2009's in the 700 grizzlies-the machines were bought from him new and he serviced them. They looked in good shape....some better than others. (plastic). I was tempted but I dont want green. Decently priced. Has Swamp Lite tires and luggage box and gun scarrabs I believe.

I seen southern dealers are asking the old prices as there was a price drop.

Bigger dealers-----higher overhead costs.

Coldone
03-15-2012, 03:38 PM
I'm loving my griz.. Turning radius is fantastic, and I've been through some sticky areas without to many issues.. Winch works great lol!! I got mine from riverside got the previous years model and saved a bunch that way.. It was a special edition for less then the standard new year base model..

darius
03-15-2012, 03:41 PM
buy in the states , save a couple grand !

easy to import , back of the truck and pay the gst at the border , that is it !

Rocky7
03-15-2012, 04:18 PM
It's harder to buy a new Yamaha in the U.S. than it used to be. Now, you need a U.S. address to buy a new one.

I'd try the dealer in Wetaskiwin or Red Deer Powersports. I bought my new Rhino in Red Deer due to better trade-in value, but the Wetaskiwin guy was a wee bit cheaper on a new one. Both were better than the city dealerships. Both will give you a discount on accessories bought at the same time; the Wetaskiwin guy will run that time out a month or two. Riverside has always been on the pricey side, IMHO.

Having owned several Yamahas, here's my .02:

The Grizzly frame is a bit tippy on side hills. Buy some 1" spacers and you'll be very happy. Otherwise, a heckuva machine.

My Rhino (all terrain golf cart, according to my teenager) is sweet. It will get between things and down trails almost as good as my Grizzly....almost. But, it has a lot of other advantages that I am now quite used to.:)

elkhunter11
03-15-2012, 04:27 PM
The Grizzly frame is a bit tippy on side hills. Buy some 1" spacers and you'll be very happy. Otherwise, a heckuva machine.

I actually prefer the stock width for fitting through tight places, and the front wheel bearings don't seem to last as long with spacers.

I have a 2007 grizzly 700, and I am very happy with the light weight, smooth ride, true four wheel drive with the front axle locked, and the great fuel range.

Rocky7
03-15-2012, 04:47 PM
I didn't notice any significant difference in tight places and the wheel bearings concern was non-existent for me in 3+ years of spacers on my last Grizzly. I heard the warming about bearing stress, too, but I think that might be another of those "accepted wisdom" thingy's that isn't?

I'm in the mountains a lot, so the spacers were sweet for me. If you spend most of your time in flat country and/or off side hills, I wouldn't put them on, either. But if you traverse hills sometimes - and you will have to do that in the mountains - those spacers are worth every dime. If you jump your quad for giggles, I wouldn't use them, either. I hopped trees as necessary, but that's not radical.

A Kodiak is fine without them, but the seat height is lower on a Kodiak.

ps: My 2012 Rhino comes stock with 2" rear wheel spacers. Yamaha might have bumped up the bearings, tho, I'm not sure about that.

elkhunter11
03-15-2012, 04:52 PM
I don't notice any difference in tight places and the wheel bearings concern was non-existent for me in 3+ years of spacers on my last Grizzly. I think that might be another of those "accepted wisdom" thingy's that isn't?

I'm in the mountains a lot, so the spacers were sweet for me. But if you spend most of your time in flat country and/or off side hills, I wouldn't put them on, either. But if you traverse hills sometimes - and you will have to do that in the mountains - those spacers are worth every dime.

I am only going by what I have observed riding with a few other Grizzly owners, the people using spacers do seem to end up with more wheel bearing and axle issues. We ride all types of terrain, and sometimes quite aggressively.

schian
03-15-2012, 05:01 PM
dont want to hijack the thread, but i just saw a 2010 grizzly 700 advertised in perfect condition at a dealer for $2800 in edmonton.
do you think this price is legit or too good to be true?

elkhunter11
03-15-2012, 05:05 PM
dont want to hijack the thread, but i just saw a 2010 grizzly 700 advertised in perfect condition at a dealer for $2800 in edmonton.

I have seen many ads like that one, they are all the same in that you can't come and look at the machine, they want you to send them the cash, and then they will supposedly will ship it to you. In fact, if you look online, you often find several ads in different provinces, and states using the same pictures and descriptions.

Ice Fishing Maniac
03-15-2012, 05:07 PM

NOT !!! TOO HOT for me IMO:bad_boys_20:

schian
03-15-2012, 05:11 PM
I have seen many ads like that one, they are all the same in that you can't come and look at the machine, they want you to send them the cash, and then they will supposedly will ship it to you. In fact, if you look online, you often find several ads in different provinces, and states using the same pictures and descriptions.

thats what i figured, its listed as a dealer in edmonton but doesnt have the name of the dealer in the ad...

cochranenite
03-15-2012, 05:23 PM
iam been looking at the yamha grizz 700 or the can am 650 2 up seat( for the wife)

iam going to can am way it comes with front and back racks bump, not a big huge 2 up set and 2 year warrenty, a little heavy on the price but i have worked hard and thats what i want i can't wait

jeff5316
03-15-2012, 06:04 PM

I would try T&T Powersports in Bonnyville. I just bought a 2011 Prowler XTZ from Terry and I shopped around quite a bit and he was by far the best priced and best to deal with. He has lots of Grizzles there now both 2011 and 2012 models. He is a very straight up honest guy and I guarentee you that you wont find a better guy to deal with.
http://www.ttpowersports.com/index.cfm

dadof5
03-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Grizz 700 is great. If I could do it over again though, I would prolly buy used. There seem to be a lot of quads out there that have very few miles and hours that sell for far below retail. Could have bought 2 for the price of 1!

elkoholik
03-15-2012, 07:27 PM
X2 on T&T Motorsports, I personally bought my '07 700 Grizz from Camrose Cylce and they have been good to deal with and price was noticeably cheaper than in the city.