PDA

View Full Version : Mack days

TROLLER
03-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Anyone go down to Flathead for the Laker tourny?

Went twice and the main change was last year when they changed the limit on lakers under 30 inches from 50 daily to 100.

YIKES DID I SAY 100 PER DAY.

You bet if you can believe it that is the daily limit on lakers under 30 inches on flathead lake.

Never even came close to cathing a limit when it was 50 but there are a lot of locals who do catch or come real close to the daily limit. Best part is all fish if you don't want to keep them are given to local food banks.

Starts today and runs every Friday to Sunday till May 20. No entry fee they are really trying to get a handle on the laker population that has exploded out of control.

Kurt505
03-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Where is this lake you speak of?

falroy
03-15-2012, 12:44 PM

Montana

uplander
03-15-2012, 12:46 PM

Flathead lake is in montana if I'm not mistaken? and the reason for such high limits on lakers is because there not native to the system and they can out comPete the bulltrout and cutthroat and most other species that hang around in the lake/river system.

TROLLER
03-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Flathead lake is in montana if I'm not mistaken? and the reason for such high limits on lakers is because there not native to the system and they can out comPete the bulltrout and cutthroat and most other species that hang around in the lake/river system.

Exactly, and the lake is in Montana Kalispel so. into the indian res. the whole lake is where they fish the tourny but the north end you need a Montana license quite expensive, the south end on the indian reserve you get a license from the tribe for 10 bucks.

The lake is huge and very deep, up to 300ft. Most the lakers are caught jigging a piece of sucker meat (buy from bait shop)on a swedish pimple type hook in deep water.

A lot of fun but when the wind comes up she is one dangerous lake for sure.

I'll be going down in a week or so, waiting for a little warmer weather.

incept
03-15-2012, 11:46 PM
Yeah, I fish there quite often. Excellent fishery. Low water this time of year as they drain it down in the winter and some of the ramps are better than others. It will cost you $5.00 a day to use most of the ramps unless you are a Montana resident in the state parks. I use Westshore just south of Lakeside the most. Close to Painted Rocks and the Delta which seem to be more productive than the south half this time of year. Fall is when the south half really picks up. Somers launch is doable but way far from anywhere you want to fish. Wayfairers is tricky in low water. I love that lake. Check out www.mackdays.com for info on the derby and www.mofisch.com for fishing reports. Dragging 9" Lymans and t60 flatfish in the mud is very productive for the larger fish, flashers and hootchies for the mid range and smaller fish. Yes jigging is also very deadly down there as well. As a matter of fact I might be there tomorrow if this stupid wind every dies down..... Have fun!!!

falroy
03-16-2012, 12:06 AM
Yeah, I fish there quite often. Excellent fishery. Low water this time of year as they drain it down in the winter and some of the ramps are better than others. It will cost you $5.00 a day to use most of the ramps unless you are a Montana resident in the state parks. I use Westshore just south of Lakeside the most. Close to Painted Rocks and the Delta which seem to be more productive than the south half this time of year. Fall is when the south half really picks up. Somers launch is doable but way far from anywhere you want to fish. Wayfairers is tricky in low water. I love that lake. Check out www.mackdays.com for info on the derby and www.mofisch.com for fishing reports. Dragging 9" Lymans and t60 flatfish in the mud is very productive for the larger fish, flashers and hootchies for the mid range and smaller fish. Yes jigging is also very deadly down there as well. As a matter of fact I might be there tomorrow if this stupid wind every dies down..... Have fun!!!

What colour of Lyman's do you use, I've tried fishing flathead a few times with no luck I usually launch for free in bigfork. I've had luck trolling Lyman's in Waterton lakes with some luck with a black and purple. The guys at snappy's told me flashers and hoochies too. I guess just putting in some more time on the water will help (I should make it out there 3 or 4 times this year) Any advice would be great.