PDA

View Full Version : Blue grouse

aulrich
03-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Just waiting for a process to finish here at work, and go to daydreaming about bird hunting with the new pup. So has anyone gone out for them on purpose I gather they are a tree line sort of bird but other than WIKI sort of stuff know nothing about them

uplander
03-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Ive ran into them looking for ruffies up in the mountains. There not very heavily populated but you usually find them right at the treeline. There big birds and always fly straight downhill so there pretty easy to nail. Walking on cutblocks is where they tend to hangout but they hide right on the edge of them against the trees. All of the ones ive found have been in the southern part of the province.

Speckle55
03-15-2012, 04:33 PM
i live in the West Central and in the foothills on edge of mountains you can find lots .. i have seen big flocks some years as allways it depends on the cycle and the spring weather as to how good it will be .. they are great eating and are huge breast birds.. hhmm huge breasts:thinking-006: oopppsss they are berry eating bird so watch for huckleberrys as i have seen lots of patches close to good bird numbers..right on mill cuts too ..used a black lab once too she almost got one coming off the ground . and sitting in a tree made that a easy shot with a 22lr:)

Food for Thought
David

aulrich
03-15-2012, 06:06 PM
So basically like any other grouse lots of rain in June no birds in fall. I guess i'll have to add that to the list to try anyways

covey ridge
03-15-2012, 06:47 PM
i live in the West Central and in the foothills on edge of mountains you can find lots .. i have seen big flocks some years as allways it depends on the cycle and the spring weather as to how good it will be .. they are great eating and are huge breast birds.. hhmm huge breasts:thinking-006: oopppsss they are berry eating bird so watch for huckleberrys as i have seen lots of patches close to good bird numbers..right on mill cuts too ..used a black lab once too she almost got one coming off the ground . and sitting in a tree made that a easy shot with a 22lr:)

Food for Thought
David

I remember those old phamplets. They were great! I have never seen a Blue, even though I have been told they are in the foothills west of High River. Lot of Ruffs:) and the odd Spruce which I think must be an acquired taste:(

mtnhunter
03-15-2012, 07:23 PM
where are you located aulrich? PM me and I can steer you in the right direction for blues.

aulrich
03-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Calgary

jrs
03-16-2012, 08:19 AM
We see them in the dark timber adjacent to willow slopes in the south country. Have taken a few for dinner out sheep hunting, cycle was really high 2 seasons ago, i didn't see any this fall. Up north (Hinton region) we'd see them in 10 year old cutblocks at higher elevation regularly. Big birds, big surprise when they flush.

walking buffalo
03-16-2012, 12:00 PM
I remember those old phamplets. They were great! I have never seen a Blue, even though I have been told they are in the foothills west of High River. Lot of Ruffs:) and the odd Spruce which I think must be an acquired taste:(

You may be hunting below the Blues.

In Kananaskis, I find the Blues at a higher elevation than Spruce or Ruffies, usually between 6500-7500 ft. Hunt the mature forest below, at, and above the treeline on those long meadowed ridges. During feeding times, check out the small berry patches in the alpine meadows. You may even flush out some ptarmagin.

thumper
03-16-2012, 12:47 PM
In the national parks, I've seen them on south-facing, exposed slopes, right at timberline - amongst old dead timber and patches of krumhotz. In the spring, the big males are quite territorial and will approach you while displaying and 'hooting' or 'booming' with their inflated throat sacks. The sound frequency is so low that you 'feel' it more than hear it. Impressive birds!

whitetail Junkie
03-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Top picture,hunting the tops of the Tree lines\ridges....very high elevation! I went last fall for them and I got skunked! I want an impressive male for the wall,aswell they taste so good,that they make pheasant taste bad.No lies...

joshcat
03-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Top picture,hunting the tops of the Tree lines\ridges....very high elevation! I went last fall for them and I got skunked! I want an impressive male for the wall,aswell they taste so good,that they make pheasant taste bad.No lies...

No kidding I have been looking for a hunting partner/ guide for blues. If you want to try it this year let me know and I wouldn't mind tagging along. Have shorthairs, willing to travel!!