PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone Flyfished new zealand?

NUK SOO KOW
03-15-2012, 09:21 PM
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has had the chance to flyfish new zealand for browns and rainbows? And how/what was it like? I may have an opportunity to do so soon. The videos on YouTube look awesome!

kaleh01
03-15-2012, 09:45 PM
Check out some old friends' website.

www.flyfishalberta.com

Dave and amelia have gone every year for a few years. Tell them Kale forwarded you to them. I have not gone personally, but they will fill ya in, and their videos and pics are amazing.

Guitarplayingfish
03-15-2012, 09:46 PM
I wish... NZ is top notch.

slingshotz
03-16-2012, 12:11 AM
I did when I first started out fly fishing with a decent rod, it's pretty amazing place. Think tons of beautiful streams/rivers with very little fishing pressure and big fish. I'd really like to go back now that I'm much more experienced and wouldn't be so frustrated.

We spent most of our fishing time there shore fishing the sea which is also pretty amazing.

By far the experts are Dave and Amelia though.

NUK SOO KOW
03-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Thanks guys, I will be in Adelaide south Australia, which will have amazing fishing in itself! Mulloway, Murray river cod, and real sharks instead of slough sharks! Zealand won't be far and fully intend to spend some time there! I'm stoked!

Trout Addict
03-16-2012, 11:08 AM
I caught a 6 foot thresher shark shore casting in NZ when I was 14. I'd post the pic but it was old school 35mm and I'd have to find it and scan it. There where about 3 people out swimming when I brought it in.
Too funny
No lack of awesome fish on that side of the world

NUK SOO KOW
03-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Just googled thresher shark, the tail on those things are wild!

slingshotz
03-16-2012, 04:59 PM
I remember catching a 4 foot shark off the rocks on the west coast of NZ and thinking to myself how am I gonna release it in the pounding surf so I just cut the line. I was targeting bream for dinner :lol: Another time something grabbed my bait and like a freight train kept going in a straight line, my 40 lb test had no chance and I doubt it even realized it was hooked.

Never know what you will get other there, its awesome.